Next Gen, MyMagic+, what is it?

I'm going to do this in installments so that we can discuss it one section at a time. Let's not get ahead of ourselves and discuss things that are coming up in the following installments. Please stick to discussing what is in this installment.

First of all, lets establish that Next Gen is here and it's not going away, so you either have to accept it and learn how to use it to your advantage or don't come to WDW. Disney is spending a billion, so it's to big to fail.

WDW Transportation is in the process of informing and training all transportation CMs regarding "Next Gen" technology.
This is being down so that bus drivers can answer guest questions. My session was last night.
Next Gen components, and there are many, have either been implemented or will be in the near future. It's being phased in and is not all happening at once. It's also the first version and will change. It will be everywhere and affects almost every guest experience in one way or another.

Starting when you book your trip at a WDW resort, you'll have the option, I repeat, option, you don't have to, of selecting Fast Passes at that time. Once you've made your arrangements and before you leave for your trip, you'll receive your Magic Bands and those are your Golden Tickets to everything.

If you're using DME. you'll use the Magic Band at the DME bus terminal. You won't need any paper work. Your entire stay from beginning to end is connected to the Magic Band. And to dispel the rumors about all your info being on the Magic Band, that's false. There's nothing stored on the band itself. It's all stored in the data base. So if you loose it, no one can use it to charge or enter the parks because it either needs a Pin Number or a bio-metric scan of your finger.
The Magic Band will tell DME everything it needs to know about you and where you're staying.

Let's digress and talk about the whole fingerprint issue. It's not a finger print and never has been. It's a Bio-metric finger scan process that simply arrives at a number based on what the scanner sees in your fingerprint and not an image of your fingerprint. When it scans your finger again, the system needs to come up with the same number within a certain tolerance. If it does, you're ok. If it doesn't, you're not. The number that corresponds to your finger scan is stored in the database, but it's just a number and not an image of your fingerprint..

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sure Disney will come out with a version that also doubles as a wrist watch. I better get credit for that idea if they do.

In true Disney fashion, I expect a whole new line of tin foil ear hats!

Should I be worried that Sheryl Sandberg, the COO of Facebook, is on the Disney board? Facebook is so good when it come to matters of privacy. Will these Magicbands automatically identify me as bein

so every reservation I make they will send me a magic band? do they mail them and if they do, I have to keep track of like 8 at a time because I ususally make my reservations months out, so at any given time I could have 8 reses?????

Great thread, Lou! There's so much info swirling around out there right now - not to mention all the speculation about things that haven't been confirmed yet. This should be a huge help to people.

Along those lines, this bears repeating, as I've heard it as a concern many times...

... to dispel the rumors about all your info being on the Magic Band, that's false. There's nothing stored on the band itself. It's all stored in the data base. So if you loose it, no one can use it to charge or enter the parks because it either needs a Pin Number or a bio-metric scan of your finger.

hmmm, that's interesting, so if they send out the Magic Band ahead of time, then technically, you could check in online for your resort, assign your credit card, designate charging, designate your pin number, then once the first Magic Band of the reservation is swiped at a reader (say when you enter the parking lot or get onto Magical Express), then a text could be sent to you with your room/site number. Never having to enter the check-in line

I have a room only reservation at the Fort for July. Will they let me know when I can start the planning process automatically or will I find out here first and then try to figure it out there?

Oh, another question. If the reservations are booked by a travel professional, will the Magic Bands be mailed directly to the guests, or to the travel professional. We have had a small issue with DME tags not arriving in time because Disney mails them to my agent, then they have to get mailed to me, and sometimes that's been AFTER i've gotten home.

so every reservation I make they will send me a magic band? do they mail them and if they do, I have to keep track of like 8 at a time because I ususally make my reservations months out, so at any given time I could have 8 reses? ????

No, I doubt it. Your situation is unique as most people don't have multiple reservations in a short period of time. You're also not using DME and probably won't use the advance FP feature

As they couldn't address every situation last nigh, I don't have an answer for you. The Fort doesn't have the same operating practices as the other resorts, so they'll be somewhat different.

Also, the bracelet is an option, You can opt for the card if you wish and I'm assuming that's what you'll probably end up with.

In your case I suspect nothing will change.

hmmm, that's interesting, so if they send out the Magic Band ahead of time, then technically, you could check in online for your resort, assign your credit card, designate charging, designate your pin number, then once the first Magic Band of the reservation is swiped at a reader (say when you enter the parking lot or get onto Magical Express), then a text could be sent to you with your room/site number. Never having to enter the check-in line

That's the concept as for the execution, we'll see..

I have a room only reservation at the Fort for July. Will they let me know when I can start the planning process automatically or will I find out here first and then try to figure it out there?

It can all be done on the website or app or you can still deal with Disney reservations. They are not going away. Next Gen is an alternative for those who feel comfortable using it.

Oh, another question. If the reservations are booked by a travel professional, will the Magic Bands be mailed directly to the guests, or to the travel professional. We have had a small issue with DME tags not arriving in time because Disney mails them to my agent, then they have to get mailed to me, and sometimes that's been AFTER i've gotten home.

It's a guess, but I think whatever they do now will continue. Think of the bracelet as your KTTW card. And remember that at this point, the bracelets are optional and not mandatory. And they're only for resort guests.

It's a guess, but I think whatever they do now will continue. Think of the bracelet as your KTTW card. And remember that at this point, the bracelets are optional and not mandatory. And they're only for resort guests.

I've got a feeling they are going to be issuing a LOT of duplicate Magic Bands.

"they didn't arrive in time"

"Oh, I was supposed to bring those?"

"My luggage got sent to Bali"

etc., etc.

No, I doubt it. Your situation is unique as most people don't have multiple reservations in a short period of time. You're also not using DME and probably won't use the advance FP feature

As they couldn't address every situation last nigh, I don't have an answer for you. The Fort doesn't have the same operating practices as the other resorts, so they'll be somewhat different.

Also, the bracelet is an option, You can opt for the card if you wish and I'm assuming that's what you'll probably end up with.

In your case I suspect nothing will change.

What would be nice, but I don't see it happening, is AP holders will be given an "AP Magic Band". When you make a resort reservation, you give them your AP number, and then your AP Magic Band automatically becomes your Resort ID for that particular reservation. Then when you check out, it gets turned back off.

Next resort reservation, turned back on again.

Lou, I agree. Lorna is QUITE unique and I, personally, am glad nothing is going to change. Now if we could just do something about your attitude,

I cant find the heart symbol on my phone but tried to put it here. HEArt

I am also wondering about APs. For example currently i only have a voucher that i can trade for the actual AP when i get there.

I didn't get the sense that they've started specifically dealing with the AP holders yet. I'm sure it's all been worked out though.

Right now the bracelets are for resort guests only.

Are the advance FPs only tied to room reservation or must you have tickets attached to the reservation?

You need to have tickets or be an AP holder.in order to obtain a FP.

I didn't get the sense that they've started specifically dealing with the AP holders yet. I'm sure it's all been worked out though.

Right now the bracelets are for resort guests only.

You need to have tickets or be an AP holder.in order to obtain a

So if i have purchased the voucher; which i can only turn in for the actual AP at the TTC, AK, EP, DHS, i wont be able to schedule FP times until I arrive at WDW, while most others were allowed to make their FP reservations months in advance? Just trying to make sure i have rhis straight. I went to public school. ;)

Should I be worried that Sheryl Sandberg, the COO of Facebook, is on the Disney board? Facebook is so good when it come to matters of privacy. Will these Magicbands automatically identify me as being at WDW on my FB wall? Is Eric Holder on the board, too?

Oh, and by the way, it's also interesting that the Disney board includes Orin Smith, former President and CEO of Starbucks. Wonder if he likes cinnamon rolls?