New Acquaintances, Auld Lang Syne…New Year’s at the Fort!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL about the shoes. If I didn't pack shoes for my kids, they wouldn't have any either. Thank you all for the names. I had fun saying them out loud while we were looping, but I forgot them all except for the Raccoon one. We hates raccoons.

I am a bit jealous of all those who got to see the Christmas decorations. All the photos make it look awesome.

Pizza sounds pretty good right now.

I love your tree! I looked for a 9 footer this year with no luck. The number of lights seems just right to me :)

A Fort only trip is relaxing! I would think especially so after the hectic Christmas stuff. We also had to play the reservation game to get our NYE time. We started with a partial site reservation (which wouldn't work for us either as we have a 31 foot Airstream) and were finally able to get a premium right at the cancellation date.

We had fun with the animatronic Santa on the 1600 loop. My DD17 had forgotten that it was part of the site decorations there and while looping my DH pulled right up to it. When she turned to look at the decorations, she screamed and almost jumped out of the cart ( unreasonable fear of robots). Fun stuff! Loving your report!

we found a new pizza place that was SO good. It's called "Flippers", and there are several locations in Orlando. I left the menu in the camper, so don't have the exact info, but if you ever have the chance to go I recommend it. We eat a lot of pizza, and that was some good stuff.

No, of course I'm not reading this TR, but when certain words pop up, my Snarky radar locks in on them and gets my attention. One of words is pizza. I love good pizza.

Flippers has been around since the late 80s and has over a dozen locations in the area. The one you went to hasn't been around that long though.

It sounds like they've changed their recipe because when I tried their pizza about 12 years ago, it wasn't very good at all and I never went back. But you are the second person that has recently commented on it and as I am a pizza connoisseur, I'll have to check it out again.

Wanted to add that I totally understand the shoe thing. I can't count the number of times my son left his shoes at his friend's house- discovered the next morning while getting ready for school. And getting to baseball games without cleats, or shoes of any kind...

Now DD9 tries to pack shoes to match every outfit when we go camping.

We had fun with the animatronic Santa on the 1600 loop. My DD17 had forgotten that it was part of the site decorations there and while looping my DH pulled right up to it. When she turned to look at the decorations, she screamed and almost jumped out of the cart ( unreasonable fear of robots).

Fear of robots is not unreasonable.

Have you seen any of the Terminator movies?

TCD

Great update.

Every time I saw Donnie over my NYE trip, that dog was peeking out of his jacket. Pretty weird.

I like you Gator sweatshirt.

Love the story about your DH's flannel shirt/jacket. Especially the part about how it showed back up after you threw it away. He sounds like my kind of guy.

TCD

That little dog is very special to Donnie, as it came into his life during a very difficult time. And we all know how our kid's pets somehow become "ours" in the end!

I like the old Albert much more than the logo that is used now. Any time I find something with throwback Albert on it that fits me, I get it. That sweatshirt is super soft, too, which somehow makes it seem warmer?

I'm sorry, but there is no way I believe any of the TCD women would allow you to wear that awful shirt. That thing is 2 cutoff sleeves shy of being a Larry the Cable Guy original.

LOL about the shoes. If I didn't pack shoes for my kids, they wouldn't have any either. Thank you all for the names. I had fun saying them out loud while we were looping, but I forgot them all except for the Raccoon one. We hates raccoons.

I am a bit jealous of all those who got to see the Christmas decorations. All the photos make it look awesome.

Pizza sounds pretty good right now.

I only know a few by name. Some are a little odd, but I know many of them do have significance as far as the history of the Fort.

Yeah, being a boy mom has it's drawbacks. I doubt many moms of girls have to worry about them remembering shoes. But it still beats arguing with a daughter about the length of their shorts or something!

I love your tree! I looked for a 9 footer this year with no luck. The number of lights seems just right to me :)

A Fort only trip is relaxing! I would think especially so after the hectic Christmas stuff. We also had to play the reservation game to get our NYE time. We started with a partial site reservation (which wouldn't work for us either as we have a 31 foot Airstream) and were finally able to get a premium right at the cancellation date.

We had fun with the animatronic Santa on the 1600 loop. My DD17 had forgotten that it was part of the site decorations there and while looping my DH pulled right up to it. When she turned to look at the decorations, she screamed and almost jumped out of the cart ( unreasonable fear of robots). Fun stuff! Loving your report!

I got the tree at BJ's. When I went earlier last year to look for a replacement (prior to ripping off the lights on mine), they had them, but only in clear. I prefer multicolor for my tree, the non-led ones at that. You cannot really find any multi trees any more that aren't LED. So I really had no choice. The other thing is many of the taller trees can also be very skinny or sparse. This one is nice and full. It honestly looks pretty real. And I have a TON of ornaments, so need all of those branches.

No, of course I'm not reading this TR, but when certain words pop up, my Snarky radar locks in on them and gets my attention. One of words is pizza. I love good pizza.

Flippers has been around since the late 80s and has over a dozen locations in the area. The one you went to hasn't been around that long though.

It sounds like they've changed their recipe because when I tried their pizza about 12 years ago, it wasn't very good at all and I never went back. But you are the second person that has recently commented on it and as I am a pizza connoisseur, I'll have to check it out again.

I didn't know that. It may have been because I was starving, but it really was quite good. And that coming from a former New Yorker who is a bit of a pizza snob.

Wanted to add that I totally understand the shoe thing. I can't count the number of times my son left his shoes at his friend's house- discovered the next morning while getting ready for school. And getting to baseball games without cleats, or shoes of any kind...

Now DD9 tries to pack shoes to match every outfit when we go camping.

Right? Who leaves the house without shoes?

Not to mention, I have boys…..they only wear a couple at a time……sneakers, and crocs/flip flops. How do you lose them when you wear them all the time? I could understand it if it were me, because I have a gazillion pairs of shoes and sandals and often go in search of a missing one.

Fear of robots is not unreasonable.

Have you seen any of the Terminator movies?

TCD

That Santa caught me a couple of times too. In the dark, it seemed like a person was standing next to you. I am sure those people put it there on purpose for that reason. I am kind of surprised no one hit it, they had it right out at the edge of the driveway.

I used to have one of those quilted flannel jackets. Two even. They are the best in the world. Warm but lightweight. My tore too bad to keep anymore but I always look for them when I go shopping. I would be thrilled to get one again. Rock the flannel Mr. Fortpartyof4!

Love your TR, it was great meeting you. I have stayed next to that camper almost every New Year's. I don't mind it other then one year when we couldn't charge our cart, but we figured it out. Carol said she didn't mind it either, she could see the lights from her window I think.

I know what you mean about a pizza snob from New York, I am one as well and find it hard to like to many pizza places down here. Bob took us (a few times) to a good one but I am not sure how we got there I think it's on 535 or whatever that road is and it is by a publix. But we found one that we used to go to years ago, we were going to the new Walmart on Turkey Lake road and followed the road to the end, made a right and a right onto Dr. Phillips Dr. and it is in there, was just taken over by new owners but it was good.

I love Donnie's dog and know it means a lot to him, we want to mate her with our dog, LOL

Cool! I like it! I'm still trying to get my TR back into shape. Crazy life stuff at the moment.

I discovered a lot of cool local off-Fort stuff this last trip. Went shopping 3 times, lotta mouths to cook for!

Out of habit, our first list we make when set up is "what'd we forget?"

On our 2010 trip, my oldest daughter veered her attention away from packing, and packed NOTHING!

Everyday she had to wash clothes by hand in her bathing suit. She hasn't NOT packed since.

The kids forget sneakers or flip-flops, whichever one they're not wearing.

I used to have one of those quilted flannel jackets. Two even. They are the best in the world. Warm but lightweight. My tore too bad to keep anymore but I always look for them when I go shopping. I would be thrilled to get one again. Rock the flannel Mr. Fortpartyof4!

Don't encourage him. I am pretty sure he wears it because I hate it!

Love your TR, it was great meeting you. I have stayed next to that camper almost every New Year's. I don't mind it other then one year when we couldn't charge our cart, but we figured it out. Carol said she didn't mind it either, she could see the lights from her window I think.

I know what you mean about a pizza snob from New York, I am one as well and find it hard to like to many pizza places down here. Bob took us (a few times) to a good one but I am not sure how we got there I think it's on 535 or whatever that road is and it is by a publix. But we found one that we used to go to years ago, we were going to the new Walmart on Turkey Lake road and followed the road to the end, made a right and a right onto Dr. Phillips Dr. and it is in there, was just taken over by new owners but it was good.

I love Donnie's dog and know it means a lot to him, we want to mate her with our dog, LOL

Ditto!

If you find out the name of the pizza place, let me know. Always like to try new ones, esp. recommended by a New Yorker!

Great start! Love an all Fort report.

My tree from BJs has the same problem. Want to come unstring it for me? Please,

Never again, sorry.

But I say, go for it……wear long sleeves and gloves and use wire cutters.

Yep, I loved having the lights next door!! Looking out my window and seeing all those colors was just an awesome way to close out the Holiday season. However, I have complete blackout shades, so can get it really dark in there.

We drove by around midnight one night and it was still fully lit! And when I went down to visit Stef and Genia in late Jan., they were still working on taking it all down. That has to be a big job.

Cool! I like it! I'm still trying to get my TR back into shape. Crazy life stuff at the moment.

I discovered a lot of cool local off-Fort stuff this last trip. Went shopping 3 times, lotta mouths to cook for!

On our 2010 trip, my oldest daughter veered her attention away from packing, and packed NOTHING!

Everyday she had to wash clothes by hand in her bathing suit. She hasn't NOT packed since.

MD!!! Buddy! I was wondering where you'd been, glad to know it's just life and nothing bad keeping you away.

That's a funny story about your daughter. Glad you made her learn a lesson! Sadly, if I had made mine wear his crocs he would not have complained, or learned, even though his feet would have frozen. He can actually fit into my shoes but I didn't bring any that came close to anything that he could pull off without looking like he was wearing women's shoes. Even my sneakers have pink in them. What I should have done is made him pay for the replacements.

Now get back to that TR man. I need to jog my memory to write this one and could use yours to help do that!

BTW…….I noticed you made your 300th post at 3:33 pm on my 3rd ever TR.

Maybe you should go buy some lotto tickets with lots of 3's?

Apologies for the delay in updates. My husband has been in CT and NY all week so I've been flying solo. His return flight was cancelled so he hopped a train to Philly and is flying from there. Crossing my fingers!

I left off on our second day, the 30th. Moving on to day 3, which is New Year's Eve.

It warmed up quite a lot compared to the previous couple of days and we spent most of the daytime just playing outside all over the Fort. The boys played basketball, tetherball, and hung out with their Dad over in the Meadow area for a long time. I went for a run while they were doing that and ran into Carol. I also got to meet Lorna's husband Rich and see her again. They invited me to come back for their NYE dinner later. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures, Carol was still in her pi's and Lorna wasn't feeling well. I know I don't like having my picture taken when I feel crappy.

Then my husband had a conference call he had to be on so I took the boys for a really long bike ride. We wound our way all over the Fort trails, back through the group camping area, crossed the little foot bridge and followed the dog path along the canal behind 900/800. Parked the bikes when we came up on the old RR tracks and decided to follow them. Since it's "winter" in FL, a lot of the brush had died back and we were able to go under a lot of it. We went almost as far as the old stop back behind 700 across from the bus depot. I was starting to get bit so made us turn back. Then we rode over to that area and checked it out from that side.

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3522.jpg

IMG_3523.jpg

IMG_3524.jpg

My son found this old rusted bar sticking out of the ground just beside the old rail bed. We tried pulling on it but it wouldn't budge. It has to be something related to the old tracks but I couldn't figure out what. It's behind 700 somewhere if anyone is there now and wants to check it out.

IMG_3525.jpg

IMG_3527.jpg

IMG_3528.jpg

IMG_3519.jpg

I think that is enough RR pictures. I'd never been back there and thought it was pretty cool. Wasn't sure I'd ever get another chance either, so snapped away!

On our way back to the camper, I ran into Jen and Chris. They were also on the 800 loop for the weekend. That made 4 new fiends I had met that day!

We piled into the truck and headed out to the Winn Dixie to restock on beer and ice and grab some dinner. The plan was to stop at a sit-down place off property, but they were all slammed being NYE - even though it was only 5-ish. Plus, we couldn't agree on anything so we each chose some form of frozen dinner to bring back and microwave. Not what I had hoped, but still better than pb&j's or risking waiting forever if we chose to eat on property. And I imagine we saved 50 or 60 bucks too. Everyone was happy and the holes in our tummies got filled.

I had posted this during our trip, but I discovered (after I had bought ice at the store, unfortunately) that the ice machine on our loop was dispensing ice at random intervals. So there was an almost constant pile of ice in the basin and the ground around the machine the whole time we were there. After that I never bought ice again this trip.

IMG_1040.jpg

From what I understand based on comments made on that other thread I started, there are several malfunctioning ice machines at the Fort. Some dispense more than you pay for, (or in this case….you don't pay!), some don't give you enough, and some don't work at all. I know that I will be paying attention to them from now on to avoid losing money! We go through a lot of ice when we camp.

After our gourmet dinner, the boys hung out at the camper and my husband and I rode over to 1600 to stop at the party with the other fiends for a while. We had plans to go down to the beach later, and still had not finished cleaning up so didn't stay long. I got to meet several more fiends, unfortunately I don't remember everyone's name, but Jen introduced me to a whole circle of people. Obviously I remember Lorna, Rich and Carol, since we were on their site and recall seeing TCD. We had a nice chat with Devores, who was headed to the MK for his evening shift. I envy his job. I think I would also really enjoy being a photopass photographer.

We didn't stay long, just one drink, but had a nice time and enjoyed meeting everyone. I didn't have the camera with me, but Carol's New Year's TR has photos of that gathering.

After that, my oldest son and I went looping for a little while because my kids decided they didn't want to go down to the beach and play the games they were doing. "Lucky Ducky challenge" just didn't appeal to them. So we decided to wait and go on over there closer to fireworks time. I tried to convince my family to take the boat over and watch from the courtyard in front of the MK based on Rich's recommendation, but they wouldn't go for it.

We were circling around the 2000 loop and I saw someone coming out of the comfort station. Suddenly I had a feeling I knew who this person was. A man, wearing these sort of cut-off sweats. I had been reading TR's in the days prior to my arrival on this trip and had recalled one that talked about these very shorts. Someone even called them "capris". Even in the dark, they were unmistakable. So I stopped the cart and blurted out, "Hey! are you Metal Dad?". And guess what? It was!

Turns out his site was right next to the CS so we pulled over and visited for a little while, of course listened to some great tunes too. Half of his family were sleeping, but I got to meet his sweet little girl. Again I have no photos - sorry - but my son took one with MD's phone I think. Maybe once he can get back to the TR he has going of New Year's, it will pop up there.

So far this was a day full of making new discoveries at the Fort and meeting a whole mess of fiends! It was so great to meet so many of you in person.

Next, our own rockin' New Years, Oppa Fort Style!

Great update!

Good job on the FWRR exploring. Maybe the next time we're at the Fort at the same time, I can show you and the boys another cool place to explore.

Awesome about that free ice. What a perk!

Glad that you got to meet so many Fiends.

I hope your DH makes it home. I got trapped up north once when a hurricane was heading to Florida. Getting stuck in an airport with a bunch of other storm refugees SMB big time.

TCD

Great update!

Good job on the FWRR exploring. Maybe the next time we're at the Fort at the same time, I can show you and the boys another cool place to explore.

Awesome about that free ice. What a perk!

Glad that you got to meet so many Fiends.

I hope your DH makes it home. I got trapped up north once when a hurricane was heading to Florida. Getting stuck in an airport with a bunch of other storm refugees SMB big time.

TCD

Thanks! The boys would love to go exploring w/ you…..actually my youngest wanted to find you and show you that picture we took, he was sure you knew what that metal thing might be.

As far as I know he is en route. Made it to Philly. The only problem is, he is flying on Delta thru Atlanta. They are the worst. THE WORST. Even on a bright, sunny, clear day, that airline can mess up your whole trip. And that airport is pure chaos.

Hey! Good update....I liked exploring that rail bed when we stayed in 700 once, backing up to it. Pretty cool back there.

Too bad about your NYE dinner. You could have joined us for vomit fest. That was a good time.

Thanks. Yes, well I am grateful for the lack of vomit. We're pretty simple when it comes to our camping meals, and the kids were actually pretty thrilled to peruse the freezers at the store in search of what mom considers "junk", so it was kind of a treat for them.

I had tried to make ADR's for NYE a couple of weeks earlier, but nothing worked out, then tried again once there for cancellations but there weren't any. I am not the planner that you are!

If your husband needs anything up here with the storm let me know. I will be happy to help him out.

Jason, that is so kind of you! I think he is out of the danger zone as far as the snow, but may still get hung up due to the ripple effect it will have on the entire timetable for the airlines. (see above)

I had tried to make ADR's for NYE a couple of weeks earlier, but nothing worked out, then tried again once there for cancellations but there weren't any. I am not the planner that you are!

You'd probably plan those things further out if you only got to WDW once every 1-2 years. Changes your perspective. I don't know any Floridians who do any sort of detailed planning for their Disney trips. Even so, I only made a small handful of ADR's this trip.