We buy everything here in Texas and truck it with us. We go to WalMart and HEB in real life way to much. So when we are on vacation I don't want to spend my vacation time in those stores. We have had to make a run to WalMart when we got sick a few years back, and that WalMart is always packed.

I don't really mind going to the store on a trip...I hate packing so if I don't have to spend time packing a bunch of food then that's one less thing I have to worry about until later. If you do pack food and haul it all that way where do you store the cold or frozen goods during transit? For our short trips we just pack it all in a cooler and then when we set up we turn on the fridge/freezer but for this type of trip you'd need a bunch more ice to keep everything cold for that long or you would have to use the propane to run your fridge. My wife for some reasons does not like the idea of running the fridge while we are in motion and certainly not while filling up...I think they actually recommend you turn that off when fueling.

We actually use the freezer as a cooler and add a frozen milk jug full of water to keep a few things cold for the trip down. We have found the prices at the stores near the Fort comparable and buy our meats and perishables when we get there. The prices are in line with HEB. Last trip we shopped at Walmart and Publix.

I plan on bringing a one of my Yeti coolers that will be just for my beer for the trip down and probably one other cooler for milk and other cold/cool stuff but probably have the ice ratio very high so I can try to avoid buying ice but maybe once near the end of my stay at FW. Yeti's can keep stuff cold for a long time if you are not constantly opening up the cooler.

Okay, I may be in the minority here, but I love going to the crazy busy Walmart. There is so much to see it is overload. I love the bright colors and we love people watching as well as counting how many different states we can find on the license plates in the parking lot. It is an amusement park of its own.

Okay, I may be in the minority here, but I love going to the crazy busy Walmart. There is so much to see it is overload. I love the bright colors and we love people watching as well as counting how many different states we can find on the license plates in the parking lot. It is an amusement park of its own.

That Walmart is where I always get my gas and I do shop there as I drive by it on my way to and from work.

You're right, there is a certain energy there.

Has anyone ever used Garden Grocery delivery? I know the delivery fee is high ($14) but I'm thinking it may be worth it to avoid spending vacation time at a grocery store. Thoughts?

A friend who was just in a cabin was "thrilled" with Garden Grocer.

I always run with the fridge on propane and not had any problems(yet) but do know that many folks do not like to travel that way. I try to plan getting fuel without the 5th wheel as much as I can, but have gotten fuel with the fridge on, just forgot about it.

I almost forgot to mention that Winn Dixie has a member discount or buying card. I ordered one years ago and they called me and asked if I really wanted one since their closest store was 4 states away. I explained Disney and RV travel and I got the card in 2 weeks. I have an entire binder that I carry when we travel. It lists our itinerary, reservations, local shopping ( ie Target, Walmart, K mart, BJ's), dentists doctors, hospitals , Ford dealers, Jayco dealers, veterinarians, Animal Hospitals, I also have member cards for Winn Dixie, Weis, both Giant companies, Food Lion, etc. to save on food shopping My wife laughs and calls it my Macgyver Binder.

Has anyone ever used Garden Grocery delivery? I know the delivery fee is high ($14) but I'm thinking it may be worth it to avoid spending vacation time at a grocery store. Thoughts?

Haven't used them personally but have heard quite a few people recommend them.

I almost forgot to mention that Winn Dixie has a member discount or buying card.

I got one on a trip to the Fort a few years ago. When we went this year the card was long lost, but they were able to look it up by my phone number and still give me the discounts.

I hate carrying all of those loyalty cards... I use the Key Ring app to load all of the cards... Just use your phone's camera to take a picture of the bar code, then the program will save it for you.... Just hand the clerk your phone, they scan the bar code and away you go... Some cards will even link you to coupons and offers for that particular store.

For some reason it isn't working.

cellphone.jpg

I guess I should have said that the Jitterbug phones don't work with that app...

Lou, I wouldn't sweat it as you are most likely about ready to start receiving Meals on Wheels.....

I also look back fondly on yesterday's technology, but it was hard for smoke signals to read bar codes.

Good one Ken. Tell Judy to slap you for me.

Lou, I wouldn't sweat it as you are most likely about ready to start receiving Meals on Wheels.

If that includes pizza, I've already started meals on wheels.

I'm late to the party, but wanted to comment on the Diesel situation at the Car Care Center there at the MK Toll Plaza. Their diesel pumps are far from well kept. The last time I got diesel there (November), there was a lot of me yelling in the speaker. Turns out, their diesel pumps don't take credit cards (even though the have a reader) and you have to go in and pre-pay. It's a pain if you're trying to fill up. Still, good prices and for diesel, the next closest station is way out on 192 near Celebration.