Joffrey's Coffee to replace Nescafé in Disney Parks

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bobby told me at my blizzard party last night that Disney will soon be announcing that the official beer of Walt Disney World will be (insert drumroll here). IRON CITY BEER. All beer kiosks throughou

Here is the very first photo published anywhere that I have seen of one of the new Joffrey's machines in action.   This photo was taken at the Art of Animation food court on June 8, 2013:     First P

NEWSFLASH #1:   Joffrey's has arrived at the Wilderness Lodge.  Here are their gleaming new machines:     They serve both decaf and regular:       There are brand new soda machines here too.  So far

TCD was spot on.  Here are the brewing machines that will be used...

JoffreysCoffee-Brewers.jpg

A few more fun facts...

• The transition from Nescafe to Joffrey's "fresh-brewed coffee" at Walt Disney World dining locations throughout WDW parks and resorts started April 12 and will continue for the next few months. 
  • Each location will be notified prior to installation (i.e., there hasn't been a master list released yet of who/where/when)
  • Nescafe equipment will remain in place until immediately before the installation of the new brewing equipment
  • Joffrey's will be providing training to CMs on the brewing equipment and their products
  • The new brewing equipment will be owned and maintained by Joffrey's
  • Each location will have either the Omega (3 gallon) or ThermoPro (1.5 gallon) model installed
  • The Omega 3 gallon brewer is also capable of making 1.5 gallon half batches
  • Brewers include insulated urns that hold the coffee for 3 hours
  • In the new brewing equipment, coffee takes approximately 6 minutes to brew, then 7 minutes to heat the water needed to brew the next batch.
  • Coffee bags are sealed for freshness and not opened until ready to be brewed

Well I have to say, this will be a marked improvement over the Nescafe.  Kind of like going back to how it used to be at Trails End (and every other dining spot I suppose).  I wonder how much waste there will be....especially late in the day when they need to keep some brewed but there is not as much demand for it?  I guess that is the case for every restaurant though. 

Well I have to say, this will be a marked improvement over the Nescafe.  Kind of like going back to how it used to be at Trails End (and every other dining spot I suppose).  I wonder how much waste there will be....especially late in the day when they need to keep some brewed but there is not as much demand for it?  I guess that is the case for every restaurant though. 

When the drink station at Trail's End still had the Bunn coffee maker, it was hit or miss.  Sometimes I would go first thing in the morning, and nobody had made the coffee yet.  That happened a lot.  The dispenser dispensed cold coffee left over from the night before.  Other times, there just wouldn't be any coffee because it had run out and whatever CM was responsible for the coffee machine was MIA.  More than once, some dimwit CM re-used the coffee grinds and the coffee was weak and nasty.  As much as I dislike Nescafe, I would rather have it than rely on a CM to make the coffee.  While the coffee quality might be better, when you factor in the requirement that a human has to make each batch of coffee, this isn't going to be an improvement.  Disney obviously doesn't care- it looks like this switch will cost them nothing.  I predict Joffrey's will lose on this deal, and that they won't be around for very long.

Oh well, I have my coffee maker, and it makes better coffee than anything I have had at Disney World.

NBD.

TCD

When the drink station at Trail's End still had the Bunn coffee maker, it was hit or miss.  Sometimes I would go first thing in the morning, and nobody had made the coffee yet.  That happened a lot.  The dispenser dispensed cold coffee left over from the night before.  Other times, there just wouldn't be any coffee because it had run out and whatever CM was responsible for the coffee machine was MIA.  More than once, some dimwit CM re-used the coffee grinds and the coffee was weak and nasty.  As much as I dislike Nescafe, I would rather have it than rely on a CM to make the coffee.  While the coffee quality might be better, when you factor in the requirement that a human has to make each batch of coffee, this isn't going to be an improvement.  Disney obviously doesn't care- it looks like this switch will cost them nothing.  I predict Joffrey's will lose on this deal, and that they won't be around for very long.

Oh well, I have my coffee maker, and it makes better coffee than anything I have had at Disney World.

NBD.

TCD

I completely agree. The idiots I work with can manage to ruin a pot of coffee at least once a day. It ended up costing us a ton so we switched to the Keurig machine. They still managed to somehow break that...

My idiot coworkers aside, making coffee takes time. I seriously doubt they'll have a CM dedicated to coffee, so it's bound to be out often, I bet, except during peak times. Not that I'm opposed to fresh coffee, I'm just not sure it's going to go well.

Also, I've gotten my fair share of Joffrey's... if I drive to the MK I like to get one there at the TTC first thing and enjoy it while I wait on the Ferry and all that fun stuff. It's ok coffee, but not great by any means. 

From a business stand point, Stupid, Stupid, Stupid to get rid of Nescafé. Disney hardly ever listens to guest and why would they listen about the taste of coffee. There is something more to it than guest complaining. The price point with liquid coffee compared to traditional coffee grounds is night and day. Although the coffee may not be the best, there is zero waste and each up dispensed is individually brewed. There are other liquid based coffee which are available that are MUCH better than Nescafé. My establishment have used 3 different kinds in the past. Douge Egbert was the best and I would put it up against any Starbucks or Dunkin Donut coffee. Maxwell house got into the liquid coffee business a few years back and the product was not half bad. As others stated, cm's will forget to brew, change out the thermos pots and forget to clean the machines. There s something fishy going on with this whole coffee change. I will bet as soon as the Jofferys coffee contract is up something else will come due to the cost. That is mostly what Disney is about, making money

From a business stand point, Stupid, Stupid, Stupid to get rid of Nescafé. Disney hardly ever listens to guest and why would they listen about the taste of coffee. There is something more to it than guest complaining. The price point with liquid coffee compared to traditional coffee grounds is night and day. Although the coffee may not be the best, there is zero waste and each up dispensed is individually brewed. There are other liquid based coffee which are available that are MUCH better than Nescafé. My establishment have used 3 different kinds in the past. Douge Egbert was the best and I would put it up against any Starbucks or Dunkin Donut coffee. Maxwell house got into the liquid coffee business a few years back and the product was not half bad. As others stated, cm's will forget to brew, change out the thermos pots and forget to clean the machines. There s something fishy going on with this whole coffee change. I will bet as soon as the Jofferys coffee contract is up something else will come due to the cost. That is mostly what Disney is about, making money

It has to be about the money.

The facts Monique posted state that Joffrey's is providing the equipment and maintaining it.  They probably are also donating the coffee, or providing it at a cost far below what WDW was paying for Nescafe.  As with many bad decisions, the WDW beancounters looked at the bottom line and said "let's do it!"

Why would Joffrey's do this?  The same reason Coca Cola gives WDW a sweetheart deal.  Millions of people visit WDW.  It's a great way to promote your product.  And based on the volume of sales, there is a buck or two be made even after Disney takes its big cut.

You know who's going to make out the best on this deal?  Curtis.  The maker of the coffee machines.

I am sure that providing guests with a better cup of coffee did not even enter in to the decision.

TCD

It has to be about the money.

The facts Monique posted state that Joffrey's is providing the equipment and maintaining it.  They probably are also donating the coffee, or providing it at a cost far below what WDW was paying for Nescafe.  As with many bad decisions, the WDW beancounters looked at the bottom line and said "let's do it!"

Why would Joffrey's do this?  The same reason Coca Cola gives WDW a sweetheart deal.  Millions of people visit WDW.  It's a great way to promote your product.  And based on the volume of sales, there is a buck or two be made even after Disney takes its big cut.

You know who's going to make out the best on this deal?  Curtis.  The maker of the coffee machines.

I am sure that providing guests with a better cup of coffee did not even enter in to the decision.

TCD

Your right! Jofferys is doing it to get their name out there and compete with the big guns. To get a Disney contract like that I wouldn't be surprised if they gave a foreign exchange student with each machine to brew the coffee. Machines are a dime a dozen. If I could count how many bunn and Curtis machines I have thrown out over the years I could stay at the fort for at least a month. I give them 2 years max and we will see a change

By running out of coffee, Disney will create a demand. That opens them up to increasing prices. Also, while you are waiting for the College Program kid to make a fresh batch, you will stroll around the store and buy some smore kits or stale Rice Krispie treats shaped like the Mouse.

• 1 month later...

TCD was spot on.  Here are the brewing machines that will be used...

JoffreysCoffee-Brewers.jpg

A few more fun facts...

• The transition from Nescafe to Joffrey's "fresh-brewed coffee" at Walt Disney World dining locations throughout WDW parks and resorts started April 12 and will continue for the next few months. 
  • Each location will be notified prior to installation (i.e., there hasn't been a master list released yet of who/where/when)
  • Nescafe equipment will remain in place until immediately before the installation of the new brewing equipment
  • Joffrey's will be providing training to CMs on the brewing equipment and their products
  • The new brewing equipment will be owned and maintained by Joffrey's
  • Each location will have either the Omega (3 gallon) or ThermoPro (1.5 gallon) model installed
  • The Omega 3 gallon brewer is also capable of making 1.5 gallon half batches
  • Brewers include insulated urns that hold the coffee for 3 hours
  • In the new brewing equipment, coffee takes approximately 6 minutes to brew, then 7 minutes to heat the water needed to brew the next batch.
  • Coffee bags are sealed for freshness and not opened until ready to be brewed

Here is the very first photo published anywhere that I have seen of one of the new Joffrey's machines in action.

This photo was taken at the Art of Animation food court on June 8, 2013:

06813SWW217_zpsdb28b7bb.jpg

First Photo of Joffrey's Coffee Pot Bragging Rights to TCD!

TCD

Oooh... shiny!!  :)

Yeah. Shiny.

Please note that anyone who would like a cup of Decaf is out of luck, there's a little do-dad on there on the dispenser saying out of order.

There were machines other than this one, and I saw the do-dads on others.

I did not try the coffee, and we were there around noon, so I am not sure how well these machines keep up with demand in the morning.

But they are shiny.

TCD