AC's Fort/Bay Lake Tower February 2013 Trip Report

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to whip my iPad out in Gettysburg and block stuff just so everyone feels like they are in Disney :) I may bring Adam's stroller and ram it into people too!

Aaron, remind me when we meet in person someday to whack you over the head with an iPad.

I was going to ask the same question! LOL. Looking forward to Date Night Pood Forn. As much as I agree with you on the Boneyard...Anna says we are both wrong and that the place rocks.

Great AK photos!

I have never, ever taken the path on the left when entering AK. We always go to the right.

I guess now I'll have to see if you're right about the path on the left.

An expedition? To get important documents? Can't wait to hear about that.

TCD

Go left. "You should try it some time. It's a rush." (Will Ferrell as Harry Carey)

Love the gorilla in the mist.

Thanks Annie.

I always go right too. Probably drawn that way toward EE. To be honest, I am the least familiar with AK of any of the parks, so I can't even really picture that area to the left. I need to spend more time exploring that park some day.

EE is the big draw, but the paths on both sides of the Oasis come back together before the Tree of Life. We literally saw hundreds of people go to the path on the right and then hustled up the left trail and passed all of them. It was nice because then we weren't walking amongst a mass of people. If at the front of the crowd, I would totally cut through DinoLand to get the EE too, but that may just be me.

Great photos.

:hah: If you want to be faster tape it to your back. Took me a few to figure out what you meant. good one

I love those commercials.

How do you call one of these over? Meer cat.... meer cat.... meeeeer cat. (sorry, it's lil H's favorite joke when we go to the zoo) :))

No apologies necessary. Lil H quotes are always welcomed!

One of the Birnbaum books tells you to go the right it is the shortest path according to them. The specifically say to not go through Dinoland to get EE, Asia is the quicker route.

I bet so many go right now that left is now shorter.

See responses above. Thanks for reading along!

Loved the gorillas in the mist. Lol

Don't tell anyone we always go to the left. I don't know if its shorter but its always less crowded. I just figured it was because most were going right for EE.

That could very well be the case, especially if they don't realize that both initial paths to Discovery Island merge together before the bridge to the Island.

2-8-13 (continued)

When we left off we had just finished the Safari. We actually rode the Safari twice in a row, once standby and then immediately thereafter with FPs.

Now we were on an expedition to retrieve some important paperwork:

Feb2013DisneyTrip792_zpsc9560c5f.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip793_zpsdd71cfc1.jpg

A few minutes later we had four copies of this important document in hand:

Feb2013DisneyTrip794_zps4eaab1a4.jpg

With the mission complete, we made our way to the Nemo show:

Feb2013DisneyTrip795_zps51bdeeda.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip796_zpsdba05284.jpg

Somebody decided it was sillypic time while we waited:

Feb2013DisneyTrip797_zps81c87223.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip798_zps531e8a6f.jpg

After the awesome (per usual) Nemo show, we headed back to EE to use our FPs. DS is not a coaster fan and DD was too short so I went first while DW stayed with the kids and fed them some lunch:

Feb2013DisneyTrip799_zpsbc958f13.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip800_zps37aa6060.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip801_zpsbf630721.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip802_zps34f7f430.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip803_zps3c67c265.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip804_zps550ce781.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip805_zps3c25555e.jpg

After a great ride, it was DW's turn to go and I finished lunch with the kids.

We had each used a FP, but we had two left. What should we do with them?

I found a mother/daughter who were trying to decide to get in the standby line or not; which was 50 minutes.

I gave them to the duo who acted as if I was the publisher's clearing house prize team at their door.

It was priceless. I love giving away FPs.

Something that will go away soon it sounds like. That sucks.

Anyway, we were headed back to DinoLand.

At this point in the update, I am picturing DaveinTN laughing and planning a new dance flick to celebrate.

We headed to DinoLand and rode the prehistoric Dumbo ride:

Feb2013DisneyTrip807_zps84c3f9d5.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip808_zps97774706.jpg

A couple picks from on high:

Feb2013DisneyTrip809_zps0134e930.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip810_zpsa0887a31.jpg

DaveinTN knows this place is right next to Prehistoric Dumbo:

Feb2013DisneyTrip806_zps80552a29.jpg

So after the Flying Three Pronged Rhinos, we headed directly to...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Yup.

You guessed it.

It's Tough to Be a Bug.

You didn't actually think we were going to the Boneyard did you Dave?

The Boneyard is taking up space where they could put up a food court that sells Dole Whips, cinnamon rolls, turkey legs, popcorn, etc.

They could also put a Meet and Greet there.

Or bathrooms.

Or trees.

Anything but that time suck.

Anyway, we bypassed the yard and went to see Flick and his friends.

Feb2013DisneyTrip811_zps9845a407.jpg

Afterward, we headed for the exits so DW and I could get ready for Date Night.

IMG_2931_zpsdde67898.jpg

Stay tuned for date night. Not the Steve Carell/Tina Fey movie. But you will see some pood forn so this is probably better.

We alway baby swap on the coasters. And get fp. So this is how that works out. Arrive with 3 fp. Show baby. Receive baby swap pass. Which means an additional ride plus 3 guests. Use fp. So now we have 2 fp and a swap+3 left. Use fp. Show baby. Receive swap pass. Ride. Left with 1 fp and 2 swap+3s.

I could go on all day long.

Wow. Caught up. Love EE

Thanks for catching up and reading along.

We alway baby swap on the coasters. And get fp. So this is how that works out. Arrive with 3 fp. Show baby. Receive baby swap pass. Which means an additional ride plus 3 guests. Use fp. So now we have 2 fp and a swap+3 left. Use fp. Show baby. Receive swap pass. Ride. Left with 1 fp and 2 swap+3s.

I could go on all day long.

I may need an illustrated version of that strategy but it sounds like one I need to learn!

Love the EE pictures. Is someone eating Goldfish while waiting for Nemo? Does he not know that Fish are Friends, not Food? ROFL

Date night!

Yep. More gold fish. At least they werent clown fish.

Ohhh I love Animal Kingdom! And I love the Nemo Show! And I love Expedition Everest! Great update and great photos!

Thanks Kim. Hopefully I can keep this up and give you some more good updates tomorrow!

Enjoying reading along and looking at your pics! I love Expedition Everest!

Thanks SB.

I'm caught up.

I'm also loving your report.

Although you're sounding like my husband by referring to anything as a "time suck."

The Boneyard is a time suck but sometimes you need a time suck especially on 7am rope drops when you want to see the parade.

I stole the line from your husband. He seems like a wise man.

:pc:

Can I have some of that?

2-8-13 (Date Night)

The kids were left at BLT with a sitter and DW and I were on our way out for date night.

We decided to hop the monorail, soon to be renamed the Star Wars Episode Seven-o-rail.

Feb2013DisneyTrip814_zps9666541b.jpg

Grand Floridian DVC Construction:

Feb2013DisneyTrip815_zpsa3be842e.jpg

We exited at the TTC and waited for the Oz-o-rail. Why didn't they have an emerald monorail for the new Oz movie? I think it would have been cool. Anyway an Epcot monorail was just around the corner:

Feb2013DisneyTrip817_zpsd301773a.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip818_zpsefaab276.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip819_zpsb7efebbb.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip820_zps875d0e99.jpg

On the way in to the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow:

Feb2013DisneyTrip821_zps920ac315.jpg

The Graveyard:

Feb2013DisneyTrip822_zps7c312570.jpg

Golf ball through the trees:

Feb2013DisneyTrip823_zps03364698.jpg

More golfball:

Feb2013DisneyTrip824_zps8ecdcb53.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip825_zpsa98ba733.jpg

One of my favorite views in all of WDW:

Feb2013DisneyTrip826_zps5ece29de.jpg

After heading inside, we decided we should check the FP situation for Test Track and Soarin......Soarin was long SB wait and had no FPs left so we headed to TT. We wanted to ride TT more anyway because we had not been on the new version as of yet:

Feb2013DisneyTrip827_zpsc31edfdd.jpg

With fast passes in hand, we headed for the UK.

We checked in at Rose&Crown and were seated within a couple minutes.

Feb2013DisneyTrip828_zpsbd0f7162.jpg

While we waited I observed a young lady signing autographs for her fans:

Feb2013DisneyTrip829_zps52ad8a6e.jpg

IMG_2945_zps3ca5f31c.jpg

After we were seated we decided on an appetizer and drinks:

IMG_2944_zps947b57b5.jpg

IMG_2942_zps9b082dea.jpg

IMG_2943_zps1f2629c9.jpg

We shared the Scottish Egg, which was mouth watering delish. I had a black&tan and DW had a glass of Pinot.

DW ordered the salmon which she said was very good:

Feb2013DisneyTrip830_zps3ab0ed5e.jpg

I had to get the fish & chips which was also very good:

Feb2013DisneyTrip831_zpsa5e50e17.jpg

Here is my wife finishing her second glass:

Feb2013DisneyTrip836_zps7650cfa5.jpg

Do you see the people sitting at the table behind her? There was a group of 5-6 elderly males. They were discussing their many ailments, prescribed medications, etc. Some of the ailments were decidedly male related in nature. It was funny listening to them talk about all their issues and comparing and contrasting them. Some people may have been offended, but these guys were all war veterans based on the conversations I overheard; so they can say and do whatever they want as far as I am concerned. They earned the right.

After dinner, we saw a nice lady receiving visitors:

Feb2013DisneyTrip837_zps7c00cea9.jpg

We walked up to her too late, but we had a question for her that needed to be answered.....so we asked if she knew any wild women and whether she knew what MPR was................and here is what happened:

Feb2013DisneyTrip838_zps35c10a69.jpg

I guess she didn't like our line of questioning but we thought it was funny anyway:

Feb2013DisneyTrip839_zpsa98eabea.jpg

The Photopass photographer just stared at her while she walked away. Apparently she wanted to know about the WW and MPR also.

Mary would not come back so we took the bridge to France. Immediately upon reaching the other side of the bridge I felt the sudden urge to just give up on our evening, pack it in, and head home.........but somehow I found the strength to follow my DW into the breach. Yep. I finally went somewhere in the French pavilion at WS and lived to tell about it. I am not proud that I went there, but DW wanted to and it was date night so yours truly took one for the team:

Feb2013DisneyTrip840_zpsb8bbd7ab.jpg

Champagne is gross so who the hell pays $350.00 a bottle for this crap?

Feb2013DisneyTrip841_zps853c6700.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip842_zpsc30ff137.jpg

DW asked if I wanted to get something from the bakery in France. I told her she could get something but my hypocrisy only went so far.

Then I explained all the other treats available around WS and she wisely chose against anything in the liberated French territory.

Little did I know that we could go somewhere next that was almost as bad.

Can you guess where we ended up next?

If you guessed it, I am impressed.

If you have been through this in your own life, I feel your pain.

We were headed into Hello Kitty Hell:

Feb2013DisneyTrip843_zpsca0d5e90.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip844_zps0bac534d.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip845_zps137f337c.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip846_zps1c55dd81.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip847_zps78e7b894.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip848_zpsc685f3da.jpg

After barely making it out with my sanity, I watched the Koi for a minute:

Feb2013DisneyTrip849_zpsf5a24ba0.jpg

Where was the booth renting lures and poles? I couldn't find one so we moved on to Germany and a very important first:

Feb2013DisneyTrip850_zpsc2f04aae.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip851_zps2a438996.jpg

We had never been in the caramel shop there before. The caramels were awesome but the caramel corn was even more awesomer.

Before we left Germany, DW agreed to take a picture with Dave's dream girl:

Feb2013DisneyTrip855_zpsc6a6092c.jpg

IMG_2948_zps0743b215.jpg

After having a few laughs about Dave with Miss White, we walked back to American Adventure.

I smelled something when we walked past earlier and felt the need to go back. We always watch the movie at the American pavilion once each trip. We were early for the movie so I got one of these to help kill time:

IMG_2947_zps4c09e699.jpg

Yup.

That is a funnel cake.

In front of a bunch of flowers named after the USC Trojan football team.

After scarfing down my delicious American cuisine, we went into the movie:

Feb2013DisneyTrip852_zps81a23866.jpg

After the movie, it was time to use our TT FPs. We will be headed there next.