AC's Fort/Bay Lake Tower February 2013 Trip Report

I thought I should have a nice simple title for the full trip report so certain fiends (I am not naming anyone CKCK) will join in the reading and commenting.

This trip has been two years in the making.

We were originally going to be staying 8 nights at Bay Lake Tower.

However, I saved my play money for awhile and decided we should add 5 nights at the Fort; in a cabin.

We do not own a camper. Then, I found FortCamperRental; which is a FF sponsor. After speaking with Curt, we decided to rent the PUP and stay on a campsite at the Fort instead of staying in the cabin.

Then I quickly called to reserve a Kenny Cart and the rest was history.

My family stayed in a PUP at the Fort numerous times during my childhood and I loved it. We wanted our children to have the same experience.

Just before typing this today, I got the ball rolling on our next Fort trip; which will be December 6-15, 2013.

We have a FortCamperRental PUP reserved, and the site reservation and Kenny Cart reservation calls have been made. Just waiting on confirmation.

Oh yeah, if you wish to read the thread I updated live at various points during the trip first, it can be found here:

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/9065-acs-pre-full-trip-reportonce-in-awhile-live-trip-report/

With all that said, let's get started.

Before we left Michigan, we were dealing with some crappy weather to say the least. Here are a couple picks behind my house:

IMG_2669_zps911fd982.jpg

IMG_2661_zpsd546a0ba.jpg

IMG_2660_zps14e88f4c.jpg

Also, if you didn't read Snarky's Happy Birthday thread, you missed my wife making these outstanding works of art to hand out to Fiends at the Fort:

IMG_2663_zpsd9485c23.jpg

IMG_2664_zpsd53206b4.jpg

IMG_2665_zps7e24b104.jpg

IMG_2667_zpsb4f3d356.jpg

IMG_2666_zps6e29f4b6.jpg

IMG_2675_zpsaef940fa.jpg

IMG_2673_zps2cb56a32.jpg

We packed the new Chevy Truck the night before and left on 2-1-13, at 0545 am.

The kids were excited and were wide awake as soon as we woke them up. They were eager for the trip to Florida. They are awesome on long car rides. They rarely complain and they do not require potty breaks all the time. We can usually get away with them going only when we stop for gas or meals.

The kids had their toys, books, and DVD wallet full of Disney movies, so they were all set.

I have decided to share a few notable places we passed on the trip down. Alas, we did not get pics of many of them but you may be intrigued enough to look for them if you are ever on I-75 between Michigan and Florida.

Here they are:

-The Pioneer Sugar Factory

-Paul Brown Stadium--where the Bengals play

-Ohio River

-Big Bonelick State Park

93C885F4-735E-4841-B88A-C39DB7374F0B-7046-000009126E27FD90_zps778cf428.jpg

-Stinking Creek

Feb2013DisneyTrip1692_zps861568c6.jpg

-The Big Brown Squirrel

-Turner Field-where the Atlanta Braves play

Feb2013DisneyTrip1685_zpscbb10d13.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip1686_zps25252f7b.jpg

-Olympic Park in Atlanta

Feb2013DisneyTrip017_zpsf57e5825.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip1687_zpsd25aa6ed.jpg

One of those demands an explanation from a Kentucky Fiend.

Also, can a Tennessee fiend tell me if the creek really stinks?

Off to take DD4 to get "pokes" at the doctor's office so I will try to update in a bit.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to whip my iPad out in Gettysburg and block stuff just so everyone feels like they are in Disney :) I may bring Adam's stroller and ram it into people too!

Aaron, remind me when we meet in person someday to whack you over the head with an iPad.

I was going to ask the same question! LOL. Looking forward to Date Night Pood Forn. As much as I agree with you on the Boneyard...Anna says we are both wrong and that the place rocks.

My very first first page post! Awesome.

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of the trip. I love you can see the screen in your home pictures. Who in their right mind would open the door to take that picture?

How can the kids be anything but great travelers, they are headed to the happiest place on earth. We also hit the Disney movies hard on that long trip to the Fort. We actually don't let the kids take non-Disney movies with them on our Fort trips (for some reason I feel Lou lurking to pounce on that remark because I am being to googly eyed about Disney but I'm gonna say it anyway).

By the way, those cookies look amazing. I am a cookie guy. Your wife could easily get a job at Disney if you ever retire there.

I'm in

Glad to have you Jason!

I'm in!

I hope you enjoy it.

Great start, Aaron!

What a great idea to add a stay at the Fort to your plans.

You must have had a great time since you're coming back.

Looking forward to hearing all about it.

TCD

I have always loved the Fort and I have successfully passed that love on to DW and kids!

i'm in!

I appreciate you reading along.

I am here

It wouldn't be the same if you weren't.

I'm in too.

We pretty much have our kids "travel trained" like yours are. Snacks, drinks and sandwich makings are easily accessible.

Of course we are barely out of the neighborhood before we hear, "I'm hungry. Can I have a snack?"

Yeah, DS gets mysteriously hungry like that too.

I'm in!

Thanks for joining in!

I'm not from Kentucky, but I think that the Native Americans were very concerned about overpopulation. That was their solution.

Did you read that on wikibluegrass?

My very first first page post! Awesome.

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of the trip. I love you can see the screen in your home pictures. Who in their right mind would open the door to take that picture?

How can the kids be anything but great travelers, they are headed to the happiest place on earth. We also hit the Disney movies hard on that long trip to the Fort. We actually don't let the kids take non-Disney movies with them on our Fort trips (for some reason I feel Lou lurking to pounce on that remark because I am being to googly eyed about Disney but I'm gonna say it anyway).

Congrats on your first um first page!

I was not going out there. It was brutally cold that day....not just excessively cold like normal.

I'm in

Glad you're here Ray.

I like the other thread better.

It was a tough decision.

By the way, those cookies look amazing. I am a cookie guy. Your wife could easily get a job at Disney if you ever retire there.

Thanks FWG. She says if she got paid for it, it would be work and cease to be fun.

First page bragging rights.

Those cookies look almost too good to eat.

Congrats and thanks. These are by far not the best se has ever come up with either. She is scary good with the cookie decorating.

I'm in... and impressed at the cookies... FWG is right, they would hire her in a second.... I never even thought of snarky cookies, let alone saw them being made... The wife has talent...

I believe we actually found the Snarky cutter on our Amish/Not So Amish trip last summer.....but my memory is going in my old age.

In!

Good to have you along Shardi. UFA!!!

IMG_2663_zpsd9485c23.jpg

Is this a great American family or what?

All of you that check in regularly know that Aaron has been a great addition to FF.Net. It's like he's been here all along. It proves the point that you're as involved as you want to be on FF.Net. Just dive in and participate.

I had the pleasure of meeting Aaron and the family fairly early on during their stay. I did get the cookies and I did eat them. They were goooooood.

I thought I should have a nice simple title for the full trip report so certain fiends (I am not naming anyone CKCK) will join in the reading and commenting.

Oh snap. I got called out in the first sentence of this TR.

At least this time it is clear and evident that this is, in fact, an actual trip report.

Therefore I'm officially in.

Also, if you didn't read Snarky's Happy Birthday thread, you missed my wife making these outstanding works of art to hand out to Fiends at the Fort:

IMG_2666_zps6e29f4b6.jpg

I'm impressed.

-Big Bonelick State Park

93C885F4-735E-4841-B88A-C39DB7374F0B-7046-000009126E27FD90_zps778cf428.jpg

You said "big bonelick"

-Turner Field-where the Atlanta Braves play

Feb2013DisneyTrip1685_zpscbb10d13.jpg

-Olympic Park in Atlanta

Feb2013DisneyTrip1687_zpsd25aa6ed.jpg

You're busted.

You took these pics going home, because you're heading north.

I'll forgive you.

Also, can a Tennessee fiend tell me if the creek really stinks?

I am most definitely NOT a tennessee fiend, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that ALL of tennessee stinks.

Especially the orange parts...

Can't wait to read more...hurry up and get to the Fort!

I am glad you are in.

I only repeated what the Kentucky sign said because I wanted an explanation.

Those Atlanta pics were from the trip north.......good eye....I have ones from the trip south but they are horrible.

I still need a Kentucky Fiend to explain BBLSP.....it seems something that would have been renamed at some point.........sort of like this unfortunate signage mishap on I-75 near Detroit:

386E89DB-EFAF-46F1-8A4D-28882B3BAEE7-7477-000009753F5492E5_zps5e0fd31b.jpg

Is it true that Tennessee stinks? Dave? Bob? I have been there a few times and don't remember a foul stench.

Is this a great American family or what?

All of you that check in regularly know that Aaron has been a great addition to FF.Net. It's like he's been here all along. It proves the point that you're as involved as you want to be on FF.Net. Just dive in and participate.

I had the pleasure of meeting Aaron and the family fairly early on during their stay. I did get the cookies and I did eat them. They were goooooood.

Lou, you are too kind.

Oh crap, the server does not compute that last sentence and FF.net may self destruct at any moment. My bad.

always rubbing it in about the good food...I bet you were just glad it wasn't pie :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

They were good. I didnt get any pie. I really needed to stay an extra day or two.