AC's Fort/Bay Lake Tower February 2013 Trip Report

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to whip my iPad out in Gettysburg and block stuff just so everyone feels like they are in Disney :) I may bring Adam's stroller and ram it into people too!

Aaron, remind me when we meet in person someday to whack you over the head with an iPad.

I was going to ask the same question! LOL. Looking forward to Date Night Pood Forn. As much as I agree with you on the Boneyard...Anna says we are both wrong and that the place rocks.

We left off during our travels through Atlanta. It is hard to drive by "The House That Chipper Built", without stopping to pay homage, but we are on a mission.

We made it to Valdosta the first night and stopped at a hotel.

2-2-13

We were up at 0700 and ate breakfast in the hotel. Hampton Inn's have good Wifi, good breakfast, and always seem to be quiet.....so we use them for our layover nights.

We were on the road by 0830 or so and were soon in my southern comfort zone:

Feb2013DisneyTrip054_zpseb71e63f.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip055_zps12423277.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip056_zpsca03adfe.jpg

That's right. We had to stop at the Welcome Center and drink free and delicious Florida orange juice. It was a tradition when I was a kid and has become a tradition on our last three trips to the sunshine state as well.

Dad, My butt hurts. Are we there yet?

Feb2013DisneyTrip057_zps91221835.jpg

DD after realizing we didnt have to drive all day again today:

Feb2013DisneyTrip058_zpsa892e9a3.jpg

DS's pics of the orange groves:

Feb2013DisneyTrip060_zps9b64029f.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip061_zps951cd459.jpg

Just a couple hours later we were getting closer:

Feb2013DisneyTrip062_zps74268430.jpg

and closer:

Feb2013DisneyTrip063_zps6054a9c2.jpg

and still closer:

Feb2013DisneyTrip064_zpsf12bd7a7.jpg

ahhh....

Feb2013DisneyTrip065_zps39d9dde3.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip066_zpsd78e9ffa.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip068_zps43148014.jpg

What is that beautiful piece of engineering wonderment up there on that squirrel killer track?

Feb2013DisneyTrip069_zps91b7e6d2.jpg

And now for your viewing pleasure......the new University of Michigan version of the Magic Kingdom entrance:

Feb2013DisneyTrip070_zps887be9be.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip071_zps594d6721.jpg

I know there was a small discussion about the new paint job. I am actually indifferent to it but as somebody else said.....it wasn't broke before, was it?

A random horrible picture of me:

Feb2013DisneyTrip072_zps8738d683.jpg

We are here:

Feb2013DisneyTrip073_zpse2a2c5c0.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip074_zpse4fbc907.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip075_zps1644f941.jpg

May I see your ID sir?

Feb2013DisneyTrip076_zpsf742481d.jpg

We soon met Curt and Jody at our site (2029). They had just finished setting up the PUP we rented from them (FortCamperRental).

They showed us around the digs and left presents for both kids on the bed.

We were so excited to be there finally that I did not initially take any pics of the setup, the gifts, or anything at the site. My apologies but some of those pics will appear later.

Curt and Jody were awesome to talk to and deal with. You will find out exactly how awesome at the end of our Fort stay. TCD would be proud of me at this point in the report, because I just left you with a small cliffhanger about fellow fiends.

We have already reserved with them again for our December trip.

Here we are on the bus to get our cart after we parted ways with Curt and Jody:

IMG_2679_zps64525358.jpg

After picking up the cart we went to the settlement to hang out for awhile:

Feb2013DisneyTrip078_zps014b1d48.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip079_zpsa05940b7.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip081_zps046615f5.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip082_zpsd4ce4493.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip083_zps5974fafe.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip084_zpsbff9759f.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip085_zps43ca1498.jpg

Feb2013DisneyTrip086_zpsadedc162.jpg

Afterward, we looped by some Fiends and dropped off some Snarky, Mickey, and Minnie cookies.

We took a quick trip to Publix for groceries, ate hot dogs for dinner and then headed out to "cookie" more fiends prior to hitting the campfire show and movie.

I know we met with Dave and Linda that night and they are always so good to us and the kids. Of course they had treats ready for our kids and it was one of a few visits with them while we were there.

That's it for tonight. Next update will be tomorrow. Fuego! UFA!

I will object to the TN stinking assertions, although I admit there is an unfortunate smelly combination of sweaty pachyderm and dawg poop whenever the wind is blowing from the south.

That is unfortunate. I have a soft spot for many of the states in the south so no bad mouthing coming from me.

I will object to the TN stinking assertions, although I admit there is an unfortunate smelly combination of sweaty pachyderm and dawg poop whenever the wind is blowing from the south.

Ouch.

I must admit, most of the stink centers around that darn river and that ugly neyland stadium.

can I tell you how it excites me to see kids in their carseats properly? this is a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE issues I have. I can't stand seeing pics of kids in their car seats with straps twisted, loose, the cllip to low, etc, etc. Yeah for you!

Yeah, we are a bit obsessive with this issue too. DS7 still in car seat and not a booster. DD4 just went from rear facing to front facing the morning of this trip too.

I still need a Kentucky Fiend to explain BBLSP.....it seems something that would have been renamed at some point.....

Not a Kentuckian, but we are not too far North and have camped there occasionally.

Big Bone Lick was named because of the mastodon skeletons and other bones that have been found there. There was a salt lick that apparently drew them to the area.

Here is the wikipedia info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bone_Lick_State_Park

Not a Kentuckian, but we are not too far North and have camped there occasionally.

Big Bone Lick was named because of the mastodon skeletons and bones that have been found there. There was a salt lick that apparently drew them to the area.

Here is the wikipedia info.

http://en.wikipedia....Lick_State_Park

I was just thinking I should look that up but you have beaten me to the punch. Thanks for the info. It provided us with comic relief on the trip down.

BTW, you would likely not beat me to the punch at a GG. :beer: :oregonian_winesmiley: :SmileyMargarita1:

I'm in! Page 2 bragging rights?

I'm backing up CKCK. TN does stink, in more ways than one.

I can't wait to hear more!

Thanks for joining in Kelly!

More tommorrow.

I would be re-missed if I didn't also say that I received messages from a few fiends offering any assistance if we ran into problems while we were in Florida. They gave me phone numbers, email addresses, etc and told us to call on them if anything came up at all. They know who they are and I really appreciate it! I had never met any of them in person prior to this trip and still haven't met a couple of them, but I hope I get that opportunity soon!

I was just thinking I should look that up but you have beaten me to the punch. Thanks for the info. It provided us with comic relief on the trip down.

BTW, you would likely not beat me to the punch at a GG. :beer: :oregonian_winesmiley: :SmileyMargarita1:

Just remember, that for me, "It's always Friday and 5 o'clock somewhere"..drinking-smiley-38.gif

I'm pro-responsible-car-seat-usage, and pro-this-trip-report! I'm excited about a FW/BLT report, as I love both resorts (though BLT doesn't hold a candle to FW). I'm also looking forward to seeing pics of the rental pup, as I'm always wanting to make sure I know about all options for WDW trips!

Leslie

Add me to the pro responsible car seat usage.

DD 11 only got out of her booster seat about a year ago. I was strict about her meeting the height requirement. I also have a rule that they cannot ride in the front until they are taller than me (5'2") DS16 and DD12 can ride up front (though for DD12 not on the interstate). DD11 is getting closer, but not there yet. It does help with not having to hear the shouts of "shot gun!" that I can remember my siblings and I doing.

So,

Did you all get the "Baby-Maker" pop-up?

I'm in the pro car seat group. My DD8 is still in her car seat and she's tall enough to ride any ride at WDW. She keeps asking about going to a booster but I just want her as safe as possible. If I had it my way she'd be in a race car seat with a helmet and five point harness.

Do you think I'm over protective?