My take on Gettysburg (with a stop at Chocolate World)

This was our first GG with the fiends, and will not be our last! Nothing will be able to top camping with fiends. 

This is probably going to be short as I didn't take as many pics as I thought, but I promise to finish this one unlike my last TR (which one day, will get done!)

It was up in the air if Brian was going to be able to get off on Thursday or not, so we had everything ready Wednesday night, just in case. He spoke to his boss around 7:30 Thursday morning and got the okay to take the extra day off. We were packed on the road by 9, with our first stop being Chocolate World and then on to Gettysburg. 

096CE840-E230-47A6-9115-262AA40DA8C6-808

Adam reading to Duffy

IMG_3367.jpg

Some pics from the drive towards Philly.

IMG_3369.jpg

This car was from FL and had this sign in the back window. If you can't read it, it says "Emergency Mom in ICU" I'm not sure what they think that sign was going to get them out of?

IMG_3377.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

This truck photo bombed me trying to take a pic of the Art Museum

IMG_3380.jpg

We thought this truck was funny

IMG_3381.jpg

We didn't tell Adam we were going to Chocolate World, so it was fun seeing him start to see stuff that was Hershey related. Somehow he saw a video on line of Chocolate World and he has been begging to go see the singing cows. I figured this was the perfect time to take him because the park was closed so it was easy for us to skip going into the park. 

IMG_3382.jpg

IMG_3386.jpg

Wrapped and unwrapped kisses for light posts. 

IMG_3387.jpg

More Kisses

IMG_3392.jpg

I think this may be part of the real Hershey Factory? The monorail is a ride in the park that takes you for a ride outside of the park and back in, if I'm remembering correctly from my last visit. 

IMG_3394.jpg

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3405.jpg

this is the Hershey Kisses Packaging Factory. It's really cute (and free, sorta) the kids get to pretend they are factory workers filling boxes of Kisses.

IMG_3421.jpg

They get a paper hat and then have their "employee photo taken" (ahem, just a way to suck some money out of you)

IMG_3407.jpg

IMG_3408.jpg

IMG_3409.jpg

IMG_3410.jpg

After he filled the container they had them shake them and do all sorts of silly stuff and then put them on the conveyor belt for them to "sealed" and a different contained came out the side that was sealed.

IMG_3416.jpg

And guess what they say? you can toss it in the bin  under the table or go buy them. Well, guess who was suckered out of some money to buy them? Yours truly

Clocking out after a hard day of work.  

IMG_3417.jpg

IMG_3419.jpg

IMG_3458.jpg

IMG_3463.jpg

The ride is really cute, we were going to do it a second time but Adam wanted to eat. So we headed back to the parking lot, which was a mess because of construction and it was spring break. Made some sandwiches from stuff in the cooler, had someone hit our brand new van with their van door and then headed out to Gettysburg!

oh! we did see this in the parking lot, which i've never seen before. It's a charging station for electric cars. 

IMG_3468.jpg

We arrived first, which is good because the wind was causing some issues setting up.

IMG_3475.jpg

IMG_3478.jpg

Bathhouse

IMG_3479.jpg

IMG_3480.jpg

IMG_3481.jpg

IMG_3482.jpg

IMG_3483.jpg

We arrived first and while trying to set our tent up the wind went nuts and we ended up with a broken tent pole as our tent got blown around like a sail. Thankfully some duct tape saved it. We also moved our tent around a few times trying to figure out the best way to put it for the tent to get the least amount of wind beating the the crap out of our tent, and we parked our van super close to try and block some  wind. 

Friday morning sunrise

IMG_3484.jpg

IMG_3487.jpg

Sunrise over the fiends. 

IMG_3489.jpg

Those damn charging stations are ALL OVER my town.  Nissan's headquarters is here and they sell the Leaf electric car.  They got a lot of the businesses here to put those stupid things in.  INC and I were just complaining yesterday at Cracker Barrel...two of the best spots are reserved for electric cars with charging stations.  And we've never seen anyone using it.  I don't see the average Cracker Barrel customer driving one of those things.  The charging stations at Whole Foods makes more sense, but not at CB.  Oy!

I remember back in the old days when Hershey smelled like chocolate. Years later, alas, no more smell. Very little is made at Hershey anymore. I believe they only make kisses there now. A few years ago they moved operations to Mexico. Poor Milton Hershey is rolling in his grave. If you read the wrapper on a Hershey bar now, it says DISTRIBUTED by Hershey Foods, Hershey, PA. No mention is made where it is manufactured. It was a combination of poor economic trends and labor issues that influenced them. Not a happy day in Hershey when this happened.

Hey, I have that same Sam's bag.  Two of them actually.

Nice photo bomb. LOL

Looking forward to more.

I love the bags! The only problem is they never seem to be in my car when I need them!

Can't wait to hear about the GG.

If we hadn't already booked our Easter break at the Fort we thought about joining you all at Gettysburg.

Maybe next year! It was a lot of fun. I hope you had/have a great time at the fort!  

You had me at "Chocolate World"...

They have a ton of candy, baked goods, etc there. I've heard the milk shakes are awesome. You even get a free sample at the end of the ride. Which I was impressed they had a big sign with the ingredients and allergy warnings printed out. When she tried to hand one to Adam he said no thanks (we had previously warned him he could not have the sample) and when we told her why she had a container of twizzlers under her counter and gave him then. Adam was super excited as was I that Hershey thought to have a back up for kids allergic to peanuts/treenuts   

Doh! 

New vehicles always have to be Christened.  Man it sucks though.  Did you see it happen?

Sure did. I was strapping Adam into his carseat. If they would have waited 30 seconds we would have been gone  

I need to talk to my parents and tell them I have been cheated.  They only took me on the free tour.  

Wait...come to think of it I think that is all we took DS on back when he was younger.  

They have added and redone Chocolate World. It used to be just the ride. Now you can pay to creat your own chocolate bar, pay for a 4d chocolate movie, paying for some chocolate tasting.  

Those damn charging stations are ALL OVER my town.  Nissan's headquarters is here and they sell the Leaf electric car.  They got a lot of the businesses here to put those stupid things in.  INC and I were just complaining yesterday at Cracker Barrel...two of the best spots are reserved for electric cars with charging stations.  And we've never seen anyone using it.  I don't see the average Cracker Barrel customer driving one of those things.  The charging stations at Whole Foods makes more sense, but not at CB.  Oy!

This was the first time I ever saw it. Both spots had regular cars parked in them and they were good spots. I'm willing to bet its a tax write off for the company. I wish I would have looked better to see what it cost to use 

I going to need lots of  :pc: for this one.

Bill made some fresh at the campsite! It was fun watching it pop out and over the maker thingy.

I am in!

Cant believe the sign in the back window.

If you have time to tape a sign in your back window, its not an emergency.

Love the pics of Adam at chocolate world.

He was driving like a fool too but as was most people on the road. Does he really think a cop won't pull him over because of it? Or that people will excuse him cutting him off?