Eat Your Heart Out Marty McFly......AC's 1978-1989 Trip Back in Time (updates that go back to 1975 commenced on 3-12-15 )

So at some point a little girl started tagging along on your trips? 

And what happened to the Burb? 

Mmmm, free beer at Busch Gardens....

Another family vacationed with us a few times and had a site across from us at the Fort and we would hit the park(s) together.

The burb was sold and a wagon purchased. Another sale will occur soon enough.

I bet we didn't ride BTMRR until sometime in the early 90's. Every time we went, it was down for rehab.

That's how we have been with Splash lately.

Haven't been to Busch Gardens since the mid 70s.  Enjoyed your pics!

It's hard to believe BTMRR is over 30 years old.  Where has all the time gone?

Please keep the photos coming!

Thanks Gwen. I am glad youre enjoying them.

You are just jealous because Jason looked so cool on his.

Cool indeed.

Love the old classic extended mirrors on the old family wagon and I remember doing a character breakfast on the Empress Lilly back in 1993. Great pictures!!!!!!!!

My dad was all about the extended mirrors and driving slowly while pulling the PUP in the far left lane.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's head to the ole fashioned swimmin hole, shall we?   We start out with a classic Disney relic of the past:       I should stop right here and pick it up later.   Those pics deserve their own up

He's moving even slower than brown paint guy ...

And here we go:                       Do you remember this character experience?     Moving on in Future World:                         Was that a Commodore 64?   How about robot

Great updates, Aaron!

I am stumped about the "pig" on Discovery Island.  But, they had a bunch of weird critters that used to wander around loose on the island.  We once had a run in with a capybara.  That isn't a capybara, but I'll bet it's something like that.

Love the Busch Gardens photos!  That is a place that has changed a lot since you visited.

I am intrigued by this photo:

16B564AF-A6A1-4801-92C4-FE18BA9E4DDB-362

That looks like the causeway that goes to Clearwater Beach, in my neck of the woods.  It is not something that you would have crossed between WDW and Busch Gardens in Tampa.

Are there any beach photos on the reel with these slides?

TCD

Man, just look at all the wilderness in that photo!:

1B256204-7AF3-4167-828C-FF5469E9F575-362

The Fort was still like this when the TCD gang first began to visit- you couldn't see from one site to the next.

They ought to rename the Fort to Fort Parking Lot.

TCD

Andrew, can you explain this to me? When, exactly, did they hack down all the wilderness? What year?

And why? I've heard many stories...one person said it was because the Fort had originally been planted with non-native plants that were "invasive." Is this true? Oh, how I miss the wilderness. Oh, how I miss how it blocked the view of honking RVs and semi trucks.

Holy WOW!!!

To quote my kids……..            this. is. EPIC!

I have not had much time to peruse FF lately, but this TR has me MESMERIZED and I had to finish it!  Like a good book you stay up way too late reading but you can't put it down even though you have to get up and go to work in 4 hours.  That good!

I never got to go to WDW until I was an adult, but am a child of the 70's so it's just such a whole bunch of nostalgia for me!  The ladies with their handbags hanging from their forearm.  The bell bottoms.  Trucker hats.  Knee-high sweat socks and ringer tees.  Hot snot!  This is a gold mine.

I can totally see the resemblance of your daughter to the younger you.  Oh and I have to ask, what were you doing to Pluto in that one photo of you sitting with him?

I just love the old Fort photos.  I cannot believe how different everything is.  I remember those cars too.  Going on family trips in the back of a station wagon, flopping around with the dog, sans seatbelts.  Dave, I also travelled in the back of a pickup with a cap…….in the winter in upstate NY……all we got were sleeping bags though.  Carpet?  Fancy schmancy.

Thank you for taking the time to make these digital (enough) to post here, and thank your Dad for sharing them too!

2007 is when they started cutting down the wilderness and I think it went into 08. Oh Dave only ford vans haven't changed much the rest have and ford is about to.

I know...not sure what I think of the Transit that is coming over.  We'll see.  I know GM made some updates but they are still breadboxes.  But I'm not sure I like the future designs.  The Nissan big van is UGLY IMO.  But I guess there's only so much you can do with a 12 passenger box. 

Peter Pan= still an odd one.

Look at Goofy picking up the kids- that wouldn't fly today:

99993749-F2E4-40EF-A154-ED06887F5593-362

It looks like that future Big Wendy has an autograph book- so maybe that was a thing back then after all.

TCD

I thought the same thing when I saw this, and it reminded me of a photo in one of my own family albums.  In 2013, Disney would be slapped with some ridiculous lawsuit claiming the character somehow harmed or felt up the kid.  

But, in 2002, you can see it was still going on:

IMG_1396.jpg

That is my then-2 year old son being held by Woody in what was then MGM.  I vaguely recollect the CM sort of gesturing to me if it was OK to pick him up.

(sorry about the orientation, I rotated the photo on photo bucket but for whatever reason it won't transfer over here that way)

Conversely, as we know from reading TCD's TR's, it is OK for guests to pick up CM's, though.

I know...not sure what I think of the Transit that is coming over.  We'll see.  I know GM made some updates but they are still breadboxes.  But I'm not sure I like the future designs.  The Nissan big van is UGLY IMO.  But I guess there's only so much you can do with a 12 passenger box. 

You are right they are still just a box. And Nissan well that just may the ugliest thing ever made.

Great updates, Aaron!

Thanks!

I am stumped about the "pig" on Discovery Island.  But, they had a bunch of weird critters that used to wander around loose on the island.  We once had a run in with a capybara.  That isn't a capybara, but I'll bet it's something like that.

I am stumped too.

Love the Busch Gardens photos!  That is a place that has changed a lot since you visited.

I am intrigued by this photo:

16B564AF-A6A1-4801-92C4-FE18BA9E4DDB-362

That looks like the causeway that goes to Clearwater Beach, in my neck of the woods.  It is not something that you would have crossed between WDW and Busch Gardens in Tampa.

Are there any beach photos on the reel with these slides?

TCD

No beach photos.  I don't believe we went to the ocean even once during any of our Florida trips during my childhood.

Man, just look at all the wilderness in that photo!:

1B256204-7AF3-4167-828C-FF5469E9F575-362

The Fort was still like this when the TCD gang first began to visit- you couldn't see from one site to the next.

They ought to rename the Fort to Fort Parking Lot.

TCD

I believe I liked the old wilderness better too. 

I think I read something many moons ago about the underbrush and smaller trees being cut down due to fire risk.

Any truth to that?

I was interested in two different things from that pic. 

I love the old Buick hood ornament. 

And it's amazing how little the big vans have changed in 30 years. 

Hood ornaments.  There were some cool ones.

I agree about the vans; except they pretty much only make mini-vans and the big church-bus style vans now.........you can't buy a van like the family truckster that will appear later in this TR.

Andrew, can you explain this to me? When, exactly, did they hack down all the wilderness? What year?

And why? I've heard many stories...one person said it was because the Fort had originally been planted with non-native plants that were "invasive." Is this true? Oh, how I miss the wilderness. Oh, how I miss how it blocked the view of honking RVs and semi trucks.

There was definitely way more privacy.......and it felt like "wilderness."

2007 is when they started cutting down the wilderness and I think it went into 08. Oh Dave only ford vans haven't changed much the rest have and ford is about to.

It's never too late to allow it to grow back.

Holy WOW!!!

To quote my kids……..            this. is. EPIC!

I have not had much time to peruse FF lately, but this TR has me MESMERIZED and I had to finish it!  Like a good book you stay up way too late reading but you can't put it down even though you have to get up and go to work in 4 hours.  That good!

I never got to go to WDW until I was an adult, but am a child of the 70's so it's just such a whole bunch of nostalgia for me!  The ladies with their handbags hanging from their forearm.  The bell bottoms.  Trucker hats.  Knee-high sweat socks and ringer tees.  Hot snot!  This is a gold mine.

I can totally see the resemblance of your daughter to the younger you.  Oh and I have to ask, what were you doing to Pluto in that one photo of you sitting with him?

I just love the old Fort photos.  I cannot believe how different everything is.  I remember those cars too.  Going on family trips in the back of a station wagon, flopping around with the dog, sans seatbelts.  Dave, I also travelled in the back of a pickup with a cap…….in the winter in upstate NY……all we got were sleeping bags though.  Carpet?  Fancy schmancy.

Thank you for taking the time to make these digital (enough) to post here, and thank your Dad for sharing them too!

Thanks for catching up.  Sorry for eating into your sleep time!

Not a fan of the van.

I thought the same thing when I saw this, and it reminded me of a photo in one of my own family albums.  In 2013, Disney would be slapped with some ridiculous lawsuit claiming the character somehow harmed or felt up the kid.  

But, in 2002, you can see it was still going on:

IMG_1396.jpg

That is my then-2 year old son being held by Woody in what was then MGM.  I vaguely recollect the CM sort of gesturing to me if it was OK to pick him up.

(sorry about the orientation, I rotated the photo on photo bucket but for whatever reason it won't transfer over here that way)

Conversely, as we know from reading TCD's TR's, it is OK for guests to pick up CM's, though.

There are different rules if you are as well known as TCD.

The CMs know they will be made to look foolish in front of millions in one of his TRs if they don't do as they are told; right Lou?

You are right they are still just a box. And Nissan well that just may the ugliest thing ever made.

I hate vans.  Have I said that before?

I knocked my front teeth out too.

Yup. 3years old and knocked them into a beer can that I was apparently carrying. :rofl2:

That had to hurt.

Well, that is an interesting way to start a relationship with alcohol.  :rofl3:

I was thinking the same thing.

I was interested in two different things from that pic. 

I love the old Buick hood ornament. 

And it's amazing how little the big vans have changed in 30 years. 

WWLD?

All any van needs are some Larry mods and "SHAZAAM" you're in a stealth fighter!

That is a very good question, and as you can see from the quotes below, there are a lot of different theories.

I have heard all of these, but I also have an official communication from the Mouse about this, which I will share below.

2007 is when they started cutting down the wilderness and I think it went into 08.

Yes, the clearing was happening in 2007 and 2008.  But, I think it quietly began in 2006.

Before that, there would be an almost solid wall of vegetation around your campsite.  Like a jungle.

Thanks!

I am stumped too.

No beach photos.  I don't believe we went to the ocean even once during any of our Florida trips during my childhood.

That photo definitley shows a causeway.  And, there is no causeway between Busch Gardens and WDW.  So your dad took another side trip.  If you get a chance, ask him if you ever visited Clearwater Beach.  I am almost certain that is the causeway to Clearwater Beach.

I believe I liked the old wilderness better too. 

I think I read something many moons ago about the underbrush and smaller trees being cut down due to fire risk.

Any truth to that?

I think there is some truth to that. 

At Florida State Parks, it is common for them to do "prescribed burns."  They deliberately start fires to burn up the underbrush.  This takes away fuel that would feed a forest fire.  These prescribed burns also supposedly help the established trees to not have to compete for water and nutrients with the brush growing beneath them.  Obviously, a prescribed burn wouldn't go over well in the middle of WDW.

The reason they chopped all the foliage out was those potato vines. They were choking out the larger ttees.

Donnie is right.

I first stated to camp at the Fort in 1994. My initial reaction to the Fort was one of surprise as to how run down the place was.  It was like in 1978 someone made the decision to stop doing any kind of maintenance or upgrading at the Fort.  The loops were all overgrown with all kinds of brush and those air potato vines.  You can still see what those look like in places between the Fort and Wilderness Lodge.  Those vines cover and choke out everything.  At the time, I was convinced that the Fort's days were numbered.  I still believe that there was once a plan to just let the Fort go, because they planned to level it and build a new resort there.

Then, in 1998 or 1999, they finally started doing things to maintain the place.  They replaced all the outdated Wilderness Homes with the current Wilderness Cabins.  That could not have been cheap.  They started to renovate the Comfort Stations so they no longer looked like something out of the Brady Bunch.  They repaved roads, put new floors in the Trading Posts, and re-roofed the Trading Posts, Comfort Stations, and even the Bus Stops.  The loop clearing began in about 2006.  A few years later,  they started to upgrade the campsites.  They ran cable to all the sites.  Before that, less than half the sites had cable.  One by one, they converted the 400-1400 loops into Premium Loops. Then, they updated both of the pools, added hot tubs, and the splash zone.  In this time frame, all the playgrounds at the Fort have been updated as well. The old, 70's style, play equipment has all been replaced.  So, there have been a lot of changes in the past 15 or so years.

On my Thanksgiving, 2007 trip, I received this document in my check-in materials:

update_zps325f81c4.jpg

At that time, the clearing was well underway.

As Lone Star said above, it continued well in to 2008, and the loop conversions took place in 2008-2009.

I don't like the clearing.  But, it was necessary after they had let the place grow wild.  I do have to give credit where it is due- they have planted a lot of new trees and shrubs, and to be honest, the new look is better than the overgrown mess that they allowed to happen.  But, I miss the privacy of the wilderness.

TCD

That is a very good question, and as you can see from the quotes below, there are a lot of different theories.

I have heard all of these, but I also have an official communication from the Mouse about this, which I will share below.

Yes, the clearing was happening in 2007 and 2008.  But, I think it quietly began in 2006.

Before that, there would be an almost solid wall of vegetation around your campsite.  Like a jungle.

That photo definitley shows a causeway.  And, there is no causeway between Busch Gardens and WDW.  So your dad took another side trip.  If you get a chance, ask him if you ever visited Clearwater Beach.  I am almost certain that is the causeway to Clearwater Beach.

I think there is some truth to that. 

At Florida State Parks, it is common for them to do "prescribed burns."  They deliberately start fires to burn up the underbrush.  This takes away fuel that would feed a forest fire.  These prescribed burns also supposedly help the established trees to not have to compete for water and nutrients with the brush growing beneath them.  Obviously, a prescribed burn wouldn't go over well in the middle of WDW.

Donnie is right.

I first stated to camp at the Fort in 1994. My initial reaction to the Fort was one of surprise as to how run down the place was.  It was like in 1978 someone made the decision to stop doing any kind of maintenance or upgrading at the Fort.  The loops were all overgrown with all kinds of brush and those air potato vines.  You can still see what those look like in places between the Fort and Wilderness Lodge.  Those vines cover and choke out everything.  At the time, I was convinced that the Fort's days were numbered.  I still believe that there was once a plan to just let the Fort go, because they planned to level it and build a new resort there.

Then, in 1998 or 1999, they finally started doing things to maintain the place.  They replaced all the outdated Wilderness Homes with the current Wildernesss Cabins.  That could not have been cheap.  They started to renovate the Comfort Stations so they no longer looked like something out of the Brady Bunch.  They repaved roads, put new floors in the Trading Posts, and re-roofed the Trading Posts, Comfort Stations, and even the Bus Stops.  The loop clearing began in about 2006.  A few years later,  they started to upgrade the campsites.  They ran cable to all the sites.  Before that, less than half the sites had cable.  One by one, they converted the 400-1400 loops into Premium Loops. Then, they updated both of the pools, added hot tubs, and the splash zone.  In this time frame, all the playgrounds at the Fort have been updated as well. The old, 70's style, play equipment has all been replaced.  So, there have been a lot of changes in the past 15 or so years.

On my Thanksgiving, 2007 trip, I received this document in my check-in materials:

update_zps325f81c4.jpg

At that time, the clearing was well underway.

As Lone Star said above, it continued well in to 2008, and the loop conversions began in 2009.

I don't like the clearing.  But, it was necessary after they had let the place grow wild.  I do have to give credit where it is due- they have planted a lot of new trees and shrubs, and to be honest, the new look is better than the overgrown mess that they allowed to happen.  But, I miss the privacy of the wilderness.

TCD

Thanks for the explanation TCD.

I will ask my Dad about the causeway.

Update coming up!

At the end of my last update I said we were going to visit an extinct park next.

That is not exactly true.

If you have read some of the Legoland TR stuff on FF you know the park is still there, but is now called Legoland.

Carol has a very good TR documenting the current state of the park.

Here, I will show a bit of what Legoland looked like when it was called:

CYPRESS GARDENS

We are now moving 5 years ahead in time to the year 1986:

050BD35F-B1E7-4C25-862B-78AEB0EEB569-362

9FB4C743-E53D-4E43-ACC8-DA56B9240BCD-362

If you look close, you will notice the skier carrying the letter "E" flags is missing. 

I wonder if that skier wiped out before the picture was taken?

F02F63A1-2647-41B3-A3D8-CAFB2D0E28C0-362

A950F1DF-8804-4B41-916A-CB1F8C6288F9-362

1A0C4D8A-7942-4CBC-A71E-AFEDAE16E4B4-362

A67A6E64-CCBE-4C6D-A637-8C9EF3AA86EE-362

9C633FD7-5C85-437A-9C7B-B1F9FC41F1FB-362

6B8703B7-507B-40DA-AB84-E7A0F87911BC-362

4B0DB7A9-5E28-4A32-B0AC-B91DA786A2F1-362

1006F19F-630E-4C06-B936-4B2CF87E57C7-362

A03BFB6E-75B7-4F0A-9100-4982C76D7BA1-362

Yup.  That is a Panama Jack hat.  My bro was on the cusp of fashion greatness.

9B7A9FA8-F1B8-4296-B0D3-EC743E1BC9B2-362

28477306-851C-42B1-893A-41DA9FF87AC0-362

4E4FC2E1-16C8-420B-88DA-DC36676022B1-362

ADF40C63-AC46-4BA2-841F-3A33B0DE6460-362

4894E231-6008-46DF-9323-DF1B399DC713-362

A5780351-1C53-4E25-9CE8-0C4A9CF2F9F9-362

2362149F-90EE-4AAE-9BE2-38A67638655D-362

D954FEA0-8F35-48FA-B3A7-26B7D2964B7E-362

CF4F91A9-5D02-4614-9533-071ED45B7658-362

EE2E5652-73F1-4D09-A277-FB5343F29A16-362

4DD34E62-B6FC-4223-9415-71669CB36625-362

I asked about this next place on FF.net before, because I was wondering what happened to it.

I couldn't find anything about it online.

It was a cool megastore for educators, parents, and students alike.

I remember it having a giant chess set outside and a giant map of the USA, complete with the Great Lakes and Pacific Ocean so it could include Hawaii.

It was very cool.

I wish it was still there so I could take my kids.

Here are a few pics.  I wonder if any of you Central Floridians will remember this place after seeing the pics?

17BE1479-94BE-408F-A112-4DF539CC46D3-362

53CCCF19-EF13-46EE-B905-3177B6180B78-362

6C18393D-5B13-4E0C-BE3F-850AFF7D8F16-362

5EC2C6E2-2F7A-46AC-BE33-0C02BB2DE77B-362

FDED528E-F5A5-421C-BEEB-966F28B4A6FC-362

In the next update, we will go back to the Magic Kingdom..........

Aaron-

HBJ was a huge company in the mid-'80's.  They owned Sea World and Cypress Gardens.

This Places of Learning was a wax museum that they bought and changed into a huge children's book store in 1985.

I found an Orlando Sentinel article about it here: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1985-12-29/entertainment/0340910286_1_children-classics-bill-cosby-places-of-learning

Harcourt Attraction Proves Learning Can Be Fun
December 29, 1985|
By Janet Grant of The Sentinel Staff

Places of Learning, the new Harcourt Brace Jovanovich attraction in Orlando's tourist-row area, doesn't offer thrill rides that take you fast forward or back in time. Instead, Places of Learning gives you a sense of where you are right now -- geographically speaking.

The outdoor centerpiece at the attraction -- formerly the Stars Hall of Fame wax museum -- is a one-acre map of the United States, complete with water representing the Great Lakes, the Gulf of Mexico and Niagara Falls. In addition to the map, there is the Circle of Flags -- the individual state banners as well as the American flag.

According to Roland J.B. Goddu, director of educational research and development for HBJ, more than 40 children's groups have toured the attraction since it opened in October.

''The student groups are using the map as a learning activity, finding the trails such as the Santa Fe and the Oregon, the state capitals and the rivers. We're learning as we go along . . . how they use it,'' Goddu said.

As for adult visitors, Goddu said that they don't seem to want formal tours of the attraction. ''What they want to do is explore it on their own.''

Other look-sees at Places of Learning are the oversized representations of 15 children's classics -- including Mother Goose, Pinocchio and The Story of Babar the Little Elephant -- and a giant chessboard with figures positioned in an opening move known as Queen's Gambit.

Inside, there is the Parent's Store with a selection of more than 5,000 children's classics as well as novels in hard-cover and soft-cover for all ages of children -- everything from plastic Care Bears' bath books for preschoolers to young adult classics like Antoine de Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince.

''We're an all-kinds-of-things store,'' said Travis Spaulding, manager and education consultant for the Parent's Store. ''I've tried to make it an educational resource for parents and teachers.''

Also inside, there is a Creative Play Area with a hands-on computer section and educational toys. The video area has cassettes by educators and entertainers -- such as Bill Cosby -- that were developed as educational tools.

A lot of local people visit the store, Spaulding said, but it is also becoming popular among tourists and educators.

''I'm always looking for special trips for the kids to take,'' said visitor Ernestine Stovall, reading specialist at the Vanguard School in Lake Wales. ''This place is set up for free access. I hope the kids get interested and bring their parents out.''

The reaction was positive from one of her students. ''It's neat -- the store and the chess set outside. I really like the books. I've got most of the same Stephen Cosgrove books at home,'' said David Stagg, 10. Another student -- Mitch Collier, 13 -- said that seeing ''how different states are in size is neat. I like the computers, too.''

Tourist Betty Higginbotham, of Washington, Pa., also liked the set-up: ''I'm a school psychologist in Pennsylvania and was interested in seeing what Harcourt has out. I think the store is great. I'd love to have one just like it.''

''I'm not only trying to be the world's largest children's bookstore,'' Spaulding said. ''I want to have those special things that make people come back.''

HBJ sold off its theme park division in 1989.

I'm not sure what happened to Places of Learning.

TCD

I remember visiting Stars Hall of Fame in the 70's. The building is still there but don't think it's anything to do with amusement biz anymore. They had some cool people in there. Very lifelike. When I was a kid I thought Disney was so magic that it brought back all those dead presidents. I went to the HOP a couple weeks ago and thought about when I first went in the early 70's and the cool stuff they had. I miss some of that.