New to Camping, New to Fort Fiends...HELP!!!!

Greetings Fellow Fort Fiends,

Hubby and I are not new to Disney; we've been living it up at WDW for MANY years now (DVC members).  We recently bought an RV to enjoy retirement in and will arrive on 4/25 at Fort Wilderness for our very first (but not last) time!!!  Bringing our sweet Dandee; the Goldendoodle with us.

We have a Premium site reserved in a dog loop; what loop has the most room for us to back up and get in to cuz this is our first time camping anywhere!!!  As far as our dog she will do her "duty" without taking a long walk (yes we do bring our bags with us to clean up), so tell us the best loop that is for first timers.

Also, is a golf cart necessary?  Do we rent that from Disney after we arrive?

Thanks much!!!

Sue/Tom and Dandee the Doodle Dog

Personally, we like the full hookup loops so I can't help you there. Disney does provide pick up bags for doggie droppings. I like your choice of dogs. We got our Goldendoodle about a year ago and he is the greatest dog.

We never use a golf cart - we take bikes instead. If you want a cart from Disney, better reserve in advance. There are a couple offsite vendors which will save you some big bucks, as Disney carts are pricey. Some of the Fiends who rent carts will be able to help you there.

If you would like to utilize the off-leash dog park and stay in a Premium loop, I suggest 500.  It is across the street from the dog park, and is an easy walk to the Settlement area where the restaurant is, a trading post, and the marina where you pick up the boats to MK, and the resort boat to CR and WL.  Like FWG said, if you ride bikes you don't need a cart.  We've done trips with and without carts, and while looping on a cart is fun you can have a great time and get around without one.  If you don't bike, the internal bus system can get you where you need to be.  If you do want to rent a cart, we have rented from both Disney and from Kenny...who is reliable and has provided great service to many Fiends.  There is a golf cart info page here on FF.net with his contact info.

Welcome Sue and Tom!!

Some good info already.  If it helps, we have a bunch of site/loop info stored in our Info Pages - including site specs, links to videos of all camping loops and the oh-so-spiffy mobile app...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/loop-information/site-classifications-r61

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/fort-wilderness-sites-mobile-app-now-available-r265

Oh and here's the main Site Map page to find all the other useful info we've been accumulating over the years...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/info/site-map-find-what-you-need-here-r99

null.jpg

That's brilliant.  :)

Welcome!!!

I prefer the full hook up sites as well.  The 1700 loop to be exact.  We also travel with our dogs, Tigger (maltipoo), and Tinkerbell (schnoodle).  Our daughter, son in law, granddaughter and grandson usually travel with us too.

We use our bikes, walk, or use the buses.  From the 1700 loop it is approximately 1/2 mile to the outpost and the marina.  So, it's pretty centerally located.  The dog park is only a short walk as well.

Enjoy your stay at the Fort!!

Welcome former neighbor. I just sold my house in Greenville, GA. You will love camping specifically at the Fort. We love the 1400 loop for us. We also take our own golf cart but we used to rent from Golf Cart Enterprises for years, a lot cheaper than the Fort's golf carts. I used to check in then go pick up the golf cart in my truck, I would bring my own ramps, but I  think they deliver now, but not sure. Anyway enjoy your trip. 

Welcome former neighbor. I just sold my house in Greenville, GA. You will love camping specifically at the Fort. We love the 1400 loop for us. We also take our own golf cart but we used to rent from Golf Cart Enterprises for years, a lot cheaper than the Fort's golf carts. I used to check in then go pick up the golf cart in my truck, I would bring my own ramps, but I  think they deliver now, but not sure. Anyway enjoy your trip. 

Golf Cart Enterprises is still renting carts, but unless something's changed recently, you have to go pick them up. 

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions and the warm welcome!  We can't wait to get there on Thursday!!!!

Have a great time.

And please come back to this thread after your trip and let us know which loop you ended up on, and whether or not you liked it.

Everyone has reasons for liking one loop more than another, and I always find it interesting to hear about.

In case you don't know, if you get to your assigned site and you hate it or you don't think you can back in to it, you can go to any comfort station and call the front desk on a house phone and ask for a different site.  If you see any empty sites that you like, jot down the numbers and ask.  Usually, they can reassign you right over the phone.

TCD