The Unexpected Journey

Nice job on the trip report Dave.  I am jealous and a little angry about all the cool stuff DL has and the crappy stuff they don't have...

Haves:

Short walks

No lines

Dumbo and Tink flying around castle

Mr. Toad

Iron man suits

Superior Space Ranger Spin

Matterhorn

Pinocchio ride

Snow White ride

Alice ride

Indiana Jones ride

Characters just walking around

Disney characters in IASW

Toon Town    

Evil Queen looking out window

2 boats on RoA

Elvis

Don't haves:

Busses with cranky drivers

Rude people standing in front of your kids during parades

Photographers in knickers

I am sure there is some stuff I missed and you havn't even gotten to CA, which I know has Cars Land, which looks super cool.  I can't help but ask why?  Why does DL have all this great stuff and WDW, which was supposed to be a reboot of DL, just gets lamer and lamer?  Sure....WDW just got "New Fantasyland".  Who cares?  The Little Mermaid SMB,....who knows when the Mine train will open,..... and they added another Dumbo so we only have to wait 45 minutes to ride it instead of 1 1/2 hours.  EPCOT is a joke.  It's best attraction is Soarin' - or should I say "Soarin' over California", as it was at DL first!  TT sucks since the neon redo.  Innoventions has nothing to do with the future anymore, just propaganda for the corporations that sponser it.  Then theres the WS.  Basically just a collection of gift shops of crap from other countries and over priced alcohol.  What about HS you say?  "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is 30 years old!  Get a new show for gosh sake!  Lights Motors Action?  A transplant from Disney Paris.  American Idol is a turd.  The 3 decent attractions, TSM, ToT and RRR have such long lines your lucky to ride all three in a day....which is just proof the rest of the park blows.  Don't even get me started on the treatment of the Fort over the last 40 years....but "Hey, let's build a bunch of resorts and DVC's so that we can pack even more people into the parks", virtually making each of our ticket dollars worth less and less.  Building any DVC's in Anaheim?  No?  Yet somehow they keep the doors open and keep adding new attractions at DL.  Funny, isn't it?  Personally I think it is because all the Disney big whigs live in LA, and they have their own personal park and the hell with the Florida project.

Okay, so apparently I am more than a little jealous and angry.  So "why go?" you ask.  Because we love it, thats why!  Just because you love something doesn't mean you wouldn't like to see it be better.

Sorry for the rant in the middle of your TR.  Keep up the good work, and thanks for writing it!

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the site was up last week, you might have noticed I have been absent.   The reason for the absence would be our last minute decision to take a trip.   I normally do not do trip reports because my l

DISCLAIMER: I suck at responding to every response. I can never remember the max number of quote blocks and I loose track of who I responded to and all that. So Im not gonna pretend. Lets just say tha

One thing to note, and a major difference between DL and WDW, is that all of the ride queues are outside. Once you walk through the doors of the attraction, you are boarding the ride.     So who guess

Well honestly, until just a few years ago DL was the red headed step child.  The DL park itself was woefully in need of major maintenance, and California Adventure before the big remodel was just pitiful built on the cheap.  It's all cyclical. Once they totally finish with New Fantasyland, I'm guessing another park at WDW will get some attention.

Oh, and a portion of the Grand Californian hotel out at DL IS DVC.

Lets move onto Day 3.

This was California Adventures day.

It was a 8am opening, which meant we got at 7am.

DTD is so peaceful in the mornings

420656_10151395402133663_1437527545_n.jp

We get to the gates and get our tickets and are on our way.

First order of business was California Screamin, so we head to the Pier.

923515_10151395402458663_922302408_n.jpg

That coaster you see in the back ground is our destination.

Seems easy enough to find doesn't it?

Well its not, we walked right past the entrance.

It is kind of tucked back off the pier area and if your taking in all the sites, can easily miss it.

Like we did.

But we eventually found it.

And it wasn't even bad.

We walked right on. It was such a walk on, we sat in the front seats of the front car and had the whole coaster to ourselves.

This coaster launches you like RNR does, complete with countdown minus the Aerosmith voice.

298289_10151395402478663_1128800064_n.jp

So I guess you could say its like RNR without the Aerosmith theme.

601824_10151395402473663_2434248_n.jpg

Now it was cold this morning. 52 if I remember correctly. But was supposed to get up to 85, so we wore shorts. Not the best idea for an early morning roller coaster.

But it was worth freezing our butts off.

Remember I said we had the whole thing to ourselves?

922738_10151395402673663_720342426_n.jpg

After CS, we head to another favorite.

TSM

and it was walk on as well.

It is the same as the one at WDW, but the queue is outside rather than inside. 

I won of course.

Then we were off to the Little Mermaid ride.

Other than the outside façade, it is the exact same ride. So much so, I walked off the ride and felt like I was back at WDW until we walked out the door.

We did not plan to ride those, but they were walk ons, so why not.

Now we are headed to Carsland. Our plan here was to ride the Radiator Springs Racers.

11950_10151395402698663_1218305608_n.jpg

298132_10151395402728663_4746494_n.jpg

58095_10151395402823663_1644134618_n.jpg

298108_10151395402918663_1854699948_n.jp

The ride entrance was at the end of the road.

As we get closer, we notice a rope across the street and cast members standing around the rope.

That's never good.

Sure enough, the ride was down.

Well pooh.

Good thing is they were issuing FPs for it. And the return times were not being enforced if you show back up late because it was down.

The only problem is they were not issuing them until regular park open at 8.

There was already a line formed for the FPs so we get in line.

The regular schumks who didn't get that extra hour of magic.

417866_10151395402993663_1328942006_n.jp

We get our FPs with a return of 1030. Yes 1030 even though we were in line at 8am.

This is a popular ride.

We stop for some photo ops.

67541_10151395403028663_2061602718_n.jpg

374996_10151395403048663_1112318609_n.jp

I was surprised with the amount of cast members who we talked to that told us they started out at WDW. They all said the same thing though, do not transfer to DL. They were all trying to transfer back to WDW.

Since we had almost completed our list and it was only 8, we decided to wander the park.

We head off to Hollywood land.

524657_10151395403158663_508531530_n.jpg

This area is mostly stores

But they apparently have the best wieners

923114_10151395403248663_1427893352_n.jp

They also have this

575353_10151395403198663_1296817032_n.jp

It has different things in it similar to the animation bldg. in Studios.

You can see which character your most like in Beasts library

551528_10151395403288663_1298082695_n.jp

524657_10151395403298663_816601150_n.jpg

Ursella can steal your voice

and you can make animated cards

Also in this bldg. is turtle talk with crush and the animation class

They also had this cool little thing

936182_10151395403363663_361617473_n.jpg

I know it doesn't look like much, but this set up spins at a high rate of speed. Then a strobe light flashes and gives the appearance that the figures are moving.

This is what it looks like when the lights aren't flashing

62616_10151395403483663_212915197_n.jpg

and this is what it looks like moving

http://youtu.be/0934QvPMZjI

Next we head to the laugh floor, but nothing is funny about it........

I love the zoetrope.  I have a still pic of it on my monitor at work.  It makes me smile. 

I was at California Adventure MLK weekend.  It was also 1/2 marathon weekend.  The line just to get Radiator Springs fast passes was 90 minutes long and they were all given out by 10:00 AM.  Without a fast pass I waited in line 2 1/2 hours to ride it.  Yep.  2 1/2 hours.  :(

I love the zoetrope.  I have a still pic of it on my monitor at work.  It makes me smile. 

I was at California Adventure MLK weekend.  It was also 1/2 marathon weekend.  The line just to get Radiator Springs fast passes was 90 minutes long and they were all given out by 10:00 AM.  Without a fast pass I waited in line 2 1/2 hours to ride it.  Yep.  2 1/2 hours.  :(

If you added a couple of pictures to this, it would be the basis of a pretty interesting trip report.

Jusy sayin'

TCD

WOW!!  Walk on for TSM?????!!!!!  When I went TSM was a HUGE deal.  I wasn't staying at an onsite hotel, so didn't have the early entry.

They did rope drop pretty uniquely for TSM.  I would be one of the first at the turnstyles, then they would open Sunshine Plaza (before the remodel), and there was a separate line for TSM inside the plaza.  Then at about 5 minutes before opening, they would start walking folks back single file into TSM. So that at park opening you were at the TSM entrance and riding about 2 minutes after opening.  After that point, there was no riding without an hour+ wait.

But actually it was about an hour worth of time invested behind the turnstyles to be first.

WOW!!  Walk on for TSM? ????!!!!!  When I went TSM was a HUGE deal.  I wasn't staying at an onsite hotel, so didn't have the early entry.

They did rope drop pretty uniquely for TSM.  I would be one of the first at the turnstyles, then they would open Sunshine Plaza (before the remodel), and there was a separate line for TSM inside the plaza.  Then at about 5 minutes before opening, they would start walking folks back single file into TSM. So that at park opening you were at the TSM entrance and riding about 2 minutes after opening.  After that point, there was no riding without an hour+ wait.

But actually it was about an hour worth of time invested behind the turnstyles to be first.

You just convinced me that if the TCD gang ever goes to DL, we will need to stay in a Disney hotel.  All the walk-ons Dave had in that first hour make it worth it.

TCD

Nice job on the trip report Dave.  I am jealous and a little angry about all the cool stuff DL has and the crappy stuff they don't have...

Haves:

Short walks

No lines

Dumbo and Tink flying around castle

Mr. Toad

Iron man suits

Superior Space Ranger Spin

Matterhorn

Pinocchio ride

Snow White ride

Alice ride

Indiana Jones ride

Characters just walking around

Disney characters in IASW

Toon Town    

Evil Queen looking out window

2 boats on RoA

Elvis

Don't haves:

Busses with cranky drivers

Rude people standing in front of your kids during parades

Photographers in knickers

I am sure there is some stuff I missed and you havn't even gotten to CA, which I know has Cars Land, which looks super cool.  I can't help but ask why?  Why does DL have all this great stuff and WDW, which was supposed to be a reboot of DL, just gets lamer and lamer?  Sure....WDW just got "New Fantasyland".  Who cares?  The Little Mermaid SMB,....who knows when the Mine train will open,..... and they added another Dumbo so we only have to wait 45 minutes to ride it instead of 1 1/2 hours.  EPCOT is a joke.  It's best attraction is Soarin' - or should I say "Soarin' over California", as it was at DL first!  TT sucks since the neon redo.  Innoventions has nothing to do with the future anymore, just propaganda for the corporations that sponser it.  Then theres the WS.  Basically just a collection of gift shops of crap from other countries and over priced alcohol.  What about HS you say?  "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is 30 years old!  Get a new show for gosh sake!  Lights Motors Action?  A transplant from Disney Paris.  American Idol is a turd.  The 3 decent attractions, TSM, ToT and RRR have such long lines your lucky to ride all three in a day....which is just proof the rest of the park blows.  Don't even get me started on the treatment of the Fort over the last 40 years....but "Hey, let's build a bunch of resorts and DVC's so that we can pack even more people into the parks", virtually making each of our ticket dollars worth less and less.  Building any DVC's in Anaheim?  No?  Yet somehow they keep the doors open and keep adding new attractions at DL.  Funny, isn't it?  Personally I think it is because all the Disney big whigs live in LA, and they have their own personal park and the hell with the Florida project.

Okay, so apparently I am more than a little jealous and angry.  So "why go?" you ask.  Because we love it, thats why!  Just because you love something doesn't mean you wouldn't like to see it be better.

Sorry for the rant in the middle of your TR.  Keep up the good work, and thanks for writing it!

Disney is a passion. You either get it or you don't. That's why we went to DL on vacation even though we live and work at WDW. This is also why DL has changed very little over the years. The people who go there (locals who grew up in the area and appreciate Walt's vision) don't want it to change. WDW has to change to remain relevant to an international crowd that does not necessarily know Walt's dream, much less care. So WDW changes to keep those crowds coming.  

Well honestly, until just a few years ago DL was the red headed step child.  The DL park itself was woefully in need of major maintenance, and California Adventure before the big remodel was just pitiful built on the cheap.  It's all cyclical. Once they totally finish with New Fantasyland, I'm guessing another park at WDW will get some attention.

Oh, and a portion of the Grand Californian hotel out at DL IS DVC.

Yes, they do have DVC at DL as well. They just don't have the area to expand there and build a whole DVC resort.

I LOVE that zoetrope.  Amazing. 

And Cars Land looks very cool. 

But Ariel?  SMB....

It was walk on and my wife loves Ariel, so we went......

Poor Shmucks.  Looks like a lot of them.  And it looks like staying on site is the only way to go.  

I like the different things.  Too bad I will never get hubby to spring for the airfare.

Staying at a Disney resort is the way to go if visiting DL. Heres why I believe so. DL is not as much a tourist destination as WDW is. Most visitors are locals looking for something to do. The others usually stay at the other hotels around DL as they are cheaper and you don't have the whole transportation issue as WDW does. All the hotels are within walking distance so why pay the extra to stay at a Disney resort? So the few who do stay at a Disney resort get the hook up with that extra hour where no one else can get in.

And since this is a camping board at heart, there are two campgrounds within walking distance of DL. So, no need for airfare.

That's what we heard too.

The zoetrope was very cool. Thanks for sharing Dave!

I thought it was cool. We almost walked past it but it started when we walked by so we stopped to see it.

If you added a couple of pictures to this, it would be the basis of a pretty interesting trip report.

Jusy sayin'

TCD

Soliciting for a TR from another TR? Youre addicted Andrew. The first step is to admit it.

I agree though, no TR from your trip?

You are brave to hold your camera on a rollercoaster.

Cars Land looks cool!

I had the strap around my neck and a firm grip. But I couldn't hold it up to my eye so I was just pushing the shutter release from where I was holding it.

He's a pro!

Some will say that.....

WOW!!  Walk on for TSM? ????!!!!!  When I went TSM was a HUGE deal.  I wasn't staying at an onsite hotel, so didn't have the early entry.

This day it was basically the same deal, but with the radiator springs racers. They led the schmucks to carsland and down the road to the ride, even though it was down. Those people waited for it to open which backed the line up. You will see later in the TR.

You just convinced me that if the TCD gang ever goes to DL, we will need to stay in a Disney hotel.  All the walk-ons Dave had in that first hour make it worth it.

TCD

It was worth it. I laughed that they only give resort guests an hour, but I see now that it was well worth it. Course, other factors could have played into this such as time of year and weather. They also have days where they let AP holders in an extra hour with the resort guests. Im sure these days would be a little worse for wear as well.

Quick little update to keep curiosity up. 

We left off heading to Monsters.

WDW has the laugh floor, a fun experience.

DL has a cab ride.

480341_10151395403533663_476908397_n.jpg

It takes you through the story of Monsters Inc.

Using animatronics.

68554_10151395403538663_295012240_n.jpg

71459_10151395403568663_143746558_n.jpg

It was a cute ride, but seemed rushed and poorly put together. If it wasn't walk on, I wouldn't wait more than 5 mins for this unless you have kids or just love Monsters.

After the failed ride, we hit Muppets. This is the same show as HS. Even the bldg. is themed the same. My wife loves Muppets and it was walk on so we went.

One thing to note, they were begging people to come in and even suggested we stop in the middle of the row for a better view. We were one of 5 families in the entire theater.

On our way out of Hollywood land, we got a good view of the Grizzly River Run area

537906_10151395403743663_798762719_n.jpg

This is a water ride muck akin to Kali river rappids

We did not ride this as it got COLD later in the day and you WILL get wet on this ride.

We caught a ride on the trolly

936203_10151395403753663_1313735083_n.jp

and ended up in Condor Flats

I looked and have no pictures of this area for some reason

But it is themed after an old airstrip, the road is the runway and all the bldgs. are hangars.

This is also where you ride Soarin over California.

And it was a 5 min wait. So we went.

Its the same exact ride except the theme of the bldg.

Now, one benefit to staying in a Disney resort is the extra hour, another, is your own private entrance to CA.

601905_10151395403793663_703932697_n.jpg

That's the Grand Californian there. And that's an entrance directly into CA from the resort.

Its only opened for resort guests with a resort key and valid ticket.

Nice perk.

It sits next to this.

298111_10151395403958663_1681963384_n.jp

Its a Wilderness Explorers area. You can meet Russell and Doug here and walk a nature trail with obstacles and hidden objects. Its geared towards little kids.  

Right across from this was a FP machine for World of Color. Yes FPs for World of Color.

We were not sure how this worked, but we grabbed some to be on the safe side.

Our FP showed a return time of 8 to 9 in the blue section.

We will cover how this worked later.

For now, we continue our walk.

Photo Op

936260_10151395403893663_289789027_n.jpg

It was now time to cash in our FPs for Radiator Springs Racers, so we head back to Carsland.........

Oh, that brings up another question, with the 5-day ticket I had, I think it had one extra magic morning where I could go in for early entry.  Do they still do that.

Yes.

There are actually two different programs

Extra Magic Hour for Disney Resort Guests

Early admission, during every day of hotel stay, to select attractions, stores, entertainment and dining locations in either Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure Park one hour before the park opens to the general public

and

Magic Mornings

• Disneyland Resort Guests with 3-day or longer theme park ticket
  • Disneyland Resort Guests with special promotional "bonus" tickets
  • Disneyland Resort Guests with a 2013 Southern California CityPASS

These are Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday and gives you One early admission (during the duration of theme park ticket or Southern California CityPASS) to select attractions, stores, entertainment and dining locations at Disneyland Park one hour before the Park opens to the general public. This is only at DL not CA.

APs have their own schedule for early admission based on type of pass and availability.

I keep bringing up weird points.  From what I understand regular guests "can" (unless they changed it) exit and return at the Grand Californian entrance, but you have to have entered at the main gate first thing in the morning.

They checked every guest for a valid room key when we used it. We entered and exited twice and they checked us both times for room key. Im sure you could exit if you wanted, but needed a room key to get back in through that entrance.

Another note on that, DL uses a hand stamp system for re entry. So if you do visit and exit with intention of returning, make sure you get a hand stamp.

They checked every guest for a valid room key when we used it. We entered and exited twice and they checked us both times for room key. Im sure you could exit if you wanted, but needed a room key to get back in through that entrance.

Another note on that, DL uses a hand stamp system for re entry. So if you do visit and exit with intention of returning, make sure you get a hand stamp.

OK, that must be a new thing then, cause I know I had a meal at the Grand Californian, and I exited there, and went back into the park from the hotel entrance.

Lets get another quick update in before work today......

We left off heading to Carsland to cash in our FPs.

When we get there, this is what we find

65676_10151395403983663_1869655687_n.jpg

The line was backed up 75mins.

Now, to a WDW veteran, this is not that long.

But given all of the walk ons we have had, this is out of place.

This is the results of the ride being down earlier. It had just come up and everyone with FPs were using them, so the stand by line did just that, stood by while all of the FPs were let on.

They carry the theme of the land right into the queue line 

375111_10151395404043663_20997067_n.jpg

We make it up to the front and this is where I have to complain some what about the way DL operates as opposed to WDW.

This ride had a single rider line. WDW enforces the single rider concept and will deliberately separate parties to discourage abuse.

Not at DL.

There was a party of 4 in the single rider line.

The first person was given a car and then complained that she was with the person behind her and wanted to ride with her.

They her friend go to.

Then, they both complained that the guys behind them was with them and they didn't want to be separated.

So they all got to ride together, from the single rider line, with a 10 min wait.

That would never happen at WDW.

But, enough of that.

The ride reminded me of TT with a cars theme.

The cars and track were TT cars and track.

301945_10151395404133663_1188918514_n.jp

164993_10151395404178663_830991446_n.jpg

You cruise through Radiator Springs in search of a race and run into cars along the way.

603873_10151395404198663_408313741_n.jpg

Towards the end, your car is tricked out with new tires and paint in preparation for the race

71446_10151395404278663_1629992593_n.jpg

386875_10151395404338663_1611319254_n.jp

Then you drive up to the start line.

This is where it gets interesting.

The car behind you or in front of you is the car you race. The track splits and two cars line up side by side and shoot out of the starting line and race down the track.

It gets going pretty fast too.

27123_10151395404363663_1779387188_n.jpg

At the end, in true Disney fashion, no one is declared a winner so no ones feelings gets hurt. Mater says they are all winners for making some good friends today.

We clearly won though.

935111_10151395404443663_1970417455_n.jp

399580_10151395404503663_509158273_n.jpg

Our winning car

And this is what the track looks like in the race section

407128_10151395404583663_707254872_n.jpg

Another shot of Rt 66

923109_10151395404748663_1681875936_n.jp

And it was now 11am so we decided to get some lunch.

While eating, we saw this

935009_10151395404753663_1845620849_n.jp

Remember I said earlier you would just walk into a show?

Well Goofy was getting ready to do one now.

This was called instant concert, just add water.

Goofy conducts a concert using the water jets from the World of Color system.

I think its a way to test the jets before the big show, but they made a minor show out of it. Pretty good idea.

164272_10151395404828663_1425318820_n.jp

923254_10151395404933663_675922726_n.jpg

After the show, we head off to another one. This show has come highly recommended and everyone we talked to said not to miss it. So we go to get in line.