Fitting In - in a different way ...

Our first trip to the Fort, in many many years, is coming up quickly. It's the first week of February. 

I have to admit that I'm scared. I'm nervous, anxious about the trip. I'm afraid of being put on loop 2000 with too much activity for my adult son with PTSD. I'm afraid because we are not renting a golf cart and not sure if we are allowed to drive around in a regular car. I'm afraid we won't be close enough to a restroom, and my son will get lost. 

I'm also afraid of not fitting in. Not physically fitting into the space, but looking like rednecks in our pop-up. We don't have decorations either. I did think about paying for a premium site to avoid the possibly of Loop 2000. Then I was afraid it would be all these fancy rigs that didn't want their loop "devalued" by a Pop-up. Maybe it's just me, and people wouldn't think that.

We got through the Pop Century stay for the first week of December, with only a few hiccups. I really just want to get us, and our son, familiar with the campground again. It gives us all a sense of security having our own little hotel room with us, with all of our things. Even though an older pop-up is all we can afford, it feels like home.

Disney is the perfect place for my son to practice his independence. Fort Wilderness, even better. This is all kind of therapy, although we do have annual passes to the parks as well. I'm probably over analyzing everything, as usual. Thanks for listening.  

Roberta, I'm so sorry you feel that way! There are all kinds of people and camping set ups at the Fort.

First, I would fax in a site request, or if you have a travel agent fax one on your behalf. Explain what you need in a site and why. They will do their best to accommodate you. Heck, email it to me, and I'll make sure it gets to the right place.

As far as people looking down on pop ups, that's not the case at all. You'll see everything from tents to big RVs. We own an RV and still rent a pop up sometimes for short trips. We love the Fort and don't really care what we camp in. The owners of this site are regularly at the Fort in a pop up and so is TCD- the greatest trip report writer of all time.

As far as driving around in a car, there's not really anywhere to park. Have you considered bikes or an off site rental company for a cart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've always stayed in premium sites. I've seen everything from $500K RV's to converted utility trailers and vans and nobody cares. Personally if someone doesn't like the fact they are next to us and our smaller trailer it isn't me who has the problem it's them. As far as decorating about all we ever use are some decorative lights on the fringe of the awning. Other than that our site is pretty sparse. I'd say most folks don't decorate although some sites look like the only thing they left at home was the house itself.

I would say driving around is ok for a quick look around but you won't be able to stop easily along the way as there are no or very few places to park outside of your campsite or the parking lot at the entrance. If you can swing a cart that would be best or you could use the bus to take you to areas where you want to walk the loops.

The Fort is not one of those snobby motorcoach-only resorts. Yes, you'll see some million dollar rvs, but you'll see plenty of pop ups, tents, trailers of all size, age and condition, etc. You'll see tents and pop ups on every loop. Remember, the Premium loop designation doesn't refer so much to the type of rv it caters to but rather to the Premium price...LOL. And you'll see all sorts of people too. You'll be fine.

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

Just now, DaveInTN said:

The Fort is not one of those snobby motorcoach-only resorts. Yes, you'll see some million dollar rvs, but you'll see plenty of pop ups, tents, trailers of all size, age and condition, etc. You'll see tents and pop ups on every loop. And you'll see all sorts of people too. You'll be fine.

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

^this^

On driving around The Fort.. you can do this however, as Kelly and Keith mentioned, there's not really any parking so driving the loops is all you'll be able to do. Outside of that, to get around The Fort you either walk, bike, use a golf cart or ride the bus.  On the bathroom, explain your situation to Disney.  I really do believe that they do their best to work with guests. 

Have a magical trip!

Roberta,  as TCD said... "Relax"  you will fit in just fine.  In fact, you will blend in just fine.  I'm sure others can weigh in, but I have seen all kinds of camping equipment while camping at the Fort.  I have seen U-Haul trailers being used as campers, road tractors, horse trailers, and even saw someone once camping in a boat on a trailer. You already know that campers are some of the most welcoming and friendly folks out there...  Once you pass through those gates (heck even before you pass through the gates), you just need to enjoy yourselves and have a great time!

Easier said then done, but try not to stress. Fax in your site request, explain in it what you need and why and I'm sure they will do everything they can to accommodate your request. If you do get there and are in a site or loop you don't like you can always go to the comfort station and call the front desk or go back to the front and request another site. If the Forts not full you can even request to upgrade your site to a premium if you'd like. Don't worry about what other people may think, like Dave said people at the fort don't tend to be snobby. We stayed in a premium site for Christmas of 2015 and had a couple in a tent next to us for the entire week and a pop-up around the corner. Didn't seem to matter or bother anyone, especially us everyone was very friendly.  

Camping, to me, seem very unique in that there are no real class boundaries.  My wife and I are considered middle class, maybe upper middle class but in now way Rich.  We've camped at some very very nice RV resorts where our Fifthwheel was by far the skid row of the park and everyone seemed very friendly.  We've also camped at some state parks that most trailers and campers were 15+ years old and everyone was friendly.

That not to say that we've never run across someone who just isn't social, and if they happen to be in a six figure class A its easy to chalk it up to them being Stuck up, but you just never know whats going on and its easy for me to assume they are stuck up.  

Take what you have, pack it up and have a great time.  You'll fit in just fine UNLESS you wear something anti Disney... 

9 hours ago, Momof6....aka Marty said:

Kelly mentioned faxing a site request.  I have done this and it worked great!  Both times, i requested close to the comfort station and they accommodated that wonderfully!

Also tell them about your son (if your willing) they are very accomodating when it comes to "special needs".

12 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Relax.

It's going to be fine.

Even if you are assigned to the 2000 loop.

Really.

Have a great trip!

TCD

Thank you! 

This makes me feel infinitely better. I'm sure your right, I just needed someone to tell me. I needed to hear it from the regulars. 

20 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

First, I would fax in a site request, or if you have a travel agent fax one on your behalf. Explain what you need in a site and why. They will do their best to accommodate you. Heck, email it to me, and I'll make sure it gets to the right place.

Thank you so much for the offer. I will fax in my request and explain about my son. You are so very kind, as is everyone here. 

I don't want to be obnoxious by quoting every post on here, but every single response has touched my heart and made me feel more confident. I am so glad the Fort has not turned into a luxury RV park, but still a family place. I know I will feel more comfortable when I get there. 

Everything about our world is just changed, since my son was disabled. We would have not thought twice about transportation prior. Now we have a scooter, and I feel kind of bad making everyone wait while it gets off an on the buses. That is another reason we are not renting a golf cart, because there is no way to carry a scooter on it to get to the boat or the bus depot. 

Our Pop-up is older, but it's attractive and in good shape. We are regular campers and love staying in it. But, obviously, the Fort offers some new challenges. My anxiety level, in general, is fairly high so I tend to invent scary scenarios to stress myself out over. Overall, our family is much more comfortable in our Pop-up than a hotel, so I'm praying our Fort visit goes smoothly. I'm so relieved to hear it's not an issue to rent sites other than 1500 and 2000. Life would be much easier without having to haul grey water. Next visit we will do that. Our camper does have a bathroom to avoid leaving it at night. That was a #1 priority this time around, as our old one didn't have one. Our son gets disoriented enough during the day, we couldn't have him leaving at night. 

We did have a couple of problems with staying in a room. One night, we went down to the food court and our son locked us out and fell asleep. Because of his brain injuries, he is very, very difficult to wake up. The only thing that can wake him is a voice. No amount of noise will do. We did quite a bit of banging on the door and window, up until the point where we had to stop due to possibly disturbing others. Thankfully, we were in a corner room. 

We could see our son sound asleep, through the curtains. When I called, they said since our bands were registering red, he has the privacy lock on and at first said we were SOL. It was freezing out ... that cold Friday night the first week of December ... so I persisted in wanting to speak with someone else. They sent mousekeeping up, couldn't get in. Eventually security got the door open, but the bar was across. I had to stick my face in that few inches and yell our son's name quite a few times to get him up. People with brain injuries don't join reality for a bit after being physically awake, so he wandered around the room for a bit in confusion. 

He did finally come unlock the door and fell right back to sleep. All in all it was not the worst thing that could have happened, but a bit embarrassing. I did explain that he had a TBI and didn't realize he was locking us out. The CMs were all very nice about it. A couple of times, he left things on rides that we had to go back and recover them. And once, he abandoned his scooter when he got mobbed in near the castle in MK. He was playing SOMK and we were over in Frontierland. He was at a portal that was too close to the castle when a show started.

He called me and said he was stuck and getting freaked out. He can walk, he just has two titanium rods in one leg and pinned up opposite ankle, so Disney walking leaves him in too much pain at the pressure points. I told him to get off the scooter, take the key and just try to push out of the crowd. We headed that way and met him and got his scooter when things cleared out. He carries extra anxiety meds (and I carry a second set in case he loses it) so he took some and the rest of the day was good. 

In February, we will picking up show and parade schedules so he knows when to avoid certain places. 

This was likely more information than everyone was interested in hearing. Just trying to explain a bit why I am so nervous and anxious. I know that once we get there and set up, my anxiety will melt away. Disney has been my happy place since Dec. 1971, my first visit. And camping is our family's favorite activity. 

If anyone has any suggestions about transportation, please post them. I'm sure there are plenty of others at the Fort with scooters or wheelchairs. How do you handle that if you rent a golf cart? Maybe if the carts had a tow hitch. :lol:

We've never had a problem taking a scooter on the bus or the boat to the MK.

I don't know how you'd get the scooter around with a rented golf cart unless you could find one with a back seat that folds flat like a truck bed. We have a light weight scooter I can lift onto ours, only problem would be that would only leave you with 2 seats on the cart. The scooter could be ridden to the outpost or settlement all on sidewalks. It can be a nice ride but a bit bumpy, and may be to much of a battery drainer. 

People with wheelchairs or scooters getting on and off the bus doesn't bother us at all. Same goes for the boats.

I forgot you had mentioned the scooter in a previous thread. It would be hard to use a golf cart in lieu of the scooter but might be something to rent for a day just to go looping and hanging out at the Fort's facilities.

8 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

I don't know how you'd get the scooter around with a rented golf cart unless you could find one with a back seat that folds flat like a truck bed. We have a light weight scooter I can lift onto ours, only problem would be that would only leave you with 2 seats on the cart. The scooter could be ridden to the outpost or settlement all on sidewalks. It can be a nice ride but a bit bumpy, and may be to much of a battery drainer. 

We ride our scooter all over the Fort on the sidewalks, and it is a bit bumpy, but we have one of the Pride 10 heavy duty scooters with plenty of speed and battery power. We also don't have any mental issues just physical, so know our way around and the 15 spots to cross the road. Honestly, just load the scooter on the internal Disney buses and enjoy your trip!

18 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

9 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

We ride our scooter all over the Fort on the sidewalks, and it is a bit bumpy, but we have one of the Pride 10 heavy duty scooters with plenty of speed and battery power. We also don't have any mental issues just physical, so know our way around and the 15 spots to cross the road. Honestly, just load the scooter on the internal Disney buses and enjoy your trip!

I have a smaller scooter, a Pride Elite Traveler Go-go.    The sidewalks are really bumpy for me, but I set it on the highest speed and zoom around anyway.  No problem with battery power. 

Although we have our own golf cart which has a fold-down rear seat where we can load my scooter, we've had a problem taking my scooter on the bus in that we've waited 2 hours for an EPCOT bus that could accommodate us.  So we usually break it down and load it into our rental car and drive to the parks (except MK).

Thanks everyone. I think we will stick to the buses and boat for transportation. 

I'll look into the cost of a golf cart for a single day. It would be fun to go looping as a family. I am really looking forward to seeing the entire Fort. We don't plan on doing parks every day, and one day will just be spent at the Fort. We only have the Weekday Select annual pass, but even those five days, with no break, were a bit much in December. We need a down day. 

If we can fit it in the budget, we will rent one for our down day. 

Roberta, 

The gang at Fort are really good. I just finished camping there for the 20th year running in the 2000 or the 1500 loop. The cost of a single day golf cart will be 60.00 (just under it but was better to round it up). Since it is the slower season, you are pretty much able to go up and get it for the day. They open at 9 and you can call 7-2727 from the house phone at the comfort stations. 

Accommodations for the scooters/wheelchairs are phenomenal. They have dedicated areas for the scooters to tell the buses there is one waiting. They are also first on last off on most transportation. 

As for the decorations and all that jazz, you don't have to worry. I camp via tents. It's how I grew up. I try to one up from the previous year when it comes to the holidays, but I'm definitely not a million dollar rv camper nor always have the most decorated site. It's just great to see most of the site decorations.

Most of all just have fun. Don't worry about anyone and have loads of fun.  

15 minutes ago, DisneyVampire said:

Roberta, 

The gang at Fort are really good. I just finished camping there for the 20th year running in the 2000 or the 1500 loop. The cost of a single day golf cart will be 60.00 (just under it but was better to round it up). Since it is the slower season, you are pretty much able to go up and get it for the day. They open at 9 and you can call 7-2727 from the house phone at the comfort stations. 

Accommodations for the scooters/wheelchairs are phenomenal. They have dedicated areas for the scooters to tell the buses there is one waiting. They are also first on last off on most transportation. 

As for the decorations and all that jazz, you don't have to worry. I camp via tents. It's how I grew up. I try to one up from the previous year when it comes to the holidays, but I'm definitely not a million dollar rv camper nor always have the most decorated site. It's just great to see most of the site decorations.

Most of all just have fun. Don't worry about anyone and have loads of fun.  

Thank so much! 

Do you find loop 2000 overly noisy? 

We are actually Disney veterans and did rent an ECV in December, for the last half of our trip. It worked out great with the buses from the hotel, but I was concerned about so many transfers within the Fort that that other folks may get annoyed. I also tend to over think everything. 

We are avid campers and I've camped since birth. All of my kids have grown up camping, and now my grandchildren are as well. It's just been so many years since I've been the Fort, and reading things on different boards around the internet had me filled with anxiety over if the Fort was still the same or turned RV resort. Although, in my experience, even folks in the high dollar RVs at the state parks are the best. I just got worried, with Disney being costly for out of state people, it may have started to attract different types. I was so thankful to read all the replies here. We are always more comfortable camping than a hotel. 

Prior to my son being injured and disabled, I didn't get crazy like this. :unsure:

It's been a long 3.5 years of recovery and adjusting to our new reality and new life. It's all good though. We have our son, he is still here with us. 

Disney is a therapy of sorts for our son. As backwards as that may sound for someone with PTSD, it really is the case. Due to his brain injuries, he can't be very independent in most places. Disney is like a little world unto itself where I feel comfortable giving him that independence and he grows more confident from it. Since it was a place our family always went before, and he enjoyed, it works out perfectly for us. He can't hike the trails anymore in the state parks when camping, but he can be on his own in a Disney Park and it's impossible to get lost, as long as he doesn't leave the park.   

2 minutes ago, Roberta said:

Thank so much! 

Do you find loop 2000 overly noisy? 

We are actually Disney veterans and did rent an ECV in December, for the last half of our trip. It worked out great with the buses from the hotel, but I was concerned about so many transfers within the Fort that that other folks may get annoyed. I also tend to over think everything. 

We are avid campers and I've camped since birth. All of my kids have grown up camping, and now my grandchildren are as well. It's just been so many years since I've been the Fort, and reading things on different boards around the internet had me filled with anxiety over if the Fort was still the same or turned RV resort. Although, in my experience, even folks in the high dollar RVs at the state parks are the best. I just got worried, with Disney being costly for out of state people, it may have started to attract different types. I was so thankful to read all the replies here. We are always more comfortable camping than a hotel. 

Prior to my son being injured and disabled, I didn't get crazy like this. :unsure:

It's been a long 3.5 years of recovery and adjusting to our new reality and new life. It's all good though. We have our son, he is still here with us. 

Disney is a therapy of sorts for our son. As backwards as that may sound for someone with PTSD, it really is the case. Due to his brain injuries, he can't be very independent in most places. Disney is like a little world unto itself where I feel comfortable giving him that independence and he grows more confident from it. Since it was a place our family always went before, and he enjoyed, it works out perfectly for us. He can't hike the trails anymore in the state parks when camping, but he can be on his own in a Disney Park and it's impossible to get lost, as long as he doesn't leave the park.   

The only time I really find it overly noisy is when the scouts camp. Otherwise, the most noise I find is the other campers kids (which isn't going to be much since they are in the slower season) and the fireworks/Water parade every night You'll hear them no matter where you are. Plus quiet time is at 10pm. During the day most of the people are at the parks. 

My 4 kids grew up there. The oldest is now 23  (he started camping at 2) with his 2 girls learning the 'roughing it' camping in tents. Even potty training 5 out of the 6 of them there. Yes, it can be done. The great thing about the Fort is that all the camping areas are loops. So your son can go around in circles walking/scooter with the freedom you so desire. I let mine as they grew gain that 'Independence' so to speak. 

My favorite part is that it is close to the quiet pool between the cabins too. I never have to deal with the crowds at the main pool. It might not have the slide for the kids, but they still have fun playing marco polo. 

Even though you'll see a lot of big rvs, there are plenty of people that have tents and small pop ups. So you can be as redneck as you want to as sophisticated as you feel. ;)  

With your son having PSTD, I'm not sure if loud noises will effect him like the fireworks. Look at the times guide for the firework schedule. You can always count on Epcot at 9pm and the water parade at 9:30. As for Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios, those change depending on the park hours. You will no matter where you are at Fort hear them all. Listening to all of them go off on New years was really loud. 

12 minutes ago, DisneyVampire said:

. So you can be as redneck as you want to as sophisticated as you feel. ;)  

With your son having PSTD, I'm not sure if loud noises will effect him like the fireworks. Look at the times guide for the firework schedule. You can always count on Epcot at 9pm and the water parade at 9:30. As for Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios, those change depending on the park hours. You will no matter where you are at Fort hear them all. Listening to all of them go off on New years was really loud. 

I love that quote! We are definitely rednecks, from WV. But we are quiet and considerate rednecks. 

Thanks for the heads up about hearing the fireworks. We will make sure he has his gun range headphones. I'm not sure what they are really called, but they block out noise and I think they are made for people to use at gun ranges. Our son doesn't have flashbacks, or flip out or anything. He just suffers anxiety. I'm thankful for that. I wouldn't take him anywhere near WDW if he had severe episodes that could be frightening for others. I have seen some that have those and say my prayers of thanks that my son has been spared that.