JMSisko

Offsite Golf Cart Rentals

33 posts in this topic

We will be at the fort February 12 - 19 and wanted to rent a golf cart. Apparently it's pretty busy because we've never had issues renting from FW before but we were told that for half of our stay all carts are reserved.

I have read some on here use offsite rental companies and wanted to get some information. I'm really interested in info on cost, personal experience, p/u drop off process etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am moving this to the Off Site Rentals Section so that you can get the proper answers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On this short of notice, I'm not sure if Kenny at Tee Time, can help you, but give him a call and find out:  407-516-4571.

Renting from Tee Time will require you to travel off property to pick up and return the cart.  The round-trip is about an hour on the day you pick up, and again on the day you return.  That's an inconvenience for sure, but it doesn't sound like you have any better options.

TCD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On this short of notice, I'm not sure if Kenny at Tee Time, can help you, but give him a call and find out:  407-516-4571.

Renting from Tee Time will require you to travel off property to pick up and return the cart.  The round-trip is about an hour on the day you pick up, and again on the day you return.  That's an inconvenience for sure, but it doesn't sound like you have any better options.

TCD

Thanks for the recommendation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Tri-Circle-D said:

On this short of notice, I'm not sure if Kenny at Tee Time, can help you, but give him a call and find out:  407-516-4571.

Renting from Tee Time will require you to travel off property to pick up and return the cart.  The round-trip is about an hour on the day you pick up, and again on the day you return.  That's an inconvenience for sure, but it doesn't sound like you have any better options.

TCD

Curious, how does this work? Who hauls it back and forth? etc.       Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jayco1 said:

Curious, how does this work? Who hauls it back and forth? etc.       Thanks

You, the customer, do.

You drive to the meeting location where they have the cart on a trailer (hopefully).  You drive the trailer to the Fort, drop off the cart, and then bring the trailer back.  On the day you return it, you go and get the trailer and reverse the process. 

The meeting location is about a 15 minute drive from the Fort.  So, it's 30 minutes there and back, times two, plus the time to load and unload the golf cart.  The reason I said hopefully the cart will be on the trailer when you get there is that they schedule the pick-ups pretty closely, and if the guy in front of you is late for his appointment or dawdles, you will be waiting for the trailer.

TCD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

You, the customer, do.

You drive to the meeting location where they have the cart on a trailer (hopefully).  You drive the trailer to the Fort, drop off the cart, and then bring the trailer back.  On the day you return it, you go and get the trailer and reverse the process.

The meeting location is about a 15 minute drive from the Fort.  So, it's 30 minutes there and back, times two, plus the time to load and unload the golf cart.  The reason I said hopefully the cart will be on the trailer when you get there is that they schedule the pick-ups pretty closely, and if the guy in front of you is late for his appointment or dawdles, you will be waiting for the trailer.

TCD

That doesn't sound too magical. How much do you save?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, jayco1 said:

That doesn't sound too magical. How much do you save?

About $35 a day.  So, roughly $100 for a three day rental, or around $250 for a week.

The last couple of times I've done it, I started thinking about whether the hassle is worth it- because I'm typically only renting for 3-4 days.

There is also a lot of texting and/or phone calls to confirm pick up and drop off times. I especially don't like having to spend that hour plus on my check out day running the cart back to the drop off location.

The other thing to consider is if there's a problem with the cart, there's no easy fix for that.

It was great when Kenny was allowed to deliver the carts directly to your site, but the Fort management has put and end to that.

TCD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Confession, we did not rent with Kenny this upcoming trip as we won't have a car, although people we are traveling with will, and we didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to coordinate the rental. So, instead of a 6 seater Kenny cart we are renting a 4 seater from the mouse this trip. And practicing my run on sentences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

About $35 a day.  So, roughly $100 for a three day rental, or around $250 for a week.

The last couple of times I've done it, I started thinking about whether the hassle is worth it- because I'm typically only renting for 3-4 days.

There is also a lot of texting and/or phone calls to confirm pick up and drop off times. I especially don't like having to spend that hour plus on my check out day running the cart back to the drop off location.

The other thing to consider is if there's a problem with the cart, there's no easy fix for that.

It was great when Kenny was allowed to deliver the carts directly to your site, but the Fort management has put and end to that.

TCD

It looks like unless you are staying at least a week, or more, probably not worth the hassle.   Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jayco1 said:

It looks like unless you are staying at least a week, or more, probably not worth the hassle.   Thanks

Unfortunately, that's exactly how Disney wants it.

Disney always wins.

TCD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's also talk about Kenny's carts. The 6-person carts (3 of them now) but each one has had some kind of quirk- either electrical issues or molasses slow.

We rented a 4-person cart once. It had a pretty annoying quirk that the lights would go out the faster you went. They tried to help but it never got resolved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ependydad...Doug said:

Let's also talk about Kenny's carts. The 6-person carts (3 of them now) but each one has had some kind of quirk- either electrical issues or molasses slow.

We rented a 4-person cart once. It had a pretty annoying quirk that the lights would go out the faster you went. They tried to help but it never got resolved.

I absolutely do not want to bash Tee Time, as Kenny offers a great service, but I had some issues with condition of the last two carts I rented from him.  Both required several phone calls and some coordination to remedy.   Both occurred during holiday periods.  Kenny provided excellent customer service in addressing the issues, and they were properly resolved.

But you're right-I hate to say it, but the condition of the carts he rents seems to have become an issue.

It's another thing to think about in determining whether the savings are worth it.

TCD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I absolutely do not want to bash Tee Time, as Kenny offers a great service, but I had some issues with condition of the last two carts I rented from him.  Both required several phone calls and some coordination to remedy.   Both occurred during holiday periods.  Kenny provided excellent customer service in addressing the issues, and they were properly resolved.

But you're right-I hate to say it, but the condition of the carts he rents seems to have become an issue.

It's another thing to think about in determining whether the savings are worth it.

TCD

He is too popular and busy for his own good. All his fleet is rented out all the time, and probably used hard and put up wet. Needs to step back a bit on the rentals and do some maintenance. Not bashing him at all. Have had great service the couple times I used him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with TCD and Carol- I didn't mean it as a bashing, just a statement.

That said, if you're lucky enough for a long stay (our last was 2+ weeks), the cost savings is overwhelming. I posted to FB- I think a 4-person Disney cart was something like $1,100. The 6-person cart from Kenny for the same time person was $500 or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I was staying less than a week and got a cart, it would be a Disney cart. No hassle of pickup. And, if there's an issue - it's a lot easier to just swap one out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

He is too popular and busy for his own good. All his fleet is rented out all the time, and probably used hard and put up wet. Needs to step back a bit on the rentals and do some maintenance. Not bashing him at all. Have had great service the couple times I used him.

And the poor guy has to provide service while abiding by Disney's rules that he's not allowed to come onto the property to provide the service.  That really complicates things for him.

He is an honest, hard working business man, who is trying to make a living and comply with the rules Disney imposes.  I really feel for the guy.

TCD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too will not bash Kenny as he always went above and beyond to rectify issues when we had one of his carts....but there were always issues with the one 6 passenger cart we had from him.  Not the least of which...the brakes were wonky and on occassion would decide not to work.  While that could be slightly amusing, it wasn't funny when the cart crashed into the front of our trailer....albeit at a slow speed that didn't do any damage.  Thankfully it didn't crash into a person.  I subsequently heard from at least one other person that also had brake issues with that cart, so it wasn't a one off fluke.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ependydad...Doug said:

If I was staying less than a week and got a cart, it would be a Disney cart. No hassle of pickup. And, if there's an issue - it's a lot easier to just swap one out.

I think I've come to this conclusion as well.

But, I tend to visit during times when Disney carts are sold out, and Kenny has always come through for me.  So, I'm going to continue to give him my business.  He deserves it.

TCD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if we've just been lucky, but in the past 10+ years the only issue we've had with one of Kenny's cart is one we got a few years ago that was too slow for DH's liking (I thought it was fine) and Kenny swapped it out for us the next day.

1 hour ago, ependydad...Doug said:

That said, if you're lucky enough for a long stay (our last was 2+ weeks), the cost savings is overwhelming. I posted to FB- I think a 4-person Disney cart was something like $1,100. The 6-person cart from Kenny for the same time person was $500 or so.

Yep!  Our trips are typically 3 weeks and at $67/day, there's just no way I'd be able to justify $1300 to rent a cart from Disney for that amount of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I'm not sure if we've just been lucky, but in the past 10+ years the only issue we've had with one of Kenny's cart is one we got a few years ago that was too slow for DH's liking (I thought it was fine) and Kenny swapped it out for us the next day.

The swapping out isn't an easy thing to do now that Disney won't let Kenny on to its property.  It was so much better in the good old days.

TCD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all the Fiends that stay at the Fort and have a lot of overlapping reservations, the cart lovers should chip in and purchase a couple of carts that move from site to site as Fiends come and go.

Kelly loves planning and spreadsheets, she could make up a schedule and figure out who has them and when.  They could be like a co-op that you buy into.  Everyone interested chips in and splits the purchase price, then maybe kick in a small monthly fee for maintenance or a minimal rental fee when you are there using it to cover maintenance fees.

A bunch of us used to do that with an old bike we bought out in OK when we were in training.  It had a chain and combo lock, and when you went out there you could use it and leave it for the next guy.

They could be painted purple!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
With all the Fiends that stay at the Fort and have a lot of overlapping reservations, the cart lovers should chip in and purchase a couple of carts that move from site to site as Fiends come and go.

Kelly loves planning and spreadsheets, she could make up a schedule and figure out who has them and when.  They could be like a co-op that you buy into.  Everyone interested chips in and splits the purchase price, then maybe kick in a small monthly fee for maintenance or a minimal rental fee when you are there using it to cover maintenance fees.

A bunch of us used to do that with an old bike we bought out in OK when we were in training.  It had a chain and combo lock, and when you went out there you could use it and leave it for the next guy.

They could be painted purple!

I love this idea.

I haven't tried Kenny yet, but I do have a 3 week stay come Christmas. I might try with him.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

And the poor guy has to provide service while abiding by Disney's rules that he's not allowed to come onto the property to provide the service.  That really complicates things for him.

He is an honest, hard working business man, who is trying to make a living and comply with the rules Disney imposes.  I really feel for the guy.

TCD

We had our 1st mishap with a Kenny cart (1st time in 3 rentals) this past October. We were cruising around heading into the 1200/1300 loop areas and we heard a loud BOOM....and then no power. One of the batteries had exploded under the seat. I pushed the cart off the road and called to let them know I had an issue. Kenny called me back that afternoon in a matter of minutes and told me that he would get it fixed. He did get it fixed but it was the following morning before it could be done.

This is not what you want to see when you open the seat after hearing a boom. The negative terminal is missing from the battery:
F7A370C9-BD5C-4411-B8D2-1381639D73C2_zps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Travisma said:

With all the Fiends that stay at the Fort and have a lot of overlapping reservations, the cart lovers should chip in and purchase a couple of carts that move from site to site as Fiends come and go.

Kelly loves planning and spreadsheets, she could make up a schedule and figure out who has them and when.  They could be like a co-op that you buy into.  Everyone interested chips in and splits the purchase price, then maybe kick in a small monthly fee for maintenance or a minimal rental fee when you are there using it to cover maintenance fees.

A bunch of us used to do that with an old bike we bought out in OK when we were in training.  It had a chain and combo lock, and when you went out there you could use it and leave it for the next guy.

They could be painted purple!

 

11 minutes ago, DisneyVampire said:

I love this idea.

I haven't tried Kenny yet, but I do have a 3 week stay come Christmas. I might try with him.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, it's a lot more difficult than you think. "Somebody" local and with ironclad access to the Fort needs to have real ownership of the cart to take care of said repairs, make sure it doesn't get stolen, etc., etc. What about when it's time for new batteries? The controller blows, the steering goes out, the charger gets lifted? Believe me, several Fiends have discussed this in person over the years, and it's just not practical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now