Dances With Dirt....INC's Gnawbone Adventure

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I got in before midnight.  Good so far except reading about really good food at 11:30 pm.   I am interested in your experience at the race.  I have recently dropped a small person from my waistli

Some of the 50 milers running at Gnaw Bone looked a little touched in the head.      She said it was awesome seeing us there.  Which is saying something.  Normally she's running AWAY from us. 

That indoor waterpark is very nice.

It's strange that the place is named after a cartoon character.  So what is with the "gem" name.  Was he a miner or something?  What did they mine in Indiana?

Speaking of nightmare inducers, I strongly dislike the outfit on the guy all the way on the left in this photo:

DSCN2337.JPG

What's his deal?

TCD

I'm thinking I could do a short cut and just cut some refrigerated biscuit dough and fry it up. 

I'm thinking you are right. 

Wow the race course looks like it was designed by Attila the Hun.   I'm praying for INC after seeing your graph.  The food looks great and I too have never heard of fried biscuits.  Old Abe's place seems very interesting...  I did not expect the indoor water park, and huge guest store.   The only proof I have that the owners are not Disney is the buffet prices... 

True on the buffet prices.  And you may be right about Attila.  That course kinda SMB.  But in a good way, if possible. 

That indoor waterpark is very nice.

It's strange that the place is named after a cartoon character.  So what is with the "gem" name.  Was he a miner or something?  What did they mine in Indiana?

Speaking of nightmare inducers, I strongly dislike the outfit on the guy all the way on the left in this photo:

DSCN2337.JPG

What's his deal?

TCD

Well I guess the water pack is on kinda tight.  We had dinner with him that evening and he's a good guy, so don't worry about nightmares. 

As far as the gem references....Brown County has a history of gem mining.  I don't know what kind of gems.  Sparkly ones, I suppose.

Brown County State Park has two entrances....a west entrance which was fairly near Mike's Dance Barn, and a north entrance which was off the road you take into Nashville from the interstate.  Since we had gone to the Dance Barn the evening before, we entered the park via the west entrance.  Accordingly, the girls had not seen the north entrance.  Why is this important? 

To access the park via the north entrance you cross over an old covered bridge.  And by old, I mean it was built in 1838.  It is the oldest covered bridge in Indiana.  And one of only 6 double barrel covered bridges in the United States. 

DSCN2359.JPG

You can see in the drawing above what they mean by double barrel....it has two distinct driving lanes, unlike most covered bridges which are single lane.  You can also see above that the bridge was originally built elsewhere and was moved to it present location in 1932.  Pretty cool. 

After dropping INC off at the race that morning, I drove back to the inn myself over the bridge.  But I didn't tell the girls that...I told them that the bridge was very old and was designed to support horses and small wagons....not enormous E-350 vans.  I said I wasn't sure the van would fit, and even if it did fit I wasn't sure the bridge could support the weight.  They wanted to see the bridge, but voted to use the west entrance to get back to the Dance Barn.  I said no way...we needed to drive across this bridge.  :rofl3:

Here we are on approach.

DSCN2368.JPG

DSCN2369.JPG

Oldest DD, who was in the front seat, decided she'd rather walk across the bridge.  Just in case.  I said that would be fine, but as long as she was walking ahead she may as well take the camera to document things, just in case we either got stuck or the bridge collapsed taking us with it. 

So that's what she did. 

As you can see, we fit no problem.  Which I of course knew.  But I still told them I thought I heard scraping noises along the roof.  My van always seems so much higher inside than it actually is, as if you are going to hit anything you drive under.  You know that feeling you get in a large vehicle when in a parking ramp?  That's what it feels like in the van a lot. 

DSCN2370.JPG

I like this next picture because it shows the construction of the bridge quite well, especially the arches supporting the entire structure.  According to the display above, the ends of each arch rest on the abutments. 

DSCN2371.JPG

It is cool to imagine the craftsmen back in 1838 building this thing.  They certainly didn't have the tools at their disposal we have today.  Which makes it all the more impressive. 

I really don't look worried, do I?  I should have carried on the act a bit longer.  Although Izzy looks a bit unsure. 

DSCN2372.JPG

I think we are going to make it!!

DSCN2373.JPG

That was hair raising, wasn't it?  :rofl3:

We exited the park and proceeded to the Dance Barn and the finish line. 

DSCN2374.JPG

I like the crazy rustic nature of the finish line.

DSCN2375.JPG

Stella is excited and anxious to see her mama coming down the final hill. 

DSCN2376.JPG

We saw a couple of her group finish, and all eyes were down the trail on the woods where she would be coming from. 

Finally, we saw someone familiar. 

DSCN2377.JPG

Yep, it's her!

DSCN2378.JPG

DSCN2379.JPG

She sure looks happy for a woman that just ran 13.1 miles through hills, mud, water and muck. 

DSCN2380.JPG

She had some mud to show off. 

Mudder.jpg

Group pic of all my ladies.

DSCN2382.JPG

We hung out for a bit to wait for the last couple runners from her group, then got a post-race pic of everyone.

DSCN2387.JPG

TCD, the guy that scared you changed.  He doesn't look so nightmare-inducing anymore.  :rofl2:

And here is a shot of the 7 of us.

DSCN2389.JPG

All the runners were supplied a BBQ lunch, which the girls all took nibbles of. 

DSCN2388.JPG

INC wasn't really feeling the BBQ thing, but wanted something "indulgent", so we hit the golden arches on the way back to the inn where INC got a chicken sammich and the girls got some fries. 

This particular McD's had a cool old train running along the ceiling. 

DSCN2393.JPG

DSCN2391.JPG

That old McDonald's train car was interesting to me.

We went back to the Abe Martin Lodge so INC could get cleaned up and the girls could eat their crap snack. 

DSCN2394.JPG

DSCN2395.JPG

DSCN2396.JPG

I wasn't sure whether INC would be wiped out and want to nap, or want to do something.  Luckily after getting cleaned up she was raring to go and explore the town.  So we did....coming up.

Great stuff there, Dave!

I love the whole covered bridge story.  LOL!

Do you know why they went to the trouble of covering the bridges?  Seems like a lot of extra work and materials for no good reason.

Congratulations to INC for finishing the race. That is very impressive!  How did she like all the elevation changes?

That photo of Anna with the fries is classic.  That child loves fries.  Just like her Daddy.

TCD

Great stuff there, Dave!

I love the whole covered bridge story.  LOL!

Do you know why they went to the trouble of covering the bridges?  Seems like a lot of extra work and materials for no good reason.

Think of all the examples of covered bridges from the 1800's that still exist in places like Vermont, Iowa and Indiana.  How many non-covered bridges from those days still exist?  Left uncovered, the wooden trusses supporting the structure will rot out within a couple decades.  But when covered from the elements, like old barns, they can last a long time. 

Cool report Dave!!  I've stayed at Brown County State park in one of the camping sections.  Nice place!  But FILL YOUR WATER TANKS!.  They don't have water hookups at each campsite, just electric.  They do have places where you can fill though.

I got caught unawares and since my water tank is removable and I have the water connection, for awhile I had quit carrying my water tank with me.  So a Wal-Mart run was in order for a container to carry water, and as you know that's about 15 miles away!

Wow, that must be one grueling course to run!  13 miles -- I might have made it half way.  Walking, that is.

The hotel and water park looked nice.

Thanks for the Anna pics.

The covered bridge is impressive, particularly with its age and the fact that it has been moved.

Looking forward to more of your TR!

Cool report Dave!!  I've stayed at Brown County State park in one of the camping sections.  Nice place!  But FILL YOUR WATER TANKS!.  They don't have water hookups at each campsite, just electric.  They do have places where you can fill though.

I got caught unawares and since my water tank is removable and I have the water connection, for awhile I had quit carrying my water tank with me.  So a Wal-Mart run was in order for a container to carry water, and as you know that's about 15 miles away!

Probably more like 17 or 18 miles....if it is near the Sam's Club on the other side of I-65.  Good to know about the water!

Wow, that must be one grueling course to run!  13 miles -- I might have made it half way.  Walking, that is.

The hotel and water park looked nice.

Thanks for the Anna pics.

The covered bridge is impressive, particularly with its age and the fact that it has been moved.

Looking forward to more of your TR!

Thanks Gwen!  I also found the bridge impressive.  It is beautiful in a very simple way. 

The group must of trained hard.  They look really good for 13 miles of billy goat bluffs, mud, bugs, and streams.    Also mad props to INC for her after run effort to see the town.  I would've been downing alieve and crawling into bed.

They do train, but they don't overdo it.  They have a good coach....the tall one not wearing running clothes in the photo.  He's helping me at this point with getting back into running from my shoulder surgery.  But I am just beginning that process.  My racing days are a long way off at this point. 

Go INC!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, the flat Rock n Roll half in Vegas almost killed me. I can't imagine that mountain.

LOVE the bridge story. That's totally something we would do. I read it to Jason, and when he saw your "van" he asked why it's not yellow and if you have a bus stop at your house. He's impressed it's a 350 though.

Congrats to INC for finishing that course from heck!

Looks like a pretty neat place to spend a weekend.

Hope your shoulder heals quickly and your back running soon.

I've said it before but I'll say it again. You've are a lucky man blessed with a great family.

I have to agree with you!  I am blessed. 

As always I'm late to the show, but I dont think any expects actually expects me on time..

INC is my hero!!

How awesome, I can only wish to have her determination!  Beautiful family shot!

Glad you made it aboard, Judy.  We do always expect you to come skidding in late on 2 wheels.  Glad you didn't disappoint.  ;)

Grats to INC on the trail run!  I love the idea of doing a trail run but I just don't trust my knees to handle it.  Great trip report, as usual.  ^-^

I can imagine it being tough with knee problems.  I know running doesn't work with shoulder problems...much less knees!

I can't even imagine! INC is a beast! :) It's hard to look at her and think that she's the mother of 5 children. Dave is a fortunate man! I always enjoy reading your reports and see all your girls! :)

Thanks Rita!  I think part of the reason INC runs is because she wants to stay strong to handle being a mom. 

Go INC!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, the flat Rock n Roll half in Vegas almost killed me. I can't imagine that mountain.

LOVE the bridge story. That's totally something we would do. I read it to Jason, and when he saw your "van" he asked why it's not yellow and if you have a bus stop at your house. He's impressed it's a 350 though.

It's not only a 350....it has a v10.  I could probably have pulled that bridge down if I wanted.  :rofl3:

So what are your MPG? I know my QX56 would hold all of you, but not as comfortably. And it drinks gas.

I get 11 around town, 14 highway.  Not bad for a 12 passenger bread box.  We've owned 7 and 8 passenger SUV's and minivans before, but like that the kids can spread out when we travel.  Plus there aren't many vehicles that can hold 7 or more people plus pull a large trailer without going over the payload capacities.  So ugly as it may be, I am kind of fond of the dumb thing. 

I get 11 around town, 14 highway. Not bad for a 12 passenger bread box. We've owned 7 and 8 passenger SUV's and minivans before, but like that the kids can spread out when we travel. Plus there aren't many vehicles that can hold 7 or more people plus pull a large trailer without going over the payload capacities. So ugly as it may be, I am kind of fond of the dumb thing.

That's not much worse than what I get. Mine tows about 8K which makes the boat easy when we need to, but a big trailer would be a stretch. It's nice, but I miss the convertible I drove pre-kids.

Great Job to INC on the run.  To be smiling like that on the way up the finish line for a course like that is very impressive.

I love covered bridges, but I'm used to seeing them being up here in the North East.

Dan

The smiles make it seem like they were giving them crack up in those hills. 

It's funny, there were very few covered bridges where I grew up near Buffalo.  You'd think they could really use them there. 

Congrats to INC!

That guys running wardrobe weirded me out a bit too!

Love to see the whole family supporting their mom. Thats awesome.

You think 13.1 mile trail runs are crazy?

My older brother does 50 milers and 100 milers.

Running should be reserved to basepaths, basketball courts, and the gridiron.

You looked like Ace Ventura driving with your head out the window on the bridge!

Congrats to INC!

That guys running wardrobe weirded me out a bit too!

Love to see the whole family supporting their mom. Thats awesome.

You think 13.1 mile trail runs are crazy?

My older brother does 50 milers and 100 milers.

Running should be reserved to basepaths, basketball courts, and the gridiron.

You looked like Ace Ventura driving with your head out the window on the bridge!

Some of the 50 milers running at Gnaw Bone looked a little touched in the head. 

Congrats to INC.  That smile she has when she saw her family waiting for her, priceless.

She said it was awesome seeing us there.  Which is saying something.  Normally she's running AWAY from us.