Did anyone catch the part about encountering wildlife? "If you encounter alligators, snakes or any other kind of wildlife, please contact security."

I get snakes and maybe alligators. But is it telling me to call the front desk over squirrels? What about a bird pooping on my shoulder? Should I be concerned? Are Fort Squirrels inherently dangerous?

Should I be concerned? Are Fort Squirrels inherently dangerous?

Well, there are bears and panthers that could be added to the list, but that might prove more disconcerting than they were hoping for! The real threat, especially to unguarded coolers, are the otters! (Sorry, still love me some Deb!)

Did anyone catch the part about encountering wildlife? "If you encounter alligators, snakes or any other kind of wildlife, please contact security."

I get snakes and maybe alligators. But is it telling me to call the front desk over squirrels? What about a bird pooping on my shoulder? Should I be concerned? Are Fort Squirrels inherently dangerous?

I have heard (and seen) squirrels run off with nut bars at the WWW.  Beyond that, all is speculation, but I believe all of it. :clint:

I did not get this stuff when we were there last weekend.  Same old folded up map-like paper.

However, when I stopped by on Friday on my way out after our stay at POR, it was not very easy to get in.  AND there was a new sign posted just as you pass the guard shack with specific requirements for the parking lot.  Finally it looks like they're addressing that.  Good!

The guard did allow me to enter after I told him I had some items to pick up at the Meadow Trading Post.  Which is true, I did go in and replace the mug and keychain that broke.  I wasn't going to, figuring the reason it all broke was due to poor craftsmanship, but my sentimental side got in the way and I decided to go ahead and get them since we will be leaving FL and won't be able to go there often anymore.  Of course I spent the rest of the time walking and driving around though!  One last spin!

I am looking forward to my daily trailer cleaning and change of linens every fourth day by housekeeping. I will leave a key under the mat.

As far as the welcome packet, you guys are fools for tossing them. Mine will be on ebay the day after I arrive home and I am sure some rube will pay at least a hundred bucks for it.

Let me know what you do with the dollar you might make.

I may only get a buck, but I'm charging 49.95 for shipping and handling.

Wow!

The fact that Doug Lord proudly signed this packet like he's John Hancock or something tells me all I need to know about him.

This packet of documents is a mess.

I can't even begin to point out all the errors and omissions. 

With regard to the wildlife blurb, this is just a variation on information that has been in the information provided to guests for years:

OldFWRules-1.jpg

FWScan-1.jpg

The old documents, which couldn't agree on whether there were three or four kinds of poisonous snakes at the Fort, were much more informative that Dougie's version, which suggests that I should give him a call if I see a squirrel.

And, note the language in each of these old documents about plant life.  It repeats the corny phrase about not even the Fort is immune from a little poison ivy.

Is that so?

Has anyone ever seen poison ivy at the Fort?

Ever?

Sorry, Dougie, you get a D- on these improved documents.

TCD