The Many Adventures of PixieB

Hey There!

I'm Shannon, aka PixieB, and will be taking you on this adventure of sorts.  

So, who am I?

Well, I'm not new Disney World, I've been going since I was a kid.  I'm also extremely lucky in that my hubby also shares the same kind of excitement for Disney that I do.  Here's a pic from our 2009 wedding onboard the Disney Wonder:

DSC_0523.jpg

I'm now a stay-at-home mom to a wonderful daughter, Miss V.

5190e89a-b296-4bee-a9f9-b34539994d89.jpg

I also blog, and heck I wrote a book.

ADMIN NOTE: SHE IS A RAFFLE DONOR AND IS ALLOWED TO TALK (and link) ABOUT HER BOOK AND BLOG.   THANKS FOR YOUR DONATIONS FOR THE LABOR DAY RAFFLE!  WE ARE SO HAPPY FOR YOUR TRIP REPORT!

Camping.

I never went camping as a kid.  There I said it.

Now, as a kid who never went camping, I had a freakish fascination with it.  I had friends who went camping at The Fort, and swam at River Country too.  They came back with lots of pictures.  Me, I got to share a bed with my three cousins at my Aunt's house in Winter Garden.  But hey, I still got to the world!

Hubby went camping a lot as a child.  But, he claimed a natural disaster was never far behind.  A curse he said.  He gave me examples of mud slides, lightning, freak snowstorms, and even a hurricane.  He's also been prone to a slight exaggeration.

After much intrepidation, I finally convinced said husband to go camping with me.  He laid some ground rules, such as no more than 25 miles from home, and it the sky looked like it might even think about rain, we were cancelling.

So the day finally arrived, and it was gorgeous, 75 degrees and sunny, not a single cloud and 0% chance of rain.  Perfection!  No way  could hubby back out of this one!  We got the tent set up and started barbecuing.  By evening, we noticed a cloud or two.  Then they started to multiply.  By bedtime it started to sprinkle ever so slightly.  Well, that's when things quickly went to hell in a hand basket.  Trees started swaying, wind was howling, rain started coming down in sheets, oh, and did I mention the hail?!  It was absolutely no shock when the tornado sirens started going off.  Yup, we high-tailed it out of there and never looked back.

So, I can't see myself going camping again anytime soon.  That is of course unless I want an endless supply of "Remember the time.." from hubby.  LOL

Anyways, I really like this site, despite my lack of camping.  I hope you're in for some great non-fort (but Disney) adventures!

About this Trip

Miss V and I made the trek to Central Florida for 10 days.  The plan was to spend time with family and catch up.  But you think I'm going to Orlando, and not going Disney? Ha! You've got another thing coming!  

Then, there is a Disney Social Media Moms event which I'll be attending this week.  I'm beyond excited for that.  

4e3788f1-fe2b-4bc1-9634-9353aac72e33.jpg

Stay tuned!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forgot about the We Bare All.     And now that you mention it, we could still make fun of uf.     My dog even makes fun of the gators.  I can ask her if she would rather be a gator or dead, and she im

I love a good adventure!

I'm in.

Awesome!  Thanks!

Wow!  Only 5 posts and you've already started a trip report. I'm impressed and can't wait to read more.

:welcome2:  to our group!

Thank you!  

Well... I may have been lurking for a while!  LOL

I'm in too.

Great!

I'm in. :D

Thanks for following along!

Can't wait to read more!

Love your T@B, BTW!

Welcome.  Looking forward to your report.

Thank you! :)

Bring it on!

Sorry about that first camping trip.  You will need to give it another try.

That is awesome that you got married on Castaway Cay!  How fun!

TCD

I don't want to temp another disaster.... tsunami, earthquake, zombie apocalypse....

The wedding on Castaway Cay was probably the best choice we could have made.  My husband and I really enjoyed it, and I think all of our guests did too!

in like flynn

Yay!

A book you say?  I've heard of those...

Lmao! :)  

I'm in... Waiting.

Another post coming your way!

Welcome! Looking forward to more of your adventure!

Thanks for following!

Okay, but there better be a bunch of pictures!

I'll see what I can do... :)

Day 1

The hubby and I have lived all over the country, and for the last year or so have called Seattle home.  I like that it really doesn't snow here (which is a great improvement over the previous 6 years in Minnesota!), but it's far from our family on the East Coast.  A large concentration of my family lives on the Space Coast, and it was time for a visit! (..and Disney too!)

The hubby had to work, so it was just me and Miss V.

I chose a direct red-eye from SEA to MCO, with hopes that Miss V would sleep the whole flight.  She also qualifies as a lap infant, which was a major gamble on my part because she doesn't sit still for a second.  If I couldn't get a "free" seat for her, things wouldn't be pretty..

We got to the airport at about 8pm for a 10pm flight.  I had no idea how long it was going to take to get through security, or what Miss V's diaper might hold..

I had to check in with an actual agent rather than the row of kiosks available.  I immediately asked if there would be an available seat for Miss V.  The agent actually laughed at me.  He said all flights to the East Coast are typically full.  Hmm..

Security was surprisingly easy.  I had nightmares about trying to fold the stroller, take my shoes off, and get all of our carry-ons through without Miss V running in the opposite direction.  I also put powdered toddler formula in a few bottles ready to mix after security.  My nightmares included being pulled aside for a "fine white powder".  But they never even asked!  Thank the Lord!

Here's the view from the gate:

8765f220-afc7-48ab-9b0f-98faa5cdaccf.jpg

I actually really like SeaTac airport, the views are pretty, and the best feature in my opinion are the private family bathrooms.  They're big enough for luggage and a large stroller.

I immediately asked the gate agent about a seat for Miss V.  She said she could move me to a row that would likely stay empty.  Score!!

Boarding started earlier than I thought, at about 9:15.  One of the agents helped me get the stroller to the gate check, which was a big help, since I was carrying the babe, car seat and my two carry-ons.

Also awesome, our plane was brand-new (a 737-900 ER), and it had slim seats.

872a77d1-069a-47f8-b3e4-6d36c8823fa1.jpg

It definitely felt less claustrophobic than other planes I've been on.  The seats also had adjustable "head wings" shall we call them, which was interesting.  

The row remained empty too, whew!  Miss V settled into her car seat with a bottle, and it was lights out pretty quickly.

450223ef-339e-4741-8c07-69c95eca959c.jpg

The flight was uneventful.  I have a history of not sleeping on planes, and this was no different.

The flight landed at about 6 am Eastern.

My Dad, Stepmom, and Sister E met us in the terminal.  It was great to see them!  They got up seriously early!

We were quickly on our way back to the Space Coast.  We caught up, and then it was nap time!

By mid-afternoon my sister G came over with BIL and her two kids.  It was the first time the cousins met, and it was beyond cute!

Here they are hanging out on the swing-

59d9266e-7145-4003-a6d3-9c65b851714c.jpg

They had spotted a manatee, and were checking him out.

So, sisters E and G wanted to take me to see a movie.  I am always game for sisters' time, so it was decided that we were going to see the new Star Trek flick.

220px-StarTrekIntoDarkness_FinalUSPoster

I'm not at all into Star Trek, but the movie wasn't all that bad.

As for the rest of the evening..  I can't tell you..  The sleep deprivation was taking over!  I did eventually find a bed at my Dad's house.  

And with that a good night! :)

You're brave carrying all that stuff on a plane by yourself!  

I count 4 1/2 pics.  The Star Trek pic counts as a half.  

You better make up for that in the next post!  

More pics!

:yaysmilesa-smiley: I made it on the 1st page!!

You're off to a great start! 

Thanks!

You're brave carrying all that stuff on a plane by yourself!  

I count 4 1/2 pics.  The Star Trek pic counts as a half.  

You better make up for that in the next post!  

More pics!

Giving me crap already. LOL

BAM!

Juggling the squirmy child, diaper bag, accouterments of many sizes and shapes, all while the child is simultaneously throwing her shoes, made picture taking a bit more challenging...  LOL   Not to say that it didn't happen, just made it more challenging!

In all honesty, I had to delete a bunch cause they came out so blurry.  But you're not going to like the next post...

Cousin meetings are the best!!!

That they are!

I've never heard the Space Coast reference before?  WHat dat be?

Florida nicknames the portions of the coast based on personality of the area. A couple of examples are the Treasure Coast (Port St. Lucie area) because there's lots of shipwrecks.  The Gold Coast (Miami) 'cause it will cost you a mint to live there!

Space Coast refers to the area near NASA or Brevard County.  Basically think Port Canaveral.

:)