This is what those stupid smart phones and tablets have done to our world.  We are now a population of techno-zombies who don't experience Disney World other than in two dimensions on their little glowing screens as they walk around taking video, swiping their way through apps, reseaching how to avoid lines and texting the idiot standing in line next to them rather than carrying on an actual conversation.  And because they spend all their time living life through a device, they need to recharge the damn battery so Voila!...Disney has provided the means to do so.  Great solution to a stupid problem.  How about this?  What about visiting the Magic Kingdom and actually interact with the family in attendance with you, rather than posting every little detail to all your followers on some social media site?  Snap a few pics with the trusty old camera, by all means use the phone to locate your family after you've split up to take the older kids on Space Mtn while the little ones ride small world, but then stick the dumb thing in your pocket and go ride the carousel together.  USB ports?  Oy. 

This is what those stupid smart phones and tablets have done to our world.  We are now a population of techno-zombies who don't experience Disney World other than in two dimensions on their little glowing screens as they walk around taking video, swiping their way through apps, reseaching how to avoid lines and texting the idiot standing in line next to them rather than carrying on an actual conversation.  And because they spend all their time living life through a device, they need to recharge the damn battery so Voila!...Disney has provided the means to do so.  Great solution to a stupid problem.  How about this?  What about visiting the Magic Kingdom and actually interact with the family in attendance with you, rather than posting every little detail to all your followers on some social media site?  Snap a few pics with the trusty old camera, by all means use the phone to locate your family after you've split up to take the older kids on Space Mtn while the little ones ride small world, but then stick the dumb thing in your pocket and go ride the carousel together.  USB ports?  Oy. 

Get with the times Gramps.

The new MyMagic+tm  technology allows guests to access an app which will theoretically allow them to change their Fastpasses and dining reservations.

A camera?  How quaint.  Everyone knows that you are supposed to use an IPad instead.

I tried that stupid app for a while when it came out and found that the only thing it did well was drain the battery in my phone at a rate faster than I have ever seen.  They were probably on my phone the whole time mining my personal information.

To make up for how much battery life their flawed app sucks from their guests phones, they have stuck a couple electric outlets in some fake stumps.

Now, everybody's happy.

TCD

I would have fired every other idiot manager, even though they're all idiot managers, and used the money they spent on being able to charge electronic crap, on hiring new managers with at least have half a brain. Then after the half brained managers are up to speed, I'd fire the remaining half of the no-brained idiot managers.

It is so sad that families can't go into the parks and just enjoy the moment without technology.  What would Walt say about the situation?

That being said, I will carry my smartphone to check line waits.  But I won't recharge it.  When it's done, it's done.

On the plus side, without knowing where to find a plug here and there, you all would have missed out on the glory that was this...

8878161364_54260c403e_b.jpg

Because for sure there would have been no evidence of our 24 Hours of Mayhem without every once in a while needing to do this...

8868559775_b13019b352_b.jpg

But in a normal Disney day, consider this...

while all those people are sitting around waiting for their beloved electronics to charge, the rest of us can be doing this

8877576989_a3bda2e6a8_b.jpg

I will say this... 

I approve of charging stations. It's 2013, afterall. I don't use my phone all the time like a lot of people I know, but the battery does die quick in the parks. It's probably network congestion causing it. It constantly is trying to download emails or other data-hungry apps are hanging since there are tens of thousands of phones using one tower. Can I live without it? Maybe. Would I want to be without it? Not a chance... especially if I'm staying off property and have to drive back. 

Do I approve of the iPad wielding tourists? No. Not at all. 

I have encouraged Bobby to put as many charging stations in as possible. This will concentrate the crowds to certain areas of the park and enable the rest of us to experience attractions and food venues, not to mention restrooms, without the annoying technonerds getting in the way. Bobby's wheels are turning. He will be putting in carts selling smartphone accessories by the charging stations.

I like the charging stations.  In fact, I could have used one during WWW.  Maybe then I could have recharged my trusty regular camera and taken more than one firework photo.   

Kim, the exact same thing happened to me a couple of trips ago!  We were at the marina ... I took one fireworks photo ... and then my camera died.

I now carry a spare battery.

Kim, the exact same thing happened to me a couple of trips ago!  We were at the marina ... I took one fireworks photo ... and then my camera died.

I now carry a spare battery.

The camera was new at the time and the battery life was shorter than I expected.  I keep saying I'm going to get a spare battery, but I may just get one of those charging devices that will work for cameras and phones.  I have a cheap one for my phone which is good for one full charge.   

I like the charging stations.  In fact, I could have used one during WWW.  Maybe then I could have recharged my trusty regular camera and taken more than one firework photo.   

Thanks to the 24 hours of mayhem, I now know of several "secret" places around MK where you can plug in.

Some even have a/c and comfy places to nap!   8)