Aloha! GaDawgFan turns a convention into a week-long stay at the Poly

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s time to start my trip report, while I still remember what happened! Shortly after returning from our April trip, I started entertaining the idea of coming back to Disney for a conference that my

You're right...that was my fault.  Maybe it will become like Godwin's Law and Hitler references....we could have Aaron's Law, which states that bringing Weiner into the discussion is the ultimate hija

I am proud of you for allowing Z to pose with a Gator.     Twin #1 wanted to go to MK to meet Louis.  I can't remember why we couldn't go- but that Limited Time magic fell some time when we couldn't.

My comments are always wholesome and family friendly.  It's all of you who's minds are in the gutter. 

Everyone who believes Dave, raise your hand. Dave, do you see any hands up? I didn't think so.

If you were in RI you would get funny looks if you asked for a hoagie. And water fountains are for decoration. If you want a drink you go to the bubbler.

See weirdoes.

See, I thought a grinder was one that had been toasted.

They're subs.

I'm sorry, but Grinders and Bubblers sound like things Anthony Weiner texts about. 

And yes, I realize my last two posts are somewhat contradictory. 

Yeah, you aren't helping your case.

Nope hot or cold they are all grinders.

Nope, they're subs.

You saved me the trouble...besides we have weiners too. but they are not in politics. 

Now you're sounding like Dave.

And no more talk about sandwiches. Remember, I'm wanting to order those and have them overnighted, and you guys aren't helping me tell myself NO.

OK, let’s finish up AK before this report falls farther off the tracks.

After Kali we headed over to Camp Minnie Mickey. It’s been well documented that Z loves the ladies, especially ones with long hair. So….. the first character we met was Pocahontas. He was really nervous in a cute way.

See him biting his finger? Ha ha

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

Next we met Baloo and King Louie

IMG_2478.jpg

And lastly, Chip and Dale. Chip and Dale had EXCELLENT interaction with the boys. They were tickling them and covering their eyes and just being silly. They really took a long time with them, and it was really cute. I’ll post more pictures of it when I get my photopass CD.

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

After meeting characters it was time for Festival of the Lion King. This was something my mom was REALLY looking forward to seeing Z experience it. He loves the show but gets a little scared about the fire. He hadn’t seen the show in 15 months, and he remembered about the fire. Pretty crazy when you consider that he’s only 4.

Here are some of my FotLK pictures. They’re blurry. I blame Jason because he had my new camera on some weird setting, and I didn’t figure out how to fix it until after this day.  

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

After FotLK we headed to Triceratops Spin. When Dave rethemes it, it will be called DWNWEDBTGS or Dumbo with No Wait Even During Brazilian Tour Group Season.

In fact, we got to experience a tour group on the way to the ride.

IMG_2493.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

Then, it was time for lunch at the Tusker House. I’d heard great things about this lunch, so I was excited. And I was also excited about air conditioning!

I don’t like that you have to pay a million dollars to get the Donald picture, so I took my own that isn’t very good.

IMG_0209.jpg

The buffet area is designed to look like a market. The overall theming of the restaurant is very good like the rest of the Africa area.

IMG_0222.jpg

Dave is going to be mad at me. This is the only picture I took of food. I was starving since it was a later lunch than I usually eat. I was focused on eating and taking character pics. Fail.

IMG_0223.jpg

The mouse. And Z was eating, so he has a weird face.

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

Z was the first to join the dancing parade.

IMG_0217.jpg

These are the times I wish I had the DSLR with me.

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

Overall, I really liked the Tusker House. It wasn’t crowded and the character interaction was pretty good. (I’ve had better.) The food was better than most Disney buffets, I think. I like that there are some adventurous things to try, but there are also enough “safe” items for picky eaters. I thought the pork was a standout.  The bread pudding was also yummy, but I had better later in the trip.

After lunch, we told the moms that the boys really wanted to swim before the rain came. That was partially true. The whole truth was that my friend and I had rented a private cabana to surprise our moms, so we needed to be back at the Poly at 3:00. You’ll get to see lots of pictures of that and learn how we got it FREE in the next update.

Your all weirdos. Everyone knows they are grinders. :D

If you were in RI you would get funny looks if you asked for a hoagie. And water fountains are for decoration. If you want a drink you go to the bubbler.

I grew up in between Worcester MA and the RI line and went to school in RI.

Jason may be the weirdest but he also is 100% correct.  :raspberry:

IMG_0190.jpg

ADORABLE!!

Great character meets at CM&M!  We have found you can see a lot of them there for very short waits.

Thanks for the Tusker House review.  I've always wondered whether or not we should try it.  I didn't realize they did a character lunch there.  I thought it was just breakfast!!!

And did you say FREE?!  Can't wait to hear about it!

Thanks for the update!

I knew there would be pics of Z with the ladies before too long. 

Did I see an Anthony Weiner reference in this TR........that is pretty much the ultimate thing that could be brought up to not just hijack a TR but turn it into a complete train wreck.  At least there were no pics.

Looking forward to free cabana time at the Poly.

Did I see an Anthony Weiner reference in this TR........that is pretty much the ultimate thing that could be brought up to not just hijack a TR but turn it into a complete train wreck.  At least there were no pics.

You're right...that was my fault.  Maybe it will become like Godwin's Law and Hitler references....we could have Aaron's Law, which states that bringing Weiner into the discussion is the ultimate hijack and will result in a train wreck.  :rofl2:

I grew up in between Worcester MA and the RI line and went to school in RI.

Jason may be the weirdest but he also is 100% correct.  :raspberry:

I must be having a really good week. That's the second time a woman has said I was correct. LOL

Great character meets at CM&M!  We have found you can see a lot of them there for very short waits.

Thanks for the Tusker House review.  I've always wondered whether or not we should try it.  I didn't realize they did a character lunch there.  I thought it was just breakfast!!!

And did you say FREE?!  Can't wait to hear about it!

Thanks for the update!

If you are going to do a character meal, I would recommend Tusker House. My only comment would be that the character interaction could be better, especially since it was only half full. It wasn't bad, but it was great. It could easily be great. I don't think a lot of people realize Mickey is there.

And yes, FREE!

I love Tusker house! They switched it to characters like the week after our trip in 2011, or something like that.

Did you get the corn bread? Their cornbread is pretty darn good.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the cabana!

I did have cornbread, both traditional and mealy. And it is good! (But Trails End/HDDR cornbread is better)

I knew there would be pics of Z with the ladies before too long. 

Looking forward to free cabana time at the Poly.

Dave brings the place down. :rofl2:

There will be many pictures of Z and ladies coming. He turned it up after his buddy left.

You're right...that was my fault.  Maybe it will become like Godwin's Law and Hitler references....we could have Aaron's Law, which states that bringing Weiner into the discussion is the ultimate hijack and will result in a train wreck.  :rofl2:

Something was your fault?

I must be having a really good week. That's the second time a woman has said I was correct. LOL

There's a first time for everything. :)

You're right...that was my fault. Maybe it will become like Godwin's Law and Hitler references....we could have Aaron's Law, which states that bringing Weiner into the discussion is the ultimate hijack and will result in a train wreck. :rofl2:

Works for me:

Aaron's Law: the only weiners we talk about on FF shall be the variety grilled and/or purchased at a baseball game.

It is so ordered.

Works for me:

Aaron's Law: the only weiners we talk about on FF shall be the variety grilled and/or purchased at a baseball game.

It is so ordered.

Sounds good! It is law now.

See how thin the onions are on this hoagie?

sp_product_master%20hoagie%203%20shadow.

New Yorkers chop or slice them way too thick.

Dang, now I want a hoagie.

I'm with you. Thin onions (but cooked). SUBS

Now that's one delicious-looking sub.

You said FREE.  Sounds like you had problems.  IMHO the only time Disney does free is when they've made a big blunder.

It wasn't really a problem. I thought it was funny.

Those onions are way too thin. They need a little bite when you are eating

Uh oh, now you're wrong again.

I like how mcDonalds does their onions for burgers.

If they are too thin, they seem limp? And too thick is too strong of a taste for me.

Ewwwwww McDonalds.

I am so not touching the limp comment.

That's Dave's job.

I rarely get onions on a sandwich cause I like them cooked so well they are almost caramalized.  Can't handle the crunch and the bite of raw onions.

Finally someone gets it. Caramelized onions are the only way to go.

Can't get too much onion, I like about 1/4" slab for the flavor.

Gross.