The TCD Gang Sails Again!: A Four Night Disney Dream Trip Report

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

True story.....Jack skipped the safety drill.  Had he gone, he would have known that there was plenty of room for him on that board next to Rose. 

Really!  I don't know how they conned us into going back to Enchanted Garden for that limited menu when we could have enjoyed one last buffet at Cabanas.  Oh well....next time. 

Those gates reminded me of something, but I couldn't place it.  And then it came to me.   

If you are an even number in your family say 4 or 6, do you have a better chance of having your own table verses families of 5 or 7?

I agree with what Dave says in the next post.  They will fill the tables however they can.

I don't think so....I think many of the tables seat 8.  We were alone last year, as they could have only fit one more.  I'd say a party of 6 or less has more chance getting a couple, or another family, with them.  Although I imagine they would not seat a couple with a family with young kids.  I think they pair up multiple couples if possible. 

This matches up with what we saw.  They seem to try to match parties who will be compatible.  The party with us had two teens- so they were in the same age range as our girls.  There was a table of 8 near us that had all younger couples.  I've seen some bad matches though- with people not talking to each other.

When there has only been the 4 of us(Linda's sister and friend) we have always had our own table.

Do you ask for your own table?  Or maybe you are on some kind of list to keep the other guests away since you're Grumpy?

Clueless parents SMB.  But I don't agree that they're clueless.  I think they just don't care about their children or about others.  They're all in it for themselves.  A sad commentary on today's society.

Indeed.  And it's not just parents.  People have gotten really bad about the "it's all about me attitude."

On our first cruise, it was our honeymoon, and we were seated with 3 other couples who were also celebrating their honeymoon. One couple was the straight relax and do nothing, another wanted to have fun but didn't know how, and the third was a nice couple from Japan. We talked about our days at dinner, polite small talk, but it seemed DW and I were the only ones who did anything fun (except the Japanese couple, but I was the only who talked to them because they did not speak English and I was the only one who spoke even a little Japanese). The couple who didn't know how to have fun kept saying they should have done this or that, but didn't. Like pirate night when we dressed like pirates and had a great time.

The second cruise, we had our daughters with us and had our own table.

The third cruise, just DW and I, we were seated with another couple. They showed up the first dinner, then opted out of the dining rotation all together and we never saw them again. So we basically had our own table.

Interesting. 

But I can top your tablemate stories.

I think it's time.

Stand by.

They expect everyone else to take care of/look after their kids. There were mom's like that in Adam's playgroup. I finally got to the point that unless a kid was going to get seriously hurt, I wasn't stepping in anymore. By breaking up fights and keeping them from minor injuries was just enabling the moms to keeping running their mouths and ignoring their kids.

Wow.  What is wrong with people?  I said it earlier- I really fear what these kids will be like as adults.  As bad as it is now, I don't think any of us are ready for what is coming.

KFK but another thought that Devores made me think of.

Brian used to work for a greenhouse supply company and every year they had a Christmas trip for the employees and they could bring one person. The one year was a day trip to NYC and a sunset dinner cruise. We had like 6 hours a free time where we packed in as much as we could, at dinner we were talking to other people and they did nothing. They had never been to NYC and had no idea what to do or where to start. I just don't understand not planning ahead and doing some research? Maybe because I'm crazy compulsive about planning I just can't imagine not making the most of your trip.

especially on a cruise when they give you a print out of what's going on.

Agreed.  The same thing happens at Disney World.  I'm sure we've all heard people in the parks speaking to CM's trying to understand the concept of Fastpass.  Seriously.  They spent all the money it costs to take their family to WDW, and they didn't do the most basic of research?  I don't understand it.

Finally caught up.

I agree the height requirements need to be changed if kids keep getting stuck.

Clueless parents do in fact SMB.

I may be showing my ignorance here, but who was the character you guys had your picture taken with that looks like a cross between Goofy and Mickey's toothless cousin?

I can't believe you've never seen The Goofy Movie.  You need to get a copy, and let the kids watch with you.  It is awesome.  It really is.

Max, Goofy's son. Rent A Goofy movie, it's cute.

Agreed.

By the way, I neglected to mention that one of the amenities on the Dream is a pretty cool collection of free on demand movies that you can watch in your cabin.  They have just about any Disney movie that you can think of, and probably some that you can't even think of.  You can pause the movies and watch them when you have time.  I pulled up the Country Bears one night.  I didn't get to finish it though.  I'll bet they have The Goofy Movie.

TCD

That always confused me.  Who's Goofy's wife?

That is a good question.  They don't address that in the movie at all.

Origins

The first appearance of Goofy's son was in the 1951 theatrical short Fathers Are People. He is referred to as Goofy Jr or simply Junior. He later appeared in a few other shorts such as Father's Lion (1952), Father's Day Off (1953) and Aquamania (1961). In these earlier films, Goofy was also portrayed with a wife, though she is always nameless and faceless. When Goof Troop was created, Goofy Junior evolved into Max, and Goofy's wife was no longer on the scene.[1]

Interesting.  I seem to recall a cartoon short where Goofy's wife looked kind of human.  Not like a dog at all.  That always bothered me.

That's from wiki.

I think it's Daisy Duck.

LOL!

Way to rock the Rock Paper Scissors, Twin #1!   :)

Right on!  That is going to be a story that is retold and embellished by the TCD gang for the rest of time.

I've not cruised Disney, but just did Carnival in March.  Previously had done one Carnival and two RC YEARS ago.  I have to say, we really enjoyed Carnival's flexible dining.  You basically just show up and tell them you want a table for 2 and it's just like a restaurant.  If you show up peak time, you may wait to be seated 20-30 min, but some other days, little to no wait.   You get to sit just the two of you and you aren't locked into times.  I wonder why Disney doesn't go to that with one of their dining rooms... Carnival still has early and late seating as well in a different dining room, so it's nice to have the option. 

I have never cruised with this flexible dining, but I know a lot of cruise lines have gone to it.  Personally, I like the way it's done on DCL.  I like knowing that I just need to show up at the designated place and time, and my table will be ready, and we will have the same servers for the length of the cruise.  I would really dislike having to agree on where and when we will eat each night- and really would dislike even a 20-30 minute wait.  I would gladly rather have tablemates then flexible dining.

You can do A la Carte dining in Cabana's at night. 

Jason are you saying you can order the dining room food there?

I just did a quick look around. So far I have found a menu from a couple of years ago on the Dream for dinner at Cabana's

http://allears.net/cruise/ships/dream/dining/menus/cabanas_din.htm

Cabanas Dinner 

Disney Dream

Deck 11 Aft

Full Service

Menu Date: February 2011

Items Change Often

Appetizers

Ahi Tuna and Avocado Tower - with crispy noodles and Wasabi dressing

Romaine Wedge - Fresh crisp Romain topped with a creamy Romano dressing and homemade spiced croutons

Baked Potato and Cheddar Cheese Soup - with bacon bits and chives

Wild Mushroom Risotto and Porcini Twist - served with Parmigiano-Reggiano

Entrees

From the Grill: Grilled Chicken Breast, Marinated Rib-Eye Steak, New York Strip Steak, Salmon Steak - all grilled items served with fresh garden vegetables, choice of mashed potatoes, fingerling potato and

Cabanas Salad Bowl - arugula leaves and grilled vegetable salad topped with sliced beef tenderloin, marjoram, bacon, and Ranch dressing

Glazed Portobello Mushrooms - with brown lentil and parsley sauce, and sun-dried tomato cream drizzle

Pan-seared Sea Bass - with saffron and fennel risotto with a sweet chili glaze

Black Truffle Pasta Purseittes - scented cheese and coasted with a delicate champagne sauce

Children's Selection

Cream of Tomato Soup

Tropical Fruit Cup with Orange Strawberry Drizzle

Mickey Mac n Cheese

Chicken Tenders

Rich Chocolate Fudge Cake

White Chocolate Cheese Cake

Dessert

No Sugar Added Strawberry Cheesecake - with whipped cream and fruit coulis

Sacher Chocolate Torte - with apricot sauce

Cabanas Sundae - pineapple, vanilla ice cream, whipped cream and caramel sauce

We have never done this, and I don't envision a time that we ever would.  But, the menu looks pretty good.  It looks like they just assembled the highlights from the various dining rooms.  I imagine the food comes from the main kitchen for each dining room, so you are getting the same food quality as you would if you went to your dining room seating.  This is a great option for families who might want or need more flexibility.

Great TR, I found a good last minute deal on an October cruise out of Galveston on the Wonder.

I plan to wear shorts to dinner, reserve chairs, and sneak int the concierge lounge. Unless my wife tells me not to.

Please let us know how you like the Wonder.  Most of our DCL cruises have been on the Wonder. I love that ship.  You will have a great time!

As long as you're breaking rules, don't forget to walk on the rocks on Castaway Cay.

TCD

Since we are getting near the end of this report.  Very near, in fact, it seems like this is a good time to share my cruise tablemates tales.  I may have told some of these before, but not in this trip report, so don't stop me if you've heard any of these. 

Mrs.TCD and I took our first cruise to celebrate our first anniversary in August, 1988.  This was not something that we spent a lot of time planning.  There was a lot of press coverage that year about a new cruise ship that had launched in 1988, and was the largest passenger ship ever built.  It was Royal Caribbean's Sovereign of the Seas.  Cruising had been around for a long time, but there never was a ship like this.  It had a big, open atrium inside the ship, a two story theater, and amazing public areas, including a bar that served nothing but champagne and caviar. I noticed that summer that several travel agencies were promoting Florida resident rates on the cruise, and one day, Mrs. TCD and I stopped in a travel agency to get some information about cruising.  It's hard to remember now, but there was no internet back then, and booking a cruise or any kind of trip required a visit to a travel agent.  We got the information, and it seemed like a fun time, and the price didn't seem too bad, so we booked a seven night cruise out of Miami.

The ship was amazing.  We really didn't know what to expect.  We were surprised by all of the activities and entertainment offered.  Cruise ships were different then.  They didn't have their own shows.  They booked outside entertainers and had them perform in the theaters.  On this cruise, we had Rita Moreno, who performed three or four of the nights, and a guy we had never heard of named Jerry Vale.  Apparently, he was a big star in the 50's. 

One thing that we noticed early on is that we were way, way younger than all of our fellow passengers.  The market for cruise ships back then was retirees, and that is who predominantly was on this cruise.

So, I guess we shouldn't have been surprised when we met our tablemates at our first dinner.  We were seated at a table of ten, with four other couples.  All of them were old.  Really old.  Especially to us- as we were just in our mid-20's.  And, they all knew each other.  They told us that they all lived in the same development in Florida, and that they often took trips together.  You know what, though?  It was fun.  They all were interested in hearing what we did each day, and they would save us seats at the shows.  But, man were they old.  The oldest guy at the table was kind of slick.  He didn't wear a tie with his suits, and he was really tan and had a big gold medallion, and slicked back hair.  He always seemed to end up seated next to Mrs. TCD.  On about the fourth night of the cruise, with a twinkle in his eye, he asks Mrs. TCD if she had ever heard of the place where they all lived:  Paradise Lakes?  She said no.  He smiled to himself.  I kept a poker face.  I had heard of Paradise Lakes- it isn't too far from where we lived, and it is a big "clothing optional" resort- what we used to call a nudist colony.  I shared that fact with Mrs. TCD later.  We saw those four couples in a different light after that.  But, it ended up being a lot of fun.

We liked that cruise so much, that we tried another.  This time on Princess.  That was all old people too.  That's the way it was back then.  There were no family cruises yet.  On this cruise, we were seated at a four top with one other couple.  They were an older couple from Scotland, or all places.  They were taking back to back 7 night cruises on the ship, and this was their second week on the ship.  The man, Jackie, was crazy.  He had the worst sunburn we had ever seen in our lives, but he kept going out in the sun every day.  It looked painful.  His skin was blistered and peeling.  His nose was raw.  But, he was having a great time.  They ended up being a lot of fun.  But, they couldn't have picked a more different couple to seat us with.

We took a cruise on another Royal Caribbean ship called the Nordic Empress, also during its inaugural year.  We were again at a big table with all old people.  As far as we knew, none of them were nudists this time.  The guy we always seemed to sit next to hated every thing about this brand new ship. Mostly the coffee. That's all he drank.  At dinner.  And, he complained about how bad every cup was.  The other thing we remember about him is that the dinner menu had a cheese course on it, which was supposed to be served after the main course but before dessert.  Who eats cheese like that ?  This guy did. Every night.  And he was the only one at our table who did.  So, we all had to wait every night while this guy ate his cheese and drank the coffee that he hated before we could have our dessert.  I can still do a pretty good impersonation of him, which cracks Mrs. TCD up every time.

That was kind of how it went on the cruises that we took before we had kids.  We always were seated with old folks.

But nothing will ever top the nudists.

TCD

I thought you were going to tell us they were swingers. 

I think the dude with the slicked back hair and gold medallion was.  But, he didn't have the nerve to say so.  The dude's face looked like a catchers' mitt.  One that had been left out in the rain and run over by the lawnmower.

Sounds like they might have been. And apparently cruising is very popular with swingers. We had some try to "pick us up" on our last cruise. 

Yuck.  70+ year old swingers.  There would have been stuff swinging all right.

TCD

Let's move along.

We are on night four of our four night cruise.

Man, that went fast.

It always does.  But, we got our money's worth.  We didn't waste a minute.  OK, that wait for the broken down Aqua Duck was a waste.  But, other than that we didn't.

Dinner tonight was again at Animator's Palate.  It was pirate night the night before, so tonight was talk to Crush night.  But, our table was in the middle of the dining room.  Which is BS, by the way.  Our table the first two nights was crammed on the edge of the dining room.  Suddenly, we get to AP, and we're in the middle?  If I cared, I would have complained.  But, I've spoken to Crush plenty in my life, and they seemed to have moved all the tables with kids near the screens, so that was fine.

We had another great dinner. We finally got our tablemates talking.  The mom had told us earlier how the teen girl was the Disney expert, and she enjoyed trying to answer the trivia questions that we remembered from our epic victory.  The mom got bent at one point, though, when she insisted that it was Christina Aguilera who was the singing voice of Jasmine and Mulan.  Twin #1 tried to tell the lady that Christina may have covered songs from the movies, but it was not her voice in the movie.  The mom actually got mad about this! 

Anyway, the meal went by fast, and it was time to go.  That meant time to pass out the tip envelopes and say goodbye.  We had already decided that we were going to try the Cabanas buffet for breakfast on the last morning, instead of coming to the dining room like we have on all of our previous cruises.  So, we said our goodbyes there.

Our waiter, ATMAJA (I see it on his name tag now, so now I know how to spell it, but still can't say it) insisted that we take a group shot.  He went in the back and got another server who apparently is the resident photography expert to take the shots.  This is what we got:

IMG_5640_zps62a13637.jpg

IMG_5641_zpsabdded82.jpg

IMG_5644_zps7445a1d7.jpg

IMG_5645_zps60ddf567.jpg

You get the idea.  There must be 50 photos like that.  The dude was quick with the shutter.

We needed a group shot without our servers in it, so we stopped in the atrium and got that :

IMG_5648_zpsa7088fef.jpg

And when we found our cabin steward, Nayla, in the hall when we got back to the cabins, we snapped a photo with him, too:

IMG_5649_zps116ad53d.jpg

It was stingray towel animals tonight, but we didn't have time to enjoy them, we had to rush up to the Aqua Duck to get in our last rides:

DCL2013390_zps8a315354.jpg

The 11 pm close time killed us.  As did the long line.  Boo.  We got one ride in each.  There wasn't time for any more.  Fail.  Nobody made it to ten rides this cruise. 

Then it was back to the cabins to change, and to order our last Mickey bars.

Then, back to wander the ship one last time:

IMG_5654_zps86264c29.jpg

IMG_5672_zps63cb5c80.jpg

We stopped by the atrium several times to get our cartwheels done. but there were always people there.  Usually the ship is pretty empty that last night, but this cruise, people were out late wandering.

So we didn't get the cartwheels done either.

We didn't do real great with the List of Fun this cruise.

Which is strange, because we sure did have fun.

This is a short update, because that's all I have from night four.

That leaves just tomorrow morning, and we will be off the ship early.

Really early.  Not by choice.  That's how they do it.

So, it looks like just one more update, and we will be done.

Well, not really, if you count the bonus features.

TCD

Trips coming to an end SMB.

Good TRs coming to an end SMB.

Bonus features are always good though because there is almost always a day trip or two to WDW included.

Don't forget you owe me the MP story still too.

You guys could have easily picked up the server or the cabin steward.  Next LOF:  Nix the DJ part and just say any CM.

One good thing.

You only got 6 AD rides in.

Insert Jedi Mind Trick here:

You now feel extremely ripped off that you did not get 10 AD rides in and will now immediately book another cruise and share the trip report with everyone here.

End Jedi mind trick.

I just don't understand not planning ahead and doing some research? Maybe because I'm crazy compulsive about planning I just can't imagine not making the most of your trip.

Oh my goodness!!!  What do you think is the percentage of people who go to WDW for the first time and do NO planning or research whatsoever?  I have lost count of the times on the buses that we have overheard people trying to figure out how to get somewhere or what was at what park.  Classic was when the couple asked me if that bus was the one to get to Universal.   

So, yeah, I can imagine it happens on the cruise ships, too.  I just can't see spending that kind of money to go somewhere and leaving your brain at home.

Last night blues.

I don't want the trip to be over.

Neither did we.  But, all good things must come to an end.

And thus did the cruise.

Last night SMB. 

Yeah, but we definitely do not think about it being the last night.  I skipped over the part about us having to pack our suitcases and get them in the hall before dinner.  That's the part I hate the worst.  We got it done, but I'm not talking about it.

Trips coming to an end SMB.

Good TRs coming to an end SMB.

Bonus features are always good though because there is almost always a day trip or two to WDW included.

Don't forget you owe me the MP story still too.

You guys could have easily picked up the server or the cabin steward.  Next LOF:  Nix the DJ part and just say any CM.

One good thing.

You only got 6 AD rides in.

Insert Jedi Mind Trick here:

You now feel extremely ripped off that you did not get 10 AD rides in and will now immediately book another cruise and share the trip report with everyone here.

End Jedi mind trick.

Not that it's important, but make that 7 AD rides for TCD.  Which was tops in the TCD gang.  We each got one more ride that last night.  Next trip, I'm going during the show on Castaway Cay day.  Everyone else will be waterlogged.  And so will I, but I'll get my rides in, darn it.

That Jedi mind trick worked on me.  I am definitely going to try to get the gang on a cruise next summer.  No way can we plan that yet, though.

I am so going to get a cruise.... off to look for an appropriate '80's cruise movie to torture the boys with

Since I'm pretty sure you're not talking about Tom Cruise, I can't even think of one cruise movie other than the Poseidon adventure.  And that was definitely way before the '80's,

Oh my goodness!!!  What do you think is the percentage of people who go to WDW for the first time and do NO planning or research whatsoever?  I have lost count of the times on the buses that we have overheard people trying to figure out how to get somewhere or what was at what park.  Classic was when the couple asked me if that bus was the one to get to Universal.   

So, yeah, I can imagine it happens on the cruise ships, too.  I just can't see spending that kind of money to go somewhere and leaving your brain at home.

LOL!  Twice on our last trip to WDW, we ran into guests at resort hotels trying to figure out how to get back to All Star Sports.  I kept wondering, how did they get to where they were and not understand how to get back?

TCD