The TCD Gang Sails Again!: A Four Night Disney Dream Trip Report

If I had to wager a guess, I would say that more DCL cabins are booked with more than 2 people than any other cruise line.  Double occupancy typically means a "couple".  I bet there are more families booking DCL as a percentage of available cabins than the industry average. 

Good point.  But, RCCL markets to families heavily too.  A lot of the activities they have on their newer ships are clearly there to attract families with young kids.

Lou is both correct and incorrect.

Yes the Disney Dream is 23 ft longer than a Nimitz carrier (which is the one I was on), but the beam of the carrier is 137 ft more. For those wondering, the beam of a ship is maximum width of the ship. So the carrier is wider, and therefore, larger than the Dream. The Dream also has 16 decks while the carrier has 18. So the carrier is taller than the dream as well.

The reason for the tonnage difference is the carriers are hallow insides in order to carry more weight. When fully loaded with aircraft, the carrier will out weigh the Dream. The dream is laden down with all the plush luxuries for the guests so it will weigh more.

There's more to measuring a ship than length.

Type: Aircraft carrier Displacement: 100,000 to 104,600 long tons (100,000–106,300 t)[1] Length: Overall: 1,092 feet (332.8 m)

Waterline: 1,040 feet (317.0 m) Beam: Overall: 252 ft (76.8 m)

Waterline: 134 ft (40.8 m)

Class & type: Dream-class cruise ship (Disney) Tonnage: 129,690 GT Length: 1,115 ft (340 m) Beam: 137 ft (42 m) Draft: 26 ft (7.9 m)

Aha!  I thought so.

In fairness to Lou, he did say that carriers were much wider.

It's all about the max tonnage and whatever the average number of people they fit into a stateroom in order to achieve that tonnage.

DCL was one of the first to design their staterooms for especially for families, and they use that fact on their promos.

I seem to have gained some tonnage on my cruise.  Must have been all the bacon.  And the room service.

TCD

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

True story.....Jack skipped the safety drill.  Had he gone, he would have known that there was plenty of room for him on that board next to Rose. 

Really!  I don't know how they conned us into going back to Enchanted Garden for that limited menu when we could have enjoyed one last buffet at Cabanas.  Oh well....next time. 

Those gates reminded me of something, but I couldn't place it.  And then it came to me.   

Lou is both correct and incorrect.

Type: Aircraft carrier Displacement: 100,000 to 104,600 long tons (100,000–106,300 t)[1] Length: Overall: 1,092 feet (332.8 m)

Waterline: 1,040 feet (317.0 m) Beam: Overall: 252 ft (76.8 m)

Waterline: 134 ft (40.8 m)

Class & type: Dream-class cruise ship (Disney) Tonnage: 129,690 GT Length: 1,115 ft (340 m) Beam: 137 ft (42 m) Draft: 26 ft (7.9 m)

Hold on schmuck face, where's the incorrect part?

By the numbers you posted, the length, and tonnage of the the Dream exceeds that of the ACC.

As for the beam being wider, it's only because of the huge flat top that overhangs the hull on both sides.

What's the width of the ACC's hull without the flat top?

Hmmm.  Should we continue to debate whose is bigger, or move on?

I vote move on!

We left off on the bike path.

It was hot.

We decided to stop for a dip at Serenity Bay.

This is the junction of the bike path and runway:

DCLUnderwater288_zps0d564d86.jpg

There's another real plane on display here.  Cool:

DCLUnderwater289_zpsc7b23f14.jpg

A look down the runway from Serenity Bay.  There's a bike rack just off to the left, and the tram stop is to the right.  I'm sure you can't miss the big fake palm tree:

DCLUnderwater290_zps477b2040.jpg

Here is Serenity Bay.  I had never seen it before in person.  I have to admit it's pretty darn nice:

DCLUnderwater291_zps8fe999ae.jpg

This is the Castaway Air bar.  I think I'm coming here for a drink the next time I'm on the island:

DCLUnderwater292_zps7088c1a2.jpg

There are hammocks here on the beach.  I'll bet it's hard to snag one of those early in the day, but they were open in the afternoon.  Beyond the ropes there is the crew beach, which I accidentally visited on my last cruise.  I didn't realize how close it was to Serenity Bay:

DCLUnderwater293_zps793cd7d7.jpg

Now we are looking the other way down the beach.  The point that we just visited on our bike ride is way down there on the end:

DCLUnderwater294_zps930cb72a.jpg

There are plenty of chairs and umbrellas here.  The shacks you see behind the umbrellas are the cabanas where you can get a massage:

DCLUnderwater295_zps5913cf9d.jpg

The water is really shallow here- look way out there in the water, and you can see that there are guests standing and the water isn't even waist deep:

DCLUnderwater296_zps1dae6dc1.jpg

Another look at the crew beach:

DCLUnderwater297_zpsbfb61d44.jpg

I am not sure what crew gets to use that beach, but it isn't all of them.  Our room steward, Nayla, told us on our cruise last year that he had never been off the ship at Castaway Cay.  Never.  I asked him this year, if he had ever been.  Still no.  And he wants to visit.  He just has no time off.  They work six months straight.  Every day.  And then six months off.  That is a tough life.

The Castaway Air bar as seen from the water:

DCLUnderwater298_zps6ceb8414.jpg

Umbrellas and cabanas:

DCLUnderwater299_zps0583572c.jpg

The water here is very clear:

DCLUnderwater300_zps6d6c0373.jpg

Now we can say that we've been to Serenity Bay.  And, it was time to head back.  So we did.  Right down the bike path.  This is the path that takes you from the runway back to the rental shack:

DCLUnderwater301_zps95bbd241.jpg

When we made it back to the family beach we noticed more clouds and less guests.  I'll take it:

DCLUnderwater302_zps3c077673.jpg

DCLUnderwater303_zps2ae33da1.jpg

DCLUnderwater304_zpsd91f2e00.jpg

Two of the TCD girls decided to head back to the ship.  They had had enough fun.  Mrs. TCD and I still had beer left, so we stayed, as did Twin #1, who found an abandoned float and was loving life:

DCLUnderwater305_zps94309bec.jpg

DCLUnderwater306_zps2b24aed4.jpg

After a while, Twin #1 decided to pack it in, and she headed back too.

That left just Mrs. TCD and I and two beers.  We dragged a couple of those short chairs down to the water and opened the last beers:

DCLUnderwater307_zps55e441b8.jpg

As we sat and enjoyed, more and more people packed up and left.  All aboard time was 5 pm, and the beaches stayed open until 4:30, so we stayed.

I looked over and saw no line at Pelican Plunge.  So, I headed over for one last slide:

DCLUnderwater308_zps3dc3dbd9.jpg

Fish swimming right near the shore:

DCLUnderwater309_zps694169d0.jpg

I had both slide all to myself:

DCLUnderwater310_zps60f24f3c.jpg

This big bucket is supposed to fill with water and dump out on the deck below.  I just realized that it had not been working all day while we were there.  I wonder if that is just a temporary thing, or if it was shut down for good?:

DCLUnderwater312_zps643c6475.jpg

Looking out from the stairs of Pelican Plunge:

DCLUnderwater313_zps5424db79.jpg

This time of day, I feel like I have the whole island to myself:

DCLUnderwater314_zps6a8aef8b.jpg

I could have taken multiple rides, but one was enough for me.  My final look at Pelican Plunge- I love that Hidden Mickey made out of life rings up top:

DCLUnderwater315_zps6d5f0ac8.jpg

Then it was back to the chairs by the water with Mrs. TCD.  The clouds continued to blow in, but there was no lightning.  Here's how things looked a little after 4:

DCLUnderwater316_zps0df28f60.jpg

A few hours earlier, that little stretch of sand was packed full of people.  Now, it's just us and a few more.

Eventually, those few more left, and we had the whole place to ourselves.

We were the last guests on the family beach.

We didn't wait until 4:30.

We packed up our stuff and headed to the tram stop.

Next up, we leave the island and prepare to sail away.

Will we be the last guests to board the ship?

It's been done before.

TCD

Hold on schmuck face, where's the incorrect part?

By the numbers you posted, the length, and tonnage of the the Dream exceeds that of the ACC.

As for the beam being wider, it's only because of the huge flat top that overhangs the hull on both sides.

What's the width of the ACC's hull without the flat top?

The original argument was are carriers bigger than DCL ships. The truth of the matter is, yes. They are wider and taller. So yes, the Dream is heavier and longer (by 20 some feet) but the carriers are wider and taller. You displayed information that only supported your side of the argument in an effort to influence the readers to believe you. I posted ALL of the information so they can make an educated decision.

and the width without the "flat top" is 134 ft at the waterline. Its in the post above. 3ft less than the dream.

For someone who doesn't read TRs you are making cameos all throughout this one.......

I only knew the 4,000 number because Jason made me make him a chart of info about the different cruise options. And then he picked Royal Caribbean. Oh well, I still love him. And I'm sure we'll have a blast. We will be on the Freedom of the Seas.

The adult beach looks amazing.

I like Twin 1's style. As soon as you said she left too, I was wondering about last on the boat.

All this talk of carriers reminded of a story from my brother...

He decided to go to the Air Force Academy instead of the Naval Academy.

He didn't like the thought of landing a jet on a postage stamp in the middle of the ocean!

We had an Air Force pilot who was with our Squadron ( pilot exchange program) who "loved" carrier landings. He was upset when his tour with us was over.

I'd give my pinkie toe to be parked in a lounge chair at Serenity Bay right now.

Looks like an awesome day at Castaway Cay all around!

Hmmm.  I'm not sure I would give my pinkie toe.  Serenity Bay is nice, but I like my toes.

It was an awesome day on Castaway Cay.  Sadly, we will be leaving the island in the next update.

You're right.  There are too many Daves.  So...I think the time has come at last, to throw away this mask.  Now everyone can see, my true identity.  I'm Kilroy! 

I knew it.

Wait, who is Kilroy?

I vote for a chair at "Castaway Air Bar".

I am definitely going to be there on my next visit.

Ok, Ok, boys and your big toys...enough about how big it is.  We know HUGE....  back to the trip report.

LOL!

So true.

Really! Besides, we know most of them are known to exaggerate when it comes to size.

Oh dear.

I only knew the 4,000 number because Jason made me make him a chart of info about the different cruise options. And then he picked Royal Caribbean. Oh well, I still love him. And I'm sure we'll have a blast. We will be on the Freedom of the Seas.

The adult beach looks amazing.

I like Twin 1's style. As soon as you said she left too, I was wondering about last on the boat.

Hey, no worries- you will have a great time.  My first cruise was on Royal Caribbean, and we've been on several.  It's great.  Disney is still better, though, so you need to keep working on Jason.

No cruise line has a private island that comes anywhere close to Castaway Cay.

We will see who was last on the ship in the next update.

All this talk of carriers reminded of a story from my brother...

He decided to go to the Air Force Academy instead of the Naval Academy.

He didn't like the thought of landing a jet on a postage stamp in the middle of the ocean!

My brother is a Naval Aviator.  He says there is nothing like a carrier landing.

And I believe him.  From what I've seen, it's a controlled crash.

Remember the Winston commercial? It's not how long you make it, it's how you make it long. :)

Cigarette commercials?  Those went out with diving off of aircraft carriers, Dave.

I don't remember that one, but I can sing the Winston Tastes Good Like a Cigarette Should jingle.

Those were the days.

TCD

We reluctantly left the beach and made our way to the tram stop.

I took a few photos on the way.

There are so many great details on Castaway Cay.  I think we visited each of the places mentioned on this sign.  Except for the teen hideout.  But who wants to go there? :

DCL2013278_zps0f5f53ad.jpg

There would be no more float or flipper rentals today:

DCL2013279_zps5fb65b86.jpg

This is the path to Pelican Point, which, coincidentally and conveniently is where Pelican Plunge is located.  In fact, you can see Pelican Plunge there in the background:

DCL2013280_zpsa7a35941.jpg

We caught a mostly empty tram, and waited a bit for some stragglers to join us. This tractor is pulling a big trailer full of wet towels.  Those are going back on the ship to be washed.  They don't stay on the island:

DCL2013281_zpse5ef64e6.jpg

If anyone is wondering about the availability of wheelchairs on the island, they have a bunch here to use:

DCL2013282_zps217b267c.jpg

The tram took us back to the path to the ship:

DCL2013284_zps825ed2e6.jpg

There is a little photo op place here near the tram stop:

DCL2013286_zps30a45ddf.jpg

There are some props missing from it.  There is supposed to be a big fish here holding a fishing pole, and on the hook is a giant hot dog that he is using as bait.  Get it?  All of that is missing.  We used to always take a photo here, and the girls all used to want to each have a turn pretending like they were biting the hot dog.  But the hot dog was gone!

So, I improvised:

DCL2013287_zpsebf91f91.jpg

That's me eating a giant invisible hot dog.  The TCD girls think that's a hilarious photo.  But probably it isn't so funny to you.  So let's move on.

There's the Dream.  That's where we're going.  The small boats you see in the foreground are the boats used for the various excursions and activities on the island, like parasailing.  A couple of the boats have another purpose.  We will see one of these in action in just a bit:

DCL2013288_zps0eaad4ad.jpg

As we walked past the boat area, I spotted a sign that I have never noticed before.  I took a photo, which I call Small Sign Big Ego:

DCL2013289_zps0e2bfcfc.jpg

Do you know the significance of the reference to Willow Bay?  Google it and see.  I told you.  Big ego.

They really do use ropes to tie up the ship.  A lot of ropes:

DCL2013290_zpsbd7af490.jpg

As we approached the Dream, they still had both the forward and aft gangways open.  That meant we were not the last guests on the island, and a bit early to be the last.  They close the forward gangway when there are just a few guests left.  It was still open, so we headed that way, since our cabins were forward.  That would save us a lot of walking on the ship.  You can see here the giant bins of towels that they are preparing to bring aboard:

DCL2013291_zps3c9f53e6.jpg

Now we are looking back toward the aft gangway:

DCL2013292_zps92ea0d35.jpg

We had the distinction of being the last guests to return via the forward gangway.  Not as big as being the last on the island, but still, it's something.  As soon as we boarded, they rolled up the carpet and brought on the hand sanitizing station:

DCL2013293_zps2a153ae3.jpg

Entering from the forward was great, we just had to walk up one flight of stairs, and we were at our cabins.  We dropped off our stuff, and headed up to the top deck to watch the ship sail from Castaway Cay.

First, a quick look out our porthole at the island:

DCL2013294_zps397ab8c6.jpg

Sheez!  Can you believe it?  There's that giant fake palm tree photobombing another photo.  It's all the way over on the right.

As I was gazing out the porthole, a boat zoomed by:

DCL2013296_zps9eba05bb.jpg

What's that boat, and where is it going?  We are going to sail in about 15 minutes.

Take a closer look:

crewboat_zps323ec736.jpg

Can you read those words on the front?

It's a crew boat.

A lot of the Castaway Cay workers come from neighboring islands.  They commute to work when the ships are in.  I am not sure where these neighboring islands are, because you can't see them from Castaway Cay, or even from up high on the ship.

One last look out the porthole, then we're heading up top:

DCL2013298_zpsaad9a6f3.jpg

There's an adult only bar on the deck overlooking the adult pool.  Mrs. TCD and I thought it would be nice to grab a drink and watch us glide away from the island.  This is the view from the bar.  Not bad:

DCL2013300_zps263534dd.jpg

Remember all those clouds that were blowing in right before we left the beach? They produced not a single drop of rain, and they are gone:

DCL2013301_zpsc8b33762.jpg

The bar wasn't busy.  But they assigned the slowest bartender in the world to work this bar.  I am not even kidding.  She was slow.  After a few minutes of waiting for the bartender to make two drinks, I sent Mrs. TCD over to claim us a table, and I said I would bring the drinks over:

DCL2013302_zpsf6cb7929.jpg

As I continued to wait, the ship's horn sounded.  I love that.  Always a magical moment.  But not so much this time.  There were two bratty loudmouthed teens siting with their drunk parents at the table right next to the bar.  They couldn't have been more than 15 years old.  This is one of the few adult areas on the ship.  But, there they were.  With their parents.  When the horn sounded, one of the teens screamed Holy s-word!  Only she said the s-bomb.  The other teen thought that was hilarious, as did the drunk parents, and cackling and giggling ensued.  Charming.  Here they are:

DCL2013303_zps8eee5d4e.jpg

The thing is, all of this noise and disturbance is happening right in front of the slow bartender.  But there the loud screaming teens sat. Screaming.  Nobody did a thing.

Oh well, I've been around loud screaming teen girls for the last 11 or so years of my life.  It didn't faze me.  But, still.  Anyway, they're on vacation.  They can do what they want.  They're the only ones who matter.  Rules schmules.  That's what I say.

The horn sounded because the ship was moving.  I was supposed to be sitting over there watching this with Mrs. TCD.  And I would have been there, but for the world's slowest bartender.

So, I had to take this photo of us leaving from the bar:

DCL2013305_zps12160952.jpg

Finally, I got my Bahama Mama, and joined Mrs. TCD, to watch the island fade away.  This is the view from our seats:

DCL2013306_zps45bb7d50.jpg

The ship moved pretty quick, and the island faded pretty fast:

DCL2013308_zps281f791d.jpg

The skies were nice and blue off the port side across the ship:

DCL2013309_zps07f5b7ce.jpg

Three last photos of Castaway Cay as we sailed off:

DCL2013310_zpsf9c1dee0.jpg

DCL2013311_zpsad6bace0.jpg

DCL2013312_zpsf1e780a0.jpg

And that's the last we saw of the island this trip.

I hope that I'll be back.

Sooner rather than later.

So, now the evening approached.

Did I mention that it was pirate night?

Well, it is.

That means a lot will be going on.

And we were just getting ready to get started.

TCD

DCL2013296_zps9eba05bb.jpg

What's that boat, and where is it going? We are going to sail in about 15 minutes.

Take a closer look:

crewboat_zps323ec736.jpg

Can you read those words on the front?

It's a crew boat.

A lot of the Castaway Cay workers come from neighboring islands. They commute to work when the ships are in. I am not sure where these neighboring islands are, because you can't see them from Castaway Cay, or even from up high on the ship.

If you take the "Castaway Cay " tour (which is so, so) or rent a Sea-Doo, you will go far enough out to see Little Abaco which is occupied. There is a large sand bar that the "Sea Doo" riders stop at. They are physically standing in the middle of the water next to their "Sea Doos"

The ship moved pretty quick, and the island faded pretty fast:

DCL2013308_zps281f791d.jpg

BOO!!!!

TCD

We had an Air Force pilot who was with our Squadron ( pilot exchange program) who "loved" carrier landings. He was upset when his tour with us was over.

I am sure if he had the chance he would have loved it!

His career took him to Bosnia, shot a MIG down and later he flew the F-22.

He enjoyed his time flying in the AF.

At times my teenage son might drive me crazy, but he has never been loud and obnoxious in public. In fact he tends to avoid hanging out with teens who act that way.

I am fine with parents who want to drink. Even in front of their kids. Heck we do it. But that does not mean that you cease to be a parent when you are imbibing. Too many parents these days seem to want to be best buds with their teenagers instead of parents.

No reason at all you should have had to deal with the screaming teens.

Is that a roll of duct tape on the seat behind the rude girl in pink?  What the heck would THAT be for??  ???

Looks like there is some sort of "foot brace" sitting next to the other girl.  Maybe she had plastic bag around it  to keep it dry and used the tape to close the bag.   ????

But apparently TCD should have used it on their mouths. :rofl3: