What Goes Around...

Went on a quick trip this weekend to the Fort.  We've been going there on and off since 1977 when we did a road trip from NY to FL.  That was in a van that we made into a mini camper.

We liked FL so much we moved to Tampa in 78.

Since then we have gone to the Fort in the van, tent, small pop up, then for the last few years we have rented the cabins.

Well a week ago we became the propud owners of a 10x14 Coleman quick set up tent, and my wife decided we were going to christen it by taking my 2 granddaughters to the Fort.

She called for reservations last Monday 8/12 trying to get Friday and Saturday nights and was told there were no sites available (started asking for partial, then full , then preferred) but no luck.

She then called back Wednesday afternoon and tried for Saturday on a partial site and was told they had openings for both Friday and Saturday.  She asked if we could get the 1500 and was told if they could accomodate us they would and we would find out on check in.  Asking the agent why there were now openings, she got the standard, maybe people cancelled...

So the marathon packing began, trying to figure out what 2 adults and 2 grand daughters (8 and 4) would need for a fun filled weekend, and still be able to fit everything into a mid sized (Durango) SUV.

By the time we were done, the Clampetts didn't didn't have anything on us.  Let's just say my outside mirrors got used a lot.

Got to the Fort about 3:45, pulled into the check in lane surrounded by RV's that blocked out what little sun was shining.  We were told that our site wasn't available? which was odd because we hadn't been given a site #.  They bumped us up to a full site in the 1800 loop which was fine because it was fairly close to the Meadow.  The agent told us if they sand pad wasn't big enough to let them know and they would move us.

It was a good site, close to the comfort station, loop was small enough to allow the 8 year old to ride her scooter around with out us trailing her.  Even with the rain it turned out to be a great time.

We took a walk around the loop Saturday, and noticed about 11 or 12 empty lots (out of 32).  One of the Disney employees told my wife they were only at 23% capacity, but I think he meant they were 23% empty.  Armed with that knowledge, Saturday evening I called the front desk to see if we could get a late check out.  e were hoping to let everything get dried out before packing.  I was told it came back as pending and to call again Sunday morning.  Called around 8:30, and was told that the request was denied, but that we could park outside and come back in.  I was really shocked that we couldn't get the late check out with all of the vacancies.

I took a drive thru the 1500 loop when I left, and that was probably about 50% vacant, of course some people had probably already left.

All in all it was a great weekend, and both of the girls were sad to leave and wanted to know when we could go again.

My wife and I just need to go thru the things we forgot (really nothing) and the things we gon't need.

I need to get better at hanging a tarp up over the tent.  We stayed dry, but I could've done better.

Wow, your very first post is a trip report!

I like your style!

Welcome!

I gave up trying to make sense of how they handle reservations at Fort Wilderness a long time ago.  They constantly do things that make no sense.  That free upgrade was sweet, though.

Glad that you had a great time.

Did you hook up an air conditioner for the tent?

TCD

No A/C, but enough rain to cool it down. 

Friday night we had a pretty intense storm after lights out.  It helped knock down the humidity. 

Saturday night was acceptable also.  It rained earlier.

Maybe we lucked out with our tent purchase.  The front part is almost like a screen room, large flaps that zip open into screens.  Wife and I slept in that area.  I put a tarp up over the entire tent, so that allowed us to sleep with the flaps open, no rain got in.

I wouldn't mind a small fan just to circulate the air around.

I was just surprised about the checkout.  We've always gotten late checkouts when we stayed at the cabins, and they seem a lot more labor intensive to prep for the new customer.  Campsite is blow the sand off the slab, hose it down, and maybe rake the sand pit.  Takes maybe 20 minutes?

All in all it was a great time.  Just need to get a little better organized.  Each trip will be a learning experience.

No A/C, but enough rain to cool it down. 

Friday night we had a pretty intense storm after lights out.  It helped knock down the humidity. 

Saturday night was acceptable also.  It rained earlier.

Maybe we lucked out with our tent purchase.  The front part is almost like a screen room, large flaps that zip open into screens.  Wife and I slept in that area.  I put a tarp up over the entire tent, so that allowed us to sleep with the flaps open, no rain got in.

I wouldn't mind a small fan just to circulate the air around.

I was just surprised about the checkout.  We've always gotten late checkouts when we stayed at the cabins, and they seem a lot more labor intensive to prep for the new customer.  Campsite is blow the sand off the slab, hose it down, and maybe rake the sand pit.  Takes maybe 20 minutes?

All in all it was a great time.  Just need to get a little better organized.  Each trip will be a learning experience.

So, you camped in a tent at the Fort in mid-August without air conditioning or a fan.  There are many who say that can't be done.  Good job proving them wrong. I would at least want a fan.

At the Fort, whether or not you can have late check out doesn't seem to have any correlation with how busy the Fort is.  I think when it's slow, they have just enough site cleaners to get the job done.  They want the sites clean and those employees off the clock ASAP.  Accommodating a guest with late check out interferes with their ability to penny pinch.  So, out you go, even though your site will sit empty that night.

TCD

Another possible reason is that the SOB idiot manager, that is responsible for the sites, which btw is not the "Front Office" manager, couldn't care less about exceeding guests expectations. He is one miserable manager. His name is Sam Gates.

I've emailed him several times to ask a Fort related question and he has never responded. On the hand I've emailed his boss, Doug Lord, the WL and FW GM, and he has responded.

Another possible reason is that the SOB idiot manager, that is responsible for the sites, which btw is not the "Front Office" manager, couldn't care less about exceeding guests expectations. He is one miserable manager. His name is Sam Gates.

I've emailed him several times to ask a Fort related question and he has never responded. On the hand I've emailed his boss, Doug Lord, the WL and FW GM, and he has responded.

Well, Sam does a fabulous job never exceeding my expectations.  So, if that's what he's aiming for, then he's doing a great job.

The sad thing- what would it cost to let a guest have late check out when the site is going to sit empty that night anyway?

TCD

The sad thing- what would it cost to let a guest have late check out when the site is going to sit empty that night anyway?

Do we know if they ever give late checkouts?

If they don't, then it must be Sam's policy. Get em out, and clean the site whether they'll need it or not.

He is the "ONLY" CM that I have run into at any Disney Resort that apparently flunked "Customer Service School" . He is arrogance personified. I really don't, oh yes I do, know how he is in the position he is in.

I do know for a fact that they only clean sites on checkout day, and if they are empty for a few days, they DO NOT go back over them before someone occupies a site.

I've pulled into a few sites over the years that have obviously been empty for awhile cause they are covered in pine needles, pine cones and spanish moss.

I do know for a fact that they only clean sites on checkout day, and if they are empty for a few days, they DO NOT go back over them before someone occupies a site.

I've pulled into a few sites over the years that have obviously been empty for awhile cause they are covered in pine needles, pine cones and spanish moss.

That must depend on what loop/loops your on. Carlos made it a point to try and keep the empty sites clean almost daily in the 100/200 loop and I think he works 300/400 as well. I have even seen him clean one right before someone moved in.