What Disney foods do you try to recreate at home?

After seeing a post for the Hoop Dee Doo Revue corn bread recipe, my family (three generations) decided that we should have a Hoop Dee Doo dinner night. Here's what we did...

Oh I so respect that!!!  I am thoroughly impressed!

• 4 months later...

My wife does the Canadian Cheddar Cheese soup from Epcot, but she cheats since she has the recipe. She uses lowfat cheese for me, too.

I think you should come to the Easter GG at Gettysburg, and we will even let her make that soup!!!!!! I'll even bring the Moosehead beer for it, now if someone could make the pretzel bread. :smug:

I think you should come to the Easter GG at Gettysburg, and we will even let her make that soup!!!!!! I'll even bring the Moosehead beer for it, now if someone could make the pretzel bread.

Too bad, I really would like to go, but I have this rule about not crossing the Mason Dixon Line before April 20th.

• 4 weeks later...

They look great!  Would you share the recipe?

I followed this recipe. I found it by googling "disney carrot cake cookie recipe", so I can't guarantee it's identical to what you'll find at the happiest place on earth, but it seemed pretty close to me.

The next time I make them (whenever that is), I'd like to try to get better portion control of the batter. As you can sort of tell from the picture, I had some that were much bigger than others. Also, since I'm not exactly proficient in the kitchen I don't own a pastry/icing bag, so I just slapped the icing on and smoothed it with a knife. It wasn't pretty but it sure was tasty!

My husband makes the Canadian Beer Cheese Soup from Le Cellier all the time.  So good!

We've done Potato Leek Soup similar to the Biergarten at Epcot. 

One of my favorite sandwiches was from the Polynesian's Captin Cook's Snack Co.  Not sure if they still have it on the menu, but I'm happy that I tried it and can recreate it at home.  It was a grilled chicken breast, topped with bacon, swiss cheese and pineapple on a Hawaiian sweet roll.  Sooooo good!  

We tried making the Strawberry Vinaigrette from Liberty Tree Tavern, but it didn't turn out all that good. 

I really wish I could find a recipe similar to the creamed corn spoon bread at Hollywood & Vine. I've tried several different recipes and can't quite recreate the amazingness (I'm gong to pretend that it's a word) of their spoon bread.  

• 2 weeks later...

I followed this recipe. I found it by googling "disney carrot cake cookie recipe", so I can't guarantee it's identical to what you'll find at the happiest place on earth, but it seemed pretty close to me.

The next time I make them (whenever that is), I'd like to try to get better portion control of the batter. As you can sort of tell from the picture, I had some that were much bigger than others. Also, since I'm not exactly proficient in the kitchen I don't own a pastry/icing bag, so I just slapped the icing on and smoothed it with a knife. It wasn't pretty but it sure was tasty!

Thank you, it looks delicious!!

Thank you, it looks delicious!!

I just made them again yesterday. This time for measuring the batter I did use a little coffee/protein powder scoop that was labeled as 47 cc (a little less than 1/4 cup) and the resulting cookie was about 3.5" diameter and that gave me 10 completed cookies. I cooked them for 15 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday my Mom and I took a stab at making school bread.  :dance:

We used this recipe from the Disney Food Blog.

If you read the recipe you'll notice that it uses an interesting collection of units of measurement... Water is in pints, flour is in pounds, and so on. This becomes important for later on...

We started off by getting out the stand mixer and kitchen scale and weighing our dry ingredients. 3.5 ounces of sugar and 2 lbs of flour got put into the bowl for the stand mixer along with 1 teaspoon of cardamom.

In a glass 2 cup measuring cup, we also had 2 cups of water at 95° and 2.5 ounces of butter (melted), along with 3 ounces of yeast. We let that sit for a bit so the yeast could do its thing. We added the liquid to the dry ingredients, added an egg and then started the mixer.

The ingredients mixed, but the dough was clearly too dry. A quick Google search revealed that 2 pints of water is 4 cups, but we'd only added 2 cups. No problem! Easily remedied! We added 2 more cups of water, turned the mixer back on and... were then wearing soupy dough that went flying everywhere! it was rather like an episode of "I Love Lucy". Fortunately we found this hilarious and then just kept slowly adding in more flour until our dough was a more dough-like and less soup-like consistency.

The next step was to take the dough and let it rise in a covered bowl for 45 minutes.

Here's our dough.

n2i89Upl.jpg

We should have known at this point that the bowl really wasn't big enough, and sure enough it wasn't long before the dough escaped and made a run for it. (Also to much hilarity.)

QDBGurVl.jpg

No matter! It just made for more giggles.

While the dough was rising/escaping, we made the custard. Nothing too eventful here fortunately!

After the 45 minutes for the dough, you're supposed to roll it out like a sausage and cut them into 5 ounce pieces. We skipped the sausage part and went straight to cutting the 5 ounce balls. By this point it was starting to look like this wouldn't be a total failure and we might actually have something edible at the end of it all.

Here are the 5 ounce buns sitting on parchment paper and about to start their next 30 minute rise.

pEPel4Sl.jpg

We ended up with 14 in total. They cook at 375° for 15 minutes and that gave us this:

ZgG7gp5l.jpg

At this point we took a break and went for a pedicure with my sister for her birthday.

When we came back, it was final assembly time.

We got a small bowl of sweetened shredded coconut, and another bowl for icing (just icing sugar, water, and a bit of vanilla).

You use your finger and poke a hole in the bun, which is where the custard will go.

We dipped the bun in the icing, then into the coconut.

When we went to put the custard into the piping bag, this was the point at which we discovered the custard was really too runny and wasn't going to work. (But we still tried doing a couple anyway.) So we made up a little more cornstarch & water and added it to the custard and just microwaved it. It thickened up some more, which was a definite improvement.

Here are some buns with just holes, and some that have had the icing and coconut put on, pre-custard.

noIEMXEl.jpg

They didn't turn out as pretty as the ones you get in Norway, but we had a great time and a good laugh making them!

Azl8l5yl.jpg

tebK4Qil.jpg

TtEjQw8l.jpg

If we make them again, my Mom says she wants to make them smaller but I think she's crazy! We didn't toast the coconut, so we'll probably do that the next time too.

The only other problem is that after we ate 3 of them, we still had 11 left. Mom sent me home with 7, and my husband and I split one last night, and then another one today. They don't seem to keep very well. I'll try freezing a couple and see how they do after they've thawed.

One final thing is that after we'd finished, I went back and read the comments posted on the original recipe... And someone mentioned specifically that 2 pints of water was too much! Wish I'd read that sooner, but then we wouldn't have had our "I Love Lucy" moment.  :rofl2:

• 1 month later...