New to the Fort, new to here, need help

As the title says, I am pretty much new all around. After searching, this seems like the best place to get information to start planning my family's Disney trip. We have had a travel trailer for about 5 months and love to camp. Our last trip to Disney was in April '11 for our children's birthdays, stated at Kidani Village, and we loved that (can't afford another one of those). Now we have decided to put the two together and camp at Ft. Wilderness and take the kids to Disney again for their birthdays.

Here are some of the details:

Staying For 7 nights in late April

Jayco 26BH (no slides, but we like space)

Wife, 9 yr old daughter, 6 yr old son, myself

Driving from north MS, plan to leave one day, arriving the next. Same thing on the way home, making it a two day trip.

Plan to spend days at the parks, with late afternoons and evenings at the camp site

We will be bringing bikes

Have reserved a premium site

I know there are loop questions all over and just as many opinions based off of plans. As I said, we will be in the parks during the day. I was thinking the 500 loop looked like a good trade off between the marina and the main pool. Is this true? We will not have our 100lb golden retriever with us, but pets being around will not be a problem. I only plan to use Disney transportation to MK, all other parks I will probably drive to. We love to ride our bikes, so we won't mind riding them where we have to go, just don't want it to be too far. Are there sufficient bike racks at the stops and pools? I will be planning to lock them up. I know that this is a rambling paragraph, it really just boils down to "Please help me choose a loop(s) to put on request". Oh yeah, I love shade and really don't want to park in a very open area.

We are planning on going to the Hoop Dee Doo review that first Sunday night when we arrive. Hoping to arrive around check in time, explore the site, then on to dinner. Is this a good thing?

I still haven't decided on my driving route (I've still got some time), but am looking at two options:

1) Hwy 78 to B'ham, I-65 to Montgomery, Highways down to Dothan, I-10 to I-75

2) Hwy 78 to B'ham, I-20 to Atlanta, I-75 all the way down

Who has done these routes and which would you suggest? Map searches show time about equal, but option 1 being about 30 miles shorter. I was thinking about camping about 3-4 hours out of Disney. Along I-10 this put me at about Suwannee River State Park in Live Oak, FL. Along I-75 it put me around Reed Bingham State park in Adel, GA. As I said, we have only been camping for a few months and never had to stop on the way to the camp site so this will be new (I don't plan any long distance trips between now and then). We have never stayed at anything that was not a state park or COE park, I dont even know how to find them ahead of a trip. I don't care if there are activities or things to see, just safe and clean. We will be arriving late in the afternoon and leaving first thing in the morning.

Is that enough for a new guy "please help" first post? I will ask more as the days tick on and I think of them. Thanks for you help. We are really looking forward to our trip, already talking of making it a family tradition even before our first one.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are they crappies?  :rofl2:

First of all :-gif.gif

I know many like 500 because of it's location and since you have bikes it would be central. Carol should chime in soon about the routing since she is in Huntsville and probably has tried all of them

The Hoop-Dee-Doo would be good any night in my opinion and going on your first night opens the rest of them up for other adventures.

First of all WELCOME! I don't think you will be unhappy in any loop you find yourself in. 600 is my personal favorite but you want shade and that may not work for you. There are plenty of bike racks and loads of places to ride your bikes. You can even take the bike path over to Wilderness Lodge.

Sounds like you have a good plan and I hope you enjoy your trip!

I can help with a couple of your topics. 

The 500 loop is indeed a great location between the marina and the pool (Meadows) areas.  We also love riding our bikes at the Fort, and there are nice sidewalks/trails to ride on.  There are racks at the Settlement, the Meadows and the Outpost areas to lock them up.  I certainly suggest locking them.  While theft at the Fort is not common, it's not unheard of for bikes to "walk away". 

Some other good loops that might fit your criteria are 800 and 900.  Both are pretty shady and in a good location convenient to the locations you want. 

Certainly taking the boat to the MK is the best option.  That is magical all in itself.  We actually like the buses to the other parks, but driving is usually faster. 

Also, make sure you catch the fireworks and the Electric Water Parade at the beach in the evening.

Regarding the route....we come down from Middle TN.  About half the time, I take 65 south to Montgomery, then 231 through Dothan to I-10.  That is a very good route.  If you decide on that route, there is a way to "bypass" Dothan and avoid what tends to be surprisingly bad traffic there.  Let us know if that's your planned route and we can help further.   

As the title says, I am pretty much new all around. After searching, this seems like the best place to get information to start planning my family's Disney trip. We have had a travel trailer for about 5 months and love to camp. Our last trip to Disney was in April '11 for our children's birthdays, stated at Kidani Village, and we loved that (can't afford another one of those). Now we have decided to put the two together and camp at Ft. Wilderness and take the kids to Disney again for their birthdays.

Here are some of the details:

Staying April 27, 2014 - May 4

Jayco 26BH (no slides, but we like space)

Wife, 9 yr old daughter, 6 yr old son, myself

Driving from north MS, plan leave Saturday, arrive Sunday. Same thing on back end, leaving Sunday, arrive home Monday

Plan to spend days at the parks, with late afternoons and evenings at the camp site

We will be bringing bikes

Have reserved a premium site

I know there are loop questions all over and just as many opinions based off of plans. As I said, we will be in the parks during the day. I was thinking the 500 loop looked like a good trade off between the marina and the main pool. Is this true? That is a well placed loop. I like it. We will not have our 100lb golden retriever with us, but pets being around will not be a problem. I only plan to use Disney transportation to MK, all other parks I will probably drive to. We love to ride our bikes, so we won't mind riding them where we have to go, just don't want it to be too far. Are there sufficient bike racks at the stops and pools? I will be planning to lock them up. You should not have trouble finding something to lock them to.  I know that this is a rambling paragraph, it really just boils down to "Please help me choose a loop(s) to put on request". Oh yeah, I love shade and really don't want to park in a very open area. It's generally partially shady...some more some less

We are planning on going to the Hoop Dee Doo review that first Sunday night when we arrive. Hoping to arrive around check in time, explore the site, then on to dinner. Is this a good thing? Sounds like a plan

I still haven't decided on my driving route (I've still got some time), but am looking at two options:

1) Hwy 78 to B'ham, I-65 to Montgomery, Highways down to Dothan, I-10 to I-75

2) Hwy 78 to B'ham, I-20 to Atlanta, I-75 all the way down

Who has done these routes and which would you suggest? Map searches show time about equal, but option 1 being about 30 miles shorter. I was thinking about camping about 3-4 hours out of Disney. Along I-10 this put me at about Suwannee River State Park in Live Oak, FL. Along I-75 it put me around Reed Bingham State park in Adel, GA. As I said, we have only been camping for a few months and never had to stop on the way to the camp site so this will be new (I don't plan any long distance trips between now and then). We have never stayed at anything that was not a state park or COE park, I dont even know how to find them ahead of a trip. I don't care if there are activities or things to see, just safe and clean. We will be arriving late in the afternoon and leaving first thing in the morning.

We live in NE AL. The ATL route is shorter, but a lot more traffic and worse road conditions in places. We go south on 59 to 65 to Montgomery. Go north on 85 to the Taylor Road exit, Take Taylor Road to 231 south. 231 to I10. I10 from below Dothan to I75 is very nice. We boondock in a parking lot on the way since we are fully self contained. Dothan to Orlando isn't a bad drive if you want to stop around there.

Is that enough for a new guy "please help" first post? I will ask more as the days tick on and I think of them. Thanks for you help. We are really looking forward to our trip, already talking of making it a family tradition even before our first one.

The only part of your post I can help you with is the overnight stay in northern Florida.  We stay at Kelly's RV Park in White Springs.  It is about four hours to the Fort from here.  It is a pretty nice park, but most of all it is safe and the owners are quite accommodating.  We do the same thing you do - pull in late afternoon and leave the next morning.  Each time we have been assigned a space directly across from the showers, restrooms, and fire ring.  Good luck!

Thanks for the quick replies. I have read good things on the 500, 800, and 900 loops and their locations. Are the sites on the outer part of the loops better than the inner sites? I read this in the "unofficial guide" book and was just wondering. Is this because the inner sites can back up to each other? Are the sites that are near the CSs to be avoided?

I am familiar with the I-65 to 231 route, will be driving that way in November to head to Apalachicola and have driven it in the past several times. That is the way I am leaning right now. I know there is more highway driving and through some towns, but I don't really care for driving through Atlanta (originally from a 1.5 hours west of there in AL).

Welcome!  Glad to have a North Mississippian on the boards - I am originally from Corinth.  We are now in middle Georgia.  We travel back and forth a good bit.  Traffic can be a bear on I 20.  I 75 has its own fun just south of Atlanta and south of Macon going through Cordele.  The I 65 route may be your best bet. 

Welcome.

You are in the right place for complete and accurate information about the Fort.

You've gotten some great advice on your driving route.

As for your loop choice, the 500 loop is a great choice.  But, with children the ages of yours, I join brother Bob with suggesting the 1400 loop.  That will put you close to the pool and all the planned activities that go on every day, as well as the campfire area.  The marina is an easy bike ride from there.  If you want to stick with 500, that's fine too.

I also suggest that you save the Hoop Dee Doo Revue for a night later in your trip.  Y'all might be too tired to fully enjoy it on your arrival day.  On the other hand, it would be a great way to kick-off the trip.

You've got the hard part done- you have your site reserved.  The rest will come easy.  No need to over plan.

TCD

As for your loop choice, the 500 loop is a great choice.  But, with children the ages of yours, I join brother Bob with suggesting the 1400 loop.  That will put you close to the pool and all the planned activities that go on every day, as well as the campfire area.  The marina is an easy bike ride from there.  If you want to stick with 500, that's fine too.

I also suggest that you save the Hoop Dee Doo Revue for a night later in your trip.  Y'all might be too tired to fully enjoy it on your arrival day.  On the other hand, it would be a great way to kick-off the trip.

TCD

Thanks for the loop advice, the 1400 looks great for the campfire (which we plan for most nights) and for the pool. Is it possible to walk from here to the marina? Just thinking of different transportation options.

As for the revue on the first day, I plan on making only about a 3-4 hour drive that day, arriving right around check in. I was just figuring that we would be less tired that day than on a park filled day. When we were at the MK in 2011, we did cinderella's table for my daughters b'day. After a full day there, then changing for the dinner, then dinner, it made for a long (and hot) day. I was going to have the revue kick off our trip as you said.

The only part of your post I can help you with is the overnight stay in northern Florida.  We stay at Kelly's RV Park in White Springs.  It is about four hours to the Fort from here.  It is a pretty nice park, but most of all it is safe and the owners are quite accommodating.  We do the same thing you do - pull in late afternoon and leave the next morning.  Each time we have been assigned a space directly across from the showers, restrooms, and fire ring.  Good luck!

I looked up Kelly's, thanks for that info. Even though a little out of the way if we come I-10 (maybe 10 miles), it might be an easier option than the state park. I am going to try to call them today. I hope to not even have to disconnect the truck so a large site would be nice.

I am one to drive through Atlanta, then straight down I-75 as long as you go through there after 7pm or between 2 and 3pm. I go straight through downtown, rarely any issues.

I usually stop at a commercial campground right on the highway. Easy in, Easy out, usually pull through sites. There is a KOA in Forsyth just south of Atlanta that I like, and another campground at Exit 5 in South Georgia that I like (the name escapes me at the moment).

Thanks for the loop advice, the 1400 looks great for the campfire (which we plan for most nights) and for the pool. Is it possible to walk from here to the marina? Just thinking of different transportation options.

As for the revue on the first day, I plan on making only about a 3-4 hour drive that day, arriving right around check in. I was just figuring that we would be less tired that day than on a park filled day. When we were at the MK in 2011, we did cinderella's table for my daughters b'day. After a full day there, then changing for the dinner, then dinner, it made for a long (and hot) day. I was going to have the revue kick off our trip as you said.

If you're planning to hit the campfire every night- then stay on 1400.  You can walk there instead of taking the bikes, and then you're not going to be riding bikes back to your site in the dark.  Also, there are planned activities for kids every day that take place at the pool or around the Bike Barn, which is right next door to the 1400 loop.

The 1400 loop is more of a walk to the marina than it would be from 500, but sure, you can walk.  The total walking distance from one end of the Fort to the other is only about 1.2 miles.  From 1400 to the marina, you're talking about a half mile tops. Also, the internal bus system works fine, and the 1400 loop is on the Yellow route, which is the quickest, in my opinion.  If you want to impress your family with your Fort knowledge, catch the Yellow Settlement bus from the 1400 loop bus stop, and stay on it when you get to the Settlement.  It will continue on to the Wilderness Lodge.  It will remind you of AKL, and it's worth a look.  They have a great quick serve restaurant there, so it's a good place to grab a quick meal on your way to a park.  You can take Disney transportation from there to your next destination.

I didn't think about you having a relatively short drive on your arrival day- so I agree with your decision to go to the HDDR on the first night- that is a great way to start the trip.

TCD

Welcome!!

OK, I am not as much of a veteran at FW as some here , but here is my advise.  YMMV.

I love your plan of arrive around check-in, set-up, relax, and then go to Hoop-De-Do.  The next morning, I would ride the boat to Magic Kingdom.  For me, that boat ride is magical and nothing says WDW like MK.  I would not ride your bikes that first day to the marina.  I would think you will all be tired when you come back from MK, even if you come back early afternoon.  You can catch the bus from the Marina to your loop. 

It sounds like a great trip!

I will chime in and say the 900 loop is our favorite.  It's a quick walk across the street to the Pool, Campfire, Trading Post (though not as close as 1400 and has a comfort station that isn't shared with other loops.  It also has bus stop at the entrance.  However, everyone has a loop preference so go with what you think fits you the best.

I will chime in and say the 900 loop is our favorite.  It's a quick walk across the street to the Pool, Campfire, Trading Post (though not as close as 1400 and has a comfort station that isn't shared with other loops.  It also has bus stop at the entrance.  However, everyone has a loop preference so go with what you think fits you the best.

I like the 900 loop too.  It's my favorite premium loop now that my kids are grown.  However, it does share a comfort station with the 1000 loop.  It's a bit further from the pool than 1400, and it is on the Orange bus route, which is longer and slower than the Yellow route.  For a family with kids who will be visiting the pool and campfire a lot, the 1400 loop is a better choice.

TCD

We stayed in the 900 Loop this past June.  The walk was not bad up to the Settlement.  We forgot to put down the sides on our cart a few times and the rain came a lot.  It was easier to walk to the Settlement than trying to find enough dry towels to dry off the cart.  That and there was no roof over the back seats.  Kids did not want to sit under the plastic sides.  LOL  The walk to Meadows is easy peasy.  Went there lots to refill our mugs.

TCD, what sites do you like best on the 900?

The nice thing about 900 is that there isn't a bad site on the loop.

We were in 901 once, first site on the loop.  I thought I wouldn't like it because of traffic, but it was fine.  Loved being that close to the comfort station and Meadow Trading Post.

We also have been on 904.  Great site- huge pad.

Then we had 907.  A little too close to 909- but a great backyard.

I loved 912 when we stayed on that site. 

I like all the outside sites on the loop.  We were assigned to 932 once, but I asked to be moved since it is just steps from the comfort station.  But, I know that Carol stayed in that site and loved it.  I think it would have been fine for us too.

TCD