• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two pics from Fantasyland this morning. The first is on the bridge leading to the new restaurant (not yet open but you can peak inside) and the second is from the Arielle clamshell ride.

The next batch of attractions is scheduled to open by the end of the year. They are the princess laden "Enchanted Forest", which will include the "Under the Sea, Voyage of the Little Mermaid" ride

And that's the way it should stay!!!

• 2 weeks later...

More from Inside the Magic. Follow the link at the end for a video that includes a pretty in-depth interview with Chris Beatty.

Construction tour of New Fantasyland with Imagineer Chris Beatty, dishing new details on Walt Disney World expansion

by Ricky Brigante

Posted on April 26, 2012

fantasyland-construction.jpg

Walt Disney World is currently in the midst of the biggest-ever expansion of the Magic Kingdom theme park, doubling the size of Fantasyland in what’s being referred to as New Fantasyland. Though guests in the park can’t help but see the peaks of the new Beast’s Castle and The Little Mermaid ride peeking out over construction walls, the vast majority of the massive project remains hidden from public eyes - until today.

This morning, I had the opportunity to step through a door in one of those construction walls and marvel at the impressive vista that is New Fantasyland. Granted it’s currently filled with hard hat-wearing workers (I had to don one too - and a bright orange vest) as well as plenty of equipment and dust. But with the aid of concept art and Walt Disney Imagineer Chris Beatty leading the tour, I was able to visualize what’s to come. And it’s stunning.

Unfortunately I was not allowed to use a camera behind the wall. Fortunately, Disney has provided me with video of the area to accompany the descriptions and details Beatty shared. The video below features a combination of concept artwork, Disney’s video, and Beatty’s narration virtually “walking” you through the area.

One of the most important design elements Beatty emphasized was that New Fantasyland is intended to be a place for guests to enjoy, even when they’re not riding a ride, seeing a show, or meeting a character. A forest of trees will be brought into the area and will bloom throughout the year, adding lots of shade and comfortable areas notably absent from the existing Fantasyland.

Long winding waterways will pass under accessible bridges and be fueled by water falls, 5 cascading down the facade of The Little Mermaid ride and one originating high atop the rocky mountains that surround Beast’s Castle, up to 30 feet high. These aesthetic elements are what will clearly mark New Fantasyland as a new generation of theme park lands, immersing guests in a relaxing environment that also features plenty of new attractions.

The centerpiece of New Fantasyland will be the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train coaster, still very much under construction, only showing recently-added steel beams. For those observing them in the park today, Beatty noted that grey beams mark the highest points of the terrain that will be built up for the new ride and brown beams are intended for the ride track itself. Ultimately, the metal will be hidden, leaving only a towering hillside with a runaway mine train twisting over its curves.

And this hillside will act as a curtain of sorts, preventing guests walking from Cinderella Castle from seeing Prince Eric’s Castle, the home of The Little Mermaid ride. It won’t be until crossing a bridge and rounding the corner past the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train that guests will first catch a glimpse of The Little Mermaid. I wasn’t allowed to walk that far into the area idea, but Beatty assured that the ride’s “grotto” queue is gorgeous inside.

To the left of all of the above-described items is the “Beauty and the Beast” themed area, future home of Gaston’s Tavern, Maurice’s Cottage - which will house an elaborate meet and greet with Belle - and Beast’s Castle, home to the Be Our Guest restaurant. Today’s tour unfortunately didn’t involve walking that far into the construction site, but Beatty once again said that it’s shaping up nicely inside. We’ll have to take his word for it for now.

And to link it all to the existing Fantasyland, new Cinderella Castle walls will enclose the “castle courtyard,” including the existing carousel. The side of these walls facing Cinderella Castle will match perfectly. Beatty said it will be “just like it was built day one with Cinderella’s Castle, like it’s always been here.” The reverse side, facing New Fantasyland, will feature a more weathered look to tie in with the forest theme there.

What struck me most when finally stepping behind those construction walls was the wide expanse of New Fantasyland, both horizontally and vertically. There are many levels to the new area, unlike the rest of the Magic Kingdom theme park which is largely flat. New Fantasyland features waterways underneath guests and rocky areas rising high above guests, with many different terrain levels in between. It’s going to be a very natural landscape that should prove to be both inviting and quite pleasing to the eye. And it’s certainly an expansion on a massive scale, unlike no other the park has ever seen.

Disney hasn’t yet revealed the dates on which various parts of New Fantasyland will open, though the timeline I was told at the 2011 D23 Expo does still seem to be holding up. It should all be completed by 2014. Until then, guests will continue to watch with wonder as Disney magic is worked behind those construction walls.

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2012/04/construction-tour-of-new-fantasyland-with-imagineer-chris-beatty-dishing-new-details-on-walt-disney-world-expansion/

Not Chris Beatty, who the heck is Chris Beatty?

Some random Imagineer?

They must have had some sort of press day recently and let some of the bigger fan site people in. So far I've found 2 of these videos that were very definitely NOT produced by Disney. The interesting thing is that Inside the Magic wasn't allowed to shoot any video footage, but apparently WDW Magic had free rein.

I don't know who WDW Magic is, but they definitely seem to have some connections (as well as a CM on staff - although I'd bet s/he's no Lou!).

Now if you all would just fund my move to WDW, *I* would make the sacrifice to be in the parks every day providing you with "on the scene" reports of all this great stuff myself, and schmoozing Imagineers for backstage access to cool stuff.

Get on that, will ya!?

:rofl2:

Over the weekend Disney confirmed the timeline for the remaining phases of the new Fantasyland Expansion project:

July 2012

Second phase of Storybook Circus - including 2nd Dumbo, indoor queue (under the big tent) and Casey Jr. Splash 'n Soak Station

Late 2012 (in time for the holiday season - no firm date yet)

Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid

Ariel's Grotto

Enchanted Tales with Belle

Be Our Guest Restaurant

Gaston's Tavern

2014 (no date yet)

Seven Dwarves Mine Train

From WDW Magic...

VIDEO - Take a look inside the stunning ballroom of the 'Be Our Guest Restaurant'

Apr 27, 2012

Here is a first look inside the stunning ballroom in the "Be Our Guest Restaurant", part of the new Fantasyland opening by the holidays of 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8t_9l9cn_A

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions/Fantasyland/News/27Apr2012-VIDEO---Take-a-look-inside-the-stunning-ballroom-of-the-%27Be-Our-Guest-Restaurant%27.htm

From DaMouse. Follow the link at the end for lots more photos...

New Fantasyland Expansion Construction Paces Towards Summer and Fall 2012 Phased Openings – Part 3 – Previewing The Castle Walls

Posted by Raphael De Varona on April 30, 2012

DSC08861.jpg

There are so many things to share in the New Fantasyland story and at Da Mouse we are trying to bring you those stories in fantastic and compelling ways. There are the blockbuster attractions such as the Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster with its swinging good times. A wonderfully simple and still brilliant dark ride at the Journey of the Little Mermaid. And those are just the start but we are talking up something entirely different in the last post in this series. The New Fantasyland Castle Walls are rising to all new heights and they are changing the look of Fantasyland’s skyline forever and we thought you might just like to see it. So join us after the break for Castle Walls, Gaston’s Tavern and more!

DSC08841-600x376.jpg

DSC08843-600x296.jpg DSC08845_2-600x344.jpg

DSC08845-600x449.jpg

DSC08847-537x500.jpg

DSC08848.jpg

• DSC08853-600x281.jpg

DSC08854-600x398.jpg DSC08856-600x300.jpg DSC08864-600x398.jpg

http://damouse.com/2012/04/30/new-fantasyland-expansion-construction-paces-towards-summer-and-fall-2012-phased-openings-part-3-previewing-the-castle-walls/

From the Disney Parks blog...

Imagineers Share How ‘Beauty & The Beast’ Inspired Elements of the Be Our Guest Restaurant at Magic Kingdom

posted on May 3rd, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

In our last blog post on the Be Our Guest Restaurant, many of you asked if the ballroom-themed dining room will feature the immense chandeliers that added so much romance to the dancing scene in the film.

We took the question to Walt Disney Imagineering, and their answer was a resounding – of course! In fact, they sent this sneak peek to share with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM76RC5b3nM

Here, Imagineers Chris Kelly and Tim Warzecha discuss the three chandeliers they recently installed. The largest measures more than 12-feet-tall by 11 ½-feet wide, features 84 candles and more than 100 large crystals.

By the way, the ballroom is just one of the wings the Be Our Guest Restaurant will feature. We can’t give all the info away yet, but another wing of the restaurant will be themed after the darkened West Wing of Beast’s Castle.

Which dining room would you choose?

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/05/imagineers-share-how-beauty-the-beast-inspired-elements-of-the-be-our-guest-restaurant-at-magic-kingdom/

Some constructions updates from MousePlanet...

• Magic Kingdom – Great Goofini (Barnstormer).
  • Magic Kingdom – Toontown barricades.
  • Magic Kingdom – Dumbo Ride Two.
  • Magic Kingdom – Dumbo Ride One.
  • Magic Kingdom – train station & area restrooms.
  • Magic Kingdom – Fantasyland Phase II site development - Dumbo area.
  • Magic Kingdom – Phase II - area development - Fantasyland expansion.
  • Magic Kingdom – Phase III - meet & greet tent.
  • Magic Kingdom – Phase III - merchandise tent.
  • Magic Kingdom – Phase III - cast support building.

http://www.mouseplanet.com/9962/Walt_Disney_World_Resort_Update

Excerpted from Da Mouse. Follow the links for lots more photos...

DSC09374-600x310.jpg It is incredible that just a few weeks ago, large parts of this rock work was just steel wire framing!

DSC09375-600x312.jpg The site of Ariel’s Grotto grows more beautiful by the day.

DSC09378-600x364.jpg On the top-left of this image you can see what appears to be the beginnings of more rock work near Beast’s Castle and behind Gaston’s Tavern in order to hide the remaining parts of the New Fantasyland building from sight.

DSC09382-600x226.jpg From every angle, this rock work is simply amazing.

http://damouse.com/2012/05/14/may-2012-new-fantasyland-construction-update-part-2-second-dumbo-spinner-installed-fantasyland-forest-expands-towards-be-our-guest-restaurant/

New Fantasyland has been an impressive project since its inception but seeing it come to life at the construction site is almost surreal. In the end the hard work and effort of so many people comes together for an incredibly immersive experience that we will all soon enjoy. Even now, with tons of work left to be done to complete the several phases of New Fantasyland, you can’t help but stand in awe of some of what has already been accomplished. Dumbo the Flying Elephant and the rest of Storybook Circus has reinvigorated an area of the Magic Kingdom that prior to the re-imagining always felt lacking. Prince Eric’s Castle and Beast’s Castle loom over the construction site and you can hear guests of all ages talking about them as they walk up towards the New Fantasyland construction walls. And of course the towering steel structure of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster stands over everything in the area causing a buzz of enthusiasm amongst everyone who sets their eyes upon the coaster. Sure, behind the construction walls lies an incomplete picture of the fantastic world Disney is creating for guests. But what we see is the beginning of the magic and it begins with the monumental efforts of Imagineering, construction crews and others who turn a mere idea into a reality that millions can then dream within. It is our hope that the dedication and passion we have shown for this project here on Da Mouse reflects well upon the hard work of those individuals who are creating timeless memories for generations to come. So join us after the break as we once again show you the incredible journey of bringing New Fantasyland to life and share with you some all-new-looks at Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster and more!

DSC09407-600x354.jpg Casey Jr. still awaits his debut…

DSC09408-510x500.jpg These monkeys are just great!

DSC09409-600x465.jpg This area will have a ton of character to go along with the H2O. DSC09414-600x440.jpg Tons to see in this image from the shipwreck on the rocks near Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid, to Gaston’s Tavern and even the wire mesh for more rock work that we mentioned in the previous posts in this series.

DSC09415-600x336.jpg Beast’s Castle is really starting to look impressive in its own right. Can’t wait to see how many more trees are going to fill this area… DSC09417-600x451.jpg

DSC09418-600x232.jpg This overview shot of Enchanted Tales with Belle shows off the Fantasyland forest…

http://damouse.com/2012/05/14/may-2012-new-fantasyland-construction-update-part-3-all-new-looks-at-under-the-sea-journey-of-the-little-mermaid-seven-dwarfs-mine-coaster-more/

DSC09458-600x356.jpg Prince Eric’s Castle Spires getting the stone look and you can already see how great the finished areas look.

http://damouse.com/2012/05/14/may-2012-new-fantasyland-construction-update-part-4-enchanted-tales-with-belle-castle-walls-more/

From WDW News Today. Follow the link for more photos...

The second Dumbo spinner is rapidly nearing completion

If I were a betting man… and I am…

I’d wager that the second spinner will be open by Memorial Day

dum6-L.jpg

The official opening is July, along with the interactive queue

The Casey Jr. Splash ‘N’ Soak Station looks nearly complete

fan7-L.jpg

We’re still not entirely sure if the center portion will spin at a slow speed like a roundhouse

es-L.jpg

A look at Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid

geh-L.jpg

More scaffolding finally went up on the detailed portion near Village Haus

fan3-L.jpg

This steel frame should be covered soon

fan9-L.jpg

This side is further along

fan4-L.jpg

Some walkway work being done near the Carousel as well

fan8-L.jpg

I had to stare at this for a while to realize what I was seeing… this is the view from the Haunted Mansion across the old Skyway site. I assume this will be addressed as construction moves forward.

http://wdwnewstoday.com/archives/9436

All in the Details: A Peek Inside Belle’s Library in New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park

posted on May 22nd, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Ask any Imagineer what makes a Disney Parks attraction special and they’ll say it’s the thoughtful attention to detail that really brings a Disney experience to life.

WDI just shared a stack of photos with us that showcase some of the special touches they’ve been adding to the New Fantasyland attractions that will debut later on in 2012 at Magic Kingdom Park. I’ll be sharing one of these new photos here on the Disney Parks Blog each Tuesday.

pbl289064b.jpg

This week’s photo shows the first glimpse of Belle’s dream library that’s a part of the new Enchanted Tales with Belle attraction.

pbl389064b.jpg

The room, which is surrounded by bookcases like this, will serve as the setting for a special meet-and-greet with Belle and her candlestick pal, Lumiere. What do you think?

Like I mentioned, we have a wide selection of photos from other parts of New Fantasyland, including Beast’s Castle, Enchanted Tales with Belle, Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid, Storybook Circus, and Be Our Guest Restaurant. Which area would you like to see next week?

Want to read more about New Fantasyland? Start with these recent posts:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/05/all-in-the-details-a-peek-inside-belles-library-in-new-fantasyland-at-magic-kingdom-park/

From the Disney Parks blog, some information on the upcoming Princess Fairytale Hall...

Snow White’s Scary Adventures Will Become Part of Magic Kingdom Park History May 31

posted on May 24th, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

sno118943SMALL.jpg

The New Fantasyland expansion is continuing, and work is about to begin on Princess Fairytale Hall, a royal meet-and-greet area that will replace the existing Snow White’s Scary Adventures attraction. Since our readers are some of the biggest Disney fans out there, we wanted to share that the attraction’s final day of operation will be May 31, to make way for this new character experience.

Located in the Castle Courtyard in the center of Fantasyland, Princess Fairytale Hall will be the new home for visiting royalty in the Magic Kingdom. The castle-like entrance will feature walls of stone and stained glass windows. The entrance will open into a large gallery – an airy space with a high ceiling and portraits of Disney Princesses. When it’s time for their audience with a princess, guests will proceed to an elegantly finished room to meet her. Princess Fairytale Hall is set to debut in late 2013.

dwa338921SMALL.jpg

Snow White’s story will play a big part in the area’s expansion with the debut of the new Seven Dwarfs Mine Train attraction in 2014. We previously shared details about this new attraction, in which guests can board mine train cars and take a sweeping voyage through the dwarfs’ glinting diamond mine. Walt Disney Imagineers are designing a unique ride system that allows each mine car to swing back and forth individually as the train twists and turns along the track. (Sneak peek below).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvLExG8CAQE

Until the mine train’s debut in 2014, fans can get their Snow White fix by meeting and greeting her (and other Disney princesses) at TownSquare Theater at the front of the park. She can also be seen in the Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade in the afternoon, and in the Main Street Electrical Parade after dark. (As usual, entertainment is always subject to change).

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/05/snow-whites-scary-adventures-will-become-part-of-magic-kingdom-park-history-may-31/

All In The Details: Introducing Prince Eric’s Castle at Magic Kingdom Park

posted on May 29th, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

We’re back this week with a few photos of another attraction that’s coming later this year to New Fantasyland. Last week, many of you asked for a glimpse into Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid, so here’s a sneak peek at the building that will house the attraction – Prince Eric’s castle!

pec689109.jpg

Starting at the top, this Mediterranean-style castle features a Spanish-tile roof and a regal “E” monogram – a nod to the castle’s royal resident.

pec896308.jpg

This castle’s towering balconies reflect a maritime touch with seaweed-themed support beams.

pec983615.jpg

And this photo is my favorite of the three. This is a shot of the ground level. The walls here feature hand-painted artwork that

depicts the history of man’s perilous journey on the sea.

So, which royal residence are you more excited to see for yourself when New Fantasyland opens – Beast’s castle or Prince Eric’s?

Thanks again to Walt Disney Imagineering for supplying these great photos!

For more New Fantasyland updates, see the posts below:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/05/all-in-the-details-introducing-prince-erics-castle-at-magic-kingdom-park/