Just called about making a reservation for December 6-8 and was told there were no open campsites at the Fort for any of the days. Is there something going on I don't know about or does the Fort fill up during the winter? We have been going round the same time every year and normally seems like a off time for the parks at least.

We want to see Whoopi at the candlelight processional .

As we have camped at the fort or years, I am no where near an expert on the tricks to get a site when they are booked. Most fiends will tell you to book a longer length of stay then cancel the days you don't want

Just called about making a reservation for December 6-8 and was told there were no open campsites at the Fort for any of the days. Is there something going on I don't know about or does the Fort fill up during the winter? We have been going round the same time every year and normally seems like a off time for the parks at least.

We want to see Whoopi at the candlelight processional .

December has been pretty tough. I have had to try and keeping trying to get it for clients.

Definitely try longer stays. Some times you can also pick up one day at a time.

If you want some assistance let me know.

Well, I have to admit - I have reservations from December 4 thru January 2.  In the next week or so I will cancel most of it (except the time we need).  Trying to juggle three families getting together forces me to make this kind of reservation.

Now, as others have said - look at longer time periods.  Several times in the past I have wanted a specific time period, lets say 4 days.  If I put in just those four days no luck - no available reservations.  If I add days (sometimes before my days, sometimes after my days and sometimes a couple on both sides) the days are available.  I have tried to understand Disney's reservation system but have had no luck figuring it out.

Well, I have to admit - I have reservations from December 4 thru January 2. In the next week or so I will cancel most of it (except the time we need). Trying to juggle three families getting together forces me to make this kind of reservation.

Now, as others have said - look at longer time periods. Several times in the past I have wanted a specific time period, lets say 4 days. If I put in just those four days no luck - no available reservations. If I add days (sometimes before my days, sometimes after my days and sometimes a couple on both sides) the days are available. I have tried to understand Disney's reservation system but have had no luck figuring it out.

I had a CM tell me that the fort was a tough one. Even hinted at minimum stay ressies, which is why you can often get three weeks but not three days

I have tried to understand Disney's reservation system but have had no luck figuring it out.

Same here.

Based on what I have seen and heard, I am convinced that the Fort management has made the decision to intentionally decrease occupancy.  It seems that they are intentionally not putting all of the available sites in the database for booking.

They have finally raised prices to the point that guests are going elsewhere.

It seems counterintuitive to me that a business would intentionally drive away business, but for some reason, this is what the geniuses who run the Fort are doing.

According to some information I heard this weekend, the Fort's bottom line was larger last year, even though occupancy was down. It looks like those in charge are taking that concept to the extreme as we finish 2013 and move in to 2014.

TCD

I can't figure out what they are doing either.

Last 2 times we went, we've had a hard time booking a partial site, only to get there, and the CM says they are only at 25-30% capacity!

Empty sites in all the loops, and then they tell you they can't accomodate a 2 hour late check out.

I know there are a limited # of partial sites, but you would think if those are full, and they have empty full hookup sites, they would try to fill them with people looking for a partial site and charge them the partial fee.

A booked site at a partial rate is better than an empty site with no income.

Are they deliberately making it difficult to book a site to add to the "Disney Mystique"?  You know, when something is hard to find/purchase, everyone wants it.

Or are they making such a profit on the sites they are booking, that they don't need to fill the place to break even?

That's what has made Priceline, Expedia, etc so successful.  The hotels would rather get some money on a rented room then nothing, as long as it covers the labor for the upkeep of the room and grounds.

Or are they making such a profit on the sites they are booking, that they don't need to fill the place to break even?

It is apparent that Disney intentionally limits bookings at certain resorts at certain times of the year.  They have rooms available, but for whatever reason, they make the decision to not rent them out.

With the campground, it may be that they make more of a profit off guests in the value resorts, so they dangle deals on those resorts in front of guests, and jack up the campground prices.  For most people, it's hard to justify paying $130+ a night for a concrete slab, hose and a couple of electric outlets, when they can stay in a resort with a private bath, maid service, AC, TV, etc, for less.

TCD

Disney definitely uses the reservation system to maximize profits at all the resorts.  I have tried to book a partial site for 1-2 days on the weekend and the only thing that shows up is a premium site or no sites. Try to book for 5 days over the same time and suddenly you can book all levels.  I have found Saturdays often become available on the Friday before for Premium Sites. Then when you get there, there seems to be plenty of sites of all categories available. I have asked the CMs at the reservation center to explain the system to me but they always tell me they don’t know why they just check the days you ask them to check and it either comes up or it doesn’t. I have had them try to get me to pay 3 or 4 days only to use 2 days. No thank you the rates are already more than I want to pay. I sure don’t want to pay double. They seem happy to lose a 1-2 day stay for the chance at a 5 day or more stay. I could understand (but still not like) these policies when the place is 85-90% full but they seem to do the same thing with occupancy levels below 50%.

Hello, it's the newbie again. I'm still feeling things out since I have never camped here before. Actually, have really only camped in Texas. But I belong to a pop up camping club and when we have to can't make a campout, we usually try to give/ sell our site one of the other members before we cancel the reservation. We simply put the site in that person's name. Do you know if Disney allows that?

No Disney will not let you sell or trade site reservations.  The person who made the reservation must be present with Photo ID at check in time.  I do know that there are some companies that rent camper packages that include site rental and I don't know how they get around that policy.   Disney does not want people to be able to book up prime time slots and then sell them at a profit.  I have called and told them I want to cancel my reservation and for it to go to a friend and they say there is no way to be sure that they can get your cancelation.

Actually, you "can" kindof do that...... You just add the folks names to your reservation, have them pay you whatever deposit you've already paid, and then they are responsible for the rest, they won't be primary, but they can still pay for the remainder at check-in. It is much easier at the Fort since they allow 10 on a site. There will still be a key card sitting there with your name on it, but oh well.  Also, if they want their guests to have charging privileges, the names must be added before check-in. Anyone added after check-in cannot get charging privileges.

This is much easier with a "room only" reservation. If a package with tickets is involved, hard to do.

Harold- what Carol described in her post is how I understand the camper rental folks are able to come in the Fort with their campers and deliver them to the site for guests.  The guest renting the camper adds the camper rental person to his or her reservation.

Also, I have heard that travel agents are able to make and hold "dummy" reservations which they are able to offer to their future clients.  I have heard tales of some that hold hundreds of reservations for holiday periods.  There's a rumor flying around the Fort now that this practice is why it's currently impossible to get a reservation during the upcoming Christmas holidays at the Fort.  I am sure this does not sit well with Disney, but supposedly it is happening.

TCD

Also, I have heard that travel agents are able to make and hold "dummy" reservations which they are able to offer to their future clients.  I have heard tales of some that hold hundreds of reservations for holiday periods.  There's a rumor flying around the Fort now that this practice is why it's currently impossible to get a reservation during the upcoming Christmas holidays at the Fort.  I am sure this does not sit well with Disney, but supposedly it is happening.

TCD

While i can't say this is a verified fact, I can say I am pretty sure I have seen it in action.  

Harold- what Carol described in her post is how I understand the camper rental folks are able to come in the Fort with their campers and deliver them to the site for guests.  The guest renting the camper adds the camper rental person to his or her reservation.

TCD

I understand if the camper rental people actually show up at the fort to set up the rig. In that case the primary person on the reservation is there to check-in and set up the site.  but what I didn't think could happen is for someone other than the primary to show up and check in.  Once my wife was trying to check in inside while I was out in the parking lot and they made her come and get me to show my ID.  We have the same last name same address on our IDs but they wanted to see mine because I was primary.  I guess we just got a wacked CM or maybe it was the inside check-in people wanting us to stay in the outside line for campers. But the line was almost back to the point of blocking traffic. We still got in way before we would have in the outside line. 

That just seems like bad business to let TA hold sites that Disney could sell themselves and not pay commissions to the TAs.  I understand doing that for slow times but they have to know they are going to sell out Christmas.  Unless this is a way to push more packages instead of room only. There has got to be money in it for Disney or they wouldn't allow it.

If a TA is holding them the only way I can think they could do it would be to book it under some name, whatever they decide to use. They would also need to place a deposit on the site. This is something I so not do and have no intention of doing personally. I do not have the kind of money laying around or the credit available to tie up holding site in the hopes someone wants to book

As far as checking I believe any adult on the reservation is supposed to be able to check in.

If a TA is holding them the only way I can think they could do it would be to book it under some name, whatever they decide to use. They would also need to place a deposit on the site. This is something I so not do and have no intention of doing personally. I do not have the kind of money laying around or the credit available to tie up holding site in the hopes someone wants to book

As far as checking I believe any adult on the reservation is supposed to be able to check in.

I am always the one who books us and the primary on most of our fort trips.  My husband is often checking in without me since we used to drive 2 vehicles, he with the camper and me towing the golf cart.  They always let him check in even though it was my reservation.

TCD I wouldn't doubt what you're saying, and I still have hope that we will get in this Christmas.  I just don't like not being able to definitely plan on it due to not being able to book ahead.  And I have been trying off and on since we checked out on 1/4/13.  Fortunately now Jason is helping me try to get in, too.

I think between the theory of the agents holding multiple sites and folks who book the month then pare back to what they want within the 5 day window, it makes it nearly impossible to make a Fort reservation over the holiday season.

I also have heard of a travel agent placing her name as a secondary guest on all of her Fort reservations. They pay in full before they arrive, she checks them in early in the morning and obtains keys, etc and gets them the best site possible and all they have to do is drive to their site. She meets them at the site with the key cards, etc.

I'm sure that the travel agent does have to lay out the money for the deposit. But it is probably worth it to them if they can become the place that guests have to come to make reservations.  There's no risk.  If they can't find someone to sell the reservation to, they can cancel it or change it with no penalty.

TCD