Best Trip Ever, but Rain, Rain, Go Away!!

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not sure how long that room has been like that, but it was just like that in April of 2010.  They have kept it up though.  It has a few rough spots but it had been redone since our visit then.  I'

Does PP use any kind of facial recognition software to match up photos to people?  I remember on our Dream cruise, the Shutters person told us that even if we didn't have our card to scan at a photo op, the pics would be matched up with us.  I understand Shutters is not Photopass, and that on a cruise ship you have far fewer faces in the system than at WDW....and it's also possible she was full of it.  Just wondering if PP does this. 

Sorry for the hijack FandFmommy....but your PP comment on missing pics made me wonder this. 

Apparently they do have facial recognition because they requested another photo of the same people.  We'll see if it works out. 

The only facial recognition is the photopass person looking. The photo is so the CM can verify they have the correct photos. I search for photos all of the time and I just look for the person standing in front me in the photos. We become very good at facial recognition.

The searches are performed by a human being one photo at a time. It can be very time consuming if there are allot of photos so the more info you provide, the better. It starts with a broad search.

"Ok, Im looking for a little girl dressed as Rapunzel meeting Mickey around 3:00 on Monday."

We then scan the photos till we find Rapunzel meeting Mickey then compare the photos to see if its the right guest. If its the right one, we can then bring up all of the related photos. If its not right, we continue the search.

The only facial recognition is the photopass person looking. The photo is so the CM can verify they have the correct photos. I search for photos all of the time and I just look for the person standing in front me in the photos. We become very good at facial recognition.

The searches are performed by a human being one photo at a time. It can be very time consuming if there are allot of photos so the more info you provide, the better. It starts with a broad search.

"Ok, Im looking for a little girl dressed as Rapunzel meeting Mickey around 3:00 on Monday."

We then scan the photos till we find Rapunzel meeting Mickey then compare the photos to see if its the right guest. If its the right one, we can then bring up all of the related photos. If its not right, we continue the search.

I gave a lot of information and Daddy and his beard stand out fairly well.  :)   We had pictures made of us on the side sort of, of the tree of life.  Over on that walkway I think between Africa and Asia.  The walkway is very lush and fairly small.  Anyway I hope they find them. 

I gave a lot of information and Daddy and his beard stand out fairly well.  :)   We had pictures made of us on the side sort of, of the tree of life.  Over on that walkway I think between Africa and Asia.  The walkway is very lush and fairly small.  Anyway I hope they find them. 

As I said, if the photographer took them, they are in the system and will be found.

We tag every photo taken with location, subject, date, time, photographer, and then the photopass card number/MB when it is scanned. This gives us the ability to search for and find any photo given a number of criteria. The problem comes in when a photographer is stopped either on their way to a location or on their way off stage. They may not change the data before taking the photo and the photo is tagged as their last location. This normally doesn't pose a problem if everything works, but if the photos do not get associated properly, it makes searches tricky.

Next up was the Kilimanjaro Safari.  We had fastpass+ for this.  By the way is it a fastpass + or the fastpass+ or just fastpass+? 

When you have a fastpass+ you walk up to the line where the regular fastpass return is and scan your magicbands on the mickey head.  Then if it lights up green you are good.  Your names come up on the screen and you go through.  The CMs often welcomed us by name.  Then in the safari line you go on through with your stroller and drop the stroller off with the stroller folks and keep walking through the normal fastpass line, then when you are almost to the end of the line they scan your magic bands again.  This is where they normally take your regular fastpasses. 

While we were zooming past all the folks waiting in line, I really began to appreciate fastpass+.  Mostly because of this… We did not have to go all the way over to the safari and get them and then come back later.  I know this had to have taken a huge amount of time out of our day.  Then I realized how awesome it would be for the rest of the trip.  I had made these reservations for the fastpass+ weeks ago, a little concerned about having to be there at that particular time, but it worked perfectly.  I would also like to say there were a TON of people with magicbands that did not have fastpass+ reservations.  I’m sure they were explained to them when they checked in to Pop but they didn’t make them.  They are so easy to do, so I’m not sure of the reason. 

Our phones did not work in the World and I don’t have  a smart phone anyway.  (I know crazy right, but I’d rather go to Disney World)  But we used the heck out of the little kiosks to change and adjust times for fastpass+.   We had no problems. 

Here we go…

I'm a sucker for the kid pointing pictures.

P9212534_zpsdcaf6cb7.jpg

P9212539_zps79fb8535.jpg

P9212541_zpsd610a3c3.jpg

P9212543_zps22efca21.jpg

The weird tree that I can never remember the name of

P9212544_zpsbba9b2de.jpg

P9212547_zps125172e6.jpg

P9212550_zps8304d9bb.jpg

Lots of pointing !!

P9212551_zpsb52da2a3.jpg

P9212552_zps7d276f2d.jpg

P9212556_zpsa3ebc60e.jpg

Were there ever animals in this pond.  We didn't see any on either Safari. 

P9212559_zpsea21c0a1.jpg

P9212561_zpsc32e3c99.jpg

P9212562_zpsf0867139.jpg

P9212563_zpsb6d42a0d.jpg

P9212565_zps21a57362.jpg

P9212569_zps5a813507.jpg

P9212572_zps1a6a5079.jpg

Can you see the cheetah? 

P9212574_zps5546aef3.jpg

P9212577_zps83c2137d.jpg

I'm late to this report (heck, I think I was late to my own report) but I'm here and enjoying the ride. 

I happen to have a good friend who just landed the part of Dory in the Nemo show in AK (see what I did there? lol) and so I sent her a message asking about the cast. I'll let you know what she says. 

I'm late but in! Loving the report so far!

Did your kids try to take the bands off? I know my son will.

I think my little one did once or twice but he really just told us he wanted it off and I just put it in my pocket.  But he only wore it because his brother wore one.  I would just tell him that it is important not to loose it but to tell you if he wanted it off.  That way you can hold it for him.  They are really comfortable though. 

Can you see the cheetah? 

P9212574_zps5546aef3.jpg

Yes!  Right on top of the rock in the center.  I don't think we've ever seen one that much out in the open.  When we've gone, they've been hiding in the back.

I think that pond you asked about is for the elephants.  That's why they have those steps there.  I think I remember seeing an elephant in the water before.  But I could be mistaken.

That safari looks like it was a lot of fun for your boys.  Their faces have such expression!

TCD

I'm late to this report (heck, I think I was late to my own report) but I'm here and enjoying the ride. 

I happen to have a good friend who just landed the part of Dory in the Nemo show in AK (see what I did there? lol) and so I sent her a message asking about the cast. I'll let you know what she says. 

Oh thanks.  I'd love to know. 

Normally called a Baobob tree, but in this case, I'm thinking the rare "species concretus"

Hahaha!  I thought so. 

Great pix of AoA. We've never been there or Pop Century.

We really loved Pop.  Our room was in a perfect location.

Really enjoying your TR!

Thanks!

I'm late but in! Loving the report so far!

Did your kids try to take the bands off? I know my son will.

Thanks!!

Yes!  Right on top of the rock in the center.  I don't think we've ever seen one that much out in the open.  When we've gone, they've been hiding in the back.

I think that pond you asked about is for the elephants.  That's why they have those steps there.  I think I remember seeing an elephant in the water before.  But I could be mistaken.

That safari looks like it was a lot of fun for your boys.  Their faces have such expression!

TCD

Thanks for the info!  They did love the safari! 

We are still on our first park day at Animal Kingdom. 

Next up was Rafiki’s Planet Watch.  We had never done this before.  The boys LOVED the train ride.  It really is a neat thing to do.  We enjoyed it.  I’m sure a lot of folks think its boring, but some times its good to get away from the crazy. 

This was Fish’s first character interaction.  He did really good and thank goodness for an awesome big brother.  He had a major diaper leak before so I hope Rafiki didn’t notice.  J

P9222579_zps51ea642a.jpg

P9222580_zps4dd5180f.jpg

P9222582_zpsf052971c.jpg

After that we saw DeVine. I can't remember exactly where.  Maybe close to Tusker House.  Anyway we decided DeVine is DeMan now.  It is definitely not the one we saw 3 years ago.  She was amazing and so graceful.  This dude/dudette was just covered in vines and walking around on stilts. 

P9222583_zpsbd21d200.jpg

P9222584_zpsfd314fce.jpg

This is when the rain started.  :(  Not a down pour, but a consistent solid drizzle.  Daddy and Fowl decided it was a good time to do Kali River Rapids.  There was practically no wait and Fish and I went to the bridge to watch them.  Fowl loved this ride! 

Here they are...

P9222585_zps693b8068.jpg

P9222586_zps412aa1d2.jpg

We had left It's Tough Being a Bug for last.  Fowl had wanted to do this for a long time.  Guess what.... It was closed.  They were having some sort of problems.  It was still raining and we thought this would be our only AK day so we were all pretty disappointed.  We thought the best thing to do would be to sit on a bench across from it and stare down the workers in hopes they would open it!  Well it didn't work.  We got more and more wet even in ponchos.  So we decided to leave.  We were bummed.  (Hint...Something awesome happens at the end of the trip and fixes this problem!) We went back to Pop to nap and would be heading to Downtown Disney that evening. 

We are still on our first park day at Animal Kingdom. 

Next up was Rafiki’s Planet Watch.  We had never done this before.  The boys LOVED the train ride.  It really is a neat thing to do.  We enjoyed it.  I’m sure a lot of folks think its boring, but some times its good to get away from the crazy. 

This was Fish’s first character interaction.  He did really good and thank goodness for an awesome big brother.  He had a major diaper leak before so I hope Rafiki didn’t notice.  J

P9222579_zps51ea642a.jpg

P9222580_zps4dd5180f.jpg

P9222582_zpsf052971c.jpg

After that we saw DeVine. I can't remember exactly where.  Maybe close to Tusker House.  Anyway we decided DeVine is DeMan now.  It is definitely not the one we saw 3 years ago.  She was amazing and so graceful.  This dude/dudette was just covered in vines and walking around on stilts. 

P9222583_zpsbd21d200.jpg

P9222584_zpsfd314fce.jpg

This is when the rain started.  :(  Not a down pour, but a consistent solid drizzle.  Daddy and Fowl decided it was a good time to do Kali River Rapids.  There was practically no wait and Fish and I went to the bridge to watch them.  Fowl loved this ride! 

Here they are...

P9222585_zps693b8068.jpg

P9222586_zps412aa1d2.jpg

We had left It's Tough Being a Bug for last.  Fowl had wanted to do this for a long time.  Guess what.... It was closed.  They were having some sort of problems.  It was still raining and we thought this would be our only AK day so we were all pretty disappointed.  We thought the best thing to do would be to sit on a bench across from it and stare down the workers in hopes they would open it!  Well it didn't work.  We got more and more wet even in ponchos.  So we decided to leave.  We were bummed.  (Hint...Something awesome happens at the end of the trip and fixes this problem!) We went back to Pop to nap and would be heading to Downtown Disney that evening. 

Hang on a minute!

That is not Devine.  It's Bamboo.

Bamboo showed up for a brief time a few months ago.  I think he's supposed to be a male version of Devine, but with Bamboo instead of vines.

For some odd reason I'll never understand, this apparently was not a big hit with guests, and I thought Bamboo had gotten the axe.

But that's him.

You're lucky to have seen him- he's rare.

TCD

Hang on a minute!

That is not Devine.  It's Bamboo.

Bamboo showed up for a brief time a few months ago.  I think he's supposed to be a male version of Devine, but with Bamboo instead of vines.

For some odd reason I'll never understand, this apparently was not a big hit with guests, and I thought Bamboo had gotten the axe.

But that's him.

You're lucky to have seen him- he's rare.

TCD

He's pretty lame.