S71 does AOA and a MNSSHP...Yipeeeee

Our first stay was in 1999 at AS music

I beg to differ with you but I'm pretty sure that every time we've stayed at an AS they've had poolside towels. I will be editing some family photos in a little while for a Christmas project and ill look if any of my pictures show the towel bin. I just checked Disneys website and found this picture of the ASMusic pool showing the towel return and the towel pick up.

image_zpsc9f8c6c8.jpg

I vaguely remember reading on AllEars, or maybe somewhere else that All-Star Music ran a test of having pool towels. It looks like the website took their shots at that time. Don't know if they are still doing the pool towels.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought all the hotels provided towels at the pools?

I vaguely remember reading on AllEars, or maybe somewhere else that All-Star Music ran a test of having pool towels. It looks like the website took their shots at that time. Don't know if they are still doing the pool towels.

if they only did it as a test run they need to bring it back.  What a pain in the rear it would be to have to bring towels from your room.  they dont give you enough towels for me, DW, and DD to go for a night swim.  we would need three for the pool and then three when we got back to the room for showers to get rid of the chlorine.  Then in the morning DW and I don't function with out a morning shower.  That would take at least 9 towels for our family of three.

this picture was taken at ASMusic on December 2006.  It shows either a towel return or towel pick up.  it doesnt matter i really just want to show off a picture of DD on her first trip to the World.  Shes 2 1/2 in the picture.

3f463efc-592a-47ee-83b4-3af7d7fd1fc1_zps

I agree with Carol. As long as I've been going to WDW, 10+ years, I've stayed at Values at least twice a year. There have never been pool towels on any of my trips. Moderates, yes, but not at any value. The towel returns were there last summer when it was busy, but i didn't see them on my winter trip.

Honestly, since most people take room towels, I never understood why they didn't have them either. Then again, I'd almost always rather take my own towel.

I agree with Carol. As long as I've been going to WDW, 10+ years, I've stayed at Values at least twice a year. There have never been pool towels on any of my trips. Moderates, yes, but not at any value. The towel returns were there last summer when it was busy, but i didn't see them on my winter trip.

Honestly, since most people take room towels, I never understood why they didn't have them either. Then again, I'd almost always rather take my own towel.

You maybe right. All I can tell you is what I remember and the pictures That show the towel return carts and towel carts. You've stayed there more than I have. We have only stayed at the AS resorts about 7 or 8 times in the last 12 years. And it's been two years since our last visit to a value resort. Regardless if they have towels or not it is a great resort that has a lot to offer for the budget minded traveler.

I can top Carol and Brent-  I stayed at All Star Sports the year it opened- 1994.

Since then, I've stayed multiple times at all the All Stars and Pop Century too.

They have never provided towels at the pool. The closest I've seen to providing towels is that they will sometimes park a cart full of towels in the stairwell of one of the buildings closest to the main pool.

TCD

The worst part was there was a family of 20 all with Boston Red Sox shirts chanting the whole trip, go sox, go sox.

A bus full of Red Sox fans?

I would've jumped out the window.

In the future, if you're in that situation, I would not have given up on the boat.  Even when the line is down the dock like that, they do a pretty good job sending extra boats to clear the HDDR guests.  They don't want people dropping $60 a piece on a fried chicken dinner complaining about their experience. 

If the weather is bad, or there's some other reason that you have to take the bus, the better move from here would be to take the Wilderness Lodge bus from the Settlement and use the WL bus stop to transfer to a bus to a park or Downtown Disney.  The WL bus is a non-stop shot from the Settlement.  If you take one of the internal Fort buses, you will be making multiple stops on the way to the Outpost, and will still have to wait for a park bus when you get there.  Plus, almost always, the WL bus will not be crowded, while the internal Fort buses will be packed.

TCD

The Values have never had pool towels. We've been going to the Values since 1997. They have only recently started putting the "return" bins out there

As I said, I guess towel theft does not run high these days since they have no way of knowing if you put them in the pool return bin or low life's stealing them

The All Star value resorts are great! Our favorite is the ASMusic. We've never stayed at AoA or Pop

Great theming for the little ones.

Poolside bar

A great pool (no waterslide).

Poolside bar

They have lots of activities poolside and me and DD love watching the nightly movies while sitting in the pool.

Poolside bar

good choices in the food court. Most items are the same as the items in the moderate and deluxe resorts. Pancakes are pancakes. Mickey waffles are Mickey waffles.

Buses are great. I don't know why but we have never waited for more than 10 minutes for a bus. Either leaving the resort or returning from a park. Maybe Lou or TJ can jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong. I think it's because there are three resorts in a row and they send more buses to the AS's

Drawbacks, they have two double beds instead of queens. Moderates have doubles also.

No TS restaraunt.

No water slide for the kids

And for your family DIT they do have a few adjoining rooms(If my memory is working correctly). And some family suites.

Give them a try, you might enjoy your stay.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program.

I love poolside bars also. Since you mention the buses, is it the same at all the value resorts that they only have one drop off spot? The one thing I liked about port Orleans is that they asked what building you were in and dropped you close to it. I guess that's a perk for moderate resort.

I love how you emphasized the poolside bars.

I agree

I do enjoy a poolside bar.

Ditto

Honestly if you are used to staying in your quiet camper I think values would make you miserable.

We always stay value (sometimes do split stays) and the doors slam and you can hear the toilet flushing and shower running of the people above you. But we cheap out on the room to either do extras or do a split stay at a more expensive place. I've never had it wake me at night with the noise but it can be annoying while trying to fall asleep.

I like the food courts and the pools. Since Adam is on the younger side a slide isn't a necessity for us yet.

The only time we have had huge bus waits have been after the parties. We have waited around 45 mins but they were double and triple loading buses and doing the best they could.

I like and totally agree with this post. This value resort makes me miserable compared to our RV. And o yes, flushing and door slamming run a muck at the value resort

if they only did it as a test run they need to bring it back.  What a pain in the rear it would be to have to bring towels from your room.  they dont give you enough towels for me, DW, and DD to go for a night swim.  we would need three for the pool and then three when we got back to the room for showers to get rid of the chlorine.  Then in the morning DW and I don't function with out a morning shower.  That would take at least 9 towels for our family of three.

this picture was taken at ASMusic on December 2006.  It shows either a towel return or towel pick up.  it doesnt matter i really just want to show off a picture of DD on her first trip to the World.  Shes 2 1/2 in the picture.

3f463efc-592a-47ee-83b4-3af7d7fd1fc1_zps

Another great post and thinking alike

We always call for more towels as soon as we get in our room. Sorry environment , I'm a towel whore. And then with our daily tip I leave a note asking to make sure we always have plenty.

who hoo, towel whore. That's a new one ...lol

you said whore! (Said with my best Beavis and butthead impression)

shame on you this is a family friendly place! LOL

LOL

Starbuc71

Yes, there's only one bus stop per resort. But even if your in the back of the resort its still a relatively short walk. Except when your walking back to your room after a day at the MK. Lol

At least at the all-star resorts theres only one stop. I've never stayed at Pop or AoA.

They pick up at ASsports first, then ASMusic, then ASMovies. I have gotten on the bus at ASMusic and no one was on the bus. I don't know if it was no one was at ASsports. I had a fellow guest tell me that when it gets busy they will send a bus straight to our hotel. It makes sense to me but I don't know it as fact. Also I seem to remember a time or two we got on a bus, at MK, that was going straight to our hotel.

I need to correct clarify some of my remarks. I just got the straight scoop from an expert on the subject.

Buses to and from MK from the 3 All-Stars are always separate.

Buses to the other parks and DTD pick up at all 3 except during park opening time, and only if the volume requires it.

"I had a fellow guest tell me that when it gets busy they will send a bus straight to our hotel."

True, but that only happens during park opening time unless it's MK which is standard.

" I seem to remember a time or two we got on a bus, at MK, that was going straight to our hotel."

That's true. There is a bus stop for each All-Stars resort at MK only.

At closing time, Epcot and DHS will have separate buses for a limited time.

AK never separates them at closing. DTD always combines them.

Thank you

Well, it's time to get this trip report up and going and hopefully finish up soon. I came to a few realizations and caused some questions to ponder. Let's see:

1. S71 hates the new rapid joke mugs.

2. Not impressed so far with magic bands (and either are the rest of the guest at AOA)

3. AOA not worth the price (IMHO) compared to more upscale hotels in the same price range

4. One bus stop at the value resorts does not do it for us

5. Even with the high price of a concrete pad and a grill, the fort is still the best bang for your buck weather you tent it or RV it

6. Disney bus transportation is great if you have no other options, but with a car or staying at a boat or monorail resort, stay far far away from the buses

And up to this point...pool towels...to be or not to be

We left off with a late night swim at the mermaid pool which was relaxing after a bus full of Red Sox fans. We made it back to our room by 11:00 and fell right to sleep. We had a busy day tomorrow.

The one thing I forgot to mention on this trip wad that I was coming down with a cold. I usually Handel colds pretty well and take the trusty day quill in the day and the NyQuil at night, but this time it hit me like a brick wall on Sunday morning. The wife and kids walked to zoo at the food court and got me a breakfast sandwich and some Gatorade. They then went to the main pool for the day while I slept, slept and slept. Sorry of no pics but the wife had a hard enough time watching the kids let alone taking pics of interesting things at the pool fiends long for.

It was now 2:30 and time for the MNSSHP. I was feeling better and the kids were ready to go. After getting showered and dressed it was time to head the bus corral and hang out with the rest of the cattle trying to get on an already packed bus

01db7f2c477c5e6ffb5cac0955260b04.jpg

We finally made it to the MK and surprisingly it was not too crowded

0990eca9133a4f5168408d720ef472fc.jpg

2b79e0b8a65d4ad23aa2462ed7e422b0.jpg

c95701bf89b6ccdf506e19a7be9757cd.jpg

Here is your biggest tourist shot.....

a64d13a82ace400a27b001fa9e4752c6.jpg

My son looked mad because he saw this sign but no cinnamon buns

4616c58db3255f28a1ed03e5ac32eadb.jpg

Here was a bunch of 80's wanna be's

6ac6330d2b18107eba19693049891e3a.jpg

And let's not forget the spitting image of mrs. Incredible on the left of that picture...lol. I give her credit. I wouldn't wear it. Talking about costumes, I wad going to snap all the good ones I saw, but I got so involved with the kids fun, these were about the only ones I got. I do have to say the best costume I saw and couldn't get my phone out quick enough before she woke up was I kid you not a 300 pound plus woman dressed up in an iron man costume complete with a glowing power chest sleeping against the wall near the bathrooms by the shooting gallery. When I went to get a pic she woke up and left. Huge fail

Here we are entering adventureland

1d8d2a566c0e61f5bb989193630e5240.jpg

And a classic finger on the lens shot

be9a65c5fc84d1b95de91ac2c8f59f7b.jpg

We made out at 4:30 and got 4 fast passes for BTMRR for 5:30. Score! Usually at a MNSSHP the fast pass machines are shut down for the night. At least they always have been for us. We hit our usual peco bills for dinner then hit BTMRR. My son makes this ride by one inch and he loves it. Next up... The skies get dark and we get into the little mermaid ride.

Good job on the Halloween party pics.  Of course, I would have loved to see the sleeping woman in the Ironman costume, but understand you were there to spend time with your family and not to take photos of funny looking strangers.

You could have at least taken a photo of you in your costume.  What were you?  I'm guessing either Darth Vader or a Storm Trooper.

TCD

Ok, time to wrap this up. I have been so busy at work and home I have been slacking on here. We left off with dinner at Peco Bills and a fast pass ride at BTMRR. We also got a quick ride in on pirates. Next it was off to my sons favorite ride which he calls the Goofy roller coaster. We waited about 10 minutes and watched this

9d4fee66967c05b402583cbc650881cc.jpg

The sky was getting dark and the winds were picking up. It's been a while since we were at a park during a rain storm. We actually got lucky and the winds were blowing the opposite way

7c4eace44f9a6759b87051a4be1d1cd3.jpg

After the goofy roller coaster it was off to the little mermaid. We actually had to wait about 20 minutes. Here we go

575cf57c291d228017d1d414546d2e64.jpg

ba3312c339b1256543d11d2662adbbc3.jpg

669c94b620a72e1d461f3f157df1f6a2.jpg

62fbddf2d5c16bc0fcc6c78ee5c58740.jpg

30938dcd8742b2e9ea570505bb05ff71.jpg

I think they did a great job with Ursala on this ride

0fce3033834380e0512cff8b69ec36dd.jpg

Look, a transformer

d7b3e60728c9f858cc090409cc9c67a8.jpg

Don't ask me what's on her neck

04ca71cb89bc27a4346d828aab62ab1b.jpg

.....alls well that ends well

0fc1733e9304b80870426856bc12c986.jpg

When we exited, the weather was great, the crowds were not bad and the sky was clear as a whistle with a full moon rising.

764155317204246e4d5fd3769d333373.jpg

Remember a while ago when I said the iPhone is not all that great for pics? Well the big white dot in the above pic was the full moon over the castle.....fail. It should have been such a nice shot. Along with these of the beast castle

d3a52d2958d0b194bd0626cf5eee8018.jpg

48c0af4c77798de2767500f8593bfbe3.jpg

Couldn't tell which one was a better shot

Next was time to get our favorite spot to watch the boo to you parade. I think this is a Smart thing for MNSSHP and MVMCP is to get a spot as close to the beginning of the parade route in frontier land since you only have a few more hours after he parade to hit rides. A lot of people and I mean a lot, like to bombard main st and in front of the castle to watch the parade. These people will grab their spots some an hour before the parade (7:00) and the parade will not get to them at least 20 minutes or more after watched it at 8:00. This has always worked for us. Here is the best part of the parade

fc176532cafd87e578d01e30913d6ed5.jpg

...and it begins. This was one of the best pics I got of the whole parade

80a7472d9473d74dbaaf3062e79d360e.jpg

And a few more...

298f03348d9c40773f3603663d306bef.jpg

6307e532d4111081d35270d11e0cdc90.jpg

A crappy shot of captain Jack

1865dd5c99036445b885cc50362ace0c.jpg

aa5f7bb01adc9b24f686e8a0cf918a9b.jpg

The shovels, gotta love them

22071cf18cabb024f731cf88aa028c68.jpg

That was it for our parade pics. Our plan worked and we rushed to the HM and we got right on. They did skip the prelude to the ride of the stretching room which got riders on quicker. I wish they did that all the time since I hate being pressed together in a dark room with sweaty strangers...lol. Probably one more post and we will wrap this up. Next, space mountain and more of the awesome Disney bus system.

Time to wrap this up. We left off leaving the parade and hitting HM for a quick ride. Since our last trip to MK my daughter just made the height limit for space mountain. She wanted to go and she was a trooper. Now it's her favorite ride. Normally we are so pumped when we get off the ride, we totally forget to look at the pics they take during the ride. I think I finally figured out where they take the pic. Here is a classic TCD shot, not as good as his, but I'm working on it

af67ba13e978706b5ffcc87ae2c7f018.jpg

After SM it was off to see the Halloween fireworks. Once again, fail with the iPhone

94b0a6df3460ed040979c74444296509.jpg

3cd2de97863a35d816d290e0bbd9cdc0.jpg

142ce97bf4638ffbe2f5ab0e40fb699f.jpg

297a93e516607b22c3455568f27cae44.jpg

It was now getting pretty late and we asked the kids what else they wanted to do. They both said BTMRR. We hauled to frontierland and we scored. We walked on twice. It was now 11:30. We hit just about every candy spot and the kids had a good amount of candy. My son was pooped and my daughter was going on a sugar rush

24dc62273b9cf167dcbdd5c3170a15d4.jpg

e22131db0d749944312353bb9516a3da.jpg

The 2013 MNSSHP was coming to an end. We made it to the AOA bus stop and wouldn't you know it was the longest line.

c2301d5ff7d1c105f2276a8192b35652.jpg

The bus was super packed and the highlight of the trip wad a group of 3 men standing up front with a crying newborn. As most of you know who ride the Disney bus, they drive pretty fast and the the buses in my opinion sway pretty good on the curves. Well, the baby wouldn't stop crying so the one man was yelling back at his wife who wad sitting in the middle of the bus,"do you have the bottle? I'm sending him back". This stupid father handed his newborn down the isle across at least 5 people on a swaying packed bus. Stupid people.

We got back to the hotel and did the marathon walk back to the room and passed out. The next morning we pointed the car towards Tampa and made it home. All in all, it was a great weekend trip. Do you all remember at the start of this report I was going to answer some good questions

On this trip I have come to discover many things I have not seen at Disney in the past:

1. I have a greater fondness and respect for the fort

2. Disney bus transportation can be summed up as" less desirable"

3. Disney value resorts are not all they are cracked up to be

4. Different bus options at the fort. Hmmmmm.

5. No one should ever complain about trails end

And last but not least ... Sundays once again rock for a MNSSHP

Hopefully, they were all answered. The main thing is that the fort is the best resort at Disney and always will be. I'm off to pack the camper since we leave for 7 days at the fort next Tuesday. Have a great holiday my fellow fiends :)

Your daughter is going to kill you when she gets older and sees that you posted that photo on a public forum.

Thank you for sharing your trip with us.  Value resort is definitely not on a to do list.

Great job on this trip report, Dave.

That's exciting that your daughter was finally tall enough to ride Space Mountain. You do need to work on your taking a photo of the ride photo skills.  But, you have plenty of time for that.

Have a great Thanksgiving at the Fort!

Where are y'all going for Thanksgiving dinner?  I recall that you have had bad luck in that department.

TCD

Great job on this trip report, Dave.

That's exciting that your daughter was finally tall enough to ride Space Mountain. You do need to work on your taking a photo of the ride photo skills.  But, you have plenty of time for that.

Have a great Thanksgiving at the Fort!

Where are y'all going for Thanksgiving dinner?  I recall that you have had bad luck in that department.

TCD

3 years ago was the thanksgiving from hell

- a small piece of metal in my eyeball grinding on the trailer the night before which landed me at the Celebration hospital til 3am thanksgiving eve

- Disney over booking the garden rest. at the swan resort by 100 guest and being forced to wait 2 hours after our ressie

The past two have been great and we always have thanksgiving dinner at trails end and have been overly impressed and satisfied. Hopefully this will be 3 great in a row