DaveInTN’s March 2010 Trip Report – The Quest for Ms. White

I am posting my old trip reports from Voldy over here....this one is from our trip in March 2010.  

Sadly, we arrived home on Sunday night and are right back into “real life”. Pretty tough after an awesome 8 night stay at the Fort. But, you have to go home eventually, so we did. And besides getting back to work and schooling the girls, we have taken a bit of time to organize pictures from the trip and I started giving thought to a trip report. And so, here we go.

I should first point out that we had just been to the Fort for 11 nights not even 4 months ago. Yes, we spoiled ourselves a bit by purchasing AP’s before the last trip, with the idea of getting in 3 trips in a year and then taking some time off. Our November trip was great, and we also planned a March trip (just completed) and a third trip in October. But, life sometimes doesn’t play out as planned and the October trip, or any future trips for some time, will likely not happen. I won’t bore you with the details, but we are in the process of pursuing the adoption of a little girl from Russia. She is 4 years old and has Down’s Syndrome. We hope the adoption is finalized sometime this fall, and Christy and I will be making two trips to Russia during the process. So, our free time and money won’t be heading Disney’s way any time soon. And knowing that, we made sure we enjoyed this trip as much as possible.

Here are some of the headlines I’ll try to cover in this report:

• We Are Getting Good At This
• Break Out The Hushpuppies and Sweet Tea
• The Contents of Your Stomach Are Closer Than They Appear
• Who Knew She Was Such a Sweetheart?
• It Kind of Defeats The Purpose

For those of you that suffered through my last trip report, you know the terrible pain and anguish that was inflicted on me and my family by the fairest of them all, the elusive little b*%tch, Snow White…aka Ms. White. If you haven’t read the sad tale, I’ve linked the Nov 2009 trip report in my signature below. Read at your own risk. But let me assure you, she knew what she was doing. Not only was she elusive, she openly mocked me in one of her public appearances, as you can clearly see in this photo from November.

PICT0058.JPG

In any case, I vowed then that this trip would be different, that I would successfully meet Ms. White. Not only that, I vowed to get a picture of myself with the elusive little princess on my arm for all the world to see.

Was I successful?? Ummm, we’ll get to that later…

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Trip Down and Set Up (We Are Getting Good At This)

Prior to our last trip to the Fort, we started every trip down the same way. We’d pack the motorhome the day before leaving, and then head out around 5:00 am. Of course, nobody slept well before those departures, and I would typically finally fall asleep just about the time my alarm would go off. So, I was driving ALL day with little sleep. Not good. But on our last trip, on a whim, we decided to hit the road late afternoon a day early and get a few hours under our belts. It worked so well, we planned this trip that way. We hit the road around 4:30 pm on Thursday afternoon with a crock pot of chili keeping warm securely in the sink, and the kids settled in for a long trip.

DSCF3110.JPG

DSCF3114.JPG

We stopped in a rest area near Chattanooga (long story, but I decided to take the Georgia route instead of the Alabama route) to eat our dinner, and then continued on to a campground just north of Atlanta. Everyone slept a little better than they would have at home because the anticipation of leaving was already gone.

The next day was just as I like it when on the road…uneventful. We slept in a bit to avoid rush hour in Atlanta, and breezed through downtown Atlanta with zero issues. Ran into some construction delays around Tifton, but nothing terrible. Traffic was not heavy at all.

DSCF3119.JPG
We pulled into the Fort around 6:00 that evening, feeling not too bad at all. Overall, we had remembered to pack everything, our timing for the drive worked out well, and the trip went off without a hitch. And considering we had opted to not pull our car this time, the “without a hitch” pun was intentional. Check in was easy…I had checked in online a few days earlier, and there was an open lane waiting for us. And, I had also faxed a request for the 500 loop, and also asked for a site backing up to the canal if possible, in honor of Frank. Not only did the site assigners come through, they gave us what, without a doubt, is the best site for us we have ever had at the Fort! It was HUGE!

PICT0215.JPG

PICT0216.JPG

PICT0223.JPG

After setting up camp, we walked over to Trails End and ordered a Giddy Up and Go. Found an empty picnic table on the side porch, and chowed down. I LOVE that meal! Fried chicken, fries, macaroni and cheese, biscuits and I also ordered some cole slaw. We had enough left over chicken to make a second meal out of it a couple days later. Good eats, and after sitting on the porch soaking up the ambience, we were fully in Fort mode!

Coming up....we head to the Magic Kingdom!

First Day - Magic Kingdom!

When we arrived on Friday evening, the Fort was SOAKED.   :bugeyes:   It had rained very hard that day, and there was a lot of standing water around the resort. But, when we got up on Saturday morning the skies had cleared and it was a beautiful day! The air had a fall feeling to it…kind of cool but bright skies. Perfect weather to hit the Magic Kingdom!   :yay:

After a quick breakfast in the RV, we headed to the marina.

Wrong boat...

DSCF3122.JPG

Here comes the right one!

DSCF3123.JPG

The MK was packed on Saturday!

DSCF3148.JPG

What do you expect on a Saturday during March, right?   So, by the time we arrived the fastpasses for the major rides like the Mountains were available much later in the day, and we didn’t plan on staying in the park all day. I think we did grab SM passes for that evening, just in case. Then, we just strolled around in a somewhat relaxing manner, not feeling any pressure to ride anything. I hate feeling that pressure! So, we tried to avoid the crowds as best as possible. We rode Pirates…

DSCF3128.JPG

And we went over to Tom Sawyers Island. I had hoped to get an ice cream at Aunt Polly’s like we had done several years ago. Unfortunately, no one told me that Aunt Polly had retired and moved to the Villages.   :rofl3:  The ice cream counter was basically abandoned and replaced with vending machines! What a shame. But we did see a windmill. 

DSCF3138.JPG

And a big wheel.

DSCF3139.JPG

Oh boy.   I think Disney is really underutilizing what could be a really neat island attraction. Between Tom Sawyer and Discovery Island, I’m beginning to think Disney has something against islands. 

DSCF3133.JPG

DSCF3132.JPG

We did grab something to eat somewhere, but for the life of me I can’t remember where. Must have been quite the memorable meal for ME to forget….I remember meals I had 20 years ago! You could say that food is kind of important to me. But that lunch has slipped my mind. Sorry. 

In any case, we headed back to the Fort in the afternoon to relax a bit, and we grilled some cheeseburgers at the campsite for dinner. I do remember those cheeseburgers, because they were awesome! And they were accompanied by several beers.   :beer:   And as a result, I don’t really remember what we did that evening, but I think we actually went BACK to the MK to ride Space Mountain and watch the fireworks. And if my memory serves me correctly, that is the evening we went into the Main Street Bakery and got some cinnamon rolls to take back to the RV for dessert. I know we did that one night, but you know how the nights can all blend together in your mind. Especially after a few beers…

Either way, it was a pretty good first day of our trip. Oh, and the kids found some time to torment one of our dogs with a treat that she couldn’t reach. Just mean, I tell ya!

DSCF3120.JPG

Sorry, Monique. I'll talk to them.  

Coming up next….we hit Animal Kingdom. And… Break Out The Hushpuppies and Sweet Tea!

Break Out The Hushpuppies and Sweet Tea!

Sunday morning came and it was another beautiful day. We didn’t set any alarms with plans to hit rope drop anywhere…just enjoyed our coffee out under the awning watching folks make the walk of shame. You know the one…where people (I’ll admit, it’s typically us men) are walking somewhat quickly in the direction of the comfort station as nature calls.   :panic:  A friend of mine refers to it as having “his morning Pelosi”. It’s a fun diversion at the Fort; watching this and then waiting a bit for them to walk back, usually at a much slower pace with more bounce in the step. Anyways, it obviously doesn’t take much to entertain me.   :rofl3:

After breakfast, we hit the buses to head to Animal Kingdom. Of course, we snapped the typical shots at the Outpost waiting for the AK bus to arrive.

DSCF3163.JPG

DSCF3164.JPG

After hitting AK, DD’s 14 and 12 went scurrying to get EE fastpasses, while the rest of us went to the Dinoland to check it out. We rode the Triceratop Spin a couple times with DD9 and DD4, and by then our other girls arrived back after scoring 6 EE fastpasses.   :jumpforjoy So, DD14, DD12 and I rode the Primeval Whirl. That was a much cooler ride than I expected!  

Here's DD12 and DD9 in line...aren't they cute with their braces? They love each other so much!  

DSCF3167.JPG

DSCF3165.JPG

DSCF3168.JPG

Afterward, we walked around a bit enjoying the beautiful park, and then had lunch at the Yak and Yeti counter service place. We were able to snag a table out back, which is like finding a parking spot at the mall on the Saturday before Christmas. I had to stalk someone that looked like they were beginning to clean up their table. And, the cool thing is, our table was next to some bushes inhabited by baby ducks. 

DSCF3171.JPG

After lunch, it was time to EE. I love this ride, and think that the overall ride theming is some of the best Disney has done.

DSCF3170.JPG

At that point, DD9 and DD12 wanted to do the river rapids ride, so I volunteered to get soaked with them while the rest of the gang did Rafiki’s Planet Watch and checked out the petting zoo.

DSCF3176.JPG

DSCF3177.JPG

We then headed back to the Fort to relax a bit. Dinner on Sunday was the leftover chicken from our Giddy up and Go we got on Friday. DW and I did what people originally from Buffalo are prone to doing…we doused ours with Frank’s Red Hot. It was quite good. And here’s where it gets interesting.   

DD12 and DD9 were bugging me to get the fishing pole out. We were, remember, backed right up to the canal behind the 500 loop. So, I got the pole out and we walked over to the bank to do some fishing.  

PICT0177.JPG

PICT0179.JPG

PICT0180.JPG

We didn’t have any bait, so the girls tried bread.   You know how well that works on a hook. I had a leftover hotdog in the fridge, so I cut it up and we tried that. Got some nibbles, but nothing serious. I then grabbed what was leftover of the chicken, in particular a bit piece of fried chicken skin covered in hot sauce. Put a piece on the hook, and all hell broke loose in that canal! The fish started biting like crazy, and we began to haul some in.

PICT0181.JPG

PICT0182.JPG

Here's a beauty!

PICT0183.JPG

The girls were having fun, and I decided to head into the RV to wash up as we planned on going to the MK for the evening. All of a sudden, DW yells in “David, you better get out here!”. DD9 had snagged something big! And finally, with the help of DD12 they pulled in a big ole catfish!  

catfish.jpg

Well, ok, that’s not exactly the fish she caught. I grabbed my pliers to get that monster off the line and tossed it back in before thinking of snapping any pictures. But, they caught a couple more that week which I did get pics of. These were decent sized catfish! If it wasn’t catch and release we could have had a nice fishfry that night!

PICT0213.JPG

PICT0214.JPG

Anyways, that evening we went back to the MK for desert and to catch Wishes. And that pretty much wraps up our Sunday. 

Next up… The Contents of Your Stomach Are Closer Than They Appear

Here on this one too!!

It is so weird to see your photos and not see your van and  travel trailer.

Multiple Disney trips in a year.  Traveling in an rv.  You have me mentally spending all our money quicker than Steve can earn it.  Of course he would probably tell you there is nothing new about that.  

Here on this one too!!

It is so weird to see your photos and not see your van and  travel trailer.

Multiple Disney trips in a year.  Traveling in an rv.  You have me mentally spending all our money quicker than Steve can earn it.  Of course he would probably tell you there is nothing new about that.  

I loved those days.  I blame Anna.   :rofl2:

I'm in. And Kelly's right. Slow down. Some us have to work. Lol

I love the back to back TRs.

Question 1. Did you forget your razor this trip or were you ahead of the curve on the whole Duck Dynasty?

Question 2. Just curious because we are still deciding in what type if RV to get. Why did you sell your classic c and get a TT?

Love the pics! It looks like the girls had a great day fishing!

Thanks Rita!  You should drop a line tomorrow morning!!

I'm in. And Kelly's right. Slow down. Some us have to work. Lol

I love the back to back TRs.

Question 1. Did you forget your razor this trip or were you ahead of the curve on the whole Duck Dynasty?

Question 2. Just curious because we are still deciding in what type if RV to get. Why did you sell your classic c and get a TT?

I tend to not shave when I camp.  Lazy, I guess.  

Regarding the sale of the Class A to the TT.....that will be fully explained in the next trip report for October 2010.....so stay tuned!  

Oh I forgot.

Page one baby!

Congratulations!

Thanks to Jason (or should I call you DIT,Jr.?), I am relegated to a spot near the top of page two.

I am enjoying this retro report.

It's interesting to re-read your old trip reports.  This is the one where the GAG chicken skin for bait originated.

Is this also the infamous 'Ohana trip?

TCD

You are right....I remember that fishing day like yesterday.  And no, Ohana is in the next TR....October 2010.  Which is also the trip that spawned the alternate name for 400:  Jackwagon Run. 

You are right....I remember that fishing day like yesterday.  And no, Ohana is in the next TR....October 2010.  Which is also the trip that spawned the alternate name for 400:  Jackwagon Run. 

OK, can't keep those reports straight.

I hope everyone realizes how many FF.net sayings/traditions are attributable to DIT.

Speaking of which, I need to share this with you before I forget:  When I was at the Food and Wine Festival last weekend, there was a group of ladies walking around in t-shirts with a graphic modeled after those old "Baby on Board" signs.  But theirs said "Food Baby on Board."  It reminded my of INC's Meat Baby.

TCD