We Ate Some Stuff

So many of you know that I have a terrible track record with trip reports.  I didn't plan to even write one this trip for that reason, plus a few others.

The biggest reason was that I promised myself I wouldn't spend this trip looking at everything through a camera/phone lens.  Heck, I still haven't posted the 1200 photos I took last year!

Plus this year I really REALLY needed a vacation.  Really.  Like, a lot. Work was supercrazy this year leading up to what my bosses call "my annual sabbatical" and it was made crazier by me wanting to make sure that they had everything they'd possibly need while I was gone for 3 weeks, so there would be no squawking about the fact that, well... I'd be gone for 3 weeks.

So while I normally have some sort of plan for our WDW trips, or at least a list of things to do, this year I just wanted to get away and relax, while also spending time with FrIENDS. I wanted to just sit back and take it all in, even if that meant we did little to nothing.

The end result was that this was a weird year for us. 

I never printed out my little pseudo-spreadsheet schedule. I never even printed out the "list of fun" I started a couple of months ago.  By all accounts I was completely unprepared for this trip.  I didn't start my packing list until the weekend before and it was about 1/3 of the length it usually is.

We had less than a handful of ADRs for the entire 3 weeks.

We spent probably half as much time in the parks as we normally do.

It was still a terrific time, but because it was so random, there honestly wasn't much of anything to write a real trip report about.

Well maybe there was one thing...

Even without ADRs there was Food & Wine all 3 weeks, and we managed to sneak a few good meals in to boot.  And even though I took a fraction of the number of photos I normally do, there's one thing I pretty much never failed to take photos of....the food.

So I figured, heck if I can't pull off a real trip report, the least I can do is suck up to Dave/Dear Leader and the rest of the NFO and give y'all a big ol' pile of POOD FORN!

Stay tuned for the first batch of deliciousness...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seriously.  Imagine beef stroganov, chicken and cream crepes and a chilled vodka drink of some sort.  Yum.  

Also as the Official Bartender of the NFO I must insist all libations must go through rigorous quality control testing. All samples must be a minimum of 16 oz and in a sealed unbreakable container. I

cinnamon rolls from disneyfood blog -  

Thanks all!  Page 2 already?  Geez... who knew pood forn would be so popular?

Ok, so I had an idea it might be...   8)

In actual trip report fashion I will start out by at least recounting our arrival at the Fort.  We pulled in early afternoon on a Friday.  I had done online check-in as I've done in the past, and we faxed our site request for the 300 loop, again as we've always done.  We've had great luck with site requests in the past 5 or so years.  Apparently our luck ran out.

Not only could we not get any of the 5 sites we'd asked for, they had assigned us one of those awful inside sites in 300, which we knew for sure we'd never fit into.  The CM was very pleasant and said "let's see what we can do" and then after a very quick phone call said "we're going to upgrade you to premium (no charge) and put you in 500."  Alrighty!

We ended up in 520.  It's a super spacious site, and quite long, with a pretty nice separation from your neighbors.  Only one not-so-great thing... it backs up to the sidewalk/main road behind.  We decided the noise wouldn't be so terrible, and we'd stay there.  In hindsight I think we should have called up front and asked to move a few sights down, away from the road.  While the actual road noise wasn't awful - especially since we had the a/c running the whole time - we hadn't counted on how much hubbub there would be having the dogs' pen setup behind the camper.  People passing by would stop to look at them, a few even walked right into the back of our site! The real issue though was people walking their dogs past.  Our gang was pretty darn good about the whole thing, but there were a few barking outbursts.  One dopey guy walked his Aussie into our site through the bushes and stood there asking DH questions while our dogs were losing their minds.  Oy!

All in all it was fine, just not as peaceful as it usually is tucked over in our little corner of 300. However we eventually decided that we very much enjoyed the space and location of 500, but that next time around we'll ask for one of the 5 or 6 sites a bit further around that are still quite large, but away from the road.

OK, enough yakking.... now for the food!!

We wasted no time getting setup, sorting out the dogs, and getting our butts over to Kona for our first real meal in a couple of days (not counting snacks and sandwiches on the road).  Sushi at Kona has been our first night meal the past couple of years, and I think this year we cemented it as a tradition.  :)

For those that don't know, they have moved the Kona sushi chefs inside Kona Cafe but the sushi bar area is still available for seating/dining.  No ADR is required, and seating is first come, first serve. It opens at 5pm and we arrived about 10 minutes early and snagged seats at the bar.

First order of business, some "WE'RE HERE" celebratory beverages...

10859078973_89c604c4b5_c.jpg

On the right is a Bahama Mama on the left is something called a Smoked Turkey.  It's new on the WDW lounge menu and DH took an instant liking.  There's a bunch of alcohol in it, including Wild Turkey.  It's fruity but with a distinctly smoky taste.  I found it... interesting.  DH loved it and ordered them at a couple of other places.

And here is the sushi..

Lava Roll

10858789926_2158f31b5d_b.jpg

Togarashi-spiced Tempura Shrimp Bay Scallops, spicy Mayo and Chives

Caterpillar Roll

10859074953_de9e2714b0_b.jpg

Inside out Tuna Roll, Shrimp Salad Tempura Crunch topped with a layer of Avocado

Tuna Poke

10858889434_df7b7a9808_b.jpg

Traditional Hawaiian Poke Salad

Volcano Roll

10858788386_2ffe486f2c_b.jpg

Spicy Tuna Seafood Lau'ai with Tempura Crunch

Everything was delicious with the Volcano Roll still being our favorite.  The Lava Roll was new since last time and a really nice addition.  Anything they call "spicy" is really just nicely spiced, not burn-your-mouth spicy.  Portions are decent and well prepared.  If you're a tuna poke fan, they do it really nicely here.  In fact I wish they would just serve that stuff up in a bowl with a side of those crisps. There are a few new things on the sushi menu now, and I'll dig up and post the full menu.

Our bellies full of sushi, I looked at the time.  Magic Kingdom was closing at 7 for a party, but it was just a bit after 6.  That meant plenty of time to zip in quickly for dessert.  Any guesses???

10858888384_1ca8bd81ef_c.jpg

Meet Dole Whip pineapple float #1.  He will be joined by some of his siblings later on.   8)