First Time Ft. Wilderness camper: stressing out

That would be ridiculous. Back to stressing out.

Yes, it's ridiculous.

But so is a lot of stuff when it comes to their reservation system.

The worst I ever had it was two reservations (for the same level of site), and they wouldn't tell me until the night before that I didn't have to move sites. I still had to go up front and actually check out and back in again. Makes absolutely no sense. But that's how they have their system set up. And it seems like they always have the newest castmembers outside in the check in lanes- and they can't seem to grasp the concept that if your reservations are back to back for the same site level, you shouldn't have to move.

You really do need to try to do something about the fact that one of your reservations isn't for a preferred site. Keep checking on that. That could end up being a real problem.

TCD

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

YES! I got on the Disney site first thing this morning and there was an available preferred site for our last missing night!!! I was so excited I could barely type in my CC info. So now I have a prefe

Well, just to be safe I booked our site next year Dec. 17- Jan. 3 for premium. I'll cancel just the days I don't need or the whole thing if we decide not to go. I'll show you Disney quirks!!!

Below are the plans I make whenever I go to a park.   1. enter park 2. do whatever 3. exit park   Whadya think?

I'm checking everyday, twice a day for that preferred site. I'm also secretly hoping that people haven't cancelled yet are waiting until the last minute to do so. Oh I do so hope that's what happens.

It does happen. So keep trying.

As you probably know, guests can hold reservations for up to 5 days before arrival time, and cancel them without penalty. So there could be some cancellations coming.

I also believe, based on past experience, that the WDW management intentionally holds dates for whatever reason, and choses when and if to suddenly release them. This is why having a travel agent work on this is a good idea- they often know when dates get released before that information trickles down to the general public.

TCD

We've pieced multiple reservations together a few times (all with the same site level).  They always tell you you may have to move, but so far we've never had to.

We have had to check out/in with each reservation - which you can do either up at the Outpost or at the concierge window by Pioneer Hall (which we find to be more convenient and less crowded). In the past this gets you new KTTW cards and a new parking pass, not exactly sure how it works now with magic bands.

Only one time did we have a brief scare where the CM told us we had to move. We must have been in shock because she looked up at our faces and without blinking said "hang on a minute"... disappeared out back for 5 or 10 minutes, then came back and said "you're all set."  :)

I'm going to call the fort once they can see our reservations and go over our reservations with a CM. Between all the days and the vast number of magic bands we have I don't want anything to get screwed up. If we have to move, my head will explode. If you are the Fort over the holidays I'll be the woman lying in the middle of the road in the fetal position. Looking at the app and the 300 loop, there really aren't many places they can put our rig. And think of the Christmas decorations! My gawd the Christmas decorations!

45' rigs are quite common at the Fort. I see many of them every time I'm there.

Yes, but we are preferred in the pet friendly loop. I was looking at the App and alot of those site are barely over 45' feet long. There are only a few that are 50' (which are the ones I'll be faxing my request for). I'm sure they could try to cram us in the shorter site, but it won't be pretty. For future trips, I'll be sure to look in the bigger sites, but being this was our first time at the Fort we didn't know. 

I've watched the Youtube tour of 300 loop and looked at the App. I think I have my site requests narrowed down to 307, 316 and 340. Any of those look long enough for our coach. I'm also going to call the Fort on the 18th and see what they can do about the 28th, the only night as of yet I still don't have that preferred. Maybe they can hook me up once someone at the Fort is able to look at the reservation as opposed to a CM just sitting in some call center somewhere. 

As we in PA are on our second snowstorm in two days, I'm just ready to get to Florida. So. Ready.

On an unrelated question. To those of you who've been to DW during the holidays, how much do you factor in crowd calendars to your days. Every other time we've gone I've used the crowd calendars to plan our days but this time I've just been like, "oh it's crowded plain and simple. Let's just go with it." I mean, I have our FP+ planned for our days and the few ADRs that I wanted, but the rest we were just going to go with the flow. Is that a totally stupid idea over the holidays?

I've watched the Youtube tour of 300 loop and looked at the App. I think I have my site requests narrowed down to 307, 316 and 340. Any of those look long enough for our coach. I'm also going to call the Fort on the 18th and see what they can do about the 28th, the only night as of yet I still don't have that preferred. Maybe they can hook me up once someone at the Fort is able to look at the reservation as opposed to a CM just sitting in some call center somewhere. 

As we in PA are on our second snowstorm in two days, I'm just ready to get to Florida. So. Ready.

On an unrelated question. To those of you who've been to DW during the holidays, how much do you factor in crowd calendars to your days. Every other time we've gone I've used the crowd calendars to plan our days but this time I've just been like, "oh it's crowded plain and simple. Let's just go with it." I mean, I have our FP+ planned for our days and the few ADRs that I wanted, but the rest we were just going to go with the flow. Is that a totally stupid idea over the holidays?

Good luck with the reservations. Chances are good that something will open up once the date gets closer.

Sorry about the snow.

I've been to WDW for all the major holidays and never bother with crowd calendars. You're right- the parks will be busy. Plan to get to whatever park you want to visit 15-30 minutes before the posted opening time (rope drop)-this will be the least busy that park will be all day.  The FP+ thing should be a huge help during busy times- being assured that you will be able to ride three attractions is huge.  As far as I know, the room keys (KTTW cards) that you will be issued a check in will still work to pull old fashioned paper FP's, so you should try that as well.

Getting to the park you want to visit that day is key.  During busy times, they can and do close parks to off-site guests for capacity issues.  While that generally does not affect on-site guests, it can make traveling to the park difficult.  The MK is generally the only park which has this issue.

Going with the flow is a good strategy.  Not a stupid idea at all.

TCD

I hate waiting in lines, and we usually go during really busy times, so I always have a plan. My family thought it was crazy the first time, but when they saw waits over 2 hours on things we'd already ridden twice, they understood.

I think it depends on what kind of trip you want. Do you want to try to do it all, or are you OK with just doing some things? For our next trip, we're being more laid back because it's our 3rd this year.

As an FYI, DHS regularly opens around 30 minutes earlier than announced during busy times. It's common for AK and Epcot to open about 15 minutes early.

Jamie, what part of Pa. are you from, we have a Grand Gathering at Granite Hill Campground over Easter weekend, so put it in your plans early. We usually start planning and booking in Jan.

Yeah this is our third visit this year and we'll be there for two weeks this visit, So I'm less concerned about doing everything and more "meh, if we do it we do it." I have the FPs for our must rides. Thanks for the heads up about the extra early openings.

If it's your 3rd trip of the year, and you're staying 2 weeks, you don't need a plan past FP+ and ADRs. And that's from the Queen of Planning.

We are near Philadelphia, but I grew up in central Pa, where most of my family still lives. We've been meaning to go camping near Getttysburg so maybe we can work that in this year.

Ok that's great, just keep a look out after Jan1st and the Easter GG should start taking shape.

YES! I got on the Disney site first thing this morning and there was an available preferred site for our last missing night!!! I was so excited I could barely type in my CC info. So now I have a preferred site reserved for our entire two weeks! I am so so so very happy.

If anymore is looking for a full-hook up site for the 28th I'm canceling that reservation later today.

YES! I got on the Disney site first thing this morning and there was an available preferred site for our last missing night!!! I was so excited I could barely type in my CC info. So now I have a preferred site reserved for our entire two weeks! I am so so so very happy.

If anymore is looking for a full-hook up site for the 28th I'm canceling that reservation later today.

:jumpforjoy  :thewave1:  :banana:

I was in the same boat as you Jaime, and we ended up with something like 5 reservations for our preferred site for the 24th of December until the 1st of January, and then another from January 1st until the 8th or the 11th (still up in the air on the departure date).  I had to piece together the nights, taking what we could get.  At one point I was worried we would have to leave the fifth wheel in the parking lot and sleep in a tent for a couple of nights because I could only get a tent/popup site!  Like you  I finally snagged our last preferred night a couple of days ago.   :jumpforjoy   I called today to cancel the full hookup reservation we had for that night and the lady I spoke to was able to have guest services combine almost all of our reservations.  We now have one reservation from the 24th to the 1st and another for the remainder of the trip.  I was so surprised/relieved/pleased!  I have spoken to a lot of people on the phone over the last 6 weeks or so trying to piece everything together.  The first gentleman I spoke to basically told me I was wasting my time trying to piece together the nights because it just wouldn't happen (challenge accepted).  The third lady said that once I had all the nights at the same level guest services could combine them all into one.  Everyone I've spoken to since seemed to think they couldn't be combined.  Today I spoke to a lovely lady who suggested it herself when she saw we had consecutive reservations for over two weeks.  Hoorah!  So...  It can't hurt to call and see what they can do for you.  Now we're only faced with the possibility of having to move once instead of numerous times.  Plus we only need two sets of Magic Bands.  

And for your next trip, leave all the hassle to one of our AWESOME travel agents that are sponsors here.

[email protected] is my favorite!!  He will take care of everything for you, getting those nights, searching for discounts, sending the fax request, and all that other stuff!!!!!

And for your next trip, leave all the hassle to one of our AWESOME travel agents that are sponsors here.

[email protected] is my favorite!!  He will take care of everything for you, getting those nights, searching for discounts, sending the fax request, and all that other stuff!!!!!

I'm always tempted to use a travel agent, but I kinda like the challenge of pulling it all together myself. BUT, after the stress of this trip I might reconsider.