Well, I towed the new camper from our barn in NC to the new house in SC yesterday to prep for our trip this weekend to FW.  Guess what, it won't turn into the driveway....  It's just too darn long.  It's sitting at my wife's office now which is not the end of the world but not a long term solution.

The new house has a drainage ditch (sounds awful, but really not) across the front and both driveways are like little bridges with a little land on either side.  No matter how I go I'll end up dropping a wheel in the ditch.

So, choices:

• All trips start from the barn in NC
  • Rent an RV space around here

I really hate renting a space as most of the time the trailer will live in the barn when not camping.....

We had to widen the end of our driveway for the exact same reason ...a little too much drop on either side and the longer RV we got would necessitate wider shoulders at the end of the drive.   I don't know how fussy your local codes are but I did mind myself in an afternoon.

Good luck!

Only one of the drives would work, and unfortunately one side of that drive becomes the neighbors property. The other side of the drive is where several drainage pipes come together. I'm really not seeing the ability to,widen. Maybe sitting out there with an adult beverage may expand my thinking. Something to think about after the fort

You could make a removable bridge out of a treated 2x12 and 2 treated 2 x 4's for strong backs. Pull the trailer in until you get the one side tires close then align the bridge with the tires. After you get it in just remove the bridge and place it in the garage. That is exactly how I do it for mine and it has a dry weight of 9800lbs.

You can get T sections of storm drainage pipe. That might work for the one side.

Is your neighbor's drive way next to yours with a section of ditch between them? You could ask him if you can fill in the entire section between the drive ways. Since it would prevent people from droping down in the ditch between them.

Or they might not care if you widen yours a little bit if you also allow them to use it as well. If their drive way is on the other side of their yard, they might like access to the other side (your side) of the property.

Well, to be honest I really have not had a lot of time to devote to the problem.  Moving into the new house, picking up the new RV and getting ready for  FW trip has taken a lot of my time.

Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming.  When we get back from FW I will be looking at this more intently.  While we are at FW we are having a concrete drive poured in front of the NC barn to make it a little easier to get in there.  After the FW trip it will be safe and warm in the barn until a Ft. Lauderdale trip in January.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we sat over a glass of wine before we left the Fort and talked about the parking issue.  A major part of the plan we came up with was parking it in the daylight rather than at night the last time we tried.  We came up with a game plan and continued to talk it over on the trip home. 

Pulled up at the new house just as the sun was setting (left FW a little later than we wanted to).  The DW jumped out with a radio and started talking me through the plan.  What do you know, it worked.  Backed it into the driveway first try just as the sun set.

I admit, with the turn I had to go off into the "mud" on the sides of the drive, but it made it.  Need to pick up some stone/gravel and fill in the muddy areas we will need to use, but its nice to know we can park it here!

I have drainage ditches also. I widened the entrance to my driveway putting a sweep in. The sweep goes right up to the pipe and about three foot further down the road. It allows you to start your turn earlier therefore accomplishing the entrance .