Friend just called and he is taking to Disney this summer. Yeah!

He is looking at staying at the fort for 5-6 days and then they want to camp on the beach for another 5-6 days. He asked where I thought was the best campground in Florida that's on a beach. I said I don't know but I know people that do.

He's thinking of heading down towards Miami, but I told him to look into Captiva Island. He said he wants to open his door and see the ocean.

They have a TT, I think it's about a 24' long. Two kids ages 6 & 8. I think.

Any suggestions?

We haven't actually stayed there, but based on what I've heard I'd recommend http://www.beverlybeachcamptown.com/ at Flagler Beach.

Personally I'd try to talk him into more days at Disney and less at the beach.  I'd be bored with 5-6 days at the beach after leaving WDW.  

Then again, maybe they will need all that down time before the long drive home.

Can I assume the friend is traveling from OK?

If so anything on the east coast of FL is out of the way.  Instead of a northerly route, they could take a southern route (I-20/I-10) and hit the panhandle of FL, also know as the Redneck Riviera.

The nicest campground in the FL State Park system is the Topsail Hill Preserve State Park.  Part of Topsail is the Gregory E Moore RV Resort, which was a private 5 star RV resort until purchased by the State.

The Gregory E Moore RV Resort has 156 sites with water, 30 or 50 amp electric, digital cable, sewer, (non-heated) swimming pool, laundry facilities and shuffleboard courts. Bathrooms with showers are heated and cooled. Big rigs welcome.

Twenty-two tent sites include an elevated tent pad, a fire ring and water and electric hook-ups. A restroom with showers is located in the tent camping area. Pets are welcome at the campsites.

Campers can bike, walk or take a tram ride to the beach. A camp store offers camping items, as well as snacks and drinks.

Maximum RV length = 45 ft.

Reservations: Reservations may be made up to 11 months in advance through ReserveAmerica or call (800) 326-3521 (8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.)

Topsail in the first pick, followed by Beverly Beach in Flagler Beach.  There is also a place called Red Coconuts in Fort Meyers Beach but the actual beach sites are more expensive than the fort and extremely tight.  You might not be able to open your awning as your neighbor is that close.  If he really likes driving then he should check out the keys.  The beaches are not the nicest Florida has to offer but the water and the views are not to be experienced anywhere else.

My neighbor in PCB goes to Long Key State Park, at Long Key, every year.  If you decide to go to the Keys, this would be one of the best, but if you go, better make reservations as soon as possible as he says they are hard to come by.

The only other true waterfront sites that I have seen is at Gamble Rogers Memorial State Recreation Area, Flagler Beach.

Some other campground that I know of, and have personally seen, in my area of Florida (Panhandle) that comes close to an ocean view is Emerald Beach RV Park, Navarre, FL.  I have never stayed there, but it is a Good Sam listed park.  There may be others, one that I can think of is Camp Gulf RV & Campground in Destin.  Their Gulf front sites are water and electric only and they have holding tank pump out available at an extra cost.  The sites directly behind the Gulf front sites are full hook-up.  From what I know from a few people that have stayed there, it gets good reports.  Be prepared though, all of the waterfront campgrounds that I have researched are not cheap.

From a personal viewpoint, if you want to experience a good beach vacation, I would head for Topsail or St. George Island State Park.  For the sheer beauty of the place if nothing else.  As has been noted, Topsail State Park is the nicest, but the sites are not waterfront.  They have a tram that takes you to the beach, other than that, it cannot be beat. in that area of the Panhandle.

A campground in Florida with an ocean view is rare these days.

That kind of real estate is too valuable for a campground.

The only Florida State Park campground with ocean view campsites that I know of is Bahia Honda State Park in the Keys.

I doubt your friend would be able to find a vacancy for this coming summer though- those things get booked a year ahead of time.

TCD

Here's information about Fort Desoto.

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/camping.htm

The Parks and Conservation Resources administrative office is located at 12520 Ulmerton Road in Largo. Fort De Soto campsite reservations and all park shelter reservations can also be made online or at this office.

Fort De Soto Campground Information:

• A 238-site family camping area with facilities including picnic tables, grills, water, electricity, washers, dryers, sanitary disposal stations, modern restrooms, showers, play areas, and a camp store. Special camp sites for camping with pets.
  • Fort De Soto Park does not reserve 100 percent of its sites. A number of sites are available for walk up customers only. These sites cannot be reserved in advance and must be paid for the day you arrive.
    • Campsite map, rates, rules and information pdf-tiny.gif
    • Campground Store: (727) 866-9191
    • Ft-De-Soto-campingmap.jpg Reserve early for local residents - Pinellas County residents can make camping reservations outside the usual reservation window. Reservations are taken up to seven (7) months in advance. The campsite must be occupied by the Pinellas County resident making the reservation. For verification of residency, a current Florida Drivers license or Florida valid ID along with a current utility bill will be required at the time of reservation. Failure to meet the residency requirement at check in will result in cancellation. For further information call (727) 893-9185 or (727) 552-1862. Please note designated pet area, camping spots 86-164.
    • For cancellations call (727) 893-9185 or (727) 552-1862.

pinellasPark.gif  
Ten percent of our sites (approximately 25 sites) cannot be reserved in advance, but instead are available daily on a first-come-first serve basis as “Walk-in sites”. You must come in person on the day you want to camp in order to reserve a walk-in site and they are only good for a short duration (1-3 days). Weekend walk-in sites do not become available until Friday morning. The line for walk-in sites will form very early on Friday morning and patrons are able to reserve Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights at that time. Because the majority of walk-in patrons on Friday morning want both Friday and Saturday nights, we ordinarily do not have walk-in sites available on Saturday mornings.

Fort De Soto Park does not reserve 100% of its sites. A number of sites are available for walk up customers only. These sites cannot be reserved in advance and must be paid for the day you arrive. Current Time: Mon Jan 27 12:36:16 EST 2014

Ft. De Soto campground fees as of October 1, 2009:   May 1 - December 31st January 1 - April 30th     Sites 1-85 Sites 1-85 NIGHTLY RATE (TENT) $30.00 $33.50 TOURIST DEVELOPMENT TAX 5% 1.50 1.68 STATE TAX 7% 2.10 2.35 TOTAL $33.60 $37.53   WATERFRONT (TENT) $32.00 $35.50 TOURIST DEVELOPMENT TAX 5% 1.60 1.78 STATE TAX 7% 2.24 2.49 TOTAL $35.84 $39.77     Sites 86-236 Sites 86-236 NIGHTLY RATE (RV) $35.00 $38.50 TOURIST DEVELOPMENT TAX 5% 1.75 1.93 STATE TAX 7% 2.45 2.70 TOTAL $39.20 $43.13   WATERFRONT (RV) $37.00 $40.50 TOURIST DEVELOPMENT TAX 5% 1.85 2.03 STATE TAX 7% 2.59 2.84 TOTAL $41.44 $45.37  

Fort DeSoto Campground Cancellation Policy

You may cancel your reservation. However, please be advised that there are NO REFUNDS. Instead, we issue what we refer to as a campground credit. More specifically, if you notify us before 1:00 p.m. on the day of your reservation that you are unable to camp with us, we will place your unused reservation in our computer database as a credit. Once you cancel a reservation, you have one year to reschedule that credit. The most efficient way to utilize your credit is to first look on-line for availability, then you must call us to reschedule. You cannot use your credits on-line and we cannot apply them to a reservation that has already been made. We permit one opportunity to reschedule your reservation and credits must be utilized in the increment that they were issued. For cancellations call (727) 893-9185 or (727) 552-1862.

I've never stayed at Beverly Beach but have driven by many times when we lived down there.  I looked into it once and it is very, very pricey and didn't get the best reviews in terms of amenities and service (I consult RVparkreviews dot com).  However as Lou's photos show, it's about as close to the Atlantic as you can get.  

North Beach in St. Augustine is situated on A1A between the ocean and intracoastal waterway.  It is not oceanfront but you just walk across the street from the CG.

I think there are a few waterfront sites at Fort Clinch State Park in Fernandina Beach.  But, they are not full hook ups and that might be tricky with a 5 or 6 day stay.  Also they have zero shade.  The ones at Beverly also have zero shade.  Something else to consider.  Even on the beach with the sea breeze, FL is awfully hot during the summer months.  The AC on your camper would get a serious workout.

Metaldad knows Fort Desoto well.

I've never stayed at Beverly Beach but have driven by many times when we lived down there.  I looked into it once and it is very, very pricey and didn't get the best reviews in terms of amenities and service (I consult RVparkreviews dot com).  However as Lou's photos show, it's about as close to the Atlantic as you can get.  

Metaldad knows Fort Desoto well.

It's not visible in the photo, but directly in front of the MH is 6' or so, cement retaining wall, and at the bottom of it is the beach with nothing in between.

It's as pricey as the Fort's peak rates. It has full hook-up with cable.

There is not much else at the campground except for an amazing unobstructed view of the beach and ocean.

We tried Fort Desoto once, that was enough. It's not that we didn't like it, unless they've reconfigured them, the sites were not meant for the longer MHs.

The Red Coconut was mentioned above, and it's the only one I know if in the Fort Myers Beach area that is RIGHT on the water.  My grandfather used to spend his winters there before he died.

Here is the link to their website.  http://www.redcoconut.com/

There are also many reviews on trip advisor too.

Depends on how long he is going to stay and the dates, but normally when we go to Fort Myers Beach every year we just get a vacation rental that has room to park the RV.  Years past we have paid about 900 for the week, and had a one bedroom apartment in a house with a pool, a dock right a canal, and right across the street from the beach.  This year that one was booked, and we got one that is for 1400 and has it's own pool and a dock on right on the bay looking out toward Sanibel.  When you are adding up the cost of these places to park an RV, seems you can get a nice rental for about the same price with a pool and it's own private dock (we usually rent a pontoon boat for a few days and keep it right at our rental).  I can help with some of the places we've stayed if your friend wants that info.

I don't know if there's a campground on Captiva. We've just love the place.

Oh, I see.  My mother lives right near the bridge to Sanibel. We have a place on San Carlos with a view of the bridge this year.  We like to rent a boat and go up to Cabbage Key, or down to Hickory and go shelling.  Great fun, great area. 

I don't see it mentioned yet, but there is also a place called Camping on the Gulf RV park. I think it is listed as In Destin. Everything is full hookup except the beach front sites in which you are virtually in the sand. There is no sewer on these sites, but they do have pump out available. Like any campgrounds that are on the beach, it can be pricey.