How easy is it to bike around the Fort?  Are there bike racks or locations to lock up at various places in the Fort?  Can bikes be left near the marina while at the parks for the day?

My wife and I are proficient commuter cyclists, with lights for night riding and locks to secure our bikes (if I could, I would bike to work every day).  We are right now planning on booking a site in 1500 or 2000, as that is all we will need, and instead of having a golf cart, take our bikes to move around the resort.  Is it feasible to do that?

Biking around the Fort is better than using a golf cart- there's lots of places you can go on a bike that you can't go on a golf cart.

Make sure to plan a trip over to the Wilderness Lodge- there's a bike/jogging path that you can take there.  Can't do that on a golf cart.

There are bike racks everywhere- at both pools, the trading posts, and at the Settlement and Outpost.

Have fun!

TCD

When we were there, we used our bikes, instead of renting a golf cart. It worked great for us! We don't have a light on our bikes, but we will before we take them to the fort again. We realized that we would end up needing a light, so carried our flashlights to the Magic Kingdom with us, so we'd have a light for the bike ride back to the site, that night.

Great place to ride bikes.  Very little traffic.  Won't get much strenuous exercise since its 99% paved and flat, but it's still a lot of fun.

I guess if you go fast enough or far enough you might burn off a few desert calories.

If you do the path between the Fort and the lodge in the morning or just before dusk you'll probably see quite a few deer.

You can try to ride along the canal also if you have treaded tires.

If you want to get adventuresome, you can bike out of the Fort and go visit some of the other resorts.  There are a few back roads, just watch out for the busses.

I rode from the Fort to Downtown Disney and back a few years ago.

Here's a simple map of the Disney World Resort.

Disney_World_Map.jpg

If you want to get adventuresome, you can bike out of the Fort and go visit some of the other resorts.  There are a few back roads, just watch out for the busses.

In my opinion, that is a very bad idea.

WDW roads are not the slightest bit bicycle friendly. The main drag in front of the Fort, Vista Blvd., is one lane in each direction.  There is no paved shoulder.  The white line on the outside of each lane is maybe 4" from the edge of the pavement.  That road is heavily traveled by Disney buses, folks coming to and from the Fort in RV's, and countless clueless tourists in rental cars not paying attention to what they're doing.  Not a very smart place to be trying to ride a bike.

TCD

Looking at various maps, biking to the other resorts or parks looks very iffy to say the least. Maybe to MK and those resorts, but beyond that I don't think we will be doing it.

If is a shame that for the relative low cost, Disney has not put some bike lanes and a few more paths in. Reading more of their site, they list running as an activity, but most resorts have very little space to do it, with the FW-WL trail being the longest. Considering how poplar the marathons have gotten, I would have expected more.

If is a shame that for the relative low cost, Disney has not put some bike lanes and a few more paths in.

As Disney doesn't own or maintain those roads, wouldn't it be the state or local government that will pay for adding bike paths, IE, me, and you know what I think about that. Plus the disruption on the roads for something that very few people would use is not worth it.

Yeah, they put in a two lane paved biking/jogging path here in Stone Mountain that very few people use.  I thnk it goes to Decatur, or maybe all the way to Atlanta.  I see maybe 1-2 bikes a month, and a handful of joggers or walkers, mostly when the weather is warm.  (Not like now!)  Actually  I see more bikers on the road than on the path.  I wonder who paid for that thing.  Our county CEO is under indictment now for a number of sweetheart contracting deals in exchange for campaign donations.  He also liked to put in sidewalks that virtually NO ONE uses.  

Biking at the Fort is one of my favorite activities. I love getting up early and biking around the fort and over to the lodge. Lots of wildlife out. This past trip, however, proved a little too wet for me to ride much.

Yeah, they put in a twe lane paved biking/jogging path here in Stone Mountain that very few people use.  I thnk it goes to Decatur, or maybe all the way to Atlanta.  I see maybe 1-2 bikes a month, and a handful of joggers or walkers, mostly when the weather is warm.  (Not like now!)  Actually  I see more bikers on the road than on the path.  I wonder who paid for that thing.  Our county CEO is under indictment now for a number of sweetheart contracting deals in exchange for campaign donations.  He also liked to put in sidewalks that virtually NO ONE uses.  

I wonder if it is part of the Rails to Trails?  Our Scout Troop rode the Rails to Trails from Atlanta all the way into Alabama a few years ago. Neat trip for the guys.  I followed along as support with my camper.

Yeah, they put in a twe lane paved biking/jogging path here in Stone Mountain that very few people use.  I thnk it goes to Decatur, or maybe all the way to Atlanta.  I see maybe 1-2 bikes a month, and a handful of joggers or walkers, mostly when the weather is warm.  (Not like now!)  Actually  I see more bikers on the road than on the path.  I wonder who paid for that thing.  Our county CEO is under indictment now for a number of sweetheart contracting deals in exchange for campaign donations.  He also liked to put in sidewalks that virtually NO ONE uses.  

I live two blocks off a rail to trails trail, the W&OD Trail, that runs for about 45 miles with many connections.  It is a very busy trail, I use it a lot myself, cycling, sometimes commuting, and jogging.  If you build it they will come.  It'd be nice if all the resorts and parks were connected with trails and bike lanes, I think they would get more use then you would expect.

I think bike trails that would connect the parks and resorts would be used, especially during months that the temps don't get too high, by those who don't want to take the bus or drive their car.  

Here in Pittsburgh, rail trails along the rivers are extremely popular, when weather permits, LOL. (ie not too much this past month)

My DH and I have been road riders since the late 70's, even wearing helmets when no one else did. ( or even knew what they were.)  I now mostly ride on the trails, but my DH is still a road rider whenever possible.

When the trails were new, it took a few years before many people, who would have never ridden on the roads, discovered the trails.  Now, on nice weekends, the trails are really busy.  The same would probably happen at WDW.  

But then again, after walking around a park for 10 hours, who wants to ride 3 or 4 miles back to their resort?