A Tale Of Two Gatherings - Desoto 2014

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice job on the selfies! Embarrassing our children is one of life's great pleasures.

The selfies are AMAZING... oh wait, the Troll is hiding these days.   Good job embarrassing the kids. It's important to do so in order to build character.

I was taking selfies. Those other people just kept getting in my way.

Great selfies.

But DD says there not selfies if there's more than one person in the picture.

It's called an Ussie.

I'll send you her email address and you can can debate it

I find this interesting! Thank your daughter for educating us! We took a family selfie at Longwood Gardens and selfie doesn't seem like the right term. But since I am out of touch and my kids aren't old enough to educate me, selfie it was. Now I know it's an "ussie" or is that 2 people and more than 2 would be a groupie? Please advise. Go call DD's school and have her pulled from class to answer this :P

Haha! Didn't take you long to see it lol. Your selfies are really approving. If there was an award for most improved selfie taker, it would be yours!

Nice backpedaling!

Don't worry about it.  I know I have bad selfie taking skills.  My girls laugh at me every time I try. It's my trademark.

Anyone can take a good selfie if you stand still and hold the camera still.  Ain't nobody got time for that.

TCD

Man!  I was there and I didn't even make it in on page 1!  :banghead:   Oh well, nothing new there.

This was our first GG to get to attend and I had been looking forward to it for weeks.  Then, just a few days before we were to leave, Jodi told me that her theater teacher told her that she and her friend Claire (who was joining us for camping) would be written out of most of the songs for the upcoming musical if they missed the rehearsal that Saturday.  Noon to 6:00.  Ugh!  I was totally bummed but just couldn't let that happen.  So we were definitely the short timers at this GG.  I checked the girls out of school after they finished with their academic classes and we were on the road around 1:45 and arrived in just about 2 hours. 

We loved DeSoto!  It was so pretty.  I hated that we weren't going to have more time there, but we planned to make the best of the time we had.

When we arrived, we drove around the loop in the area that had been reserved for us, only to have Dave totally blow us off as we waved at him.  :wave1: He did eventually figure out that we were Fiends, not Foes, and all was well.  :)

We got the tent put up, thanks to Jodi and Claire having a lot more experience than I have in putting up tents.  I forgot our FF sign, but here's our tent:

camping11_zpsa0cbcf04.jpg

If I am remembering correctly, we were third to arrive, but others joined in pretty soon.

I had planned to arrive around 3pm, but well let's just say around 5pm is the new around 3pm. :rofl3:

I grabbed some taller people and they helped me get the tent set up. Dave and the family came by and then I lost Jessica for pretty much the entire weekend.Dave's Izzy, Makayla and her were inseparable. From what I hear Izzy did a great job at keeping the other two away from the limited WIFI that was there.

The campground had created a group for us to add our reservations to, and had blocked off some great sites all together (normally you make a reservation just for a type of site then select when you arrive).  We got to pick from that block of sites, and before long I had this in my hand.

1654247_707830332611291_1154095989_n.jpg

Hmmm looks very "Buffalo-ish" or Northwestern NY to me....  Am I right? 

The campground had created a group for us to add our reservations to, and had blocked off some great sites all together (normally you make a reservation just for a type of site then select when you arrive).  We got to pick from that block of sites, and before long I had this in my hand.

Hmmm looks very "Buffalo-ish" or Northwestern NY to me....  Am I right? 

Yes. Technically Rochester.

WooHoo!   Pretty good for someone who knows absolutely nothing about beer or wine for that matter (other than Cheerwine, but that is for another day).  Just know that everything in northern NY is tied to "Genesee" in some way, form or fashion...

We have been camping for years, but this trip included four "firsts" for us.

We left home Thursday after work and making sure we had everything in order.  I had called the Wal-Mart in Trion, GA before leaving to verify that we could stop in the lot for a few hours nap.  The manager couldn't have been nicer, not only letting me know we were welcome but also advising where to park. We left home at 7 and arrived at Wal-Mart at around 12:30.  Google had called ti 4.5 hours, but obviously the mapping algorithm did not take my slow towing into account.  The night at Wal-Mart (first for us #1) was uneventful, but a little noisy a couple of times as trucks arrived.

We were up at 7 and into Wal-Mart for last minute shopping and a quick breakfast at the Subway inside the store (Subway breakfast was first for us #2).

We arrived early in the morning due to the time change that we did not take into account. The office does not open until 9 AM, but they checked us in early so we could get settled. While we reserved a pull through site, we found a back in closer to the group and called the office to find them accommodating as to our requested change.  They just asked that we not use one of the reserved Fiend campsites.  Due to work getting in the way of many trips we had not previously announced our intention of attending the GG, but I had dropped Dave a PM to let him know.  (camping in Alabama first for us #3)  (attending a GG first for us #4).

As others have said, the weather was beautiful Friday and Saturday.  It gave us time to meet the Fiends attending, do a little hiking and check out the area.  The pot luck Satureday night was a lot of fun and it gave us more time to meet folks.  Sunday was a bust, due to the rain we held up in the camper all day.  We only ventured out a few times to walk Niko.

Monday we were up early and on the road.  Bob was the only one up when we left so we at least got to say good-by to one person.  The trip back was uneventful (we thought).  When we got the camper put in its spot and opened her up it looked like a WWII battle scene.  The upper cabinet that we keep the dishes and glasses in apparently opened up and there were broken dishes everywhere.  Don't let anyone tell you Corelle won't break.

If you are in the area try this campground, it's great!  I would hope all Alabama State Park campgrounds are as beautiful and well run as this campground.  All sites have electric (30/50), water, sewer and cable TV. Additionally they have a raised BBQ grill and a fire pit. While some sites are fully paved, most are crushed gravel. We found them to be extremely level side to side and needed no leveling. During Sunday's heavy rains we found out the campground is well drained and once the rains cleared the water was quickly drained away from the camp sites. Free internet is available at the camp store which is a short drive or an even shorter walk through the woods from the campground (lower back in sites). Numerous hiking trails, a playground for the kids and a pool (seasonal) provide plenty of activities to fill your days. The bath houses are newly remodeled and include washers and dryers at a reasonable charge. This is one of the best campgrounds we have visited!!

Glad to see others posting their recollections of Friday.  I don't have any more pictures until Saturday morning....but don't want to move on to Saturday yet in case anyone else wants to jump in.  

So...on Friday evening I can tell you that we ended up at Leslie's site enjoying a nice fire.  She had some kind of Oreo that the kids were putting in the fire to soften up.  Apparently those were a big hit.  It was a nice evening to watch the nearly full moon and enjoy some Fiend conversation.  

Before we move on to Saturday when we sadly had to leave, I'll post a few more pics:

Jodi and Claire successfully starting our fire:

photo-44_zps60b0ca4f.jpg

(Think leaves in starting the fire.  Lots of dried up leaves.)

Stella, Jodi, Anna and Claire:

photo-43_zps53e682ed.jpg

My gang had hobos for dinner, and I was pleasantly surprised that they actually cooked very nicely on the fire.  As Jodi says, everything tastes better when you're camping!

photo-42_zps13fcecd7.jpg

We had a really great time that night hanging out with everyone around the fire.  And yes, grilled mega-stuffed Oreos were definitely a hit.  

I guess I'll move on with Saturday at this point, and folks can jump in wherever they want.  

As said before, Saturday was a gorgeous day in northeast Alabama!  

Desoto is up at a pretty high elevation on Lookout Mountain, which offers some beautiful views on nice days.  And puts you smack in the clouds on not so nice days...which will be important later.  

We enjoyed some coffee in the camper for a little bit then wandered around to see who was up and about.  It was still quiet over at Bob's when the sun was starting to peek over the trees.

20140315_064158.jpg

Leslie was already cooking breakfast...some yummy bacon and blueberry pancakes, which a few of my girls enjoyed trying.  

Then it was very sadly time for her to pack up.  Anna helped roll up the air mattress.

20140315_081056.jpg

20140315_081102.jpg

Before too long, breakfast was being prepared in full force over at Yvonne's site.  As you may have seen on another thread, Yvonne had made about 1,000 crepes for the trip, and brought Nutella and strawberries for them.  The kids went nuts.

20140315_085317.jpg

20140315_085309.jpg

20140315_085310.jpg

You'll notice in the background to the right in the pics above that the Auburns had arrived late the night before.  None of us heard them come in, which apparently was pretty amazing from what they tell us.  I'll let Jen talk about their arrival.  

You may also notice something else in the pics above.  There is a crockpot of Judy's Amaze-balls sausage gravy on that table.  The very gravy that haunts my dreams between GG's.  

20140315_085703.jpg

Here is my plate.

20140315_085826.jpg

Another picture of the Fiend kids enjoying various breakfast meats and yummy items.

20140315_085321.jpg

As usual, the adults had a good time just sitting and shooting the breeze on this beautiful mountain morning.

20140315_090557.jpg

20140315_090604.jpg

We hung around for a while, then it was time for the DIT gang to load into the van and head to Wally World.  This always excites my kids, as they love visiting foreign Walmarts.  Plus, we had an encounter with some celebrities.  But I'll wait to discuss that until the rest of the Fiends update with their Saturday morning pics.