Since we've always got threads going on all manner of camping at the Fort, but not a ton of them on staying at the cabins, I figured it would be good to start a thread for those of you that stay (or have stayed) in the cabins to share the ins and outs, inside tips, tricks, photos, likes, dislikes, you name it!

So...... GO!  :)

I love the cabins!  Just not the price.

Our visits to Fort Wilderness began with us staying in the Wilderness Homes and then the cabins which replaced them.

A little known fact is that the TCD gang were the first guests to check-in to a cabin on the 2100 loop when it reopened after the Wilderness Homes had been replaced by the cabins.  We were the very first occupants of one of the cabins.

So, me and the cabins go way back.

And you want photos?

Here's one- the TCD DD's on an old style FW golf cart in front of a brand new cabin.  Those are Musket Mickey raccoon hats:

cabinpic_zps68d8a90f.jpg

TCD

Another thought (look out!): There is not a lot of storage for clothing/luggage in the cabins. You have 6 drawers and a closet - 2 of the drawers are in the nightstand. When we emptied our 2 suitcases, all of H's clothes went in the drawers, some things were hung up in the closet and all my clothes were arranged on the top bunk. The floor of the closet barely fit our suitcases in it. So - if you are a family of 6 flying in for a week long trip with all of your luggaage, you may have to get creative!

The hairdryer is mounted on the wall in the bedroom - so, if that bothers you, bring your own!

My parents took us to fw in the cabins (wilderness homes) when we were little all the time. We would meet my grandparents who were in their class c and would hang out with them. After they started traveling the country we still came back to the cabins because my parents loved the fact that it was quiet and people and youngins were not running up and down the halls all night.

We have stayed in the cabins a few times.  The dining table is small for 6 people, but if you don't try to eat at the same time or don't mind dining on the couch, then all is well.  I liked the privacy a lot.  You really don't hear other guests.  I agree with Nicole about the storage.  There were six of us and we stacked suitcases and boxes at the end of the beds.  All in all, I like the cabins... but I must say that we have only been when my awesome MIL was paying.  If we were paying we would be in a tent or All Star or Pop......

Love the pics of your kids younger!

Thanks Kelly. It seems like yesterday. Time flies.

Great pics Aaron!

Thanks Mo!

Great photos, Aaron. 

The TCD twins spent their first nights at the Fort sleeping in those cabin Pack 'n Play cribs just like your DD.

I love the photos of your son in his ND gear.

Is that a Gator hat hanging on the chair in this photo?:

DISNEYTRIPFEB2010151_zps8213ef2a.jpg

TCD

Thanks TCD.

It's actually a Boise State hat. I have no allegiance to them but I do like watching them play. I also have a Fresno State Bulldogs hat. I just liked the hats. This is the same trip that had DS sporting the Gator helmet bc of his Tebow fandom at the time.

It's actually a Boise State hat. I have no allegiance to them but I do like watching them play. I also have a Fresno State Bulldogs hat. I just liked the hats. This is the same trip that had DS sporting the Gator helmet bc of his Tebow fandom at the time.

Too bad... I'll have to send you a Gator hat ;)

Boise State.  I remember they were a thing in 2010.

And then the Gators stole their OC. 

That didn't work out so good.

I remember the photo of your son in the Gator helmet.

Go Gata.

TCD

We have been cabin campers for many years. Our first rental was a park model trailer that was on a regular camping loop. Back then Disney didn't have the cabin loops, and they had 2 or 3 of their trailers set up in a variety of loops. When they added the cabins it was a big improvement. They can get crowded, but for up to 6 people they work out pretty good. We have had as many as 12 in them for dinner and hanging out during the rain. We usually threw the empty suitcases back into the car to save inside space. We stored fishing poles in the hallway closet where the ironing board is.

It's nice leaving messy dishes and towels around, and coming back to everything cleaned up.

The prices have gotten outrageous over the years. One time we were able to get one for $90 a night. That was by far our best deal.

Like anyplace you stay they have their good points and bad points. Only you can decide if the good outweighs the bad.

We have stayed at the cabins for the past 4-5 years. We like the fact that we have a "home away from home".

I will warn people who sleep on the Murphy bed, make sure you have extra blankets. The ac vent are right above the bed.

We stayed during Spring Break one year. It was myself, my 2 boys and a friend of theirs. I let the boys have the bedroom.

Needless to say, they set the thermostat low without me realizing it and about froze me to death!

DH and I stayed for a long weekend at Christmas and I took photos of the new grocery delivery lists.

I don't know if any one has posted these or not.

DSCF0097.jpg

DSCF0098.jpg

DSCF0101.jpg

DSCF0100.jpg

DSCF0099.jpg

Good info - thanks!

AuburnJen beat you to the punch on the grocery list by a little bit.  She sent it to me a little while before your stay there and it's up on an info page...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/cabins/fort-wilderness-cabins-grocery-delivery-r334

But the first image you posted is a new one we didn't have and it's all good info.  Thanks for sharing!

This is all good information. 

I have given thought to a cabin stay at times over the years, but we've always decided against it.  The main reasons being....they just don't look like they are worth the price Disney charges for them.  While the insides look nice and I'm sure they are clean, the outsides are looking worn.  Probably because of some bad experiences at state park cabins and a cabin on an Army base, INC is convinced there would be spiders in the Fort cabins, and by the look of the outside there is nothing I can say to convince her otherwise. 

My opinion is....for what they charge, they should look newer (like mini Lodges), they should have two dedicated bedrooms and a second bathroom.  Granted...when compared to what Disney charges for their Villas, the cabins look like a bargain.  But that is for another thread....