The Helmsey's travel to Defeated Creek

After seeing Dave in TN’s TR from 2011 I really wanted to check out Defeated Creek and we finally had a chance to this past weekend. We weren’t sure if we were going to be able to make it as DW had been out of work and just recently started a new job but luckily they let her take off 2 days so we could make a nice long weekend trip.  We spent most of the week running around getting things packed and the camper loaded. The new 5th wheel won’t fit in our condo’s so we have to lug everything to it….yuk.

Anyways… I took off around 11 from work on Friday and picked up DW, DD2, and DD1 and headed to hook up the camper and hit the road. I don’t have any pictures of our departure this weekend, but this is what it looks like every time we head out.

263A9B72-4615-46AE-B848-A8E50F135936_zps

The 150 mile drive was rather uneventful with 1 stop for the girls to get out of their seats for a few minutes. 3 hours later we were backed in and setup in site 9.

IMG_0782_zps52b120a3.jpg

And this was our view until the sites filled up

IMG_0784_zps1b4a8f43.jpg

After getting setup we realized we left the milk at home. No prob, make a quick trip to Walmart and pick it up. At this point I’m remembering DIT’s trip to Walmart and the rain they came out to. This is what it looks like when we pull into wally world…awesome.

IMG_0785_zps5a9a9359.jpg

A quick check of the radar says its about to rain hard, with some high winds. Just for reference we are the little green dot about to get hammered with rain.

IMG_0790_zps8241cd1e.png

We headed back to the campground in the pouring rain, some of the hardest rain I have seen in a while. Luckily I pulled our awning in so there was no damage but others weren't so lucky. I think I have pictures of the unlucky ones from Saturday I will share in the next update.

This is a good place to stop as I am out of pictures from Friday. We will pick up with Saturday morning in the next post. We visit a farm that DIT took his girls to, and had some extra surprises. Next few posts will be photo heavy….beware J

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in!

First!

You have a great looking camping set-up, both your 5th wheel and truck look great.

The campground looks beautiful.

I hope that rain passed through quickly.

TCD

Thank you sir, we love the setup we have.

The hardest part of the rain passed quickly but kept raining on us the rest of the evening. Thats ok though, I was ready to sit and relax anyway so thats what I did.

Always, I repeat Always pull your awning in when you leave. Great pictures so far

Yep, I'm a firm believer in that. It's just too easy to do with the power awining, no need in taking that chance.

I'm in, and yes it is a very nice park. Can't wait to get back in Sept.

Glad to have you with us.

Always, I repeat Always pull your awning in when you leave. Great pictures so far

See my comment above, the first time you mentioned it :)

I'm in.

Page one bragging rights.

Glad DW's work gave her time off.

Nice rig.

Great pictures. Keep em coming.

Thanks for joining in, and thanks.

Can't wait to read more!

You will likely have to wait until tomorrow morning before I post another update. I dont really have that much more to share so I'd like to stretch it out some :)

Who is this DIT fellow, and why would you ever take his advice on anything? 

:rofl3:

He's some guy I met on the internet. You always trust them, right?

I'm in too!

I also can't wait to go in September. Hate that you won't be able to join us there then.

Thanks for reading along. After being there this past weekend we would REALLY like to make it back this year and it would be icing on the cake if we could do it for the GG. Unfortunately we will just be getting back the previous weekend from a beach trip.

I'm in!

Thanks for following along!

As I said somewhere above in all these quotes, I will post another update tomorrow morning starting with our Saturday. I have enough stuff from that day to make 3 posts so we will pick up with that when I return.

It's not looking good for this year. We leave for Disney the next weekend. Plus, I'm not sure what G's Nutcracker rehearsal schedule is going to look like. If it wasn't for Disney, probably so, but she can't miss three weekend rehearsals back-to-back. The artistic director would kill us.

I can't wait to hear how your trip went. We had a site booked for Defeated Creek one year, but we had to cancel. Some other time, huh?

Sorry to hear you had to cancel, you should look into that "other time" thing :)

May I suggest September 26-28th 2014.

Yes you may, in fact I believe you just did.

I'm in!!!!

I can't believe you actually booked a trip on the advice of Dave. That's scary. Next you'll be drinking weird Russian beer. 

Like I said I took the advice from some guy I met on the internet, nothing can go wrong there, right?

I don't think you will see me with Russian beer so no worries there. I likes my beers cheap!

Ok, time to move on with this little TR...

Saturday the 12th (beginning)

We woke up Saturday morning and it was still raining a little, ok it was more like an annoying drizzle. DD2 was not happy about that since she couldn’t go outside right away. She had to settle to look out a window for a while until the rain went away

IMG_0794_zps577fd770.jpg

After a quick breakfast of cereal we decided to get the girls out since the rain had stopped and do a little “looping”. This is what we see as we walk out of our site, I could get used to this.

IMG_3638_zpscce2a679.jpg

Here is a victim of the high winds. There were more but I didn't want to shame them by standing and taking pictures of them while they are working on cleaning up whats left of their awnings.

IMG_3643_zpsa25ae10c.jpg

DD2 in her stroller

IMG_3646_zps8200e2bf.jpg

DD1 riding in her stroller. I swear this kid smiles but apparently not when I'm taking pictures.

IMG_3647_zps48b15cb3.jpg

Another shot of the back of our site.

IMG_3648_zpsf1b913cd.jpg

These folks have a nice setup. Some of the sites here are pretty good size, I think we will see another picture of them later.

IMG_3651_zps34f61080.jpg

A nice little camper we walked by

IMG_3657_zps8b754795.jpg

Harper found a playground and it was time to do some playing

IMG_3674_zpsd9186e42.jpg

IMG_3678_zpsfe2f4bae.jpg

Swing time! Hey looky there, that kinda looks like a smile on DD1's face.

IMG_3716_zpsea14436b.jpg

IMG_3719_zpscd4bc41d.jpg

And a daddy fail. I hit a rock with the stroller and Harper wasn't strapped in. The stroller stopped dead in its tracks and H did not. She flew out and we had our first scrape of the weekend but after a tear or two  all was well again.

IMG_3726_zps696559b1.jpg

We came by a tree that ate a kite, and this was not the only one we saw this weekend

IMG_3733_zpsfb7042a9.jpg

And finally one of the girls before we packed up and headed to find some animals

IMG_3762_zps61b14323.jpg

This is another good spot to end and when we pick things up we will be at the farm, and get some extra bonus material.

I had accepted the fact you wouldn't be able to make it to the Defeated Creek GG. Then you had to go and post pictures of your adorable little girls. Seriously. Are you just trying to torture us? I say who cares if you are just getting back from a beach trip the weekend before. Come anyways!

We lost an awning once. Expensive mistake!

We lost an awning roller once.  That was expensive too and also interesting.  Had to figure out how to get it retracted around the severely warped roller in order to get it home to repair.

Your girls are beautiful! 

I agree!

Ok, time to move on with this little TR...

Saturday the 12th (beginning)

A nice little camper we walked by

IMG_3657_zps8b754795.jpg

That is a Little Guy Silver Shadow 5x10. I seriously considered one of those before I bought my T@B, but Rick couldn't get in!!! Also, no air conditioner was offered back then.

All Z needs to be happy in life is a playground. Glad the rain stopped and you got to play.

We lost an awning once. Expensive mistake!

Ah the simple things in life, a playground and a cup of juice :)

Your girls are beautiful!  Like all Fiend men, I'm guessing they get that from their Mom.   

Thank you. I have been told by friends that I have "out kicked my coverage" when it comes to my wife. I cannot deny it, I'm a lucky fella.

I had accepted the fact you wouldn't be able to make it to the Defeated Creek GG. Then you had to go and post pictures of your adorable little girls. Seriously. Are you just trying to torture us? I say who cares if you are just getting back from a beach trip the weekend before. Come anyways!

Sorry to tease, they will make an appearance at a GG one of these days.

We lost an awning roller once.  That was expensive too and also interesting.  Had to figure out how to get it retracted around the severely warped roller in order to get it home to repair.

That does not sound like fun!

Awesome report - girls are adorable! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks!

That is a Little Guy Silver Shadow 5x10. I seriously considered one of those before I bought my T@B, but Rick couldn't get in!!! Also, no air conditioner was offered back then.

It was a neat little trailer, and he had a nice setup.

Ok, here we go. A little more from Saturday:

Saturday the 12th continued

Dave had posted about a farm he took his girls to that was open to the public. We talked over PM and he was nice enough to send me directions. As I was on the way, I could see a TeePee off the side of the road and at that point I figured we had made it…

IMG_3764_zpsdeb6aee9.jpg

Sure enough, this was it.

This is the view after you walk over the covered bridge

IMG_3767_zpsadc3c2b4.jpg

The welcoming committee stopped to say hello for a second

IMG_3769_zpsdf691529.jpg

There was an old covered wagon with a peacock on it

IMG_3772_zpsa60d28a1.jpg

A closer look at the old wagon, with some modern day fixes

IMG_3785_zpsab38ac50.jpg

A look to the right. There are ducks in the red roofed barn

IMG_3777_zpsdd7faf18.jpg

Shortly after getting in the field DD2 spotted a rabbit, luckily a friendly one unlike the one King Arthur found on his quest for the grail

IMG_3800_zps165f015a.jpg

A family picture on the porch of the cabin on the site

IMG_3830_zpsb96c665d.jpg

A horse appeared and needed some attention

IMG_3855_zps7a4bbe9d.jpg

DD1 loved touching it, she would giggle constantly while she was around him

IMG_3874_zps7779756d.jpg

I stuck my head into the teepee and there was nothing of interest in there. This is what it looked like if you looked up

IMG_3882_zps37d13616.jpg

While we were walking around, a truck came across the bridge and went into one of the buildings. I figured this must be someone important so we went to investigate. It was the owners girlfriend and her sister that was visiting from Jersey. They had a box of baby chickens and DD2 got to pet them

IMG_3896_zps04460ef7.jpg

Grown chickens eating

IMG_3904_zpsc48dc30f.jpg

A few minutes later a 3rd person showed up…the owner. He is in the center of the photo and his girlfriend on the left

IMG_3919_zpsb749a220.jpg

We spent quite a bit of time talking with them, at least an hour. He was telling us history of the land, what he had done to it, and what he wants to do to it. One thing I thought was neat is that all the buildings in the field have power run to them and some have water…didn’t figure they would have that.

The owner loved watching the girls play with all the animals, he took us back to each animal and talked with us about them and made sure H was able to pet them all. As we were getting ready to leave we thanked him for providing this neat place for people and for the time he spent with us talking about it all. We were turning to walk away and he asked if we wanted to see some baby goats….we said sure. He told us he has another barn, a cabin, and some other building on the other end of his land and we could go check them out if we’d like. We figured we might as well since he invited us.

This is a quick post, but a good place to stop as when we pick up we will see some "bonus material" from the rest of his land.