Official Announcement on 4th FP+

The announcement many of us have been waiting for has been made: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/04/mymagic-adding-even-more-magic-to-fastpass/

Starting Monday, April 28th, after you use your three FP+'s, you can visit a kiosk and get a 4th.  After you use that one, you can have another, etc. 

And you may hop to another park to do so.

The article makes no mention of being able to use the MDE App to get the 4th FP- it specifically says guests must use a kiosk in the park.

No word about how tiers will impact this at DHS and Epcot.

My suspicion is that those top tier FP+'s won't be available for those looking for a 4th FP+.

Oh well, it's a start.

TCD

It's a great start.

We have morning FP+ so we will hopefully be able to get some for that afternoon.

It seems that the strategy ought to be to schedule your FP+'s as early in the day as you can so you can maximize the use of the bonus FP+'s.

I think this will work well in the MK, since there are so many available attractions.  Not so much in Epcot and DHS.  The FP+'s for the biggies in those parks are likely to be gone before you can use the 3 you need to before you can get more.   I think that means if you plan to hop, make MK the park you're hopping to and use the 3 FP+'s at one of the parks with fewer attractions.

TCD

This is a start but it really devalues FP+ for things like Fireworks, Fantasmic, and late evening parades.  Not a big deal as there is not much value in getting those FP+s but if you have to use all three before you can schedule the fourth it will make for a hard decision about accepting a late FP+ time for a major attraction.  Often that is all that's left if you don't schedule your FP+ far enough in advance.  But I do give them props for trying to make FP+ better.. The work is just not over yet.  

No matter what Disney does, someone isn't going to like it. Disney gave the masses what they wanted. The ability to make additional FP+ selections after they use the initial selections. But, now people are complaining that that isn't enough. Its a never ending story. It boils down to, its your vacation, you now have the ability to manage it however you want using the tools Disney has for you. If the parades and fireworks are important to you, you can now get a FP that gives you special viewing. If rides are more important, you can now get virtually unlimited FPs for the rides at all of the parks. You can even mix and match the options as you see fit to make your vacation yours. These tools wont address every single concern of every single guest that visits, but it is allot more than what was available before.

I for one love MyMagic+. And no, that's not a brainwashed CM spouting Disney propaganda. I haven't even been able to use the system yet and I think its great.   

This is a start but it really devalues FP+ for things like Fireworks, Fantasmic, and late evening parades.  Not a big deal as there is not much value in getting those FP+s but if you have to use all three before you can schedule the fourth it will make for a hard decision about accepting a late FP+ time for a major attraction.  Often that is all that's left if you don't schedule your FP+ far enough in advance.  But I do give them props for trying to make FP+ better.. The work is just not over yet.  

This is very true. But I would never waste a FP+ on those anyway... except maybe the parade. 

I bet this turns Illuminations into a Tier 2.... just a guess

It seems that the strategy ought to be to schedule your FP+'s as early in the day as you can so you can maximize the use of the bonus FP+'s.

I think this will work well in the MK, since there are so many available attractions.  Not so much in Epcot and DHS.  The FP+'s for the biggies in those parks are likely to be gone before you can use the 3 you need to before you can get more.   I think that means if you plan to hop, make MK the park you're hopping to and use the 3 FP+'s at one of the parks with fewer attractions.

TCD

I think the best strategy for those wanting to maximize rides is RD, mid-day FP+ for major attractions, and attempt FP+ for minors after that. I am guessing they'll eventually move the additional selections to the app just like they did for off site guests. 

I'm thinking this isn't much help for DHS or Epcot but is a huge help with the MK as long as you don't HAVE to do fireworks. 

No matter what Disney does, someone isn't going to like it. Disney gave the masses what they wanted. The ability to make additional FP+ selections after they use the initial selections. But, now people are complaining that that isn't enough. Its a never ending story. It boils down to, its your vacation, you now have the ability to manage it however you want using the tools Disney has for you. If the parades and fireworks are important to you, you can now get a FP that gives you special viewing. If rides are more important, you can now get virtually unlimited FPs for the rides at all of the parks. You can even mix and match the options as you see fit to make your vacation yours. These tools wont address every single concern of every single guest that visits, but it is allot more than what was available before.

I for one love MyMagic+. And no, that's not a brainwashed CM spouting Disney propaganda. I haven't even been able to use the system yet and I think its great.

Your absolutely right.

I personally liked the old system but when they asked me, in a survey, I told them to add the ability to add a fast pass after we've used our original ones. Is it the best system for the way we like to do Disney? No. I don't like to plan anything. But I think its a great addition to the FP+ system.

You can please some of the people all of the time

You can please all of the people some of the time

But, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Good post.

But, how can you say you love it if you've never tried it?  Ultimately, all of this mess will be sorted out.  But currently, there are many flaws in the system, and Disney has done a HORRIBLE job communicating about how it all is supposed to work.  As I said, though, we have not seen the final version, and considering how much money Disney has dumped into this new initiative, I do believe that it will one day work way better than it currently does.  As Uncle Lou says- this project is too big to fail.

I've been able to make it work, and will continue to use what they give me to maximize our park experience.  But so far, the new system is not better than the one it replaced, and I have to strongly disagree that it offers a lot more than what was available before.  That has not been true for me at all.  In actual practice,  to date, it offers a lot less.  A lot.

I think the best strategy for those wanting to maximize rides is RD, mid-day FP+ for major attractions, and attempt FP+ for minors after that. I am guessing they'll eventually move the additional selections to the app just like they did for off site guests. 

I'm thinking this isn't much help for DHS or Epcot but is a huge help with the MK as long as you don't HAVE to do fireworks. 

Rope drop.  Yes, I agree with that.  For park hoppers like us, a good strategy might be to hit Epcot at Rope Drop, book FP+'s for mid morning to noon at DHS or AK- and head there to use the required 3, and then hop to the MK for all of those "virtually unlimited" FP+'s Devores says I can get.  I don't think there will be unlimited FP+'s in the afternoons at Epcot or DHS, but it shouldn't be bad at the MK.

TCD

Rope drop.  Yes, I agree with that.  For park hoppers like us, a good strategy might be to hit Epcot at Rope Drop, book FP+'s for mid morning to noon at DHS or AK- and head there to use the required 3, and then hop to the MK for all of those "virtually unlimited" FP+'s Devores says I can get.  I don't think there will be unlimited FP+'s in the afternoons at Epcot or DHS, but it shouldn't be bad at the MK.

TCD

Yes, I think in many cases, ending in the MK is going to be the best option. I don't think anything except Captain Eo will be available in Epcot in the evening. 

Now for a family with young kids that want to meet princesses and do lots of Fantasyland, they'd have to start in the MK, but they're also less likely to hop. 

Well that's a problem then, because I HAVE to do fireworks. 

Every time.

No exceptions.

:)

But you don't HAVE to use a FP+ on them.  :raspberry:

Yup, you're right!  And I probably won't.  :)

Since you have to use your 3 FP+'s before you can move on to those virtually unlimited ones, I'm guessing guests are not going to snap up the fireworks FP+'s as part of their 3.

Which, in theory, means that they should be available when you get around to making your 4th.  But, if you use your 4th for fireworks, then you aren't going to get any more FP+'s because you have to use the 4th before there will be a 5th.

So, I think fireworks FP+'s will be there for the taking later in the day.

However, in my opinion, based on our experience, that is a huge waste of a FP+.

TCD

Good post.

But, how can you say you love it if you've never tried it?  Ultimately, all of this mess will be sorted out.  But currently, there are many flaws in the system, and Disney has done a HORRIBLE job communicating about how it all is supposed to work.  As I said, though, we have not seen the final version, and considering how much money Disney has dumped into this new initiative, I do believe that it will one day work way better than it currently does.  As Uncle Lou says- this project is too big to fail.

I've been able to make it work, and will continue to use what they give me to maximize our park experience.  But so far, the new system is not better than the one it replaced, and I have to strongly disagree that it offers a lot more than what was available before.  That has not been true for me at all.  In actual practice,  to date, it offers a lot less.  A lot.

TCD

It offers allot more based on, now you don't have to run for FPs as soon as you enter the park. You have the option to get to the park at rp and hit a few attractions as a family or sleep in a bit because you already have 3 FPs before you even arrive at the park. The old system you had to split your party up and one runs for a single FP while the others hit another attraction. Then, you would have to run to another attraction a few hours later to get another FP and so on. With the new system, you make 3 selections to begin with and then visit a nearby kiosk to make another FP anywhere on property once you use the original 3. To me, that sounds allot better than rushing to DHS hoping there are FPs left only to find there are none. You can see if there are any while still in the MK. If there aren't any, you can choose to visit another park. If there are, you can lock them in right there and take your time to get to DHS.

There are also FPs for fireworks, parades, and restaurants. These did not exist with the old system. Although you do not utilize these options, others will and do. So it opens up more. 

And for the fear of no FPs available for you when you get there day of. Disney divvies the FPs up. They leave some available for day of selections and do not give out their entire inventory online. So, you may not get THE FP you want, but you will be able to get something. But lets be real, even with the old system, certain FPs were all given out by noon anyway. Nearly EVERY attraction on property now has FP options compared to a select few with the old system. So there is more to choose from. Again, you may not get what you want, but you will be able to get something.

Again, you may not get what you want, but you will be able to get something.

That's the problem.

Your last sentence is Disney's defense of this new system.

Before you defend it so much, you really ought to experience Epcot and DHS with the tiered attractions.

Before FP+, we could easily ride RNRC and TSMM each two or three times per daily visit with Fastpasses. Even on the busiest of days. Now, we have no hope of doing that.  We get one FP+ for one of those attractions.  Even with the 4th FP, I don't hold out much hope that there will be any chance of a TSMM FP+ being available after noon on any busy day.  Same deal at Epcot.  You have to pick Soarin' or TT.  You get to ride one once.  Maybe if you're lucky, and it's not too busy, you will get one of those as your 4th FP.  But, you're going to have to ride Captain EO and Journey to Imagination or something along those lines first to get the chance.

Big deal- they added FP+ to the Teacups, and Laugh Floor, and Captain EO and The Muppets show.  Whoop De Doo.  Those attractions, and all the other new FP+ attractions were all walk-ons before MDE came along.  So now I get a FP+ for one of those instead of for a headliner.  And that's better how?

To me, that sounds allot better than rushing to DHS hoping there are FPs left only to find there are none. You can see if there are any while still in the MK. If there aren't any, you can choose to visit another park. If there are, you can lock them in right there and take your time to get to DHS.

I wish it worked like this. But, according to the blog post and the comments after it, guests have to book their 4th and subsequent FP+'s at the kiosks in the park. You can't book a DHS FP+ while you're in the MK. So, you DO have to go there to find out that the good FP+'s are all gone.

I do agree with you that it's nice that you don't have to run to get your FP's. But, I'd rather run and get to do more than sit and run out of stuff to do in a park.

TCD

Starting Monday, April 28th, after you use your three FP+'s, you can visit a kiosk and get a 4th. After you use that one, you can have another, etc.

And you may hop to another park to do so.

TCD

This shirt was just posted by a blogger I follow (he used to write for chip and co)

E8BFA698-B98A-4602-8782-5C39DEEF1B9C-117

He says it is a new shirt at mouse gears. I find the announcement of FP+ and hopping and this shirt interesting. I would assume it takes a while to start cranking out merchandise, which makes me think that this addition of park hopping wasn't a result of surveys, but something that was planned all along.

We have used the My Magic+ and have not been overly impressed.  We attempted to book fast passes for toy story mania from home on the first day we were allowed to and couldn't get anything anywhere near the time we requested.  We checked every day including after arrival and were never able to get the time we wanted.  Ended up going 1st thing in the morning and jumping in line, only to hear someone say they had booked fast passes for 10am the night before.  I would be more impressed with the passes without the tiering.  To be honest we only booked three because we had to choose three, we rarely used more than two and on our trip folks were waiting up to 45 minutes for a free kiosk.  So far, I think we'll just get up early to get in front of the crowd and wing it from there.

I am wondering if you have to book three...can you just do 1 at a time in the park?  Call me old fashioned, but I like to be a bit spontaneous besides the fact that my autistic son does not understand the concept of plan ahead.  When he gets up and flashes his Tower of Terror card, that is where we go.

He says it is a new shirt at mouse gears. I find the announcement of FP+ and hopping and this shirt interesting. I would assume it takes a while to start cranking out merchandise, which makes me think that this addition of park hopping wasn't a result of surveys, but something that was planned all along.

I am sure that they had plans to allow for park hopping all along. I also think that the 3 FP+ limit was never intended to last forever. They went ahead and announced the 4th FP+ just as the complaints from guests were becoming overwhelming-just in time to hopefully defuse the situation for guests planning summer trips.

I am sure there are lots of plans- they just haven't let the paying customers know.

We attempted to book fast passes for toy story mania from home on the first day we were allowed to and couldn't get anything anywhere near the time we requested.  We checked every day including after arrival and were never able to get the time we wanted.  Ended up going 1st thing in the morning and jumping in line, only to hear someone say they had booked fast passes for 10am the night before.

Well, here's your answer explaining how that happened:

And for the fear of no FPs available for you when you get there day of. Disney divvies the FPs up. They leave some available for day of selections and do not give out their entire inventory online.

Isn't that great? The folks who don't plan get FP+'s that Disney withheld from the guests who planned ahead.

And Disney is proud of this.

Disney CM's think it's wonderful.

The problem with this whole mess is that there are a finite number of FP's that can be distributed for each attraction for each day. If they give out too many, the standby lines become unacceptably long. So, there are only so many FP's that can be issued. Under the old system, they were disturbed on a first come, first served basis. If you wanted to make the effort and get there early, you could get a FP. Actually, you could get a lot. People who slept in or who didn't have a plan were out of luck. Now, Disney has reshuffled the deck. Early planning doesn't necessarily yield better results. Disney can and will hold back FP's for their own purposes. This opens the door for them easily treat certain guests better than others. Just the way Walt would like to see it done. Not.

But it looks like it says Fadtpass Pro.

Shouldn't it day Fastpass +?

Did he find it on sale?

Maybe they're trying to get rid of them. To make room for the new shirts...it's going to read.

"If you like your old paper fast passes you can keep them." Lol

I've never heard of Fastpass Pro. I think they're just trying to be cute.

I've also never heard that quote- very funny. And that about sums up management's attitude toward guest complaints.

TCD

I agree as everyone else, it's great to see more flexibility in the FP+ system. However, I really didn't mind the 3 pre-planned FP+ system. I guess I say this since we are now AP holders and don't spend an entire day in one park. I think the FP+ multi park option is a home run. IMHO 3 FP's at Epcot are more than enough unless they let you ride TT or Sorin more than once and on the same day. Even HS have not been that bad with 3 FP. Now, if you can do for instance your first 3 passes at MK in the am then go to the other parks and kiosk more FP's as you use them, that would be a huge plus, but as others have said, I'm sure the availability after 12:00 is going to be slim pickings. I wish they would just put the old nelly FP machines back where you could just scan you MB at the kiosk, first come, first serve