To Hell and back on the Disney Fantasy

The title is not an assessment of the cruise, we actually did go to Hell. I've been told to go there many times during my life time, but this time I was able to go.

For those that have visited Grand Cayman, you may know what I'm referring to. There is a village on Grand Cayman called Hell. In addition to being able to mail post cards with a Hell post mark, the high point of Hell is a sleazy little gift shop shown below. We didn't buy anything.

It's called Hell because of the hellish looking rock formations visible in the background in the second photo. That's me on the right, not in the middle.

We also visited the Grand Cayman Turtle Farm where they raise sea turtles in captivity and then release them. As an animal person, I found it very interesting.

As for the cruise, it was great as usual.

The ship, the food, the Crew, were all impeccable. The time flew by. We were very busy with the activities on and off the ship, very little down time.

Cru10_zps570b5d4f.jpg

Cru4_zps0e58c13d.jpg

We went with the couple in the photo. It was a bit of a gamble because I didn't know them. Gail had recently been reunited with a long lost cousin that she hadn't seen in decades. It turns out they have a winter home in Central Florida, who knew? They got along so well at a recent reunion that we decided to invite her and her husband on the cruise. They were real nice and down to earth. We had a great week together

Cru8_zpsd766d154.jpg

While in Grand Cayman, Gail tried to pick up this guy. Looks a little stiff to me.

Cru2_zps054dd71b.jpg

On to Cozumel.

My wife decided to put my life in jeopardy and booked glass bottom kayaking and snorkeling. Hmm, maybe she has an ulterior motive. Can you tell that I'm having a blast.

What you can't see is the 100mph winds that kept blowing us out to sea. They had to cut it short because of the high winds. Maybe next time wifey.

We snorkeled afterwards. Go ahead honey, you can do it, she says. Uhh, sweetheart, have you forgotten that I can't swim? She said no. So it's off to 30 foot deep water. I got even with Gail, I made it back alive.

Cru1_zpsbccd2de4.jpg

So I somehow survived deep sea kayaking and snorkeling, and it's off to Castaway Cay, the Disney island.

I made it a goal that I would come back with another Mickey medal, just as I did on our cruise on the Disney Dream, 2 years ago. It was getting late though, only 2 days left. Come to find out they were having a 5K race on the island. I hate those silly things, what a complete waste of my time, but I decided to do it only because they were giving out Mickey medals to everyone that participated. That was my last chance.

I did it and we finished in front of a lot of people, but I hated every minute of it. What I won't do to show up TCD.

Booyah, two, count them, two.

Cru6_zps4058ea56.jpg

And of course we can't forget the towel creatures. This was our favorite.

Cru9_zpse37f31de.jpg

Even though the dining in the main dinning rooms was superb, we were blown away by our experience at Palos.

We arrived and were shown to the Captain's table, yup his table. It's his favorite restaurant, after all, he is Italian. It was a huge round table located out of the way in a corner alcove. He had to cancel that night, so they knowing that I was onboard, offered it to me. After all our cabin was directly behind the bridge. Not only did we get his table, but got treated like the captains of the ship.

The waiter was amazing. He selected courses for the table that just kept coming all night long. We all said it was the most amazing dinning experience, ever. We tipped the waiter what we thought was proper for what we got, but after thinking about it, we all went back the next morning, requested that he come out, and tipped him again. It was that good.

The next day, I'm waiting for an elevator, the doors open, who do I see, the ship's Captain. Just him and I making small talk. I forgot to thank him for the use of his table.

Bottom line, it was a great week.

While on the ship we booked an Alaskan cruise on the Disney Wonder for next year. We'll be joined by two prominent Fiends.

I'll let him divulge who it is.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I did not mean to take us to Alaska vicariously through a trip report.  I meant, quite literally, TAKE US WITH YOU TO ALASKA.  

So cool. I knew you wouldn't let us down.

Ray was having doubts that you would post anything about your cruise.

My guess is since I asked on the I am thread, you like me more than him.

Oh and on Monday when we were sitting in our basement as the tornadoes went around us, I kept thinking we could have been on a cruise right now.

Wow!! Very cool Lou!

Thanks, it was.

Sounds like an awesome trip! It was great meeting you today. I really can't wait to hear about the Alaskan cruise!

The pleasure was all mine.

Short, Sweet and to the point. Glad you had a good time!

Thanks

So you won't read them but you wrote one?  

Oh, and take us with you to Alaska.  

Do you think it qualifies as a trip report? It's kinda short.

I'll leave the Alaska TR to Dave (Grumpy).

I'm glad to hear Hell wasn't describing your trip!! Thanks for sharing Lou

Although it was near Hell, it wasn't.

Sounds like so much fun! Good job on the medal AND not drowning. 

PS- Ray has done an excellent job filling in for you. 

Not drowning was a major accomplishment.

I wonder how many people Ray ticked off?

I did not mean to take us to Alaska vicariously through a trip report.  I meant, quite literally, TAKE US WITH YOU TO ALASKA.  

The more the merrier. All it takes is money.

I can go to hell about ten minutes from my house

You got ripped off.

I don't understand why they limit calling that one small area of Michigan, Hell?

Nah, didn't annoy me.

That's not a good review, Ray.

As much as you annoyed me this past week, the Busnut is still in another league.  

I was born with the ability.

One day I will be able to take the pebble from his hand.

From my cold dead hands.

Cru1_zpsbccd2de4.jpg

So I somehow survived deep sea kayaking and snorkeling, and it's off to Castaway Cay, the Disney island.

You look sooo happy in that boat.....

I'm with DIT.  Alaska is on my bucket list, and if I can have someone take me, I'm in.

I can go to hell about ten minutes from my house: http://www.gotohellmi.com

You got ripped off.

Sometimes MY HOUSE is Hell.  Don't even need the 10 minute ride......