GDF Family weekend TR or maybe just a commercial for a GG at Lake Lanier

Sounds like my girl an d Z fish the same. We went camping last month and she wanted to fish so I bought her the Disney princes rod and reel. She sat down in her camping chair by the water casted perfect. As soon as it hit the water she reels it in. She then looks at me and says Daddy where's the fish? I told her it takes time. She says well I am done lets go ride bikes.

So far looks like a great trip.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Both of you stop it now! Don't make me stop this car and seperate you!

Wow.  Tough looking view.  The closest we have to this is Spruce Run http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/spruce.html#camp .  State park, dry camping but only $20/night.     Yeah, and it l

What a pretty day. Happy belated Mother's Day. It's a good thing the lake wasn't busy with boating around with no clothes on. I hope you put on sunscreen.

0E1F92B5-BE20-40B1-AAF0-E15462695EAF.jpg

Wow.  Tough looking view.  The closest we have to this is Spruce Run http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/spruce.html#camp .  State park, dry camping but only $20/night.

What's that you got on your hot dog?  Cheese?

Yeah, and it looks like provolone.  Yummy.

AE844985-3645-444E-BC54-01EB27F2DC13.jpg

BACON!

We beached the boat. Man, it needs a bath!

65FEC262-EF18-4325-8ED5-7968B3F535F5.jpg

That's a lot of bacon. Mama Deuce wouldn't make that much for me.  Jason and Z are two lucky guys.

Check it.  You can navigate a boat but can't drive in 1.5 inches of snow....LOL

Lovin' me some lake trip report! Spent about 15 years in the waters of Smith Mountain Lake in VA... until my 2nd parents sold their house and "water toys" there several years ago...

Those campsites are AWESOME!

Lovin' me some lake trip report! Spent about 15 years in the waters of Smith Mountain Lake in VA... until my 2nd parents sold their house and "water toys" there several years ago...

Sounds like my girl an d Z fish the same. We went camping last month and she wanted to fish so I bought her the Disney princes rod and reel. She sat down in her camping chair by the water casted perfect. As soon as it hit the water she reels it in. She then looks at me and says Daddy where's the fish? I told her it takes time. She says well I am done lets go ride bikes.

Awesome story.

The twins will still break out their Tweety Bird fishing poles every now and then.

TCD

That's a nice tritoon.

What's do you have pushing it?

I was trying to figure out the make.

We have a Crest Deluxe III 25'

We love it. I had a Sea Ray 210 bow rider. But we rented a pontoon one weekend and put the sea ray for sale on Monday.

You know what they say... Once you go pontoon, you never go back. Lol

Ray, you're asking me dude questions.... Here's what I know... It's a 25 foot Odyssey with an inboard/outboard engine. It goes faster than most pontoons, a good bit faster. We love our pontoon. There's plenty of room to spread out, and we can still pull a tube (we could pull a skier but we don't ski). 

Lucky you, Jason answered my text before I posted. It's a 4.3 Mercruiser v6 with 300 hp. I feel like a genius after typing that. 

What a beautiful lake.

Lake Lanier is very pretty! 

Z looks like he's have an awesome time.

Breakfast looked great. BACON!!!

Did you cook the eggs in the BACON grease?

Yummy!!!

Ray, I'm a Fiend... of course I cooked the eggs in the BACON grease. Come on!

I'm trying to run my post count up so I keep posting separate thoughts.

The more I see a picture of Jason the more familiar he looks.

He is either from oklahoma, the jorts and crocks lead me to believe this is true.

Or he just has one of those faces.

Increasing your post count and my comment numbers... good work. 

Jason is from GA, same town where we live. I don't think he's been to OK, but I could be wrong. 

Hammock and lake view, jealous!

It was perfect. 

mmm...motorboatin.  

And now I'll have that song in my head all day. 

Yep, that sums up Z fishing quite well. It was a great trip!

Did you do some jumpin off the back?

Don't act like you don't want to.

I do jump off the back and so does Z, but it was too cold for that this trip. 

Wow.  Tough looking view.  The closest we have to this is Spruce Run http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/spruce.html#camp .  State park, dry camping but only $20/night.

Yeah, and it looks like provolone.  Yummy.

That's a lot of bacon. Mama Deuce wouldn't make that much for me.  Jason and Z are two lucky guys.

Check it.  You can navigate a boat but can't drive in 1.5 inches of snow....LOL

We dry camp for UGA games. It's doable for a weekend. 

Yes, provolone.... yum!

Jason likes what he calls "all day bacon." You should cook enough bacon to munch on all day. 

Ha ha ha about the snow. See, I drive my boat more often than I drive in snow. Plus, you Yankees don't understand 2 factors... 1) We usually have more ice than snow. 2) We don't have plows. 

jmaul wins for today!  :rofl2:

I used to like you. 

You even liked it twice! Booo on selling water toys. Z decided on this trip that he is going to by a boat when he's a Daddy, so we can tie them together and hang out. I love that idea. 

Pontoon Boat.

Tots and Bacon.  On the same plate.

Fishing.

Hammock.

What a great trip!

What, exactly, are those plastic jugs hanging on the emergency sign supposed to be used for?

TCD

Your summary is perfect!

Apparently those jugs are going to save you if you are drowning. You're not confident they'd work? Ha ha

Awesome story.

The twins will still break out their Tweety Bird fishing poles every now and then.

TCD

Love it! 

Jason likes what he calls "all day bacon." You should cook enough bacon to munch on all day. 

Ha ha ha about the snow. See, I drive my boat more often than I drive in snow. Plus, you Yankees don't understand 2 factors... 1) We usually have more ice than snow. 2) We don't have plows.

"All day bacon".  I like that.  Still not sure if it'd go over well in the Maul household.

I did know about the ice & plows, but it didn't make for a good joke.....

Apparently those jugs are going to save you if you are drowning. You're not confident they'd work? Ha ha

I too wondered about the jugs.  Now I am more confused.

Let's continue with Saturday. 

I forgot to mention something pretty important. One of the purposes of this trip was to check out everything on the RV since it had been so long since we'd used it. Everything was in working order. Yay! 

When we left off, we were considering going to Sunset cove for appetizers and a drink. Jason agreed that it wouldn't be crowded, so it would be a good time to go. So we did. 

The lake was still calm. It started raining a bit when we were almost there. 

8C7AEA54-181C-4119-9969-2E394B590D0F.jpg

We beached the boat right here. Usually on a Saturday, these spots are taken much earlier in the day. On this day there were only about 5 boats beached. You can pay $10 a day per person to hang out here. There's also a water park. We're thinking about getting season passes next year when Z is tall enough to ride some good slides. If you're going to the restaurant, you don't have to pay to beach. There are also docks here that you can pay to reserve or are open for free to whoever gets there first when not reserved. 

2A6C7EF9-6403-4CC2-AB37-6D83D955A3F2.jpg

big fire pits

0549DD1C-0715-4D78-BC63-CB5808B12F6D.jpg

Our view from our table

8F2C3A2D-394E-4684-B264-56AD8DB945C1.jpg

Look! Almost Disney prices

63358BBE-28CE-4EF2-833B-216D29B5014C.jpg

There was life music, and the guy was playing great songs. The restaurant was almost empty.... maybe 10 tables out of 60 had people.

Life is good.

DC053999-BA71-4A53-B21C-7B080F8D8298.jpg

We ordered some cheese dip with chili and wings. 

This was delicious! And the chili was real, homemade stuff. 

412618DA-E387-4656-B4F8-04064F77AE7B.jpg

And then something crazy happened! Mr. GaDawgFan ate cheese dip! This has never happened before. He's weird about cheese.

06A31172-FF5E-4EA9-8EB1-459C2879B0DA.jpg

Guess what? He loved it. Silly Jason, missing out all these years. But wait, now Z and I are going to have to share. 

The wings... they were good but not as good as our favorite wing place.

CACB2C82-5B5C-4934-B3F2-2FFBD7EAC2A0.jpg

It started to get really windy at that point, so we headed out. We didn't want to get caught in a storm.

On the way out I took a picture of their full moon party sign. Seems like it's probably pretty crazy. 

62730DAB-19C5-4F7F-9B15-31F22357B928.jpg

After that, we headed back to the campsite, and Z got in the water again.

D8CBD35E-0F67-40EF-B6AB-4E36F0E0D138.jpg

FC58B4A3-531F-4255-B966-798E136A2C6F.jpg

Z started playing with the girl in the next site again. In this picture, she's convincing him that they'll get married. (Little does she know that he already has 1 too many fiances.) 

I took them up to the playground across from our sites. 

EA344335-460C-468A-9D54-5E10B69762C4.jpg

Before long, it was time for dinner!

667CFF3F-7282-4AE9-B4B2-D779387CC801.jpg

Notice that's a bacon cheese burger.

970CC27E-6DAA-4C4A-BFBB-3A596C35A595.jpg

We started another fire.

47A5AF92-7CFA-443B-84F6-4D61F6D4CE93.jpg

And Z swam and swam.

92AADF70-FC0F-43EE-B1C9-ACF74C62E7D8.jpg

Then it was time for smores!

1558CAE1-258B-4EA9-9B10-46E75757171B.jpg

But I make smores like a pro.... no Hershey bar, use a peanut butter cup instead! 

D548BCDC-A2B9-4212-8201-4B398A54A85F.jpg

And 2 marshmallows!

865D5A88-1D87-4917-84A4-4D06C1740495.jpg

We put Z to bed and enjoyed some quiet campfire time. 

809B32CF-9835-41E1-A551-B2B35C1B2C23.jpg

Next up is Sunday. One great thing about these Corp campgrounds on Lanier is that check out isn't until 3 PM. That gives you some time to spend enjoying the lake before you head out. And that's what we'll do on Sunday. It's Mother's Day after all! 

"All day bacon".  I like that.  Still not sure if it'd go over well in the Maul household.

I did know about the ice & plows, but it didn't make for a good joke.....

I too wondered about the jugs.  Now I am more confused.

All day BACON is the way to go! 

It did make for a good joke. I'll give you that. 

The jugs are a flotation device apparently. There is some foam inside them. Jason checked when we were laughing about them. 

Lovin the food pics.  Spotted the all day bacon on the burger right away.

Gonna try the peanut butter cup s'mores this weekend when we hit the county campground.  Thanks for the tip...would never have thought of it.

Hey, how about some all day bacon on the s'mores?

No more comments on jugs, as per DIT.  Least not in this thread.....

Caught up finally.

That is a great looking campground, I need to see how close that is to us. I can see a long weekend trip there for us.....

My second love (a close second to camping) is boating. There is nothing better than an early morning, or late evening boat ride when the water is like glass. Perfect time to trim it up a little more than normal and take a nice cruise.

Lovin the food pics.  Spotted the all day bacon on the burger right away.

Gonna try the peanut butter cup s'mores this weekend when we hit the county campground.  Thanks for the tip...would never have thought of it.

Hey, how about some all day bacon on the s'mores?

No more comments on jugs, as per DIT.  Least not in this thread.....

I stole the peanut butter cup idea from somewhere.... it's tasty! 

I figured the jugs would start a bunch of comments. 

Great pictures the only thing wrong is we all were not there to enjoy them also.

Right? We need a Lake Lanier GG!

For putting out a fire maybe?

ETA: just saw you put what they are really for. Would have never guessed.

I'm not sure why they don't just have a ring like most places. 

What's that on the grill with the burgers-some kind of brats?:

667CFF3F-7282-4AE9-B4B2-D779387CC801.jpg

TCD

It's funny you should ask about the sausages. Jason threw them on the grill, but they're actually Italian sausages with cheese in them that I was going to put in a pasta dish this week at home. He said he didn't care and insisted it would be out the same. It wasn't. I teased him about it all night and made jokes that were funny then, but don't seem so funny now. 

Caught up finally.

That is a great looking campground, I need to see how close that is to us. I can see a long weekend trip there for us.....

My second love (a close second to camping) is boating. There is nothing better than an early morning, or late evening boat ride when the water is like glass. Perfect time to trim it up a little more than normal and take a nice cruise.

I agree about the boating! For me being on the water is therapeutic. The weather actually turned out to be great for us. We had a peaceful day Saturday and a sunny Sunday. 

PB cup smores.

Brilliant

Right? I admit I stole it from someone. I just don't remember who. 

Okay, you got me.  I just grabbed a sugar free peanut butter cup.

Peanut butter cups are GOOD. 

Let's continue with Saturday. 

FC58B4A3-531F-4255-B966-798E136A2C6F.jpg

I can't let this picture go by without a comment...  Now we all know that Z is and will always be "The Man", but if I were to provide a caption for this picture, it would read:

"I bet you can't guess what I doing now...?"