A Shining New Era is Tiptoeing Nearer for the TCD Gang

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a photo that makes me smile.   The backstory on this is that one of Twin #2's roommates ended up being a "friend of" Stitch.  She told Twin #2 to come visit her in Tomorrowland one day, and the

Leia is definitely following you. At least it is the 1983 version following you and not the 2014 version.

I'm in...  page 5 ?    I need to stop working and spend more time here...   Thanks for the princess photos. 

I vote you must try the craBless craBcake. Take one for the team.

I second that!  DIT has to do it for the team!

BTW- you spelled CraB'less wrong.  Don't forget the apostrophe!

Just leave some for our November trip! We will be there the last week. I'm hoping everyone goes there before then ;)

I will leave you plenty of all the CraB'less  stuff.

Too early for dessert? Cray!

Good point.  Poor choice of words on my part.

Who...me or TCD??  Cause if you all want to fund a weekend trip for me to F&W, I'd be happy to choke that crap down and give a report.  

This sounds like a good idea.

There should be a way we could make this happen.  Since you are not paying for it, then we get to pick your accommodations and plan your itinerary.  Are you OK with sleeping on Lou's couch?  I need to start making a list.  Let's see . . . I'm going to need to get a Snow White dress and wig that Lou can wear.   I'll need to get a bunch of re-ride paper FP's for the Little Mermaid ride.  Some Starbucks gift cards.  What else?

TCD! (Sorry)

Oh.

Then I retract my vote.

TCD

There should be a way we could make this happen.  Since you are not paying for it, then we get to pick your accommodations and plan your itinerary.  Are you OK with sleeping on Lou's couch?  I need to start making a list.  Let's see . . . I'm going to need to get a Snow White dress and wig that Lou can wear.   I'll need to get a bunch of re-ride paper FP's for the Little Mermaid ride.  Some Starbucks gift cards.  What else?

You need to get someone to dress like a shrub and hide in the corner. Maybe only come out around nap time and crouch around the couch.

If it got me to WDW, then fine....I'll sleep on Lou's couch, walk around the MK with Lou in a Snow White dress, ride Under the Monkey's Butt and drink some Starbucks. 

You need to get someone to dress like a shrub and hide in the corner. Maybe only come out around nap time and crouch around the couch.

Ok....I gave you an up arrow for this post even though I now have you on my watch list. 

And to think we share the same state. 

If it got me to WDW, then fine....I'll sleep on Lou's couch, walk around the MK with Lou in a Snow White dress, ride Under the Monkey's Butt and drink some Starbucks. 

This plan is coming together nicely.  I guess before we go too much further, I need to ask Lou about how he feels about all of this. I'm pretty sure he'll be OK with the dress, but Gail may not go for having DIT as a house guest.  All of the hallucinating and ohanaing may be too much for the dogs.

TCD

I just want to go on record as loving this plan.

Great.

So, all we need is the OK from Lou, and we are good to go.

DIT can hitchhike down.  If he brings his Elsa dress, he should be able to wear it and panhandle for money in exchange for photos with kids.  That will give him enough cash to cover a few Food and Wine items.  One of the TCD twins can get him into Epcot for free. 

So, it looks like we are almost all set.

TCD

I have some more bonus content from the Food and Wine Festival, so let's get busy.

We ate our Crispy Pork Belly over here, beneath the shade of this oak.  We had a pretty good view:

92214058_zpsa7abb4ee.jpg

They built a nice seating area for the Brazil booth, but it is in the direct sunlight in the afternoon.  That will be nice in the evening, or when the weather cools off, but it's not very inviting now:

92214059_zps0ecda396.jpg

Since the Brazil booth now is where the Belgium booth used to be, the Belgium booth has been relocated just down the way a bit.  As you can see, they also had zero customers early in the day on Monday:

92214060_zps5ee79bd6.jpg

The Belgium menu is on the page right above the Brazil menu that I posted in the last update.  I recommend the Potato and Leek waffle.  It doesn't sound good, but it is.  I chose not to stop for one today, but I will get by there on a future visit for sure.

The next item I was interested in was next to the America pavilion, so we passed the Morocco and Japan booths, and headed toward America.

There was definitely more sun than clouds, and it was getting to be noon, and it was hot.  We were doing good with time, and I suggested to Twin #1 that we take a nice break in the air conditioned comfort of the American Experience.  The sign outside said the next show would be in ten minutes, so we headed in.  We felt the blast of cold air as we entered.  God Bless America!  It was nice in that waiting area.  We found a bench and enjoyed it.  As we sat, we reviewed and ultimately revised our plans.  Twin #2 was going to finish with work over at DHS at 2:30.  The original plan was that she would then change and take the boat over to Epcot and meet us here.  That would get her there at 3:30 at the soonest.  We needed to leave to pick up her car at the shop sometime between 4 and 5:30 pm.  And then we were going to come back to Epcot for more Food and Wine.  That was too complicated.  Instead, we decided that Twin #1 and I would finish up here at Epcot, and then head over to DHS and pick-up Twin #2 when she was done at around 2:30.  Maybe we could all take a final ride on the Backlot Tour, and then go and get her car. Then go to Epcot.  That was the new plan.

After coming up with the new plan, we decided not to stay for the America Adventure show, and to go ahead and finish our lap around the World Showcase instead. 

So, we popped back out into the heat, and headed to the Hops and Barley booth right outside.  Here's what they had to offer:

2014foodandwine005_zps03e31b93.jpg

That Baked Lobster Alfredo caught my eye the first time they announced it, and I knew it was something I needed to try.  And here it is:

92214061_zps893b83d1.jpg

That dish is another winner.  It's nowhere near as good as Mo's lobster macaroni and cheese, but it's still really good, and I intend to have it again.

When we were sitting and revising our plans, Twin #1 noticed something in the passport that she wanted to try.  It was the coffee drink listed at the bottom right here:

2014foodandwine006_zps8e4a32dd.jpg

The sign on the booth had the price covered up. I wondered what the original price was, but when I tried to peel that white tape off, the CM caught me, so I don't know:

92214062_zps964f98c7.jpg

Somehow, I didn't end up with a photo of the coffee drink, but I did get a photo of the giant pink things they call donuts here:

92214063_zps4881cf03.jpg

After that, we continued our march.  We didn't stop at Germany on this lap.  Which means that there are no photos of me eating a long, skinny sausage.  For now, anyway.

Here's the Singapore booth:

92214064_zpscbb0d882.jpg

This is what they serve there:

2014foodandwine007_zps4f5e569d.jpg

Both of the food items there sound good.  But, we didn't stop.  We were both pretty full at this point, and there was one more new thing that I wanted to try.  So Singapore had to wait.

You know that when I see something interesting, I have to get a photo.  These two guys were interesting.  They are showing off the guns and tats, but they have mouse ears and were getting something carved by the wood carver,  which I can't say I've ever seen before:

92214065_zps157e35ec.jpg

92214066_zps93d1c4cb.jpg

All I can say about that scene is that it was very odd. 

Moving on.

Here's the Africa booth- their offerings are on the same page as Singapore, above:

92214067_zps1da32026.jpg

I might try one of those items.  As you can see, they had no line at this particular time, either.

Next, we walked past the Korea booth.  I tried the Kimchi Dog there last year, and really am not interested in having another.  The other item they offer is a lettuce wrap with roast pork and kimchi slaw.  I might try that, but it's not something I'm in a hurry to do.

The China booth came next- they were a little busy:

92214068_zpsf25dfe18.jpg

And then we got to Norway.  We needed to take some time here, as it will be closed at the end of this week, and some of the things that are here now are going to be gone forever.  Somehow, I think the Stave Church will stay:

92214069_zpsa2ef2a25.jpg

I think Akerhus will stay:

92214070_zps7d121f7e.jpg

But, this is going to be gone.  We planned to ride Maelstrom today, but I had FP+'s to do that later when we were all together.  We thought about riding standby now since we were here, but the standby time was 25 minutes:

92214071_zps254f2c93.jpg

I don't remember ever seeing this sign, nor do I remember ever getting wet on Maelstrom:

92214073_zps3e3c67b8.jpg

I think the standby time was longer than 25 minutes, as the line was out the door:

92214074_zps10d0f4bf.jpg

This dude apparently took that you might get wet warning very seriously:

92214075_zps34112787.jpg

Our next stop was going to be our final food stop for this first lap around the Food and Wine Festival.  I wanted to try the Griddled Yard Bird at the Farm Fresh booth:

2014foodandwine008_zpsb0b5dd6a.jpg

There were two cashiers working the line there, and they were joking about the yard bird, and saying how nobody knew what that was.  The CM who helped me said she was telling everyone that it was antelope:

92214076_zps5fcbc169.jpg

Neither the passport or the sign posted at the booth told guests what yard bird is:

92214077_zpse26792fe.jpg

I was surprised when the twins told me that they had never heard of it either. 

I don't know where I heard the term before, but I knew yard bird was chicken.  I thought everyone knew that, but apparently a lot of people don't.  This booth may have a problem on their hands.

This is the yard bird:

92214078_zps06ccda35.jpg

I believe that is a boneless chicken thigh.  And you see that red sauce there?  That's the habanero sauce. 

We took the yard bird over to our favorite secret hide away in Epcot.  The porch of the stave church:

92214079_zps08dd3177.jpg

The ledge there makes a perfect yard bird shelf:

92214080_zps96b56684.jpg

Now about that yard bird.

I LOVED it.  The chicken was good.  The sauce was great.  Kind of like a very hot buffalo chicken sauce, but not as greasy.  And the greens?  Great!  I still think it's strange that I like greens as much as I do, considering I grew up in New Jersey, and never even saw greens until well past my 18th birthday. Anyway, this is my new favorite dish in the entire Food and Wine Festival.

As some of you may know, I hate giant strollers.  No, actually, I hate the idiots who bring giant strollers into the Disney parks.  Like these people:

92214081_zps881ad7b9.jpg

Seriously?

Why is that necessary?

After the chicken, it was time to go.

That blue sky and sunshine was about to leave us for good:

92214082_zps4f5a0594.jpg

As we headed around, I noticed signs pointing to a Craft Beer location.  That was new.  We needed to check on that.  It looks like they have set the whole thing up in the old Odyssey restaurant.  I didn't know that.  But, here's the sign on the wall outside:

92214084_zpsde98b907.jpg

This sign told us what they had inside:

92214085_zps3a860fb7.jpg

You don't get too many chances to go in the old Odyssey restaurant.  So, we had to go and check on that.  We will pick it up from there in the next update.

TCD

Great.

So, all we need is the OK from Lou, and we are good to go.

DIT can hitchhike down.  If he brings his Elsa dress, he should be able to wear it and panhandle for money in exchange for photos with kids.  That will give him enough cash to cover a few Food and Wine items.  One of the TCD twins can get him into Epcot for free. 

So, it looks like we are almost all set.

TCD

Now we just need Lou to read this TR....

Hmmm... the Yard Bird was on my maybe list. Guess I'll have to try it. The lobster alfredo is a must. How am I going to eat all this stuff in only 2 days? 

PS- That "stroller" is a bike trailer. 

Going way back...is this the Trip Report where I said I would check on that Jester at Port Orleans French Quarter?

Well even if its not here's what I found.

Nothing

I was in New Orleans two weeks ago, and I walked down Canal to the Ferry landing and guess what?  No Jester.  Evidently they are doing some construction in that area and the jester wasn't there.  After some looking around I found the jester in front of a little tour kiosk.  I took some pictures but there isn't anything new to see so I won't bother posting them.

On another note I asked a few New Orleans natives about the Jester and his little foot prop friend and they all say the same thing, there is no significance to the little pear shaped foot prop and it was probably just something the artist added.

Funny thing is about an hour from my house is a town called Scott, its outside of Lafayette.  Scott claims to be the Boudin capital of the world or something, and has lots of boudin and Cajun food shops right off of I10.  Well guess what's out front of one of the shops, that same exact Jester.  I guess some artist in New Orleans created this thing and people have been using and copying ever since.

That's all I got.

WBI

Now we just need Lou to read this TR....

Hmmm... the Yard Bird was on my maybe list. Guess I'll have to try it. The lobster alfredo is a must. How am I going to eat all this stuff in only 2 days? 

PS- That "stroller" is a bike trailer. 

Keep the yard bird on the maybe list.  It's very good, but it's not very International.  The chicken with the habanero sauce is kind of like a big boneless chicken wing.  I loved it, but it really isn't what the Food and Wine Festival is all about.

I know that's a bike trailer. I used to have one just like it.  In fact, I used to haul the twins around the Fort in it.  But, I never even thought about bringing that giant thing into one of the parks. 

The food all looks great so far.

And a craft beer update is next?

Peer Born!!!

Yes, Craft Beer is next.

Well, actually, we will see the pavilion.  I had to drive, so I didn't have any.

Oooh....I'm hoping to try that pimento cheese dip Saturday night!

I hope you do, and I want to hear about it.  There are some interesting items on the menu here, but we didn't try any.

Craft beer flights and you get inside the Odyssey?  Winning!

As the saying goes, one out of two ain't bad.  Or something like that.

Man I want to ditch my kids and go to Disney.

Who's going to stop you?

Going way back...is this the Trip Report where I said I would check on that Jester at Port Orleans French Quarter?

Well even if its not here's what I found.

Nothing

I was in New Orleans two weeks ago, and I walked down Canal to the Ferry landing and guess what?  No Jester.  Evidently they are doing some construction in that area and the jester wasn't there.  After some looking around I found the jester in front of a little tour kiosk.  I took some pictures but there isn't anything new to see so I won't bother posting them.

On another note I asked a few New Orleans natives about the Jester and his little foot prop friend and they all say the same thing, there is no significance to the little pear shaped foot prop and it was probably just something the artist added.

Funny thing is about an hour from my house is a town called Scott, its outside of Lafayette.  Scott claims to be the Boudin capital of the world or something, and has lots of boudin and Cajun food shops right off of I10.  Well guess what's out front of one of the shops, that same exact Jester.  I guess some artist in New Orleans created this thing and people have been using and copying ever since.

That's all I got.

WBI

Nice work, Nick.

So, that evil pear remains a mystery.  Which makes it even more suspicious.  I hope you got some of that boudin in the boudin capital of the world. The one and only time I've had boudin was when I was served up a piece by the one and only Fiesty in site 114 at the Fort.  And I liked it.

TCD

I had no idea what a yard bird was. Looks good but probably too spicy for me.

Looking forward to the craft beer section. I ate in that restaurant many years ago but can only vaguely recall it. I wish I had taken pictures. But things were so different when we used film, I was definitely more stingy with the picture taking.

That's all I got.

WBI

Is this the shop in Scott you are referring to??

2011-07-12%2B11.06.51.jpg

And THIS is what was inside that container....5 pounds of the most delicious boudin ever.  

2011-07-12%2B11.07.02.jpg

Like I've told you before.....I've spent a lot of time eating my way around that part of Louisiana.