A Shining New Era is Tiptoeing Nearer for the TCD Gang

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a photo that makes me smile.   The backstory on this is that one of Twin #2's roommates ended up being a "friend of" Stitch.  She told Twin #2 to come visit her in Tomorrowland one day, and the

Leia is definitely following you. At least it is the 1983 version following you and not the 2014 version.

I'm in...  page 5 ?    I need to stop working and spend more time here...   Thanks for the princess photos. 

Is this the shop in Scott you are referring to??

2011-07-12%2B11.06.51.jpg

And THIS is what was inside that container....5 pounds of the most delicious boudin ever.

2011-07-12%2B11.07.02.jpg

Like I've told you before.....I've spent a lot of time eating my way around that part of Louisiana.

That's exactly the place I was talking about! You really do know that area.

They are all good but I actually prefer the Best Stop for boudin and cracklins. There is a new place called Billy's Boudin that has the best boudin balls! They put a cube of pepper jack cheese in the middle of the boudin then batter and fry it. The cheese is so gooey and delicious it's a nice change up to normal boudin balls. It's close to Dons so next time you'll have to check it out.

WBI

eewwwwww

I agree.  Never had it, and I don't have any plans to.

You think that's bad?  You should have seen the group of grown men standing around a table, holding full pieces of that boudin and sucking the innards out of the casings.  WAY worse than any picture you've ever seen of TCD eating sausage.  

:barf:

Other than that minor hijack, I'm enjoying this portion of what may be the longest TR to date!

You think that's bad? You should have seen the group of grown men standing around a table, holding full pieces of that boudin and sucking the innards out of the casings. WAY worse than any picture you've ever seen of TCD eating sausage.

WHY did you have to go there?!?!?!

I had no idea what a yard bird was. Looks good but probably too spicy for me.

Looking forward to the craft beer section. I ate in that restaurant many years ago but can only vaguely recall it. I wish I had taken pictures. But things were so different when we used film, I was definitely more stingy with the picture taking.

I don't go around calling chicken yard bird, but I had heard the term used before.  It's kind of surprising that there's nothing posted telling people it's chicken.  They might sell more if people knew that.

I don't remember the Odyssey restaurant ever being open.  We got to go in last year to get our AP MagicBands, and I have peeked in there before when using the restrooms there.  It's a big space that they really ought to put to a better use.

And THIS is what was inside that container....5 pounds of the most delicious boudin ever.  

Like I've told you before.....I've spent a lot of time eating my way around that part of Louisiana.  

Wow.  It's crazy that WBI mentions some obscure place, and you are immediately able to produce photos.  Good job.

Did you have that shipped to you?

That's exactly the place I was talking about! You really do know that area.

They are all good but I actually prefer the Best Stop for boudin and cracklins. There is a new place called Billy's Boudin that has the best boudin balls! They put a cube of pepper jack cheese in the middle of the boudin then batter and fry it. The cheese is so gooey and delicious it's a nice change up to normal boudin balls. It's close to Dons so next time you'll have to check it out.

WBI

Boudin Balls?  Now that's something I've never heard of.  I think I've said before the only places I've been in Louisiana are the air port an N'awlins.  Some day, I'll need to venture out.

You think that's bad?  You should have seen the group of grown men standing around a table, holding full pieces of that boudin and sucking the innards out of the casings.  WAY worse than any picture you've ever seen of TCD eating sausage.  

That sounds pretty bad.

And it's funny you should mention a photo of TCD eating a sausage. 

I think I mentioned that there is going to be a second lap around the World Showcase.  You may wish to stop viewing this thread.

I agree.  Never had it, and I don't have any plans to.

:barf:

Other than that minor hijack, I'm enjoying this portion of what may be the longest TR to date!

Boudin is just like sausage with rice in it..  It's actually very good.

This is not yet the longest TR to date.  But it is getting there.

WHY did you have to go there?!?!?!

Fair warning:  we are going back there.

That's what I was thinking! That's crazy.

That bike trailer is still smaller than a lot of the gigantic strollers I see.  These clearly violate Disney's rules, yet they let people in with them.  There's no way those giant things don't block foot traffic and create hazards, but Disney lets it go.

I blame Delsa. 

Your multiple personality disorder comes in handy.

That's good stuff

Agreed.

TCD

Hmm, that just looks horrible. I'm glad I saw this early and not around lunch time   

Nope....actually went to the place myself.  I was underwriting a deal in Rayne...just a tad west of Scott.  

Was the 5 lbs. of boudin all for you?

I'm stoked for your craft beer dissertation. It's Friday morning, but 5 o'clock somewhere. Your selections will all be measured against the Bud light platinum I had last night. :)

Surprisingly, your Bud Light Platinum may trump my selections.  Stay tuned, and update is coming before noon.

TCD

Some of you have been waiting to hear about the new Craft Beer destination at this year's Food and Wine Festival.  I have some photos and information to share, but I am sorry to break it to you that I did not imbibe.  I didn't even realize this venue was here, and had not planned for it.  Our revised plans called for us to be heading out of Epcot and over to DHS.  And, most importantly, this was a day trip which meant I would be driving back home later, and I have been pretty vigilant about setting a good example of not drinking and driving for the TCD daughters.  And by not drinking, I mean not even having the proverbial one or two beers, because we know where that sometimes goes.  But, I definitely plan to go back.

Here's what they have in there:

2014foodandwine009_zps52cb29b0.jpg

Note that you get the snack mix free with a beer purchase.   Some of the other items sound interesting.  Pickled carrots anyone?

Here's what the inside looks like:

92214086_zps5b83beff.jpg

As you can see, it's a big open room with tables to stand around.  Notice the beer motif they used in the decorations.  The most important feature is the air conditioning!  It was blasting, and it felt good on a this hot and humid first day of fall.

Over on the far walls of the room, there are long padded benches, which are really sweet:

92214087_zps80129edf.jpg

Twin #1 and I headed back there and took a chill break to update Twin #2 of our location and ETA at DHS.

As you can see from the photos, the room was a little crowded on what was not a real busy day.  There was a CM at the door with one of those hand-held counter things, keeping track of how many people were entering.  I imagine that they have a limited number of guests they allow in at a time.  Which means that there may be a wait to get in on busy days.  If that is true, that would be below average.  But, I think that's exactly what is going to happen.  Especially on hot days.

From here, we headed on out of the park.

There's one more page of the passport I need to share.  This completes our counter-clockwise lap around the World Showcase.  Terra is booth #1, and if you think I was kidding about the CraB'less CraBcakes, I wasn't:

2014foodandwine010_zpse96c2e4b.jpg

Please note that the Blackened Chick'n Breast is marked as a vegetarian dish as well.  There is some crazy stuff going on at that booth.  And I'm not just talking about the blatant apostrophe abuse.

From Epcot, we headed to DHS.  On the way we stopped at the Hess Express, where they had giant bottles of Smart water on sale for 2 for $3.  They sell those for $6 a piece in the parks.  I've mentioned this place as a go-to place for beer runs.  If you need snacks or drinks at Disney, this is where you want to go.

Then it was on to DHS.  We have free parking with our annual passes, but Twin #1 flashed her Disney ID, and we were directed in to the CM parking lot.  That's where I had dropped Twin #2 off earlier.

We headed back to Wandering Oaken's Trading Post for the last time, and found Twin #2 hard at work:

92214088_zpsd8f4e89e.jpg

This is her last week working there.  It closes on September 27th, and will be relocated to a different place in the park.  She is going to be working there the final day (which is tomorrow!).

There's something else at DHS which is closing tomorrow.  The Backlot Tour.  We wanted to ride that one last time. This was going to be my chance.  So, we headed over there:

92214091_zps7a3c5be5.jpg

I'm not sure when the last time was that we rode this attraction, but it's been a while.  That's probably why it's closing. Not much traffic.

I don't remember these props from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies being here near the entrance, but they are:

92214092_zps6a6007ac.jpg

The last time we rode this, it wasn't this busy.  Today it sure was busy.  Everyone must be paying a final visit:

92214093_zps0b685479.jpg

There's the stars of our show getting briefed:

92214094_zps6119030f.jpg

I was the guy in the engine room once.  But, that was pre-digital camera:

92214095_zpsc098bcd7.jpg

I also got to be the first mate on the boat once.  I wish I could have another shot at that:

92214098_zpsb8f8dea4.jpg

This whole part of the show is kind of entertaining.  Here's bullets hitting the water:

92214099_zps37d23b6a.jpg

When they show the video at the end of this part, it illustrates why this attraction needs to go.  That is some pretty bad computer animation:

92214100_zpsb2e814ea.jpg

I guess this is the last time we get to see Miley's chicken coop:

92214102_zps27ef9f97.jpg

92214104_zps69ee5889.jpg

And, this will also be the last time we get to see the movie props in the queue.  These are from one of the Narnia movies, I believe:

92214105_zps78c541f3.jpg

I don't know what this is or what movie it's from.  Some signage would help:

92214107_zps7e713d8b.jpg

I guess this model helicopter was used in a movie, but I don't know which one, and there's nothing here to tell us:

92214108_zps04186c00.jpg

Here's some more stuff that will probably end up on EBay:

92214109_zps3e16737f.jpg

After we loaded up and were waiting for the door to come down, I noticed that there were CM's riding bikes around backstage.  I know they do this at Animal Kingdom, but not here:

92214112_zps11504364.jpg

Then our tour began, first going by some open warehouses:

92214113_zps98c3f4dd.jpg

Then past some old vehicles:

92214116_zpsb5656c74.jpg

92214117_zpse4dd5b3a.jpg

The old WW II era planes back here now have eyes in the windshields. I guess this is to promote the new Planes movies:

92214118_zpsa865bbec.jpg

The Earful tower used to be the symbol of what was once called Disney MGM Studios, but that was before the BAH:

92214119_zps97b4ec57.jpg

After looping around the planes, and getting a look at the water tower, we drove through the costume warehouses. There were people working today, but the lighting and reflections off the glass didn't lend itself to photos.  There was also a display which had a couple of costumes from the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, but they weren't on our side of the tram, and I didn't even notice that there was a Star Lord costume until we had almost passed it. Twin # saw it and pointed it out to me, but I was too slow on the draw for a photo.  Fail.

Here's a Earful Tower topiary.  I reckon they'll move it out someplace else in the park so guests can see it once they shut down the Backlot Tour.  Or, maybe they'll sell it on EBay too:

92214122_zps57eae58d.jpg

Then we got to what used to be a pretty cool part of the ride- Catastrophe Canyon:

92214123_zps391255b2.jpg

Catastrophe Canyon was looking kind of sad. There are very obvious burn marks where things are going to be catching on fire pretty soon.  And there was no surprise that there was going to be a lot of water coming our way, as everything was dripping as we pulled up, even though the prerecorded narrator told us we were entering a desert area. 

As always, the rain came:

92214124_zps7955a4f0.jpg

Then the fire:

92214125_zps0e51b14b.jpg

And the flood:

92214127_zpsdf492b2a.jpg

And, of course, we had a little bit of an earthquake too.

I like all of this, and I'm sad to see it go, but it's probably time.  I don't think they make movies this way anymore.  Who builds elaborate sets and has all these rain machines and such when it can all be done with computers now?

Still,  as we continued our ride, it made me a bit sad to think that this was the last time I will ever see Catastrophe Canyon.

The next thing we came to is something that I have always enjoyed seeing, and I hope that this was not my last time seeing it.

We will have to save that for the next update, though, as we are at the photo limit for this one.

TCD

Finally!!  The last page :) I kept reading and you kept posting :rofl2: thought I'd never catch up.  But I did..yay.

Sorry about the roommate drama, hope that all has worked out now.  But if the new roomie is a slob, what about the inspections of the apartment!  That'll mess up the other girls' records.

Have heard about another CP reporting under age drinking also.  A mess for her, but termination for the offenders.  The problem is, if it's not reported and alcohol  is found during an inspection, all the inmates of that apartment are held guilty.  At least that is my understanding.

Such fun to read about your girls enjoying their CP time.  Great that they like to work hard.  A lot of times I feel sorry for the college kids, seems like Disney treats them like indentured servants.  Lots of work and docked pay for 1/4 to 1/6 of an apartment.  

Wonder if rules changed, a couple of friends' children did the CP in different years.  We tried to have them stay with us, to save money, but what they were told was, the CP kids had to stay in the Disney apartments.

Try the craB'less craBcake! You have to!

Done.  Please be sure to read the end of the next update.

Finally!!  The last page :) I kept reading and you kept posting :rofl2: thought I'd never catch up.  But I did..yay.

Sorry about the roommate drama, hope that all has worked out now.  But if the new roomie is a slob, what about the inspections of the apartment!  That'll mess up the other girls' records.

Have heard about another CP reporting under age drinking also.  A mess for her, but termination for the offenders.  The problem is, if it's not reported and alcohol  is found during an inspection, all the inmates of that apartment are held guilty.  At least that is my understanding.

Such fun to read about your girls enjoying their CP time.  Great that they like to work hard.  A lot of times I feel sorry for the college kids, seems like Disney treats them like indentured servants.  Lots of work and docked pay for 1/4 to 1/6 of an apartment.  

Wonder if rules changed, a couple of friends' children did the CP in different years.  We tried to have them stay with us, to save money, but what they were told was, the CP kids had to stay in the Disney apartments.

Way to go, Gretchen.  I knew you could do it!

Now, don't go away-there's more to come.

You are correct about how all roommates can by punished for allowing one roommate to violate the rules.  That is harsh, but it's effective too.  This is another good reason for CP CM's to try to meet up with roommates through social media.  Having a wild roommate who doesn't care about getting terminated is a problem.

I am surprised at how much the girls are enjoying themselves, as you are right about how they get treated.  But, the good outweighs the bad, and I think it helps that they know that it is only for one semester.

From what I understand, CP's do not have to live in the housing.  It is strongly encouraged, but they don't have to.  If they choose not to, then they don't get to use the transportation or participate in all of the special activities that Disney organizes for the CP participants.  If the student lived locally (like a UCF student) and had a car, then it wouldn't be too hard to live in private housing.  Otherwise, it would be a pain. They'd have to find housing for just the one semester.  And, I'm sure they would feel left out.  The twins have really enjoyed getting to know their new roommates. They are from all over the US.  At college, their roommates were fellow Florida residents.  At Disney, their roommates are from all over.

I wish movies were still made the old way. I am tired of all the CGI. Late 70's, 80's, and early 90's movies were the best. There are a few new ones that are good to though.

I don't know. Special effects now are so much better than they used to be.  It's interesting to see that they are still building some big mock-ups for the new Star Wars film.  I guess a combination of old and new is best.

Great update!

Looking forward to a craft beer update upon your future return!

Thanks.

There has already been a future return!

But, still no craft beer.  :(

Soon.

TCD