A Shining New Era is Tiptoeing Nearer for the TCD Gang

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a photo that makes me smile.   The backstory on this is that one of Twin #2's roommates ended up being a "friend of" Stitch.  She told Twin #2 to come visit her in Tomorrowland one day, and the

Leia is definitely following you. At least it is the 1983 version following you and not the 2014 version.

I'm in...  page 5 ?    I need to stop working and spend more time here...   Thanks for the princess photos. 

Also. If you look at google maps Disney could put in a foot bridge between POFQ and OKW very easily. And it would probably be as far from POR to POFQ as it would be from OKW to POFQ.

That is the one thing that amazes me about WDW. How few sidewalks there really are. As many of us have noticed through Google Earth, there are lots of locations that are easily walkable if there were only sidewalks.

Especially with as many Europeans that do visit WDW. They walk a lot more than us Americans.

Great detective work!

Thank you.  Sometimes it takes me a while to check on something that I want to check on, but I will get there eventually.

Thanks for explaining. That makes perfect sense.

My friend's daughter that did the CP went out to DL. She grew up in FL and had been to WDW a million times. She was a huge Disney fan, but wanted to experience DL and travel away from home.

The twins talked about going to Disneyland too.  They've never been, and what an adventure that would be.  On the other hand, they've never gotten to live at WDW, and they are so familiar with it that we thought that would work to their advantage.  So far, it has really worked to Twin #2's advantage.  At every location she's worked, she is the go-to expert when one of her fellow CP CM's gets a question from a guest about the parks or transportation, or anything else about WDW.  Her managers have noticed, and she's received some of the corny awards they issue that go into her personnel file.

Even though I've stayed at OKW twice and SSR once, I had no idea they were actually that close to POFQ.  Very cool.  Good investigation!

Too bad.  I think you would enjoy taking a run around POFQ and POR.  Remember the path for the next time!

I'm helping at VBS this week and one of the classes of kids decided to say "hashtag" before every sentence. Hashtag what's the craft? Hashtag can I have the glue? Hashtag thanks. Hashtag where's the glitter? Every.freaking.sentence. God bless their teachers! Thankfully I am only subjected to it for 20 mins.

Too funny!  If the kid is doing it at VBS, he must be doing it at home.  Do his parents talk like that?

Just saw I missed an update while posting. That guy is using a selfie stick. LOL!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2014/06/24/the-selfie-stick-backlash/

OK.  But, he wasn't taking selfies. 

Shorter versions of those sticks are currently all the rage with college kids to use with their Go Pros.

But that guy didn't have a Go Pro, and his pole was - - -

Wait.

I am not going to talk about poles and sticks any more.

We've stayed at POFQ and loved it. Like you said its a compact resort and never seemed busy to us like POR was. We took the boats several times going to DTD and back. But I never noticed that OKW resort was that close either. I do remember that there was a sidewalk on the canal and wondering if it went to OKW. Did you notice that sidewalk?

Yes, I noticed the sidewalk.  It's very nice.  It goes all the way from POFQ to POR, but it dead-ends in the POFQ parking lot.

Here's a map that shows that walkway, and how you can't get to OKW on it.  I've also marked the path, and other things in the vicinity:

resortmap_zps57c6ea85.jpg

How does the CP program work as far as the girls apartment? Is it included or do they have to pay for it? Meals? Etc?

The college program arranges for housing. It's a huge operation, and there are many different options offered to the participants.  There are four large apartment complexes, with different sized units.  All of these are on the other side of I-4, near the Downtown Disney exit, so not on WDW property, but not very far.  The participants can request what type of unit they wish to live in, and can line-up roommates on their own, or let Disney assign them randomly.  With social media, this has become a big deal, with the kids establishing Facebook groups and using other social media to find roommates.  A very comprehensive bus transportation system is part of the deal, and it is possible to do the program without a car.  Technically, participants do not have to live in the Disney housing, but since they're only there for a semester or so, it's much easier to go with the Disney housing.

The participants sign something like a lease which allows Disney to deduct the housing expenses out of their paychecks, and what's left gets direct deposited to their bank account.  So they pay for the housing.  Considering that they are living two or three participants to one bedroom, I think the housing is on the expensive side.  But, the benefit is they don't have to find their own place to live, and transportation is provided if needed.

The apartment complexes are very nice and very well maintained.  They come fully furnished. Even dishes and cooking utensils. They have nice pools and recreation amenities, and 24 hour security, which is very nice.  They are super strict with the rules, including not allowing any alcohol in apartments occupied by under 21 year olds.  They actually conduct inspections, and the participants can be terminated from the program for something as simple as having some beers in the fridge.  They also can discipline CM's if their apartments are messy.  No overnight guests are allowed, which means I can't sleep on the couch.  That is a terminable offense.  But, after some of the experiences my girls have had with some of their college roommates, I am thankful for that rule.

Meals are not provided, but the apartments have full kitchens, and the CP kids can eat at all of the employee cafeterias on property, which have much more reasonable prices than they do for WDW guests.  Plus, they get pretty decent discounts if they want to eat at a regular food service place anywhere on property.

The CP CM's get other perks such as free admission to the parks, and also passes which allow them to bring others into the parks with them for free.

I think there's a minimum number of hours that they have to work each week.  But those working the minimum will not have much money in their paychecks after the housing deduction, so most of the kids work 40+ hours a week.  Twin #2 has discovered the joys of overtime, and has been raking it in pretty good.

The sidewalk you saw is probably the sidewalk connecting POFQ to POR. You CAN walk between those resorts.

I'm honestly surprised they are not connected more.

I'm pretty sure you can walk from OKW to DTD, and from OKW to Saratoga Springs.

I really wish there WAS a good sidewalk between POFQ to OKW.

That was one of my huge breakfast fails one morning. We were staying at POFQ and had a late breakfast reservation at OKW (Olivia's).  I royally messed up. We went to DTD to catch a boat. The boats didn't start running early enough, and by the time we realized that and took a bus, we missed breakfast. Since they don't serve lunch at Olivia's breakfast is a hard close. Rick likes breakfast late, but he wants BREAKFAST. So of course by the time we could get somewhere to eat, it was lunch.

But the irony is, when we were on the bus to DTD, just as we exited POFQ, we could see OKW buildings right there.

That stinks.

Especially since you could have walked from POFQ to Olivia's in 10-15 minutes.

There is no good way to get between those two resorts utilizing Disney transportation.  You're right- you drove right past OKW on your way to DTD.

Breakfast is probably my favorite meal of the day. Rick and I can hang out any time, as long as it's in the morning. Lol.

I looked on google maps and your half right. The sidewalk I was thinking about does connect POR & POFQ. and on the other side of the canal it's part of the golf course. So I was actually thinking/looking at two different side walks. I guess if I was to be technical it's a sidewalk and a cart path.

It looks like you could get to the Treehouse Villas via the golf course.  But, you'd have to walk through the golf course to do that.

TCD

Nice work Andrew.

I wonder if you could have used the extra FP+ even though you still got to ride Dinosaur?

According to the last note there at the bottom of the email, I don't think we could go on something else after we used the FP+ on Dinosaur:

email_zps4853b49b.png

Also. If you look at google maps Disney could put in a foot bridge between POFQ and OKW very easily. And it would probably be as far from POR to POFQ as it would be from OKW to POFQ.

Yes- they could extend the walkway- but they'd have to have a bridge or at least a traffic light for pedestrians to cross Vacation Club Way, which is a very busy road.  They probably don't want to deal with that.

That is the one thing that amazes me about WDW. How few sidewalks there really are. As many of us have noticed through Google Earth, there are lots of locations that are easily walkable if there were only sidewalks.

Especially with as many Europeans that do visit WDW. They walk a lot more than us Americans.

Agreed.

I don't think it would be that bad of a walk from the Fort to POR, but there are no sidewalks at all to allow that.

Also, I'd love to be able to walk or bike from the Fort to the Contemporary Resort.  Getting to Wilderness Lodge is not a problem, but after that, there are no sidewalks and really no safe way to do it.

I have to think that Disney decided that it wasn't worth the liability they'd have if guests were biking and walking everywhere.

I have an issue with the email for FP+. My parents don't have smart phones, so anyone without one is in the dark about stuff like that? I agree texts should be a choice of how to be notified.

The whole MDE thing is pretty unmanageable without a smart phone.  The kiosks that they have in the parks are not convenient. 

We were able to when we were there in July.

Do you mean that you got an extra FP+?  So, you got to use four without having to schedule the 4th at a kiosk?

TCD

I have an issue with the email for FP+. My parents don't have smart phones, so anyone without one is in the dark about stuff like that? I agree texts should be a choice of how to be notified.

Don't worry. Half the time the email never comes anyway.

Don't worry. Half the time the email never comes anyway.

LOL.  Good point.

I know we've been turned away at the Mine Train before, and told by CM's to come back later- but I never got an email, and when I tried to use my FP+ later, I had to push back at the CM who told me I couldn't.

I guess they're doing the best they can.  A billion and a half dollars can only buy so much technology.

TCD

Also, I'd love to be able to walk or bike from the Fort to the Contemporary Resort.  Getting to Wilderness Lodge is not a problem, but after that, there are no sidewalks and really no safe way to do it.

I used to have a map that someone posted online that showed a path he had used to run from FW, to WL, then somehow made it to the TTC and on to the Poly and GF.  I tried it one time when staying at the Fort but couldn't figure out where and how to exit the WL area.  Granted, it wasn't put out there as an "official" path by any means, but just like finding the way from POFQ to OKW, there has to be a way to do it without getting smushed by a bus.

I still maintain that they can and should complete the loop around at least the monorail resorts, and even better if they could include FW in the loop as well.  But they aren't asking me.  No idea why.

Nice update. I love some good investigation :)

Glad you like it.  I've got other things that I will be looking in to on future trips. So there will be more snooping around in future trip reports.

Okay, I did some research on the pear thing and so far found this unhelpful thread on another board: http://www.portorleans.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=648

I knew this would happen if I posted updates to two different TR's at the same time.

That evil pear discussion was in my 4th of July TR, but we stayed in POFQ this trip, and we will be revisiting the evil pear.

And I agree-that thread is no help.  I don't believe the evil pear is just there to hold up the jester's foot.  If it's just there for support, why not make it a ball, or a box, or something other than an evil pear?

I used to have a map that someone posted online that showed a path he had used to run from FW, to WL, then somehow made it to the TTC and on to the Poly and GF.  I tried it one time when staying at the Fort but couldn't figure out where and how to exit the WL area.  Granted, it wasn't put out there as an "official" path by any means, but just like finding the way from POFQ to OKW, there has to be a way to do it without getting smushed by a bus.

I still maintain that they can and should complete the loop around at least the monorail resorts, and even better if they could include FW in the loop as well.  But they aren't asking me.  No idea why.

Oh, I know how to get from the Lodge to the Contemporary, but it involves having to ride or walk along narrow roads, including the one under the water bridge.  Not too safe.  And, you have to go through a CM Only parking lot at the Lodge.

It would be great if they would complete the walkway they once intended to build around the Seven Seas Lagoon. That would be fun to run or walk.

TCD

We left off at the hotel on the afternoon of Sunday, August 17.  Twin #2 had left us to go to work, and we had plans for the evening at DHS.  I had used our own MB's that morning for FP+ reservations, but made separate reservations for two at DHS for the evening on Twin #2's and my oldest daughter's MB's, and we would be using them tonight.  That little trick gave us 3 FP+'s in two different parks on the same day.  If you can ever take advantage of that, do it.

We watched some TV in the room, including the Must Do's with Stacy.  In between that repeating loop, they played commercials for other things guests can do at WDW, including the Wild Africa Trek at Animal Kingdom.  When we watched that commercial, both Twin #2 and I agreed that we knew the Disney tour guide shown in the commercial.  I tried to get a photo of him, but he kept turning his head:

81814048_zps10b77f24.jpg

It may not be clear to you, but it was to us- this is the same CM that we keep running in to at DHS. I just mentioned this in my 4th of July trip report.  We saw this guy leaning against the palm tree across from us at a Star Wars Weekend parade:

51814121_zps5facd774.jpg

And then again working at the Frozen parade:

71914023_zps2d14c07e.jpg

We've also seen him in American Idol, and at the Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special.

He is a hard worker.

In this commercial, he spoke in a very fake African accent.

But, it was him.

I'm going to need to meet this guy some time.

But, we didn't come here to watch TV.  We headed out to DHS.  We took the bus from POFQ.  The bus had passengers already on it when it picked us up, and ended going around all of the POR bus stops on the way out.  That bus must have been coming from somewhere else, as at DHS, there are separate bus stops for FOFQ and POR.

So, we had a bit of a longer ride, but we made it.

We headed to Wandering Oaken's Trading Post to find Twin #2.  There are two separate sections, with separate entrances that she could have been in.  Twin #1 used her Twin-dar, and said we should go in the gift shop section.  So we did, and there was Twin #2, hard at work!:

81814051_zps07605a51.jpg

That store is crazy.

Here's Twin #2 reloading the Elsa dresses. As soon as she did that, the parents circling around swooped in on that pile:

81814052_zps684231c5.jpg

Twin #2 is now in her third week working at that gift shop.  She was asked if she would work at another location next week, and she agreed.  She wanted a change of scenery.  So, next week, she'll be in one of the largest resort gift shops on the property.  After that, she may be back in DHS.

I had lined up FP+'s for Tower of Terror between 6:15-7:15, and then RNRC for 7:15-8:15.  The optimum plan was that we would hit TOT right at 7:15, and then head straight to RNRC and ride it with no wait.

That gave us a little time to play with. 

I thought we had time to draw at the animation class.  It was a super hot afternoon, and I was thinking of things we could do inside.

We knew a class would probably be starting at 6:30, so we tried for that one.  But, this is the line we found in the room next to the entrance for the class:

81814054_zpsa8831225.jpg

So we scratched that idea.

This line went all the way up to the doors leading into the drawing studio. No way would we make the 6:30 class, and maybe not the 7:00 class either:

81814055_zps42d57ee1.jpg

By the way, if you ever want to pop in here for the class, you don't want to go in the main entrance over there:

81814058_zps654bd9f4.jpg

You want to go in the gift shop on the right, and walk in through the exit to the class:

81814056_zpsa27f6139.jpg

So that was a fail.

What now?

I suggested that we eat now.

The plan was to grab something after we rode TOT and RNRC.  But, we had time now.

I suggested one of my favorites.

The pretzel dog.  And, Twin #1 was in.

So here we go:

81814059_zpsfe3d4074.jpg

You can't tell from that photo, but my pretzel dog was loaded with mustard.  Loaded.  Like the mustard guy went crazy.  Twin #1 always asks for her mustard on the side.  Maybe I'm going to need to start doing that.

BTW, in case you're wondering, the no chip trick works, and saves you $2 per dog:

81814060_zps179a4376.jpg

We enjoyed our dogs, and then walked right on to TOT.  It wasn't very busy to begin with, but the last time we were here we got stuck outside for ten minutes in the FP+ line.  Not tonight.

There were a bunch of scared kids on this ride.  I didn't put my hands up so I could see their scared faces.  It worked:

81814062_zps728509d3.jpg

Then it was time for RNRC.  For the first time in forever, they had a new poster in the G Force Studios FP+ entrance:

81814063_zps39e7c62c.jpg

The artwork on that poster deserves a closer look:

81814064_zps274fd951.jpg

Look, Rocket is up there on Groot's shoulder.

Awesome.

If you have not seen Guardians of the Galaxy, what are you waiting for?

I would love to hear the soundtrack.

I think one of the twins bought it.

We got to ride in the very last car, last row, which is always fun.

Twin #2 said we should do the Disney point, so we did:

81814065_zps7bc9cac5.jpg

Then it was time for us to reevaluate our plans.  We had a FP+ for Star Tours, but they were also still seating for the first Fantasmic show.

Since we were here, we opted for Fantasmic.  We also thought we might stay for the Frozen fireworks, but we had been told that it might not be possible to get to a place to watch them in time after Fantasmic.

We got seated on the right side of the theater, closest to the exit.  So, when the show was over, we theoretically would be able to leave before all the people over there:

81814068_zpsb058cdf2.jpg

It always amazes me to see how many people are seated in the Fantasmic theater.  I think it seats 4,000.  All of those people were out in the park with us.  And, there are many more still out there.

Usually, it's dark when we are seated for Fantasmic, but the sun was not quite set for this early show:

81814069_zps8294cdd0.jpg

It did get dark, and the show did start.  It was good, but something was wrong with the big dragon that Mickey is supposed to fight at the end.  As in, there was no dragon.  I hadn't heard that it was broken, but it wasn't there.

Mickey was just fighting smoke and lasers.  I guess people who had never seen the show might not have noticed, but we did.

Then it was time to leave, and we got herded out to the end of Hollywood Blvd, near the entrance.  In front of us, Hollywood Blvd. was almost solid people waiting for the fireworks.  It was hot.  It was crowded. The park exit was right there.

So we left.

And went to our bus stop.   Where only a few folks were waiting.

And our bus came, and we left.

We were happy with that move.

Twin #1 had meant to get an I'm Celebrating button at DHS, but we forgot.

So she got one at the concierge desk at POFQ:

81814070_zps1ade05f7.jpg

That was a fun moment, there were two young men working the desk, and neither was busy, so they had a very long conversation with Twin #1 about how great it is to be a CM, and things she should do to make her experience the best that it can be.  She was on top of the world.

Then we headed back to the room.

Three Gators selfie:

81814075_zpsd20ba3af.jpg

Twin #2 told us that she should be back to the hotel by midnight, and that she was up for getting some ice cream when she got back.

So we hung out in the room until she showed up, and then headed down to the food court for some ice cream.

There was a guy there playing music in the lounge, and he was really good.  It was mostly 70's/80's stuff.

The girls laughed out loud when he played the Pina Colada song.  I don't think they had ever heard of it before, but it is featured in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, so they thought the guy was hip.

I don't think I've posted a photo of the creepiest giant head in the quick serve restaurant.  This is it:

81814078_zpsd97fbc96.jpg

You can't tell the size of it in that photo, but it's huge.

The twins wanted to have a creepy face making contest, and they posed in front of that giant head.  I actually had to get down on the floor, and shoot up.  I was hoping to get the giant head in the background, but I failed.  Twin #2 definitely won the contest, though:

81814079_zps7d824346.jpg

And then we hit the hay.

Tomorrow was a big day for Twin #1.  I set my alarm for 6 am.  She would need to get up that early to get ready, and then we were going to hit the quick serve for when they started to serve the hot breakfasts at 7.  Then, we would be heading out to check her in to the Disney College Program!  A lot would be happening- she'd find out more about her role, and where she would be living, and would be meeting her roommates for the first time.  A big day indeed!

TCD

Next time you see that CM, you have to stop him and talk to him. It's crazy he's in so many places. 

I've now ordered a pretzel dog without mustard twice and both times the pretzel has been split. What about Twin #1's? 

We will be riding ToT AKA the only ride I'm afraid of in April. Please don't make fun of our picture. Oh, and apparently there will be a video too. Joy! I'm not sure how Z's face will look, but I might be crying. But how do you tell your cute 5 year old you won't ride a ride he REALLY wants to? You don't. 

Love the celebration button!

No more scary faces. 

Next time you see that CM, you have to stop him and talk to him. It's crazy he's in so many places.

You're right. I do. I at least need a selfie with him.

I've now ordered a pretzel dog without mustard twice and both times the pretzel has been split. What about Twin #1's?

I don't think hers was split. Here's a photo that I swiped from here Facebook page:

pretzeldog_zps46c4848a.jpg

Oh, and while I was swiping photos, I swiped this one too- this is from our lunch at the quick serve at POFQ on Sunday, when we first met up at the resort:

WC_zps04879aeb.jpg

We will be riding ToT AKA the only ride I'm afraid of in April. Please don't make fun of our picture. Oh, and apparently there will be a video too. Joy! I'm not sure how Z's face will look, but I might be crying. But how do you tell your cute 5 year old you won't ride a ride he REALLY wants to? You don't.

I don't get why you're scared of that ride. It's not my favorite, but I'm not scared of it.

You go and have fun. And make sure that you get a copy of the ride photo!

Love the celebration button!

No more scary faces.

I love that celebration button too.

I'm sorry to inform you that there will be at least one more scary face.

I wonder if anyone has ever had to change resorts because their kids were traumatized by the stuff there? I'm pretty sure Adam wouldn't step foot in there. Creepy

It's creepy, but I'm not sure that it would really bother anyone that much. The big floating heads are high enough up that you have to look up to really see them. And, their eyes don't move or anything. At least I don't thing they do . . .

Heck, I'd be traumatized too.

Have you not been there? I know you said you wanted to stay there. If you haven't you should pop in some time. As has already been mentioned, it is very nicely themed and has a lot of fun details. It's worth making a stop there for a look around. If you have a car, and you're not in a hurry, it would be fun to park there and take the boat to Downtown Disney. I promise you won't be traumatized by the giant floating heads.

TCD

Have you not been there? I know you said you wanted to stay there. If you haven't you should pop in some time. As has already been mentioned, it is very nicely themed and has a lot of fun details. It's worth making a stop there for a look around. If you have a car, and you're not in a hurry, it would be fun to park there and take the boat to Downtown Disney. I promise you won't be traumatized by the giant floating heads.

TCD

Nope, never been there.  We stayed at POR for Matthew and Erica's wedding.  Took the boat to DD for dinner.  But we were so busy with wedding activities we never had time to go over to POFQ.

Maybe next trip when we rent a car for a few days we can drive over there.

Nope, never been there.  We stayed at POR for Matthew and Erica's wedding.  Took the boat to DD for dinner.  But we were so busy with wedding activities we never had time to go over to POFQ.

Maybe next trip when we rent a car for a few days we can drive over there.

You should.  Or, if you don't have a car, head there on a non-park day, or on your way back from a park for a bite to eat.  It's worth a look around.

Afterward, you can take the boat to DTD, and get back to the Fort from there.  Or, take the bus to the MK (every time we have- it's a direct trip right from the POFQ bus stop to the MK), and catch the Fort boat from there.

TCD

You should.  Or, if you don't have a car, head there on a non-park day

A non-park day?   :rofl2:   We don't do those.  That's how we roll.

But thank you for the transportation info.  May try it on a short park day or when we have a car.

BTW, the room we hated so much at POR was in Alligator Bayou, building 18.

A non-park day?   :rofl2:   We don't do those.  That's how we roll.

But thank you for the transportation info.  May try it on a short park day or when we have a car.

BTW, the room we hated so much at POR was in Alligator Bayou, building 18.

Oh yeah, I forgot how you roll.  Well, go there on your way back from a park, then.

Building 18?  That's pretty close to the main area and pool:

8214180_zps0377cb8c.jpg

On the stay that began this TR, we were in building 37- as far away as you can get.

TCD

Today was the big day: Monday, August 18th.

We knew this was move-in day for Twin #1 a long time ago.

And now it was finally here.

Twin #2's move in day was May 19th.  So she's been doing the program for three months now.

Those three months went incredibly fast.

And, I have no doubt that the next three will go even faster. 

When I moved Twin #2 in three months ago, we were both a little apprehensive.  We didn't know what to expect.

Now, it was just Twin #1, who was nervous.

I knew the drill.

One thing I knew is that we needed to get up early.  Twin #1's time to report was between 8 am and 8:30 am at the Vista Way Apartment Complex.  That's just on the other side of 4.

And the girls wanted to eat breakfast first.

So, that meant we got up at zero dark thirty.

Here I am on the way to get some coffee in the disembodied floating head room:

81814081_zps9295f26b.jpg

OK.  It wasn't really that early.  Just a little after six. But, as you can see, it was still dark out.

A random street sign on a sidewalk:

81814084_zps45fe3b96.jpg

My favorite building, building 2:

81814085_zps43e54ba3.jpg

The main drag through the resort- looks like I even beat the early birds this morning:

81814086_zpsff7ac1df.jpg

Does not feel crowded:

81814087_zps04409ca5.jpg

81814090_zps4586e7d7.jpg

The walkway to the pool:

81814091_zps414fed8f.jpg

I had a cup of coffee, then headed back to check on the girls' progress.  They were just about ready, so we headed to breakfast.

We ate.

Then headed back to the room.

The sun was finally rising.

Sunrise over the POFQ courtyard fountain:

81814093_zps9d2f5a1e.jpg

Sunrise over building one:

81814098_zpsddbc96ea.jpg

Building one, minus the sun:

81814099_zps3d48c46d.jpg

We cleared out of our room, and Twin #2 headed back to her apartment.  She didn't have to work until night, but she didn't need to hang out with us.

I drove over to Vista way.

As I said, I know the drill.

Remember, this program is run by Disney.

It is a well oiled machine.

I knew that Twin #1 needed to go here first, so I dropped her off, and then parked the car:

81814100_zps900f7faf.jpg

By the time I got back, she had already received her guidebook, and was halfway through the line:

81814102_zps72154902.jpg

A look at the check-in area from the other side:

81814103_zps1b44b71b.jpg

Parents are directed to the clubhouse for the complex, where they have some light refreshments, coffee and water.

This is the clubhouse area- although it was shady and early morning, it was easily 90 degrees already:

81814105_zpsbdc9afeb.jpg

Everything was exactly as it had been the last time.  The CM's they have working here are the best of the best, and just great young people.

They have a supply of cards for parents to write on, and they will deliver them to your child in a few weeks:

81814106_zps408aa584.jpg

Now, here's something I learned last time that made me a cool dad this time- when they give you the card, they ask for your child's name, and they put an address label on the card for their use in delivering the card to the program member later.

That address label has their actual address-which includes the name of the apartment complex to which the student has been assigned.  The kids standing in line don't know what apartment they have been assigned to yet.

So, I knew before Twin #1 did.

And this was important.

I think I already mentioned that there are four different complexes where the CP CM's might be housed.  Twin #1 found roommates, and the six of them had requested the same apartment complex that Twin #2 is currently in.  That was their first choice, but they had to make a 2nd-5th choice as well.  Nothing is guaranteed.

I quickly sent at text, and I was the first to break the news that the girls had been assigned to their first choice of apartment complexes!

That meant that even though they wouldn't be in the same apartment unit, Twin #1 an Twin #2 would at least be in the same complex. The complexes are big, so they wouldn't necessarily be close, but at least they could visit each other without having to drive.  Plus, the complex they got is generally regarded as the nicest one.

So, things were going good so far.

I got my family guide, but I didn't need to read it.  I already had one from the last time:

81814107_zpsc2487748.jpg

I got my Proud Parent button:

81814119_zps47e996b3.jpg

And a couple of Friends and Family buttons- one for each twin to wear:

81814108_zpse2a9a1c0.jpg

It looks like that family guide photo was taken on a sidewalk because it was.  I was sitting on the curb outside, because they were out of seats.

At this point, we were waiting to hear from our students about where they would be going next.  Some are put right on buses and shipped over to casting.  Others are given appointments for later, and can go to their apartments first.  Twin #2 had gone to casting right away.  I was waiting to hear from Twin #1.  I was hoping that she would go to casting first, because then I could go back to the hotel for a couple of hours.  That's what I got to do when I was here with Twin #2.

So, I sat on the curb and waited.

Did I mention it was hot?

Well, not a few minutes after I had parked it, a nice CM came by and told me quietly that I was welcome to wait inside the clubhouse if I would be more comfortable there.  Hmmm.  I'm sitting here on a curb in the sun sweating.  Do you think the clubhouse might be more comfortable?  I thought that was a possibility.  So I went.

And I found a place on a nice soft sofa.  In nice ,cool air conditioning:

81814109_zpsdb5e6593.jpg

There's a computer lab on the other side of that blue curtain on the left, and that dude over there with no sleeves on his shirt apparently had some kind of problem with me:

81814110_zpsb83864d8.jpg

I didn't get to enjoy the AC as long as I would have liked, because I got the text from Twin #1 that she was heading to casting! 

But, that was good.  I could go back and chill in our room until check-out time.

So, see you later suckers:

81814111_zpsbbcaf62b.jpg

I forgot to mention they had a food truck here.  They were serving crepes.  Too bad I already ate breakfast:

81814112_zps1929fbe1.jpg

Vista Way, where we are now, is one of the four complexes that Disney uses to house CP CM's.  This is regarded as the least nice complex.  But, it looks great to me:

81814113_zpsc9fbcb83.jpg

81814114_zps9df760bf.jpg

They have a tennis court:

81814115_zps3ad34902.jpg

And a basketball court:

81814116_zps688810f6.jpg

Complete with Disney Parks and Resorts Internships and Programs logo:

81814117_zps1d25fd62.jpg

It was around 9:30 by the time I got back to the hotel.  That gave me an hour and a half to chill in the room and relax.  Nice.

One big problem, though.

When I got to our room, the housekeeping cart was parked in front of it, and the housekeeper was in it.

Darn.

I guess I could have told the lady that I wasn't done with the room yet.  But, I didn't really need to hang out in there, so I headed to the lounge area off of the lobby, and set up camp there:

81814118_zpsa01037e8.jpg

That soon turned out to be boring.

So, I decided to head back to Vista Way and go back to the clubhouse.

Twin #1 would be returning there, and then we would get to go to see her apartment and meet her roommates.

TCD

Excellent updates Andrew!

The pic of Twin#2 meeting with her "womb companion" almost made me spit my coffee.

Twin#1 seems excited in your pics.

I hope they both have an awesome experience.

Thanks, Aaron.

It surprised me how excited (and nervous) Twin #1 was.

She loved her first year of college, and I thought she might have second thoughts about missing fall semester.

But, she was all in.

TCD