The WBI Family's Quick Stay at Topsail

Hey everyone,

It’s time for a mini non-Fort trip report.

You may have heard that GaDawgFan Kelly had to cancel a few nights of her stay at Topsail Hill Preserve State Park in Florida, well she was kind enough to offer those nights to the Fiends and I was lucky enough to be able to take them! Thanks again Kelly! In case you don’t know, Topsail books up solid for the entire summer very early, like 11 months in advance so being able to take those nights was a huge score for us.

Our trip started this past Friday the 13th I was able to get out of work at noon and we were on the road by 12:20, not bad!

IMAG1513.jpg

Oh incase you're wondering that’s a borrowed truck in the picture above, mine was in the shop so luckily the folks volunteered theirs for us to use! I'm currently truck shopping..

We made good time until Baton Rouge were came to a complete stop, it ended up taking us an hour to get across Baton Rouge, then we hit a lot more traffic after in some construction areas, the rest of the trip was uneventful but we ended up arriving at Topsail two hours later than expected.

But once we backed in we found a great site with this awesome message:

IMAG1517.jpg

Thanks again Kelly!!

We then did a quick setup and had a cold adult beverage. I think we even took a walk around our loop, then we headed to bed.

IMAG1514.jpg

That's a "The trip has started selfie"

Ok next up we head to our happy place...

WBI

The next day we were up early as usual, had a pot of coffee then headed to one of our favorite places on earth, Seaside!

Here's one reason we are always up early:
20140614_074212.jpg

We took the scenic route down 30A, not a bad drive at all.

Our plan was to hit Modica Market for breakfast and that’s just what we did.
It was crowded but we got our order and grabbed a table outside to soak in. I can’t find my picture but we had one of their 32oz Mimosas, I highly recommend it. It’s the only manly mimosa I’ve ever seen, lol.

IMAG1520.jpg

IMAG1521.jpg

Then we walked around the Farmer’s Market and the Seaside Shops, we really do love Seaside, it just have this feel to us that cannot be explained.

While CP was doing some shopping little WBI and took a selfie and did some looking around:
IMAG1527.jpg

IMAG1530.jpg

That's Bud & Alley's over there, aka the location of our wedding reception!

Yeah our dance floor was right there were the big white tent is setup now.

IMAG1535.jpg

Here's an artys shot of my boy trying to stand up on his own:

IMAG1536.jpg

IMAG1537.jpg

IMAG1538.jpg

IMAG1539.jpg

IMAG1542.jpg

We then walked up to the rooftop bar at Bud & Alley's, the Tarpon Club:
IMAG1545.jpg

We just looked around, we'll come back later for a drink.

Here we are back at our awesome site.  Kelly you really picked a good one, super long and lots of shade all day.

IMAG1546.jpg

IMAG1550.jpg

IMAG1552.jpg

IMAG1553.jpg

IMAG1554.jpg

Sorry I had a lot of pictures of the little guy playing, he was just having too much fun.

CP went for a run, so we toured the campground a little.

Here's a map of the trails:

IMAG1556.jpg

Lake and dock up near the pool:
IMAG1558.jpg

IMAG1559.jpg

Oh man, evidently that's all the pictures I have of Saturday.  I'll have to see if I can find some others on CP's phone.

After our walk, we hit the pool for a while. 

Then we got cleaned up and headed back to Seaside.

We had arranged to have our Wedding Photographer take some family pictures of us!

That was a loads of fun and all over Seaside, when I get them I'll post the link for everyone.

After pictures we went to Pizza by the Sea and had some pizza, obviously.

Then we got home and had a drink before hitting the hay.

WBI

You live in Florida but went through Baton Rouge to get there?  

I guess I need to brush up on my geography?!?

haha looks like I need to update my location on here, I'm over in Louisiana now, we moved back in 2012.

I'm in! (of course)

Of course you have to be in, you get full credit for making this trip happen!

WBI

Good to have an extra tow vehicle around if you need it.

Awesome welcome sign.

Great pics of WBI Jr.  If he tries to stand up again, push him back down.  Don't want 'em growing up too fast......

In!

Great pics so far.....you had an expert Topsailer pick out a site for you.

You must be people who know people. ;)

Thanks!

Yeah I got the hook up on this trip, Kelly really knows her Topsail sites!

Did someone say Seaside?

I'm in!

Pizza Bar is Mrs. TCD's favorite restaurant in Seaside, and maybe her favorite place to eat Pizza anywhere!

TCD

Yes sir, good ole Seaside!

Are you talking about Bud & Alley's Pizza Bar?

That was the first place we ever ate at in Seaside, way back on New Years Eve December 31, 2010, I agree with Mrs. TCD, it was really good!

Thanks for the explanation!

No problem and I updated my profile!

Good to have an extra tow vehicle around if you need it.

Awesome welcome sign.

Great pics of WBI Jr.  If he tries to stand up again, push him back down.  Don't want 'em growing up too fast......

Yes I was very lucky with that, but I did have to buy an adapter for their B&W turner over hitch, I think I'll put one in my new truck though so I can use it in the future.

haha funny you say that, we joke about not letting him stand all the time, he's already growing way to fast!

Seaside is awesome! I didn't know there were 32 oz. mimosas there, though. That makes it even better!

Glad you liked the site. :)

You have to get the mimosas!  They really are one of our favorite traditions at Seaside!

Looks like you had a god time. 

We had a great time!

I'm shocked.

How do you not know that?

I have a house account at Modica Market.

Mr. Modica was like a grandpa to the TCD girls.

TCD

Do you really still have an account there?  How often do you go?  A week every year?

I'm really jealous of people that go regularly, it's such a family oriented and relaxing place, I really think we'll be going there for the rest of our lives.  I just need a hook up on a cottage.

That's great ya'll knew Mr. Modica, you really have been going for a long time I guess.

Looks great so far and a nice little welcome note when you got there, very nice!!!!

Thanks and it was a great welcome note!

WBI

Yes sir, good ole Seaside!

Are you talking about Bud & Alley's Pizza Bar?

That was the first place we ever ate at in Seaside, way back on New Years Eve December 31, 2010, I agree with Mrs. TCD, it was really good!

Yes, the Bud and Alley's Pizza Bar.

We used to like the place that was originally in that space, which was called Café Spiazza. We weren't originally happy with the change, but now we are.

Do you really still have an account there?  How often do you go?  A week every year?

I'm really jealous of people that go regularly, it's such a family oriented and relaxing place, I really think we'll be going there for the rest of our lives.  I just need a hook up on a cottage.

That's great ya'll knew Mr. Modica, you really have been going for a long time I guess.

We used to go for at least a week every summer, and for a while we would do two weeks.

One summer, we did three weeks!

It didn't used to be as expensive as it is, and our lives used to be less complicated. We didn't make it at all last summer. But, we did get up there for Easter this year.

Yes, the girls loved Mr. Modica, and he himself set up our house account. He was an old time business man, and did it as a "favor" to us so we wouldn't have to mess with money on vacation. They would just mail us a bill the first of the month after our visit. We've kept the account open, and just used it when we were there for Easter.

TCD

I'm going to keep this little report rolling.

Sunday morning, my first Father's Day, we woke up and CP made breakfast.  Then we decided to hit the beach, we packed up our old backpack chairs and headed to the tram stop.

Here we are waiting:

IMAG1567.jpg

We made it to the beach in no time and saw the two river wash-outs that Kelly had talked about, man they were bad.

People were piled up right next to the boardwalk so we walked down quite a ways to our own private beach!

IMAG1569.jpg

Little WBI took a nap and we sat and watched the waves.

Here you can see how far we walked away from the little crowd, eventually a few people filled in this area, but even they left about 50 yards between us.

IMAG1571.jpg

IMAG1574.jpg

It was a yellow flag day so there were some pretty good waves.

You know what though, I love the waves!  That was one thing I hated about Southwest Florida beaches, they never had good waves.

I eventually acted like a kid and jumped in and did a ton of body surfing, sadly I didn't have a boogie board, maybe next time CP will buy me one if I'm good.

IMAG1575.jpg

Eventually the little guy woke up so we played in the sand and water:
IMAG1578.jpg

After a while we headed back to the site.

We got cleaned up and decided to go check out the Wharf village area in Sandestin.  We've heard a lot about it but never been.

IMAG1585.jpg

(his shirt says I heart Daddy)

IMAG1587.jpg

Hey I found the Fountain of Youth, it was a lot easier than that Pirate movie made it out to be.

IMAG1591.jpg

IMAG1592.jpg

CP loves Fat Tuesdays so of course we stopped:
IMAG1593.jpg

This area was really neat and had tons of cool places, I could see staying here and being able to go down and eat and party and walking back to the room. 
IMAG1594.jpg

Just like New Orleans, except no line of tourist.
IMAG1595.jpg

IMAG1596.jpg

IMAG1601.jpg

Then we checked out some boats:
IMAG1605.jpg

IMAG1607.jpg

Looking back at the Wharf village area.
IMAG1608.jpg

IMAG1609.jpg

I lost count of pictures so I'll just post here.

WBI

Yes, the Bud and Alley's Pizza Bar.

We used to like the place that was originally in that space, which was called Café Spiazza. We weren't originally happy with the change, but now we are.

We used to go for at least a week every summer, and for a while we would do two weeks.

One summer, we did three weeks!

It didn't used to be as expensive as it is, and our lives used to be less complicated. We didn't make it at all last summer. But, we did get up there for Easter this year.

Yes, the girls loved Mr. Modica, and he himself set up our house account. He was an old time business man, and did it as a "favor" to us so we wouldn't have to mess with money on vacation. They would just mail us a bill the first of the month after our visit. We've kept the account open, and just used it when we were there for Easter.

TCD

Wow that's great!  I hope to get to a point where I can take two week and longer vacations, I guess I could now but with only three weeks a year I try to spread it out.

That's awesome about Mr. Modica, sounds like a good man, that would make your vacation a little easier.  You're lucky to have such a history with Seaside, I'm sure you've seen a lot of things change over the years.

Heck that whole 30A area keeps changing, and it seems like a lot of it is getting fancier. I think I forgot to mention Reese Witherspoon was in Watercolor Saturday, we didn't see her but our photographer told us about it, I guess that area attracts all levels of income.

Great pictures! Your son is adorable!!!

Thank you!

WBI

We always walk and get away from the crowd on the beach. You don't even have to go far, so I don't get why more people don't do that.

We love Baytowne Warf. It's a great way to spend some time. Fat Tuesdays actually has some reasonable lunch food too.