A Trip to Remember (Bad RV Carma)

Well this is my first TR ever so here we go.

our trip was from May 29th thru June 8th. On Mothers Day we head off to the gas station to top off the tank. After filling up, I go to start the RV and nothing. Call my son at home and have him bring the car up for a jump start. nothing... So sitting at the gas station taking out the battery, go to O'Riley's, get new Battery. She starts like a champ.

Week after we started packing and noticed the house lights a little dim, so I get the trusty multimeter out and only 5 volts at the house batteries and they are a lot swollen. Off to Sam's for two new house batteries. All is good with the world... or so I thought.

Night before we leave, my son says "Dad whats that high pitched noise?  Me: I don't hear anything, it will be alright."

Off we go Thursday morning at 4:30am we leave the house. All is good from SC all the way to Florida :)

rzdduuE.jpg

Then I-4 exit 90...... Boom, driver front tire blows, center lane. No where to go but to the center median.

e1igH74.jpg

And Here we sit, unable to get out of the camper except thru the drives window due to traffic.. Call AAA and they show up, but they don't have the wrench to take off the hub cap.

oCI3USY.jpg

Dy9bZxi.jpg

This is the view out the passengers window :(

T3hrgG3.jpg

After 4 hours on the median of I-4 we finally get going and make it to the Fort.

Just a little damage not to bad.

C8yHcit.jpg

End of day ONE.

Friday... I get on the phone and start calling for a 245/70R-19.5 tire. I get prices from $500 at camping world to $247 at the Disney Care Care Center.

TuurnT8.jpg

My sister in-law arrives around noon so off I go to the car care center with a flat tire. Tire will be ready on Monday, great.

Drop off tire and pick up rental car to use.

6Dhm7uk.jpg

We have a visitor.

iYgDye2.jpg

Saturday night we get back from Downtown Disney and go in the RV and the lights are dim and the A/C's are going on and off????? Get out the trusty Multimeter and 6 volts at the house batteries???

Remember the high pitched noise I didn't hear well it was the power convert going out. House batteries not getting charged, so I get out the jumper cables and connect the golf cart to the RV and everything starts working.

Sunday morning off to Camping World to get a new converter.  Take out the old one and in with the new, all is running great again :)

Monday morning 5:30am off to Typhoon lagoon for some morning surfing :)

xcUakfQ.jpg

oxI8fND.jpg

Anybody know what these little critters are?  They were on the palm trees at Typhoon Lagoon?

xmP8LRv.jpg

Fgb9owi.jpg

After surfing and staying at the park until 1pm, off to get the RV tire.

Surprise the tire only cost $207 awesome :) I go back and get the other front tire and have them get me another one. Everyone at the Car Care Center was awesome and very helpful.

The surfing lessons at TL was $660 for 4 adults, so $165 per person for 3 hours of personal surfing or $55 an hour. You get about 90 waves to ride +-.

You need to get in at the 180 day mark because it fills up fast. At the end you get a Surf-tificate from RonJon Surfing school.

All in all a very awesome 3 hours :) :0

The surfing is limited to 12 people surfing but as many as you want to watch and take pictures.

Was also told the real way after you surf for a while is to rent the pool out after closing, if I remember right it's $1,300.00 for 3 hours at nite, you can set up any kind of waves you want and bring your own music and as many people as you want. Very cool idea!!

We did have a small 3 foot alligator bothering us as we fished at the dam. He came right up to the shore and then grunted and hissed at us. Well I will tell you he did not do that again :)

So you had "gator stew" that night? :rotfl6:

The rest of the trip was uneventful and restful.

ksYroeH.jpg

Until we found a pet at the fort.

TzED4HW.jpg

Very friendly and peaceful little critter.

Well the trip is over and we head home Sunday morning. We stop at Flagler Beach for a few minutes in the ocean.

vTeA4Kp.jpg

cuNbzSw.jpg

Onward to SC. But no, your not getting home just yet :(

We hit Waycross, Ga. and stop for gas and just as we are heading out of the parking lot. boom well not boom, just nothing, the RV quits. Dead. Will not start.

I will have to say that we saw some of the most colorful people in the parking lot, while we sat and waited for a tow from AAA, who could not locate a towing service that could tow a 35' RV.

But I will give a big thank you to the AAA driver that did respond to the call, he hooked up the RV to his flat bed in the pouring rain called the city police to block traffic and towed us out of the way into the mall parking lot across the road. 3 hours later we called Progressive, our insurance provider for the RV and told us no problem we will get a heavy wrecker out to you right away, 45 minutes later we were hitched up and the RV was on it's way to the Goodyear dealer in Waycross.

We got hotel rooms for the night and Monday morning....

They couldn't get to it until around 4pm. So we rented a van to get home and abandoned the RV, we got home Monday at 9:30pm.

They called me and said the Emergency fuel cut off switch had been tripped part way. Reset the switch and started right up.

So the next Saturday I talked my brother into a 10 hour round trip to Waycross to pick up the RV, at least it was only $110 labor charge. lol

What a trip :)

W6P89kT.jpg

6CMnfNW.jpg

EYkb4Bm.jpg

swRJcDz.jpg

IpEZ73G.jpg

Thanks for the TR and more importantly taking more than your share of the bad karma...  Because of your experiences at least three other fiends had a fabulous vacation with no bad karma.   It takes a great family to have a great time when drama is following you.  The surfing pictures proves that you guys rose above it and made the best.  Also props for marrying into a family with decent brothers and sisters. 

My goodness...wow. We're driving home now with our little hybrid in tow and I am freaking out with every little sound! So sorry you had those awful rough spots but (in between) it looks like you had a lot of fun. Love all of your pictures. ...especially the surfing!