Hey all! New member here and first time poster. My wife and I are taking our 3 1/2 year old daughter to Disney for the first time. We are leaving in 2 days with the camper in tow driving down from NJ. Normally we take our vacation later in the summer but family obligations have forced a change in plans. We are arriving on Friday the 4th and staying for 10 days and while I know that it is going to be PACKED, I just was looking for some real world input from the seasoned veterans about what to expect upon check in, finding our space and any other relevant tid-bits that are worth offering. I've been told that this holiday rivals Christmas at The Fort. Subsequently, I'm sort of letting my anxieties getting the best of me. I've got myself believing that there will mobs right outside my camper door...lol. So bring on the tips and tricks!

All of that being said, I am super excited to see my daughter's face when she meets the princesses that she adores. Not to mention the wife and I are looking forward to the "magic" as well.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to being part if the forum!

The only thing you need to be anxious about is the possibility of running into Fiends.  Especially in the 800 loop.  I hear the place is infested with them.  

In all seriousness....WELCOME!!!!  I hope you have a great trip!  

Sure, it will be busy and HOT.  But it beats being home and going to work.  So go with the flow!  It'll all be good.  Be flexible, take breaks with the little one mid day to cool off and recharge the batteries.  Don't plan on going full bore in the parks all day....you'll overheat and wear out.  Relax and have a great time!

What Dave said! 

Welcome to the fun - we're glad to have you with us!

Things will be busy - and hot.  When it comes to the parks, they will definitely be packed over the 4th holiday.  Best advice is get there for rope drop if you can, and use FastPass+ to get your "must dos" out of the way.  The good news is that you have 10 days, so you may not want to even worry too much about plowing through the parks over the holiday.

BTW it's hot.  Seriously.  Fry-an-egg-on-the-sidewalk hot. Nothing to panic about, but definitely be prepared.  Plenty of sunscreen, drink LOTS of water, and try and stay in the shade as much as you can.  If you're planning to go to Animal Kingdom, shoot for early in the morning or evening if they're open later.  That park tends to be even hotter than the others - especially in the middle of the day.

I'm sure other summer veterans will have lots more advice for you.

The Fort will be crawling with Fiends, so don't hesitate to find a sign and introduce yourself.   :)

First of all, welcome! Second of all, what are you thinking coming to Disney then?!?! JK! I'll be there too. I hope you'll come say hi.

It's your first trip, so you probably want to do a lot. That means you need to get there before opening. I'd get there 40 minutes before opening. Really. It will save you hours. You also need a plan. I recommend easywdw.com for free touring plans. Having a plan is important because some rides load much slower than others.

Also, take a break every day. It will make your days much more pleasant.

Welcome!

Check-in is easy.  You drive up and stop where they tell you and the cast member there will get you all squared away.

Finding your site should be pretty easy as well, as they will give you a map at check-in and the site are pretty clearly marked and laid out.

Most young ones are early risers.  If your's is, then take advantage of that. Get to the parks early to enjoy a few rides before it gets hot.  Then go back to your site for a nap, maybe a dip in the  pool, then maybe go back to the park and do a few more rides as it gets cool in the evening.

I agree wiith Kelly about easywdw.com.  Here is a link to the cheat sheets with wonderful touring plans: http://www.easywdw.com/category/cheat-sheets/

Adapt them to fit your plans.

Have fun!!

Thanks so much everyone! All of your advice has really eased my mind quite a bit. I've always been told that unlike the other Disney resorts, The Fort is a destination of its own with so much to do. Like many have said, it offers a respite from the parks if needed. My little one is an early riser so yes, getting to the park before rope drop will certainly be the way to go.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome and I will be sure to post once we get settled. Would love to know if there are other fiends around.

The camper is packed, the truck is gassed up, we've got snacks by the ton...here we come Mr. Mouse!!

Would love to know if there are other fiends around.

There will be more Fort Fiend members there than all of the other FW sites combined.

You may not realize yet, but you are now a member of the most active, informative, and most fun, Fort Wilderness and WDW site there is.

And it's not just online, it's also very active in the real world as well.

Welcome!!!!!!! When you get here try to come to the 800 loop there are a few Fiends there right now and on the 4th we will have a gathering to meet even more of us, look for our signs and if you need any help getting settled in don't be afraid to ask especially after that FUN ride down form Jersey.

There will be more Fort Fiend members there than all of the other FW sites combined.

You may not realize yet, but you are now a member of the most active, informative, and most fun, Fort Wilderness and WDW site there is.

And it's not just online, it's also very active in the real world as well.

As Lou's PSA says, lots of Fiends will be at the Fort over the next couple of weeks.  Just look for a Snarky sign, or a bunch of people hanging around looking like they're having a good time.  Don't be shy about saying "hi" - all are welcome.

Oh and if you time it right, they'll feed you too.  When Fiends gather there's never a shortage of laughs or food.   8)

My advice is similar to the other fiends. I also suggest going for rope drop. Give yourself plenty of time to there, some of the parks can take up to an hour to travel to when you include waiting for the bus. Getting to MK is the quickest and the boat ride was what my kids loved the most when they were young. With a little one I would hit the parks early, get fastpasses for the rides you want a little later in the morning and hit the character lines first thing since you said that is what she is excited about. Also make sure to enjoy the fort. We like to hit the parks early then come back and have the day to hang out at the pool or check out the animals. There is so much to do. Relax, be flexible and smile...you will have a blast. 

Did I mention it's going to be hot?  8)

You're not from as far north as I am, but I'm sure you're not used to the "soup" that is FL in the summer either.

I highly recommend...

1. a misty fan - cheaper at Walmart (Disney will charge you $17 for one)

2. drinking LOTS of water throughout the day, pretty much any time you think of it - note that any counter service location will give you a free cup of ice and/or tap water.  When I've been during the melty times, I ask for a full cup of ice and buy a bottle of water to pour into it.

3. moisture wicking clothes are awesome - seriously, sounds like "how good can they be?" but I am someone that doesn't tolerate heat well at all and I can attest to them making a huge difference (and they make underwear also!)

Stay cool!!

Welcome!  Like many fiends, and yourself, we too have little ones (our son is 2.5 and our daughter is 7).  Our daughter has been to WDW 11 times and our son just experienced his 7th trip... you all will have a GREAT time!  :jumpforjoy

I'll jump in and agree with the others in saying...right now, it is VERY hot there.  Lots, lots and again LOTS of water is super important.  Naps in the afternoon (in your trailer with the a/c on) really are a must.  The pool...our experience is that it was actually better around 10a as any later and the sun had warmed the water up to bath temperature (not exactly a refreshing experience).  If you're looking to spend money on meals, my suggestion is that you plan to do so for dinner as you'll be very hot and tired by then.

Have a magical time and again...  :welcome2:

Hey did anyone happen to mention it's hot? Like Africa hot? :clint:

Well in case they didn't, here are some great attractions for ducking out of the heat for a while...

Magic Kingdom

Carousel of Progress (great for a nap @ about 20 minutes long)

Hall of Presidents (ok for a nap, until the war starts)

Mickey's Philharmagic

Under the Sea

Epcot

Ellen's Energy Adventure (also great for a nap, as it's about 40 minutes long... well, until you get to the dinosaurs)

Nemo

American Adventure

Grand Fiesta Tour (boat ride) in Mexico

Maelstrom in Norway

The Land Pavilion - good food court, lots of seating, restrooms plus Soarin and Living with The Land rides.

Animal Kingdom

It's Tough to Be a Bug

Finding Nemo (standing in line can be hot, but there's some shade and fans)

Festival of the Lion King

Hollywood Studios

Great Movie Ride

Muppets 3D

Welcome fellow New Jersey-an.  You've gotten a lot of great responses to your questions/concerns.

Amplifying what others have said.  Sit back, relax, & enjoy.  The Fort is a haven and you'll have plenty of Fiends there for support should you need.

Feel free to post a Trip Report of you escapade should you want.  No pressure.......

Welcome!  Like many fiends, and yourself, we too have little ones (our son is 2.5 and our daughter is 7).  Our daughter has been to WDW 11 times and our son just experienced his 7th trip... you all will have a GREAT time!  :jumpforjoy

I'll jump in and agree with the others in saying...right now, it is VERY hot there.  Lots, lots and again LOTS of water is super important.  Naps in the afternoon (in your trailer with the a/c on) really are a must.  The pool...our experience is that it was actually better around 10a as any later and the sun had warmed the water up to bath temperature (not exactly a refreshing experience).  If you're looking to spend money on meals, my suggestion is that you plan to do so for dinner as you'll be very hot and tired by then.

Have a magical time and again...  :welcome2:

100% agree on the naps. When we lived in NJ, we started bringing our daughter down when she was 2. My wife and I would alternate who would bring her back for an afternoon nap while the other did the parks. At night, we'd reverse, and the person who brought her back for her nap stayed out later at night. We did have an agreement that whoever was out at night had to bring back the obligatory snack.  We followed that until we moved down here when my daughter was 7. Now she turns 26 tomorrow and I still yearn for that afternoon nap!   :rofl2:

What Lou said.  These Fiends are real people.  We travel with 3-4 special needs kids and have gotten so much help from Fiends who just happen to be at the Fort at the time.  Over the years we have had a few medical emergencies.  The Fiends were there for us; providing transportation, giving rides for grocery pickups, serving meals, just a conversation when needed, etc.  And the ones who aren't at the Fort are on line to provide encouragement and prayers for support.  I think you will find you have stumbled onto a great group to associate with.

And there is a lot to do at the Fort, so you don't need to go to the Parks every day.  Rwelax and enjoy the place.  Sorry we won't be there until December, but WELCOME.

And of course after any Post 10, all bets are off.  Snarky often takes over.   :purpleflam:  :purpleflam:  :purpleflam:

Hey did anyone happen to mention it's hot? Like Africa hot?

I did not know that.

Let me get this straight. You're saying that it's hot in Florida during the summer? Is that correct?

I'm sure this comes as a surprise to some people........................that live on Mars.

Of course it's hot in Florida in the summer, always has been and always will be.

OK. I'm gonna chime in. What is the definition of hot? WDW forecast is mid 90s. Not sure about humidity but if low or reasonable I wouldn't consider that Africa hot or 14,858 degrees hot. We get that mess up here. Sorry to agree with Lou but I am.

Speaking of up here. Checked the forecast to where I'm going this Sat for a week. High of 65 first day then 70-75 for the remainder. Is that hot?

I did not know that.

Let me get this straight. You're saying that it's hot in Florida during the summer? Is that correct?

I'm sure this comes as a surprise to some people........................that live on Mars.

Of course it's hot in Florida in the summer, always has been and always will be.

I was thinking about that while watching the NBC show about Diagon Alley last night.  3-4 story buildings with narrow streets in between.  Unless they have some sort of air flow system built in, it is going to be miserable there packed in like sardines.