Totally worth it, a.k.a. What not to do while passing through airport security

You made a big mistake in spinning this tale.  I don't get legs in my GAG's.  I go white meat all the way.

It was great to meet you Leslie!  Thanks for coming all the way out to the Fort, too.

I still can't believe that you walked all the way back to the Lodge.  It was a warm evening.

TCD

She also run in the afternoon while in FL. Her sanity is clearly questionable. 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I want to personally thank you for performing your civic duty..........of posting timely updates on FF.net.

Last days are so sad ...

Sorry about your pictures!

I know about those last days.  Always hate to see them coming!

You made a big mistake in spinning this tale.  I don't get legs in my GAG's.  I go white meat all the way.

It was great to meet you Leslie!  Thanks for coming all the way out to the Fort, too.

I still can't believe that you walked all the way back to the Lodge.  It was a warm evening.

TCD

Dang.  My lack of attention to what pieces of chicken were in that bucket bit me on the butt.  

It was really great to meet y'all.  I'm so glad it worked out.

The walk back really wasn't too bad.  Certainly not as bad as some of those runs.  Like Kelly noticed:

She also run in the afternoon while in FL. Her sanity is clearly questionable. 

Truth.  But it's fun anyway.

Caught up. Again.

Great pix and update.

I'll say it again, that boy ain't right, but his parents are. Cirque tickets!!! Woot ! Woot!

Last night sickness SMB.

TCD's daughters are so sweet. And there smiles are infectious.

You're right about Patrick's parents!  They gave us an awesome night that Friday.  You're right about the TCD girls, or at least about Twin #1.  Very sweet girl.  I'm pretty sure the other two are too - I just haven't gotten to meet them yet!

Last entry coming up now.

Finally – the last entry of this report.  We had an early flight out, so we were up and out of OKW without getting to play in the parks any.  :(  Everything went fine – easy trip to the airport, on time flight, etc., until the event.  The funny thing about the event is that no one saw it except me.  And Patrick, who was of course the offender.

So, we were going through security.  Danielle went through first, then Patrick, then me, and then Ray.  Danielle made it through with no problem.  While she was waiting on her carry-ons to go through, Patrick entered that new type of scanner.  When he walked in, the agent told him to put his hands in the air (as on the picture in the scanner that shows you the stance to take), somehow he thought of the song Word Up – “Put your hands in the air like you don’t care”.  Anyway, that thought that popped into his mind evoked an uncontrollable need to dance in that scanner machine.  Not hardly at all – just a tiny hip shake.  But it was enough that I saw it since I was waiting my turn.  But again, I was the only one in the whole airport that noticed.

That is, I was the only one that noticed until his scanner image showed up and alarmed the entire TSA crew – his whole pelvic area was covered in yellow.  Apparently, movement in the machine can give results like this.  Security swarmed, questioned him, patted him down, swabbed him for explosives, and as he said, violated him in all sorts of ways. 

He eventually was let go, after he produced the only thing that was in any of his pockets at all – a dollar bill – which security decided must have been what gave the crazy image.  Yup, a dollar.  But at least he was released to travel home and not arrested.  I really didn’t want to have to explain that to his parents.

And what did he have to say for himself? 

“Totally worth it.”

So that’s our trip!  Thanks for following along!!

And, just for fun, here are a few pictures of a backpack tent camping trip Danielle, Patrick and I had this weekend.  We had a good time.  Hot but fun.

photo2_zps80e96baf.jpg

Danielle carving their initials into a tree that was covered in initials:

photo3_zps1d2f0fab.jpg

And here’s another family member that y’all haven’t met yet – Abby!

photo5_zps1e6ee99c.jpg

photo8_zps9bd291b6.jpg

photo9_zpsb4561c8e.jpg

Danielle cooked us a spaghetti supper, and it was good!

photo10_zpsfdccfe0a.jpg

photo1_zpsf367bf65.jpg

photo1_zps3fb6946e.jpg

That’s it!  Thanks for reading!

And it ends with a backpacking/camping trip!  EPIC, totally unexpected finish for the score.

Dancing in the scanner - way to go with a mini show of civil disobedience.  You know he was the topic of conversation for a week full of otherwise uneventful lives for Orlando security personnell. 

Where was the camping trip?  Was the tent site car accessible or did you carry the spaghetti fixings with you?  Then again, you guys are in shape with young knees that can handle the weight.  Was that a Luna moth on Patrick's hand?

And Abby looks like a keeper.  She must enjoy backpacking and exploring with you guys.  Does she run with you too?

Thanks for sharing!  Totally worth it.

I do not even want to know what being swabbed for explosives entails.

What a great trip report, glad the first trip with a boyfriend in tow went as (relatively) smoothly as it did. It looks like you all had a fun time. Thanks for sharing!

Great report Leslie!

"What a crime"

Thanks!  It was fun reliving Ghostbusters with you! 

"We came, we saw, we kicked its ***!"  (Expletive removed to keep it PG friendly.)

And it ends with a backpacking/camping trip!  EPIC, totally unexpected finish for the score.

Dancing in the scanner - way to go with a mini show of civil disobedience.  You know he was the topic of conversation for a week full of otherwise uneventful lives for Orlando security personnell. 

Where was the camping trip?  Was the tent site car accessible or did you carry the spaghetti fixings with you?  Then again, you guys are in shape with young knees that can handle the weight.  Was that a Luna moth on Patrick's hand?

And Abby looks like a keeper.  She must enjoy backpacking and exploring with you guys.  Does she run with you too?

Thanks for sharing!  Totally worth it.

The camping trip was to Oak Mountain State Park, right outside Birmingham.  We have tent camped from the car there before, but this was our first time to carry everything in with us.  But we wound up with a campsite that was less than a mile from where we parked, so it wasn't bad at all.

Don't know what kind of moth it was, but Patrick loved it.

And yes, Abby is a definite keeper.  She runs with me on when it's not too hot for her.  She's pretty bad when she wants to be - she's an excellent counter-surfer - so we have to watch our food when she's around, but she's worth the trouble.

:rofl3:

That boy definitely ain't right.  

But nice way to stick it to the man.  Even if it resulted in getting violated.  

Abby is a cutey.  Reminds me of our Foofy....only a LOT larger.  

Another great report, Leslie!  

Thanks!  I thought Abby and Foofy had a lot in common when I met Foofy - except size.  I'm hoping to bring her with me to Defeated Creek next month!

Oh my gosh, I can't believe he said that!  On my way to WWW in January I got the full body scan and pat-down.  I was terrified.  Those agents don't treat you very nicely.

I know.  It was crazy, but he took it all in stride.  He had the benefit of a young and free mindset.  I, on the other hand, could only think of worst case scenario, except when I was laughing from the whole situation.

I do not even want to know what being swabbed for explosives entails.

What a great trip report, glad the first trip with a boyfriend in tow went as (relatively) smoothly as it did. It looks like you all had a fun time. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks!  And as Dan explains below, the swabbing thankfully wasn't an invasive swabbing.  :dropjaw:

Funny! Actually, I had to have my hands swabbed for explosives when leaving Orlando - just a disposable pad of some sort that they then place in an analyzer.

Yup - that was it.

What a great ending.

I agree with DIT, that boy ain't right.

How far did y'all hike to get to that campsite?  I think it's great that Abby got to come.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.  Good luck with your daughter's big move!

TCD

Thanks!  We start driving in 9 days.  I'm excited, terrified and sad all at the same time.  I know everything will be good, but Wyoming sure is a long way away!

Thanks!  We start driving in 9 days.  I'm excited, terrified and sad all at the same time.  I know everything will be good, but Wyoming sure is a long way away!

Yikes!

What an adventure for her!

I know it will be hard for you, but this is what you raised her to do- leave the nest and fly!

She will be fine.  You know that.  You'll be a wreck for a while.  But it will get better. Really, it will.

TCD

Great trip report, and the boy really just likes to have fun, nothing wrong with that but I would keep a CLOSE eye on him you might keep him out of trouble but he would just say totally worth it.

Yikes!

What an adventure for her!

I know it will be hard for you, but this is what you raised her to do- leave the nest and fly!

She will be fine.  You know that.  You'll be a wreck for a while.  But it will get better. Really, it will.

TCD

Thanks, Andrew.  Sentiments like that really help.  Especially coming from someone who has dealt with this exact issue so recently!

Great report with a great surprise ending!

Thanks!  And thanks for reading!

Love the ending! I once got a pat down in France... that lady really did violate me. You better tell Patrick to not have fun in International airports. 

Part of me misses tent camping... 

The more I do tent camping, the more I am enjoying it.  Now Ray, he seems to be another story.  I'm still working on him about that....

Thank You for sharing !

Thanks for reading!

Love the airport security story. I could see one of my boys doing that.  Whenever we travel we always caution them not to do or say anything that they know they shouldn't no matter how funny they think it might be. 

No kidding.  This was a good reminder of that.

Great trip report, and the boy really just likes to have fun, nothing wrong with that but I would keep a CLOSE eye on him you might keep him out of trouble but he would just say totally worth it.

All I can say about that is :dropjaw:!!

Thanks for taking me along on your trip.  What fun. 

Wyoming huh?  Sounds like a very good excuse for western vacations!

Been in those scanners too, once a very slim young lady wearing minimal clothing went before me.  When we were both through, out of hearing of the lack of a humor gene TSA people, I asked her where they thought she could have hidden anything.   We had a laugh, but TSAs are scary and a lot of them are rude.

Beautiful dog, looks like she enjoys camping too.