I realized when we got home from our last camping trip to NY that my Fort Wilderness car magnet was gone from my car. I have several other magnets that are still there so I am certain it was stolen. People can be jerkalopes. Trying to decide if I should just invest in a decal or get a new one next time I go. I just don't get theft, why take something that doesn't belong to you. 

And my suburban just looks naked now   :'(

Wow that stinks. I grew up in New York, every time we went camping we left NY to camp. Where did you camp that was worth driving to NY? I still have family there and we will be taking an extended trip up that way next year, would love to know how your trip was other than the theft.

I still have my magnet though the background is purple instead of brown now.  Has anyone else's done that?  BUT, we traded cars over the weekend and the back of my new Journey is not metal so it doesn't stick anywhere.  I could put it on the side, but that just isn't the same.  DH has a Fort Wilderness tag that he isn't using and it matches my "Copperhead Pearl" orange car very well.  I just need a tag mount on the front.  Not sure if I get a tag in October when we go or use his now and replace his then (he uses it as decor in his office.)

To answer the question about what is in NY worth going to, well it was Niagara Falls, we hadn't taken the kids there for awhile and we have been doing lots of mini weekend trips because we are taking the oldest off cross country to college this week. 

I am hoping we can make it to the Fort in February but we've had so many extra expenses lately and I just don't know if it will happen. I will most likely just get a decal, that way it won't fall off or get stolen. Thanks for not saying something like "it's just a stupid magnet" because I know it is, I just hate theft except for theft of terms like "jerkalope" which I stole from another friend. ;)

Edit: Woohoo!!! This is my 100th post! 

To answer the question about what is in NY worth going to, well it was Niagara Falls, we hadn't taken the kids there for awhile and we have been doing lots of mini weekend trips because we are taking the oldest off cross country to college this week. 

I am hoping we can make it to the Fort in February but we've had so many extra expenses lately and I just don't know if it will happen. I will most likely just get a decal, that way it won't fall off or get stolen. Thanks for not saying something like "it's just a stupid magnet" because I know it is, I just hate theft except for theft of terms like "jerkalope" which I stole from another friend. ;)

Edit: Woohoo!!! This is my 100th post! 

Sometimes it's not the actual value of an object, it's more like the collateral value.  I had someone take my wireless outdoor temperature sensor while camping at FW a couple of years ago.  It was hanging on a tree right on my campsite so they would have to have came on my site to get it.  It may be that certain people these days don't consider it stealing if they are taking something of little apparent value.  I think people such as this are closely related to the people that will cut you off in traffic, won't allow you to merge properly, and are otherwise discourteous in their daily living.  It's the "ME" generation, you and I don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

I had a concert bumper sticker peeled off of my van years ago.

It had been on there for a while so someone had to work hard at getting it off.  Just glad it was on my bumper instead of the back door.

Speaking of bumper stickers, does anyone remember the old cardboard type that were attached to your bumper with wire?

Attractions used to send workers out in the parking lots to attach them to the bumpers while you were visiting for the day.

Naked bumper when you arrived, decorated when you left with a sign that said I visited XXX.

Speaking of bumper stickers, does anyone remember the old cardboard type that were attached to your bumper with wire?

Attractions used to send workers out in the parking lots to attach them to the bumpers while you were visiting for the day.

Yes I do remember.

Seeing that they didn't stick to the bumper, what were those things called? Bumper signs, bumper advertising, bumper placards?

And the company that made those, lost all that business because now you'd have to drill holes through the body integrated bumpers in order to stick the wires through.

Naked bumper when you arrived, decorated when you left with a sign that said I visited XXX.

Yes!  I recall them showing up on our bumpers at places like Santa's Village and Storyland.  :)

I had a concert bumper sticker peeled off of my van years ago.

It had been on there for a while so someone had to work hard at getting it off.  Just glad it was on my bumper instead of the back door.

And Luray Caverns, VA

• 2 weeks later...