Help! First time to FW in Feb 2015

Hi you experts.  I am coming to FW in Feb 2015 and want to rent an RV from Greenberg RV rentals.  I am staying with my husband and I (in our 60s) with our kids and grandkids age 8 to 1.  Oh Boy!!!

We are probably going to get an out of WDW room when we need a break.

We are renting the RV Freedom Express – 2014 Coachmen Liberty Edition 320 BHDS is what we are looking at renting.  

I need advice on getting the best deal for site, rental, tickets, meals, groceries, and site location.

I need your input.  We are so excited to go with the kids who are very well behaved and would be a good addition to the community.  The infant 1 and a half is not a screamer and sleeps well.  We want to be good neighbors. 

Likewise should we avoid pet loops.

Thanks for your help.

Dogridges

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome.   I agree with contacting a good travel agent (Jason) and working with him for your reservation needs. Jason knows Disney, and more importantly, he knows the Fort.   As for the rest, don't ge

Hi Susan just in case my email didnt make it through or ended up in spam I have written back to you. And Fiends never go away...no matter how much you may want them too. 

You can't be more nuts than us! You'll fit in well. And I LOVE planning. It's part of the fun for me.    There are Fiends at the Fort almost all the time. Many of us have signs, and if you PM Lou, he

First of all, WELCOME!!!!!!!!!

You'll love Ft. Wilderness, especially with your grand kids. I'd request a loop near the pool and campfire. We love the 1400 loop, and it's not a pet loop.

For groceries, if you're driving, the cheapest way is to bring them or get them at a grocery store once you arrive. If you are flying or don't want to spend precious time grocery shopping with kids, I recommend wegoshop.com. They shop your choice of stores, use their discount cards, bring you the receipt, and charge you a fee based on the price. Tips are also appreciated.

For booking sites at a discount, we use Jason, the travel agent that advertises on here. His screen name is Katman. 

For tickets, you can get a little discount by using Undercover Tourist. 

Hope that helps! 

Welcome!

If you're coming during peak season, there may not be much in the way of discounts available on your site rental, but as Kelly mentioned, working with a good travel agent like Jason can help you track them down if they're out there. You can find his contact info on our Site Sponsors page...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/misc/support-our-site-sponsors-r259

Tickets - ditto what Kelly said.  Unless one of you qualifies for the Military Salute discount, there's not much available for legitimate, discounted tickets.  There are a few places like Undercover Tourist that may save you a few dollars.  These threads may have some info in them that's helpful...

Authorized Resellers for Discounted Tickets

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/13548-discount-park-tickets/#entry386458

Military Salute Tickets

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/13335-military-ticketsoffers-2014-2015/?hl=%2Bmilitary+%2Btickets

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/13465-military-salute-tickets-available-by-phone/?hl=%2Bmilitary+%2Btickets

As for site location, it first depends on what level of site you book - partial, full, preferred or premium.

If you let us know that, and what you're looking for in a site - close to pool, transportation, quieter, etc. - I'm sure plenty of people will weigh in with recommendations.

In the meantime, there's a bunch of good info on the overall layout of the Fort, site level classifications, and links to a bunch of great resources for getting an up-close look at the sites around the Fort here...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/loop-information/site-classifications-r61

Thank you so much.  Hope in years to come that we can help someone like you have.  We are staying in a Premium site loop for WIFI and space.  Spent days reading online on all topics and checked lots of sites for prices.  Thanks for these hints.  We look forward to our first camping adventure.  Went to Franconia Notch before the Old Man in the Mountain fell. Loved our vacation there.  Love your dogs.  Ours passed away and we haven't been able to adopt a new friend yet.

Thanks Kelly I will track Jason down.

We are staying in a Premium site loop for WIFI and space. 

Just one note - the campsites (even premium) do not have WiFi.  You can sometimes pick it up if you are close to the Meadows or Settlement area, but that's hit or miss.  You can get one of the modems from the Fort and use that to get free wired internet.  If you want WiFi you'll need to bring/connect your own WiFi router to it.  More info here...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/info/internet-access-at-fort-wilderness-r238

Went to Franconia Notch before the Old Man in the Mountain fell. Loved our vacation there.  Love your dogs. 

Thanks!  We were actually driving up through the Notch the day he fell.  Seems silly, but I miss seeing him up there.

A couple more things... premium sites don't have WIFI (none do) ... but you can get a modem from Disney for any site. 

One suggestion to save money, don't get park hopper tickets. It costs $50 per ticket. It sounds like you're going to need at least 3 tickets; that's $150. One park per day with kids is plenty, and that $150 could be spent on better things, IMO. 

Welcome.

I agree with contacting a good travel agent (Jason) and working with him for your reservation needs. Jason knows Disney, and more importantly, he knows the Fort.

As for the rest, don't get so worked up.  In my opinion, the biggest rookie mistake is over planning.  Sure, make some plans, but allow plenty of time to be flexible.  Your family may end up loving something that isn't on the schedule.

So, keep the planning light, and be ready to go with the flow.

TCD

Welcome.

I just wanted to add that we stayed in the 1400 loop close to the campfire and lived it. We could walk to the pond, store, and pool in a few minutes.

We rented from a fellow fiend and lived his fifth wheel. It has a bunk house and comes with a golf cart. He's not a sponsor here ( I don't know why he isn't). So I'm PMing you his info. It will probably save you some money on renting an rv.

:welcome:

Like TCD said "Don't over plan!".  I would suggest that, depending on length of stay and $$, maybe work in one or two reservations for meals away from the camper.  As the chief cook in our tribe, an off night is appreciated every now and then.  If you decide to do this, you can reserve 180 days out.

You guys are great.  I just love reading all I can about places before I go.  Learning from you will be invaluable so I can go with the flow.  I know I will be boating back to the Fort with the wee ones for naps while the others keep exploring.  As far as having a rigid schedule I won't.  Just want to know before hand what rides - attractions are best for a 8 and 4 year old,  where to go for character meals etc.  By the way I saw the CInderella's Castle is being renovated until mid March.  I would love to look at other RV renters.  Greenberg advertises $899 for week with set-up, breakdown.  Have not got final price with TAX.  Couldn't find anyone with 2 seperated by doors bedrooms for living area RVs except them.  With 7 of un I am unsure we won't get on eachothers nerves at night.  We will see.  I am a light sleeper.  I went to http://yourfirstvisit.net/%C2'> was great.  I went on the food websites.  I am not OCD I just like to read about places.

One suggestion to save money, don't get park hopper tickets. It costs $50 per ticket. It sounds like you're going to need at least 3 tickets; that's $150. One park per day with kids is plenty, and that $150 could be spent on better things, IMO. 

This is great advice.  You can always add park hopping later on if you think you're really going to use it (same price), but some people find that it's just not necessary.  And remember that even without park hopping, you can leave and return to the SAME park as many times as you want to throughout the day.

Just want to know before hand what rides - attractions are best for a 8 and 4 year old,  where to go for character meals etc.  

We visited WDW last November with four of our grandchildren -- ages 7, 5, 3, and 2.  The four year old will probably not meet the height requirement for some of the thrill rides.  The 8 year old should be fine on height.  Aside from height, it just depends on your children.  Do they like thrill rides?  Or are they like me and won't get on dropping elevators and long roller coaster drops?

Our favorite character meals are breakfast at Crystal Palace (especially if you can get an early ADR and get to enter the park before opening), Chef Mickey's, and Tusker House.

I'm a super planner and proud of it!

I would get to the parks before opening so you can have short lines and take a midday break. It helps.

Check out Mickey's Backyard BBQ. I talk about it in my April 2013 TR and also did a separate review in the dining section. It's a lot of fun, and it's at the Fort!

Our 8 year old will be fine with rides.  I plan on taking the 4 year old back at lunch time for lunch and naps and have read a lot of $1 books from our thrift shop with height requirements and such.  We want to go early to take in the 4 year old plan first starting with his activities the 8 year old will enjoy and work our way forward to let me take him back to the Fort.  Then our daughter and son-in-law can take the 8 year old to her activiites depending on everyones stamina.  I think we are looking at 4 park days and 3 at Fort Wilderness.  Can you add days to your purchase of park tickets once you get there?  We thought we would start at Animal Kingdom 1 day, Hollywood Studios 1 day, and finish with 2 days at Magic Kingdom.  I know every Park has its special attractions but I think the kids can view these as the get older with more appreciation.  This trip is all about them.

As far as what parks to visit on what days, i would check a crowd calendar.  It would be awful to be at MK when every one else is and find out later that AK was practically deserted.  I use the one at easywdw.com.  Some people prefer touringplans.com.