Help! First time to FW in Feb 2015

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome.   I agree with contacting a good travel agent (Jason) and working with him for your reservation needs. Jason knows Disney, and more importantly, he knows the Fort.   As for the rest, don't ge

Hi Susan just in case my email didnt make it through or ended up in spam I have written back to you. And Fiends never go away...no matter how much you may want them too. 

You can't be more nuts than us! You'll fit in well. And I LOVE planning. It's part of the fun for me.    There are Fiends at the Fort almost all the time. Many of us have signs, and if you PM Lou, he

Do all you guys eat at Fort Wilderness and stay away except for the occasional meal at Parks or Character meal for kids.  I saw there were lockers at the entrance.  Can you put PB&Js and semi frozen drinks in the locker in a soft cooler bag and not run into trouble?

I think you'll find folks here are split between those that eat most of their meals at the Fort, those that don't want to cook on vacation (me!!) and people that do a bit of both.  :)

You can bring food into the parks and even cold drinks in a cooler.  This info on what you can't bring into the parks is from the Disney website...

• You may not bring the following types of items into the theme parks:
    • Wagons
    • Skateboards
    • Scooters
    • Inline skates
    • Shoes with built-in wheels
    • Strollers larger than 36" x 52" (92 x 132 cm)
    • Suitcases, coolers or backpacks with or without wheels larger than 24" (61 cm) long x 15" (38 cm) wide x 18" (46 cm) high. Coolers required for medication may be stored in a locker or at Guest Relations.
    • Any trailer-like object that is pushed or towed by an ECV, wheelchair or stroller
    • Wheeled mobility devices with less than 3 wheels and devices that cannot maintain stability and balance when stopped, unpowered or unoccupied. Training wheels or similar modifications are not permitted.
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Weapons of any kind
  • Folding chairs
  • Glass containers (excluding baby food jars and perfume bottles)
  • Pets (unless they are service animals)
  • Balloons, straws and drink lids are not permitted in Disney's Animal Kingdom Park for the safety of our animals
  • Tripod stands or monopod stands that cannot fit inside a standard backpack

Additional items may also not be permitted inside the theme parks. Please use your best judgment and do not bring anything that may be potentially harmful or disruptive.

Otherwise, you're good to go.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/parks/restricted-personal-items/

I will leave it up to the kids and their budget on the eating.  I can backpack semi frozen plastic drinks and finger sandwiches if the parents want that.  THis is a wonderful site.  I love traveling.  I haven't been to WDW in 12 years.  I brought my mother after my father passed away to Epcot and Winter Park to the Tiffany Glass Museum.

Do all you guys eat at Fort Wilderness and stay away except for the occasional meal at Parks or Character meal for kids.  I saw there were lockers at the entrance.  Can you put PB&Js and semi frozen drinks in the locker in a soft cooler bag and not run into trouble?

I am one that doesn't eat "out" much, due to budgetary constraints.  Our next trip, we plan to have dessert at Be Our Guest one day, but otherwise to bring all our food into the parks on park days and eat at the campsite on non-park days.

Ride around in a golf cart looking at decorations and other campsite rigs

Going to the beach to watch the Electrical Parade and Fireworks

Spending time with other Fort Fiends

Breakfast at Trails End

Campfire Movie and Singalong

Fishing at the lake

Sitting under my awning doing nothing at all

We've got a bunch of info there too...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/info/golf-cart-rentals-disney-fort-wilderness-and-r100

Actually since we've had a whole bunch of new folks join up in the last week or so, this is probably a good time to remind everybody of our magical, mysterious Info Pages.

Ok they're really not so magical or mysterious, but they're where we store some of the most frequently asked about info here, so that it's a bit easier to find than foraging through old threads.

You can check out the index of all the info pages here...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/info/site-map-find-what-you-need-here-r99

You can also get there by clicking the "Info" tab at the top of the page.  :)

For a meal, make sure you get the family sized chicken dinner, The Gettyup-and-Go (here we call it a GAG). It's enough food for the whole family, and you can eat it at the playground picnic tables. You can get it at the Trails End takeout area. It's about $25. 

For a meal, make sure you get the family sized chicken dinner, The Gettyup-and-Go (here we call it a GAG). It's enough food for the whole family, and you can eat it at the playground picnic tables. You can get it at the Trails End takeout area. It's about $25. 

We get it for the 2 of us and always have leftovers for at least one more meal or a bunch of snacks.

Food. We are in the eat out most meals. With the exception of breakfast. I just hate spending $15-$40/ person for breakfast. We buy the usual cold cereal, frozen pancakes that we can throw in the microwave, frozen breakfast sandwiches.

Lunch is sometimes our big meal. We will go to lunch around 2:00, as to get the less expensive lunch time prices. And then DW and I will have something lite for dinner.

We also split meals and sometimes we will get the kids meals. They are usually big enough for an adult.

Dinner I have to admit is usually a splurge for us. So I'm no help there. Except we do sometimes share a meal.

As for what we like to do...DD(9) is a fish so we spend lots of time by the pool and since we were at the 1400 loop we went several times to the campfire and to the movie. And of course we looped to look at the Christmas decorations.

Dinner I have to admit is usually a splurge for us. So I'm no help there. Except we do sometimes share a meal.

Same here.

We usually do breakfast (which is often more like brunch) at the camper, snack/dinner out - sometimes quick service, sometimes sit-down although more often than not these days we'll hit one of the restaurant lounges that serve food so that we don't need an ADR.

Ride around in a golf cart looking at decorations and other campsite rigs

Going to the beach to watch the Electrical Parade and Fireworks

Spending time with other Fort Fiends

Breakfast at Trails End

Campfire Movie and Singalong

Fishing at the lake

Sitting under my awning doing nothing at all

Fixed it.

now, if you want real expert advice on the best way to visit the Fort and WDW, get a site for one of your fellow fiends (ME), and I'll be your personal tour guide :)

No, no, no! Pick me! Or actually, pick Carol, let her bring her camper, and let me come too.

now, if you want real expert advice on the best way to visit the Fort and WDW, get a site for one of your fellow fiends (ME), and I'll be your personal tour guide :)

If you get a site for Carol, she will need someone to ride down there with her. I will volunteer for this.