I'm brand new to Fort Wilderness...

Total newb when it comes to FW. I've been around Disney but haven't even set foot at this resort. What do I need to know. We're renting a cabin for the second week of December. Will transportation drive us to the brink of insanity (we will not be renting a car)? Is there any point to request a certain loop, which one, and how do you do this, etc.? Basically anything you can tell me that will help with my trip. We'll have grandparents and 3 children with us (11, 8, & 1). I saw this forum recommended for FW info.

Thanks Fort Friends!

Total newb when it comes to FW. I've been around Disney but haven't even set foot at this resort. What do I need to know. We're renting a cabin for the second week of December. Will transportation drive us to the brink of insanity (we will not be renting a car)? Is there any point to request a certain loop, which one, and how do you do this, etc.? Basically anything you can tell me that will help with my trip. We'll have grandparents and 3 children with us (11, 8, & 1). I saw this forum recommended for FW info.

Thanks Fort Friends!

:welcrowd:

Transportation at the Fort is great! The boats are fun - - and easy transportation to MK. From there we either go to MK or jump on the monorail to get to Epcot. We only use the buses to get to AK and HS. Honestly, the last 3 times we have gone, once we arrive and park the truck, we don't touch it again until we check out. I love it! You can request a certain loop by faxing the request 5 days before arrival..I don't have the number handy, but one of these fiends will jump in with that info.  As far as which loop to request, you'll find lots of opinions on that as well. Our favorite is the 400 loop. It is close to the marina, thus an easy walk to transportation.  It is alittle farther from the pool, though we still walk.  If you want to be closer to the pool/meadow (for campfire and movie), I know a lot of people like the 700 loop.

Hope you have an amazing trip!

Cindy

Welcome!!!!!!!!!

For groceries, I recommend www.wegoshop.com. They seem better priced than some other options. 

Transportation will be fine as long as you familiarize yourself with it. The Settlement is near the lake, and the Outpost is near the entrance. Boat to the MK leaves from the Settlement. Buses to DHS, Epcot, and AK leave from the Outpost. 

We'll have grandparents and 3 children with us (11, 8, & 1).

Whoa.

Hold on.

How many people are you going to have in that cabin?

It's going to be crowded.

And no car?

What are you planning to do for meals?

There aren't a lot of restaurant choices at the Fort, and none of them are very close to the cabins.

If you're planning to hit the parks hard, and eat all of your meals out at he parks, and just sleep in the cabin, it may be a good choice. Also, if you're going to have groceries delivered and eat a lot of meals in the cabin, it could work. With no car, there aren't any reasonably priced groceries for you to buy on your own.

With a mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, and three kids (one a one year old), it doesn't sound like the best family situation for one cabin.

As far as which loop to request, you'll find lots of opinions on that as well. Our favorite is the 400 loop. It is close to the marina, thus an easy walk to transportation. It is a little farther from the pool, though we still walk. If you want to be closer to the pool/meadow (for campfire and movie), I know a lot of people like the 700 loop.

You missed the part about them staying in a cabin. Those are camping loops.

TCD

Whoa.

Hold on.

And no car?

There aren't a lot of restaurant choices at the Fort, and none of them are very close to the cabins.

If you're planning to hit the parks hard, and eat all of your meals out at he parks, and just sleep in the cabin, it may be a good choice. Also, if you're going to have groceries delivered and eat a lot of meals in the cabin, it could work. With no car, there aren't any reasonably priced groceries for you to buy on your own.

With a mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, and three kids (one a one year old), it doesn't sound like the best family situation for one cabin.

TCD

Queen bed, Murphy bed and bunks should take care of everyone since #7 is a 1yr old.

There are no cabins in 400 or 700 loops.  The cabins are a little far from everything except for the few in the 100 loop.

Whoa.

Hold on.

And no car?

TCD

my bad :flush2:

Queen bed, Murphy bed and bunks should take care of everyone since #7 is a 1yr old.

I know that the cabins sleep six.

But they have very little storage, and I assume the baby is going to need to take a nap or sleep at different times than the rest of the folks. So there goes the bedroom when the baby needs to sleep.

Everyone gets to share one bathroom. That won't be so magical if everyone is trying to get ready at the same time.

I didn't say it can't be done. I said it's going to be crowded. And it is. Very.

TCD

Whoa.

Hold on.

And no car?

TCD

We've done worse at Disney... trust me! The grandparents will share the room with the big kids. And we'll take the Murphy bed with the baby in the pack 'n play somewhere in the room. We'll be ordering groceries but the only meals in the room will be breakfast and bedtime snacks. All our food will be eaten at the parks.

Thanks for all the info so far... it's quite helpful.

Here's another tip... The Getty-up and Go take out dinner at Trails End (at the Settlement). It's 10 pieces of chicken and sides, and it's about $25. There are picnic tables by the playground.

Since the cabins are pretty far from everything and you have a large group, I'd consider renting a golf cart. While not a "must," it would probably make your life a lot easier. 

Here's another tip... The Getty-up and Go take out dinner at Trails End (at the Settlement). It's 10 pieces of chicken and sides, and it's about $25. There are picnic tables by the playground.

Since the cabins are pretty far from everything and you have a large group, I'd consider renting a golf cart. While not a "must," it would probably make your life a lot easier.

The only thing is, that it would be cheaper for them to rent a car than it would be to rent a golf cart. The car won't help getting around the Fort, but it sure would help getting to parks and for grocery runs.

TCD

The only thing is, that it would be cheaper for them to rent a car than it would be to rent a golf cart. The car won't help getting around the Fort, but it sure would help getting to parks and for grocery runs.

TCD

True. I guess the transportation to and from the Fort doesn't bother me. I was thinking it would be helpful to get to and from the pool, campfire, Settlement, Outpost, etc. 

The fee wegoshop.com charges for grocery delivery is reasonable to save time too. We've decided that on our next trip, we're going to bring groceries down and use them for our mid-week grocery needs. I'd rather pay a little extra and lay at the pool vs. go grocery shopping. 

We've done worse at Disney... trust me! The grandparents will share the room with the big kids. And we'll take the Murphy bed with the baby in the pack 'n play somewhere in the room. We'll be ordering groceries but the only meals in the room will be breakfast and bedtime snacks. All our food will be eaten at the parks.

Thanks for all the info so far... it's quite helpful.

Google pictures of the bed room in the cabin. It's bunk beds and a double(?) pushed against a wall. Grandparents will have to coordinate getting in and out or one will have to crawl. Murphy bed takes up a good bit of room in the living room when it's down. 

Kitchen is well stocked and we had plentiful towels in the bathroom. Depending on loop if you are close to a loop with a comfort station a trip over there in the morning or night for parents/grandparents and older kids to shower might save you some time. 

The cabins are fun, though. Hopefully you'll have great outdoor weather and you can sit  and the kids can run around outside when you aren't at the parks. Make sure you at least get to know all the Fort has to offer so you can build in a couple of Fort days on your next visit.

Hmmmmm, now I'm second guessing! I did look at pictures of the cabin but failed to notice the bed was pushed up against the wall in the bedroom. Maybe this is not the best option for us!?! I can't put the grandparents on the murphy bed, the baby still needs to be close to momma.

The Pack-and-Play will fit between the full bed and bunks, or at the end of the bunks in the Bedroom. It will take up what little floor space there is, but it will fit.

TCD

Welcome!

I don't have any firsthand cabin experience, but we've got some stuff on our Info pages that might be helpful...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/cabins/cabins-overview-r93

Info on grocery delivery...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/cabins/fort-wilderness-cabins-grocery-delivery-r334

If you get a cabin in the 2100 loop, there is a bath house nearby.

Carol I was going to say the same thing but didn't know the loop number.  Is this the one that "shares" a comfort station with a camping loop?  That would help with the one bathroom issue.  And the comfort stations are kept very clean, so nothing to worry about there!  Plus, if it's the one I am thinking of, the comfort station gets very little use because that loop tends to have more big rigs and most of those folks use their own facilities.

I agree with TCD, if you're planning to eat some meals in the cabin, you'd be better off renting a car for at least part of your trip to make a trip to the grocery store.  I'm assuming you're flying in, perhaps one or two of the adults could rent an economy car for a day to get you set up with food, then return it to the airport and take the DME back to the Fort, if they'd allow you to.  I once rented an economy car at MCO for one day for about 20 bucks.  That's a lot cheaper than feeding 8 mouths on Disney property!

I'm assuming you're flying in, perhaps one or two of the adults could rent an economy car for a day to get you set up with food, then return it to the airport and take the DME back to the Fort, if they'd allow you to. I once rented an economy car at MCO for one day for about 20 bucks. That's a lot cheaper than feeding 8 mouths on Disney property!

I'm telling you... Wegoshop.com

Here are the fees....

7C154881-ED6F-41C4-BE11-7551DDF17C1E.png

4AB28607-2AF6-4294-A4DC-F702C594871D.png

Way less hassle than renting a car for a day, and you get to enjoy your trip while they do the work.

Carol I was going to say the same thing but didn't know the loop number.  Is this the one that "shares" a comfort station with a camping loop?  That would help with the one bathroom issue.  And the comfort stations are kept very clean, so nothing to worry about there!  Plus, if it's the one I am thinking of, the comfort station gets very little use because that loop tends to have more big rigs and most of those folks use their own facilities.

I agree with TCD, if you're planning to eat some meals in the cabin, you'd be better off renting a car for at least part of your trip to make a trip to the grocery store.  I'm assuming you're flying in, perhaps one or two of the adults could rent an economy car for a day to get you set up with food, then return it to the airport and take the DME back to the Fort, if they'd allow you to.  I once rented an economy car at MCO for one day for about 20 bucks.  That's a lot cheaper than feeding 8 mouths on Disney property!

Check out this thread for specific sites in the 2100 Loop that are very close to said comfort station.

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/5614-stayin-in-a-cabin-want-a-comfort-station-nearby-2100-loop/

Carol I was going to say the same thing but didn't know the loop number. Is this the one that "shares" a comfort station with a camping loop? That would help with the one bathroom issue. And the comfort stations are kept very clean, so nothing to worry about there! Plus, if it's the one I am thinking of, the comfort station gets very little use because that loop tends to have more big rigs and most of those folks use their own facilities.

I agree with TCD, if you're planning to eat some meals in the cabin, you'd be better off renting a car for at least part of your trip to make a trip to the grocery store. I'm assuming you're flying in, perhaps one or two of the adults could rent an economy car for a day to get you set up with food, then return it to the airport and take the DME back to the Fort, if they'd allow you to. I once rented an economy car at MCO for one day for about 20 bucks. That's a lot cheaper than feeding 8 mouths on Disney property!

If your going to rent a car you don't need to take it back to the airport. We rent a car all the time, I use enterprise, we pick up the car at the airport and then return it the next day to the Royal Plaza hotel on hotel plaza drive. And then take their free shuttle bus to which ever park we are going to that day. IIRC. The Swan/Dolphin has a rental car desk. Also the Hilton right next to DTD has a Alamo desk. You can drop off the car and walk across the street to DTD.

In saying all that I agree with Kelly. Have them Deliver your groceries. I've never used that company I've used gardengrocer.com. I don't know if they're more expensive or not. I was told about them years ago and have used them ever since.

If your going to rent a car you don't need to take it back to the airport. We rent a car all the time, I use enterprise, we pick up the car at the airport and then return it the next day to the Royal Plaza hotel on hotel plaza drive. And then take their free shuttle bus to which ever park we are going to that day. IIRC. The Swan/Dolphin has a rental car desk. Also the Hilton right next to DTD has a Alamo desk. You can drop off the car and walk across the street to DTD.

In saying all that I agree with Kelly. Have them Deliver your groceries. I've never used that company I've used gardengrocer.com. I don't know if they're more expensive or not. I was told about them years ago and have used them ever since.

Interesting.  I'll have to look into that since we will have several future visits where we will be flying in.

Although, I thought most rental car companies charged more if you don't drop off at the same place you pick up?  This has happened to me many times during business and personal travel.